• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Canova

Banned
here's my character with a big ass long penetrating sword

2910b517.jpg

I forgot to mention that I started this game as a soldier. I've been melee-ing my way through the entire game so far. I haven't gotten stuck or in too much trouble yet at SL 37, but patience is key.

I'm still focusing on leveling strength, endurance, and vitality. When can I expect to find some good armor and weapons? I've picked up lots of good drops already but can't use them for my class. I picked up the super heavy armor set at 1-1 with PWWT; it's way too heavy. The only pickups I've equipped so far are the adjudicator shield and fluted armor set.

Yesterday I tried to show this game to a friend but when I entered 4-1 I was immediatly invaded and killed.

He turned and asked me, "is the game always like this?"

I replied, "yes, yes it is"

Canova

Banned
goldsoundz said:
I forgot to mention that I started this game as a soldier. I've been melee-ing my way through the entire game so far. I haven't gotten stuck or in too much trouble yet at SL 37, but patience is key.

I'm still focusing on leveling strength, endurance, and vitality. When can I expect to find some good armor and weapons? I've picked up lots of good drops already but can't use them for my class. I picked up the super heavy armor set at 1-1 with PWWT; it's way too heavy. The only pickups I've equipped so far are the adjudicator shield and fluted armor set.

I don't want to spoil you, but eventually you'll find some good weapons and armors,

Tylahedras said:
Yesterday I tried to show this game to a friend but when I entered 4-1 I was immediatly invaded and killed.

after that, I bet you, he won't be rushing to the store to buy this game :lol

canova said:
I don't want to spoil you, but eventually you'll find some good weapons and armors,

after that, I bet you, he won't be rushing to the store to buy this game :lol
Thank you. I'm excited.

Tylahedras said:

The same thing happened to me after I cleared 3-1 and went back to body form. I loaded up 4-1, went to go brush my teeth, and came back to find that I had been killed by a black phantom. Fucker had no class.

Completed 1-2 with ease this morning. Soul level 38.

I probably died five times trying to make it to the bottom of that mine shaft on 2-2, and I almost beat Flamelurker on my first try.

oracrest

canova said:
someone at kotaku made this drawing :lol

original.png

So true.

I think I have seen a pretty sweet fanart of the Maneater fight, with the second Maneater coming in the background. I can't find it on my computer though. just this..

1264381763604.jpg

canova said:
someone at kotaku made this drawing :lol

original.png

Ha, had to fight these guys one on one with melee only, equipped the theifs ring, ran across to the other side, first maneater didnt see me so I waited for the second to spawn, fought him on the other side then went on to the first.

StylusX

Alien Manobo said:
You can also equip Crescent weapons for MP recovery.

I just picked up the Crescent Falchion on 4-1 :D As much as i'm loving this game there still sooo much i dont know, i apologise in advance for the stupid questions:
If i have the weapon equipped but not holding it, will my MP still replenish?
If i level it up will the MP replenish rate increase?

ninj4junpei said:
Tell me about it. :\ Fuck those guys.
What the hell made the developers put two maneaters? As if one maneater wasn't bad enough. That kotaku pic is so true. My Barbarian was strictly melee. You can imagine how fun that is. But then, I had the meanest Meatcleaver around.

Which is a really cool weapon by the way. It looks fucking scary to boot. I'm running around with my dragon sword and some Red phantom shows up. He thinks I'm easy money. Then I change my weapon to Meatcleaver and good lord, the dynamic of the battle immediately changes from offensive (red phantom) - defensive (me) to defensive (red phantom) - offensive (me) :lol Its always hilarious (and awesome) to watch.

Canova

Banned
StylusX said:
I just picked up the Crescent Falchion on 4-1 :D As much as i'm loving this game there still sooo much i dont know, i apologise in advance for the stupid questions:
If i have the weapon equipped but not holding it, will my MP still replenish?

1. no. you have to hold it
2. I dont think so, I think the rate is constant

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
StylusX said:

You'll still only recover one mana, but the frequency is slightly higher. (According to the wiki):

+ 1 1 Mana Regen / 5 seconds
+ 2 1 Mana Regen / 5 seconds
+ 3 1 Mana Regen / 4 seconds
+ 4 1 Mana Regen / 4 seconds
+ 5 1 Mana Regen / 3 seconds

You can combine two rates by equipping two crescent weapons, but they can never be same level(frequency) or one of them will be cancelled out.

To get the maximum recovery rate, equip one crescent weapon with level +5 (1 mana / 3 seconds), one with +1/2 (1 mana / 5 seconds) and a fragrant ring (1 mana / 4 seconds). HP recovery items should work the same way.

RustyNails said:
What the hell made the developers put two maneaters? As if one maneater wasn't bad enough. That kotaku pic is so true. My Barbarian was strictly melee. You can imagine how fun that is. But then, I had the meanest Meatcleaver around.
Because they are sadists, that's why. When the second one showed up, I was like
seinfeld.gif

So I'm doing the Old Monk in 3-3. I'm not sure what happened, but he literally one shot me. I couldn't tell if it was a BP NPC or someone actually invading.

zerokoolpsx said:
So I'm doing the Old Monk in 3-3. I'm not sure what happened, but he literally one shot me. I couldn't tell if it was a BP NPC or someone actually invading.

I think if its a bp npc he would be equipped with claws.

