• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 51, 2013

Should've waited for the PSN sale, y'mean. £17.99 + £9.99 for the PS3 - PS4 upgrade. Bargain.

I gave it serious thought, but I'm still hung up on owning a physical copy of my games.

It's slowly eroding though with me buying most games digitally on Vita and, on occasion, Wii U...

Salex_

Market has spoken and unsurprisingly, it's chosen the console that's £80 cheaper...

The 360 was $200 cheaper than the PS3 yet it got outsold every year since it released...? Price isn't the only factor.

Take a look outside the gaming industry and it's not uncommon to see cheaper similar products sell worse than more expensive products.

Shantom

The 360 was $200 cheaper than the PS3 yet it got outsold every year since it released...? Price isn't the only factor.

Take a look outside the gaming industry and it's not uncommon to see cheaper similar products sell worse than more expensive products.

In the UK, the 360 easily outsold the PS3.

So Mario isn't even in the top 40? Holy shit.

Wii U is a disaster in the UK. I think Nintendo just doesn't care or is hoping the removal of the Basic and a possible price drop on the Premium might draw a few people to the console...but that's nothing more than wishful thinking in my humble opinion.

"It's dead, Jim"

You're mixing worldwide numbers with UK numbers. US and UK were two of the markets where 360 consistently outsold ps3.

I was referring solely to the UK market.

Price (along with releasing earlier) was the determining factor for the success MS saw with the 360 and it'll be the reason why Sony see the PS4 lead this generation.

At least that's my take on it.

I hope Sony sees the GT6 sales and have a take away of "maybe we should have delayed this and had it be a PS4 title."

I wouldn't be surprise if Sony announced a PS4 port at some point, going so far as to give a discount to anyone who bought it on PS3...

Probably wishful thinking more than anything else, but it makes perfect business sense.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wouldn't be surprise if Sony announced a PS4 port at some point, going so far as to give a discount to anyone who bought it on PS3...

Probably wishful thinking more than anything else, but it makes perfect business sense.

Given the way Kaz is talking, I get the sense that GT7 is an enhanced port of GT6 and coming out relatively soon (like as in Fall).

Heimbeck

Banned

In the UK the 360 is the best selling console this gen.
But you have a point.

Salex_

I was referring solely to the UK market.

Price (along with releasing earlier) was the determining factor for the success MS saw with the 360 and it'll be the reason why Sony see the PS4 lead this generation.

At least that's my take on it.

Ah, forgot about the UK only part. I think being the only HD console on the market for a whole year was the big reason for the success, rather than the price itself. The friends effect during the highpoint of online gaming is strong.

OT: I'm surprised Just Dance (Wii) is still at the top of the charts. It's also top 10 on Amazon (US) video games Best Sellers of 2013.

Wii U still dead and Vita still dead.

tearaway on sale everywhere and still doesnt make top 40. That game has no appeal to even Vita owners.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Week 51

01. FIFA 14 (+18%) - 172,692
02. Call of Duty: Ghosts (+7%) - 155,692 ("'FIFA 14' beats 'Call of Duty: Ghosts' by a respectable 17,000 units")
03. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (+92%) - 117,980
04. Battlefield 4 (+17%) - 96,458
05. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (-17%) - 96,458 < x < 68,428
06. Grand Theft Auto V (+94%)
07. Just Dance 2014 (+18%)
08. Need for Speed: Rivals (+25%)
09. Killzone: Shadow Fall
10. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (+24%)
11. Gran Turismo 6 (-5%) - 31,720 < x < 32,917

Steroyd

Minecraft is absolutely absurd, I just can't wrap my head on how it's doing this well at retail, would have thought sales would peak as a digital title.

Vashetti

Banned
Minecraft is absolutely absurd, I just can't wrap my head on how it's doing this well at retail, would have thought sales would peak as a digital title.

Now that it's available on PS3, Sony would be fools not to get a physical release out there. The 360 version has sold too much at retail for them to ignore it.

SmokyDave

Sony should absolutely bundle the upcoming Vita version of Minecraft with Vita.

Yes, yes they should.

I noticed that my local Sainsbury's have restocked the Vita. They hadn't carried it for 6 months or more and then yesterday I spotted they've got 2 Tearaway bundles in at £159.99 with a 16GB card, Tearaway & LBP Vita.

The number itself is worth millions in sales.

GT5P sold 5 million, and it was a demo. GT6 ultimate with DLC car packs, better graphics etc.... for 40-60$ would do well. Besides there´s no way that PD can release GT7 next holiday, unless the employees numbers tripled or something. Besides brand name is more important than just temporary sales inflation. People expect GT7 to be next numbered GT, not just an redone GT6. That would hurt GT brand and PD´s name a lot.

Vashetti

Banned
Yes, yes they should.

