• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gateway 3DS: First working 3DS flashcart? [Still region locked]

JordanN

Banned
http://ap.nintendo.com

Do your part. Take these assholes down.
Woah at that pissed off Mario. I guess this only happens when Nintendo stops screwing around.
bfkaoqb.jpg

duckroll

This forum is not the place to promote or to direct people to purchasing "backup managers" devices. The thread will be left open because this is still an interesting development in terms and considered news. Don't link to the site or to videos with such links.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Yes no more region lock!
No, yes more region lock

*Can it get around region blocking?
Nope. For the same reason listed above, you'll still need to use the correct region's ROM for your hardware, and won't be able to play any ROMS of games that haven't been released in your hardware's region. You also can't modify the ROMs without stripping the Nintendo signature and thus making this method no longer work

M3d10n

It's actually more inconvenient than swapping actual cartridges or using eShop games, which should keep it from spreading too much.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
If this could let me backup my saves and let me flash them to a cart I would be all over it.

For all the people cheering the non existent breaking of the region lock its worth noting that filthy pirates are probably one of the reasons for the region lock being introduced in the first place as it makes counterfeit cartridges (a big problem on the ds) less practical to produce

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I think I would be more against this if Nintendo had a proper account system that wasn't tied directly to my hardware.

Because as it is I am half scared to buy anything off the eshop.

I think the best thing Nintendo can do about a device like this is to simply improve their own digital game system in order to make more people comfortable with the idea of buying games digitally on the 3DS.
Give users an account system that will work across system: being able to play (most) PS1 games between PS3, PSP, and Vita if you have the same account.

Personally, I'm fine with buying cheap little VC or original 3DS eshop games, but I'm not comfortable enough at the moment to buy multiple $30-40 games for it. I bought (and got for free) a few downloadable games on the PSP and years after I sold my PSP I eventually purchased another one and all my games were right there available for me to download at the press of a button. I don't intend on losing or breaking my 3DS since I take very good care of my systems, but at the VERY LEAST and account system like PSN gives me peace of mind that my games are safe, even if they don't let me transfer across systems or anything like that.

I really hope Nintendo announces this kind of account system for the 3DS at E3 this year. They have mentioned it in the past, but their original date for it to launch is long gone I believe and I haven't heard a peep from them since. :(

baphomet

You will when devs use this as an excuse to drop support. All so you you have an attention problem that requires you to carry 30 games around? I carry one Kart and have all my digital games.

Enjoy when someone steals your 3DS and nintendo refuses to transfer your purchased games to the new unit like they did me.

I think I would be more against this if Nintendo had a proper account system that wasn't tied directly to my hardware.

Because as it is I am half scared to buy anything off the eshop.

Just look how good ms and Sony are being with their account systems, I'd be far more scared of them than I am Nintendo

baphomet

Don't leave us hanging. Why did they refuse?

Because its not policy to transfer games from a stolen system to a new one. Even though I had a police report. So basically I got fucked out of all my ambassador games as well as $150 worth of eshop purchases.

AzVal

If true i expect the sales of 3DS receive a boost

I have always been of the opinion that the easiest console to pirate is the one that wins its gen, happened with NES, SNES, PSX, PS2 and Wii, mainly due to third world country sales that are reported as US or EU sales due that the consoles are never officially launched here and a good number are imported from US or EU either by persons or retailers (this along with ridiculous taxes leads to outrageus prices).

I live in Costa Rica and there are business that have ran for over 10 years solely on chip installation, selling pirated games burned copies and sales of flashcards.

PhantomR

Banned
Because its not policy to transfer games from a stolen system to a new one.

No that's not true.

Even though I had a police report. So basically I got fucked out of all my ambassador games as well as $150 worth of eshop purchases.

If you had a valid police report you would've been taken care of immediately. Are you in Europe. NOE consumer service (ESPECIALLY UK based service) is a lot more strict about this than NOA is.

