• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Sharp

I actually did watch the match. It was a close match, with a ton of winners from both players and some very exciting netplay by Tsonga. Djokovic tried hard, but he was not able to defeat a determined Tsonga in the end. Tsonga won his first ATP title, 7-6, 6-4.

Mets39

The news is in french, but i didn't found it on any English sites.
federer "needs a break" and it's possible that he's going to pass the rest of the season. However, he's got huges hopes for 2009, such as recover his throne (aka N.1 rank).

That surprise me a bit, espacially after his awesome US Open!

castle007

Banned
Mets39 said:
The news is in french, but i didn't found it on any English sites.
federer "needs a break" and it's possible that he's going to pass the rest of the season. However, he's got huges hopes for 2009, such as recover his throne (aka N.1 rank).

That surprise me a bit, espacially after his awesome US Open!

yeah, I guess he doesn't want to risk getting injured. And at this point in his career, GS titles are what matter the most. It is also nearly impossible to retain the number 1 ranking by the end of the year.

The worst case scenario is that the mono is back :(

Mets39

Battersea Power Station said:
What else would he have played this year anyway? I don't know what tournaments exist.

Well, there is 2 Master Series left (Madrid & Paris) and the Master Cup aka the unofficial 5th GS. Federer has points to defend (he won MC last year).

castle007 said:
The worst case scenario is that the mono is back :(

tbh, i think that's why he won't play again this year, there is no other apparent reason :(

castle007

Banned
:D :D :D

Jankovic wins her third title in 3 weeks!!!

I really hope that she ends the year as the number 1 player!! she is my favorite player out there

castle007 said:
:D :D :D

Jankovic wins her third title in 3 weeks!!!

I really hope that she ends the year as the number 1 player!! she is my favorite player out there

I don't care how many little tournaments she has won. If she hasn't won a major, she doesn't deserve the top spot.

Peru

I always think that the next Grand Slam is hers to win, I've done so this entire season, but somehow she stumbles inexplicably after playing a few great matches. Not sure what's going on in hear head.

MIMIC

Banned
The draw is out for the Madrid Masters

Interesting match-ups:

R2: Nadal vs. Gulbis, Stepanek vs. Federer

Potential match-ups:

R3: Federer vs. Tsonga, Monfils vs. Roddick
QF: Nalbandian vs. Del Potro, Federer vs. Nalbandian or Del Potro, Djokovic vs. Blake
SF: Federer vs. Roddick or Murray, Nadal vs. Djokovic or Blake

castle007

Banned
MIMIC said:
The draw is out for the Madrid Masters

Interesting match-ups:

R2: Nadal vs. Gulbis, Stepanek vs. Federer

Potential match-ups:

R2: Federer vs. Tsonga
R3: Federer vs. Del Potro, Monfils vs. Roddick
QF: Federer vs. Nalbandian, Djokovic vs. Blake

tough tournament for Roger. Federer vs. Tsonga is 3rd round not 2nd round, right??

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Man, I haven't watched a Tennis match since Federer lost to Nadal at Wimbledon. It's killing me!!

Mets39

Federer is there, good news!

"R2: Nadal vs. Gulbis" "Stepanek vs. Federer"

wow, already hard match for both men!

MIMIC

Banned
Nadal and Gulbis are playing now. Nadal leads 7-5, 1-4 (obviously trailing in the 2nd set).

I'm watching it here: http://www.justin.tv/superdeportes It's in Spanish (and interestingly enough for me, I just got back from Spanish class :lol)

EDIT: Nadal won. Gulbis, once again, had a mental meltdown in the 3rd set.

MIMIC

Banned
Djokovic is in a fuckin BATTLE against Victor Hanescu. Novak just won the last set 6-7(8), 7-6(6). Hanescu's 1st serve percentage is in the 80s @_@

rothgar

Just like everyone, I'm interested to see how Fed will play the tournament after his short break. Reason #2 to watch this tourney...the ball girls are models. :D

castle007

Banned
6-4 federer

wow at Tsonga 3 DFs in the last game. Best point of the set was the one that setup the 2 set points. (after that point, the commentator referred to Federer as "the world's number 1" :lol ) commentators are still not used to him being number 2.

Tsonga definitely felt the pressure of playing Federer in that game

lets see if he can relax in the second set

castle007

Banned
:lol :lol at Tsonga. Federer was about to hit a smash and Tsonga was trying to confuse him by jumping and waving his arms.

Federer 6-4 4-1

Bad luck to Tsonga. If it was any other player, I'd have given him a much stronger chance, but Federer is on a war path at the moment.

MIMIC

Banned
Djokovic isn't playing particularly well, IMO. At least he isn't against Karlovic. When you get into a rally with him (on Karlovic's serve), you're SUPPOSED to win the point.

castle007

Banned
MIMIC said:
Djokovic isn't playing particularly well, IMO. At least he isn't against Karlovic. When you get into a rally with him (on Karlovic's serve), you're SUPPOSED to win the point.

Yep, and be just lost the first set 7-6(4)

Peru

Not seeing that winning spirit in Djoko.

I want to see Karlovic's nerves tremble though. I propose a ban on players named Karlovic in tennis.

MIMIC

Banned
It's amazing how many UEs Djokovic made during the rallies. At times, he's hitting the lines with ease, then the next he's missing. He wasn't playing Federer. He's playing gigantic, lumbering Karlovic. He tried to be too good when he didn't have to be.

It's a good thing I'm watching tennis more objectively now or I'd be insanely pissed/disappointed :lol

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Murray wins 6-2, 6-2 over Monfils. Couldn't watch it because I'm at work, but the live text (and the score) made it sound like a pretty emphatic win. Should be interesting to see him go up against Federer again...

Wes

venison crêpe
Murray has already qualified for the Masters Cup though right?

Also, isn't the Madrid Masters the one where they hire models to be the ballgirls? :lol

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Wes said:

Yup, along with Nadal, Federer and Djokovic (unsurprisingly).

Wes said:
Also, isn't the Madrid Masters the one where they hire models to be the ballgirls? :lol

Damn it, they didn't mention that in the live text. :(

Leonsito

Wes said:

Yep

847886.jpg

http://www.20minutos.es/galeria/4971/0/0/
http://www.20minutos.es/galeria/5260/0/0/

castle007

Banned
Leonsito said:
Shit, I forgot that the game was soon, how are playing both guys ?

They are both playing well and serving well. But Del Potro is Double faulting on the big points just like Tsonga yesterday.

The slice is getting to Del Potro and the low chip return is killing him.

Federer is playing well, but he has made 10 backhand errors.

castle007

Banned
Federer wins 6-3 6-3 :D

I expected the match to be much harder.

Murray is next in the SF. That match should be the tough one. But I have said that for the last 3 matches :lol

Leonsito

I expected Del Potro to play much better, last games were horrible, Nadal is going to destroy him in the Davis Cup.

Murray - Federer in the first semifinal.

Mets39

Federer is getting more and more awesome! The Semi against Murray is promising (Revenge of the US Final)

Oh, and if Nadal reach the final of Madrid, he will be Number 1 for the rest of the year.

Top Bottom