I noticed that my local Sainsbury's have restocked the Vita. They hadn't carried it for 6 months or more and then yesterday I spotted they've got 2 Tearaway bundles in at £159.99 with a 16GB card, Tearaway & LBP Vita.

Maybe Zavvi sent them by mistake.

Mpl90

Full interview with James Armstrong (SCEE VP, CEO Spain+Portugal).

- PS4 has sold around 80.000 units to consumers (between 10.000 - 15.000 preorders haven't been fulfilled yet) as of December 9. That's between 3.1 and 3.4 times more than Xbox One.

- This week they have shipped 60.000 more units and they believe that any consumer will be able to find one. They expect to send a similar additional shipment before Christmas.

- With enough stock, PS4 may exceed 200.000 units sold by Reyes (6th of January).

- Last week PS Vita sold 7.000 units.

PS4, launch - December 8/9 (two weeks)- 80,000
PS4 December 9 - December 22 (two weeks) - 54,000

Given the first two weeks include launch, it sounds like sustained demand to me.

Guymelef

PS4-XBOne ratio in Spain 4.8:1
~28k XBone in Spain.

December 10th was 80k PS4 23k XBOne

54k PS4 sold in ~12 days
5k XBOne sold in ~ 12 days.

No WiiU games in the top 40 and one 3DS game in the top 30 in the week before Xmas... Very worrying for Nintendo esp as the UK was massive fans of the Wii/DS. All they can do is officially price drop the WiiU to £179.99 (same RRP as Wii) and market the hell out of it in the run up to MK8 in March. 3DS software needs an official price drop to £15-£20 aswell.

The complete failure of Mario 3D World in the UK is perhaps the biggest shock to me although the game has probably sold more in Japan than Knack has sold Worldwide.

Nintendo might as well just give up in the UK at this point with the Wii U. It's probably going to get dropped from a bunch of stores next year

Pain

Banned
Have any of Sony's recent PS3 ad campaigns worked?

Beyond bombed, GT6 apparently bombed by series standards. I think GTA5 was the only successful one for them in that sales were pretty close to those on 360...
Has nothing to do with ad campaigns.

Beyond flopped because its not that good of a game. It got mixed reviews.
GT6 flopped because PS4 just launched and and besides, UK is shooter-central just like the US.

Have any of Sony's recent PS3 ad campaigns worked?

Beyond bombed, GT6 apparently bombed by series standards. I think GTA5 was the only successful one for them in that sales were pretty close to those on 360...
Average Miles. The right word is average. Don't make this harder for me than it already is...

Has nothing to do with ad campaigns.

Beyond flopped because its not that good of a game. It got mixed reviews.
GT6 flopped because PS4 just launched and and besides, UK is shooter-central just like the US.
Beyond definitely flopped because of the mixed reviews and terrible release window. However, that doesn't mean it is a bad game. It's my GOTY along with The Last of Us, so speak for yourself.

Ty4on

Given the way Kaz is talking, I get the sense that GT7 is an enhanced port of GT6 and coming out relatively soon (like as in Fall).

The way Kaz talked about programming on the PS2 and PS3 it sounds like porting it wouldn't be all that straight forward. Like in this quote:
&#8220;When the [PlayStation 2] came out, one unique characteristic of that system was that the screen fill rate was very fast. Even looking back now, it&#8217;s very fast. In some cases, it&#8217;s faster than the PS3. There, we were able to use a lot of textures. It was able to do that read-modify-write, where it reads the screen, you take the screenshot, and you modify it and send it back. It could do that very quickly.

&#8220;I don&#8217;t know if anybody remembers, but when the PS2 first came out, the first thing I did on that was a demo for the announcement. I showed a demo of GT3 that showed the Seattle course at sunset with the heat rising off the ground and shimmering. You can&#8217;t re-create that heat haze effect on the PS3 because the read-modify-write just isn&#8217;t as fast as when we were using the PS2. There are things like that. Another reason is because of the transition to full HD.&#8221;

The PS2 had a 2560-bit bus between the GPU and eDRAM, the PS4 has a 256-bit bus between the GPU and RAM. Like the PS3 it was a weird console. Because of that I feel porting GT6 over to the PS4 would take more time than people expect it to. I'm not going to pretend like I understand how they've coded GT6 on the PS3, but with its unique setup of an archaic GPU and SPEs I believe it is very different to what a Gran Turismo on the PS4 would look like.

Edit:
Holy shit, Vita outsold Xbone.

I sold 360 numbers in Spain earlier in 2013
skype67.gif

10l.jpg

Pain

Banned
Average Miles. The right word is average. Don't make this harder for me than it already is...

Beyond definitely flopped because of the mixed reviews and terrible release window. However, that doesn't mean it is a bad game. It's my GOTY along with The Last of Us, so speak for yourself.
Haven't played Beyond. Didn't say it was a bad game. Was referring to the reviews.