DonMigs85

Do you honestly think I give a fuck what people will do with it? I'll use it so I don't have to carry 30 games around with me all the time.
This kind of selfish attitude is what I hate. "I don't care if this enables piracy and hurts the future software prospects of the 3DS, I just HATE lugging around all my cartridges!"
Just buy games on the eShop - you can still back them up to your PC and in case you lose the system, whining and showing Nintendo a police report will get them to let you redownload onto a new system.

baphomet

This kind of selfish attitude is what I hate. "I don't care if this enables piracy and hurts the future software prospects of the 3DS, I just HATE lugging around all my cartridges!"
Just buy games on the eShop - you can still back them up to your PC and in case you lose the system, whining and showing Nintendo a police report will get them to let you redownload onto a new system.

Obviously you've not read anything I've posted because no, they won't recover your games even with a police report.

No that's not true.

If you had a valid police report you would've been taken care of immediately. Are you in Europe. NOE consumer service (ESPECIALLY UK based service) is a lot more strict about this than NOA is.

So you're telling me that the 3 Customer service people I talked to and 3 managers don't know their policy?

Thorakai

Because its not policy to transfer games from a stolen system to a new one. Even though I had a police report. So basically I got fucked out of all my ambassador games as well as $150 worth of eshop purchases.

I don't know how your experience with customer service went, but there are people in this forum that managed to get their digital data back up in the event of lost/damaged 3DS. If you are adamant and keep pestering customer service you can find someone willing to help you, or ask for a manager to get your stiff back. It is ass backwards that Nintendo still haven't implemented proper account system, but you keep pestering enough and all of a sudden the company policy won't mean anything if they can make you a happy customer.

I really think the 3DS could be an amazing handheld for emulation. This is not right now the case but this is probably the only way to have so. Also no region locking is something many users look (not me in particular but is a huge deal for other people). If nintendo have to suffer piracy because of their inpetitude and their backwards approach, then let them suffer I say. They'll survive with piracy, like the PSX, PS2, GC, Wii and many other did.

Mlatador

Banned
Nah, I'm not gonna support/use this. Fist, because I like physical copies of games. Second, If there is a great game I think is worth my time, I'd like to pay for it, to support the developers, especially since the 3DS seems to be one of the last safe havens for JRPGs and such.

DonMigs85

I really think the 3DS could be an amazing handheld for emulation. This is not right now the case but this is probably the only way to have so. Also no region locking is something many users look (not me in particular but is a huge deal for other people). If nintendo have to suffer piracy because of their inpetitude and their backwards approach, then let them suffer I say. They'll survive with piracy, like the PSX, PS2, GC, Wii and many other did.
Are you nuts? Many niche games won't see the light of day if piracy becomes rampant.
And there are so many other devices with faster processors capable of better emulation - not just phones but even open devices designed just for the purpose.

Obviously you've not read anything I've posted because no they won't recover your games even with a police report.

So you're telling me that the 3 Customer service people I talked to and 3 managers don't know their policy?

Considering numerous people on here have had stuff transferred with no or minimal fuss im inclined to think there's more to this story than you're saying

PhantomR

Banned
Obviously you've not read anything I've posted because no, they won't recover your games even with a police report.

3 managers? Then there's NO WAY you would've been denied eShop credit to your system if you provided a valid police report. No way. You know they can't transfer it for you because it's not possible, so they issue you eShop credit, right?

Did you call them for a situation before this? If they've taken care of you for something like this before, that's the only way I could see them denying that for you. And again, are you based in North America? NOA consumer service works very differently from NOE and UK consumer service.

luokyl

For all the people cheering the non existent breaking of the region lock its worth noting that filthy pirates are probably one of the reasons for the region lock being introduced in the first place as it makes counterfeit cartridges (a big problem on the ds) less practical to produce

Hardware manufacturers introduce region lock to combat piracy, consumers use "piracy" to combat region lock. *Jackie Chan gif*

The former statement is a little hard for me to believe. Everybody knows region lock is coceived purely to screw PAL gamers over.

baphomet

Considering numerous people on here have had stuff transferred with no or minimal fuss im inclined to think there's more to this story than you're saying

No, was stolen from car, filed police report, Nintendo refused help. There's nothing more than that. Forgive me if I don't think highly of them as a company, nor care for their system's well-being.