Mpl90

PS4 v.s. One, Amazon.co.uk

PS4 + Killzone - 11th (in stock on January 10th)

PS4 - 15th (OOS)

Fifa 14
PS4 - 20th
One - 191st

Call of Duty:Ghosts
PS4 - 21st @ £45.03
One - 58th @ £ 48

Xbox One + FIFA 14 - 23rd

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
PS4 - 27th
One - 65th

Battlefied 4
PS4 - 29th
One - 38th

Dead. Rising 3 - 36th @ £44.99

Forza Motorsport 5 - 41st @ £44.99

Ryse: Son of Rome - 45th @ £44.99

Lego Marvel Super Heroes
PS4 - 54th @ £29.99
One - 161st @ £39.99

Need for Speed: Rivals
PS4 - 62nd @ £53.21
One - 310th @ £49.99

3DS situation across the three main EU countries

UK: 14 items in top 100, with the charger leading at 13th
Zelda, Pokémon X and AC are between 20 and 30, Pokémon Y 32nd.
Bravely Default is...strangely steady. It's around 60th place since its Amazon price became normal, @ £31.99. At launch, it was 83rd at max.
Fire Emblem is in top 100 as well...result of special deals or what?
Germany: 10 items in top 100, charger leading at 13th
Top 100 features Layton and Lego City. BD still sold out, near 60 Euros.
France: 27 items in top 100, 8 in top 20.
Bravely is 23rd, despite being OOS, top 100 features also Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Monster High.

Mpl90

If you could, do a Wii U roundup. Should be interesting.

Is the 3DS/2DS doing better than 2011 holiday? I know PS4/One launches are creating charting inaccuracies YOY, but still worth asking.

I don't know, Amazon makes it difficult to look back at specific months in the past ;_;

However, I just noticed this article on MCV

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/2013-a-good-year-for-some-a-bad-year-for-others/0126104

The portable has seen a number of critically
acclaimed released this year, hit 2m UK sales and is the UK’s No.1 console of 2013.

And now, we wait for UK last charts of 2013.

Mpl90

3DS is seriously the best selling system?
Why is software doing so terribly, piracy's not even an issue now.

Consider that, last year, despite the much, much worse software lineup & performance compared to this year, it obtained to be the second best selling console in UK, just behind 360.

Despite the software situation being just so-so at best, there have been improvements and these are currently hidden by all the SKUs of cross-gen titles. During one of the last weeks, 3DS had 8 titles in the All Formats top 40, which is something that's so uncommon in these days for exclusive titles for a single platform. Normally, you'd see more exclusive titles in the Individual top 40 for a single console compared to the All Formats top 40, but both launches reverted completely that principle. :p

liger05

Price. People have either got accustomed to smartphone prices or simply refuse to pay similar to what a home console game costs. The majority of 3DS games should be £20 - £25 with some lower at £15.

First of all, handhelds have a traditionally lower attach rate than consoles.

Second reason could be that there are too much other active systems/consoles on the market people are buying games for.

Third reason could be the pricing of the games itself, even if they're (far) more expensive to produce than smartphone games.

Actually, I'd like to see the actual development cost for smartphones currently, as they should increase with the better hardware too. (but the cheap prices aren't)

CANLI

First of all, handhelds have a traditionally lower attach rate than consoles.

Second reason could be that there are too much other active systems/consoles on the market people are buying games for.

Third reason could be the pricing of the games itself, even if they're (far) more expensive to produce than smartphone games.

Actually, I'd like to see the actual development cost for smartphones currently, as they should increase with the better hardware too. (but the cheap prices aren't)

But people don't seem to understand that 99% of cell phone game are big sh..

If they lower the game price, the developpers will have no more money to developpe another portable games (thinking the same for the vita).

Charts up
All formats:
http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015
Individual:
http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110032

* The final week of the year sees EA&#8217;s 'FIFA 14' (-31%) remaining at No1, taking a 5th week since launch as the top-selling software title, one more week than &#8216;FIFA 13&#8217; last year &#8211; the difference being that &#8216;FIFA 14&#8217; claimed the Christmas No1 this year (last week) whereas last year it was taken by &#8216;Call of Duty: Black Ops II&#8217; in week 51, 2012. Activision&#8217;s 'Call of Duty: Ghosts' remains at No2 (-24%) but is less than 2000 units behind &#8216;FIFA 14&#8217; and has also taken 5 weeks at No1 since launch. Ubisoft&#8217;s 'Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag' (-15%) remains at No3 having taken the top spot once back at launch (wk44) but has never been out of the Top 5. EA&#8217;s &#8216;Battlefield 4&#8217; remains at No4 for a 3rd consecutive week (-11%) having debuted at No2 in the same week as &#8216;Assassin&#8217;s Creed IV&#8217;. Rockstar/Take 2&#8217;s &#8216;Grand Theft Auto V&#8217; has been climbing for the past 3 weeks and moves back in to the Top 5 at No5 (-5%).

Top Bottom