Are you nuts? Many niche games won't see the light of day if piracy becomes rampant.
And there are so many other devices with faster processors capable of better emulation - not just phones but even open devices designed just for the purpose.

If emulation could use the 3D screen then it would be much better than any of those other devices.

Also did no piracy helped software sales so far in the 3DS?. Did no piracy helped to get better prices?. Did no piracy helped localization efforts so far?. For one whole year we had to wonder if games like BD would come to EU/NA.

The problem handhelds is faing is competition from smartphones. Piracy did not killed indie titles on the iOS even of those devices can be pirated. Neither killed Android development even if Android is pretty much an open platform and piracy is almost as easy as downloading an APK.

Can anyone in this thread that claims piracy is going to hurt the 3DS link me to any sort of evidence that that will happen?

Because thinking piracy will hurt the 3DS when there is zero evidence of that happening is foolish.

Can anyone in this thread that claims piracy is going to hurt the 3DS link me to any sort of evidence that that will happen?

Because thinking piracy will hurt the 3DS when there is zero evidence of that happening is foolish.

We all know what happened with the ds, software sales (especially for more core orientated titles) dropped off like crazy

DonMigs85

Uhh, just look at the PSP and tail end of the DS lifecycle.

JordanN

Banned

One dev said he's going to stop making games for 3DS if it happens.

Jools Watsham said:
Piracy on the Nintendo DS crippled the DS retail market, especially in Europe. We’ll never know how/if Dementium II landed in as many hands as the first game, Dementium: The Ward, due to the rampant piracy at the time. Dementium: The Ward sold more than 100,000 copies worldwide, which is a great success for an original mature-rated title on the DS. Recorded sales of Dementium II are less than half that. We’ll never truly know why that was so, but many seem to believe that piracy had a lot to do with it.

If piracy gets bad on the 3DS, we will have no choice but to stop supporting the platform with new games.
http://joolswatsham.blogspot.ca/2012/12/3ds-piracy.html

Zebra

In what way would piracy not hurt the 3DS?

DonMigs85

If emulation could use the 3D screen then it would be much better than any of those other devices.

Also did no piracy helped software sales so far in the 3DS?. Did no piracy helped to get better prices?. Did no piracy helped localization efforts so far?. For one whole year we had to wonder if games like BD would come to EU/NA.

The problem handhelds is faing is competition from smartphones. Piracy did not killed indie titles on the iOS even of those devices can be pirated. Neither killed Android development even if Android is pretty much an open platform and piracy is almost as easy as downloading an APK.

What makes you think that will happen? Games have to be programmed with the 3D effect in mind. Not even Nintendo's official Virtual Console releases support 3D.

And iOS/Android apps are generally very cheap so you can't really compare them to Vita or 3DS games. Also there are TONS of iOS and Android devices out there so piracy can have a lesser effect.

Uhh, just look at the PSP and tail end of the DS lifecycle.

True. But it was also motivated in that case by the rise of mobile gaming.

PS2 or PSX never faced those problems. And if I remember right, by the end of PS2 life it was as simple as putting a DVD in the console.

What makes you think that will happen? Games have to be programmed with the 3D effect in mind. Not even Nintendo's official Virtual Console releases support 3D.

And iOS/Android apps are generally very cheap so you can't really compare them to Vita or 3DS games. Also there are TONS of iOS and Android devices out there so piracy can have a lesser effect.

Why not?. Other emulators offers 3D even if those games weren't programmed to have so. I don't know, but it could happen.

And little by little we see more pricey games on those systems. Also not every iOS/Android user plays games in those systems.

liger05

It will hurt the chances of trying to get more western 3rd party support.

Thorakai

I don't like this. The benefit of alleviating a tiny inconvenience in switching carts is far outweighed by the amount of people that will use this product to pirate games. Not even region locking is being addressed here.

Top Bottom