Risible

ninj4junpei said:
Because they are sadists, that's why. When the second one showed up, I was like
seinfeld.gif

That GIF perfectly depicts my attitude on finding out another Maneater was waiting in the wings. Bravo to you Sir.

Skilletor

I just beat the phalanx and some weird chick is telling me to talk to somebody, but i must have missed the part where the weird chick tells me where this is. Help!

MYE

Help!

Been playing this for a couple of hours and i've been doing pretty well, i think.
I managed to go past the dragon and pull the lever that opens the huge ass gate at the beggining of the Boletarian Palace.

Problem is, right after i pulled the lever i fell down a fucking flight of stairs trying to dodge a blob-like creature's projectiles and DIED :lol
So now i'm at the beggining, in soul form, but the gate is still open. Should i go back for my soul or is it okay if i go through the gate the way i am now?

Will dying in soul form undo all the shit i did so far?

panda21

basically its just:

-if you go to where you died and pick up the souls, you get back the souls you had when you died

-if you die without having picked them up, they disappear and you have lost them

this only affects your souls (the number in the bottom right). inventory, game progress, levels, any souls you already spent etc you get to keep regardless. think of the souls as unspent money, when you die you drop the money, but not what you have spent already or your items.

depending on how many you had, if its a long way you might not want to bother. if you fell off somewhere the souls should be where you were just before you fell off. its a little blue thing on the ground.

you're stuck in soul form now until you beat a boss anyway.. get used to it :p

MYE

FUUUUUUCK i just saw on Youtube that i died right before the last gate to the beggining of the level opens :lol

Okay, now i have my body in the farthest part of the level, but managed to still open the gate to the Phalanx boss.

What happens if i die in soul form in there? Will i have to push the lever to open the gate again?

Please help

edit:

thanks

Canova

Banned
MYE said:
FUUUUUUCK i just saw on Youtube that i died right before the last gate to the beggining of the level opens :lol

Okay, now i have my body in the farthest part of the level, but managed to still open the gate to the Phalanx boss.

What happens if i die in soul form in there? Will i have to push the lever to open the gate again?
Please help

edit:

thanks

no.

most levels have shortcuts like that. once you activate the shortcuts (opening the gate, activating the elevators, lowering the bridge, etc, etc) the shortcuts stay open even if you die

panda21

wait you got all the way to the phalanx and only died once just before it?! thats kind of impressive if you only just started playing.

now go try that red knight, he's a friendly guy, much easier than the blue.
D:

MYE

panda21 said:
wait you got all the way to the phalanx and only died once just before it?! thats kind of impressive if you only just started playing.

now go try that red knight, he's a friendly guy, much easier than the blue.
D:

Yes, i'm actually scared of myself :lol

I'm not the most skilled or experienced player when it comes to these games, like...at all, so yeah i'm quite honestly surprised at how i managed myself against most enemies without getting hit (too much) so far.

And i died once because i'm a moron and fell off the starway that leads to the last door before the boss room :lol

Anyway, i just upgraded my Long Sword 2x and learned the fire magic. I'm a total n00b so hope i'm not wasting my souls here.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Finally got Monk's Head Collar for my mage. Every time I invaded people were disconnecting. First guy that actually stuck around died in one Firestorm.:D

oracrest

A few personal milestones.

I passed the 100 hour mark with my character, and successfully defeated an invading black phantom! We were both strict melee, so it was a fun, challenging battle. :D

MYE, don't worry all that much about losing souls. Especially if you are focusing on exploring new areas of a world. That being said, I will generally always head back to the Nexus and level up if my souls reach enough to do so.

EDIT:
maneater.png

I am trying to get my hands on a Black Phantom edition of the game. I think I am going to try and start a magic based character, and go as lite on melee as possible, since that's all I have done so far. Just to be sure, playing a EU game on a US PS3 doesn't have any problems right? i just connect to the EU servers?

Shinjitsu

Banned
oracrest said:
I am trying to get my hands on a Black Phantom edition of the game. I think I am going to try and start a magic based character, and go as lite on melee as possible, since that's all I have done so far. Just to be sure, playing a EU game on a US PS3 doesn't have any problems right? i just connect to the EU servers?

Right, I think there's a total of one PS3 game with region protection. I play EU/Korean/Japanese games on my PS3 all the time and its a US PS3.

Minamu

Alright, managed to get my neighbour to finally try the game :D And even I learned something new. It's apparently impossible to die during the tutorial until you reach the Vanguard. He probably died 2-3 times over before he reached the boss.

I think it took him 3 tries to reach the red-eyed knight. But he actually managed to kill it due to a couple of super lucky soul arrow hits (yeah I made him a royal :p) but since he had barely grasped the concept of lock-on (but not camera control at all), he got backstabbed by the blue-eyed knight :lol So he got the red-eyed dude to follow him all the way to that portal without seeing anything in front of him :D We have now given up for the day (possibly forever). It's 0:30AM and I have school in 7 hours.

oracrest

Minamu said:
Alright, managed to get my neighbour to finally try the game :D And even I learned something new. It's apparently impossible to die during the tutorial until you reach the Vanguard.

Did it go something like this?

4u78l5.jpg

Minamu

:lol :lol Yeah something like that. I don't think he has played any Mega Man games nor did he figure out a boss tactic before dying. And his health bar was at the absolute zero so the killing blow lacked the appropriate impact so to speak :S

Okay, I'm convinced that 4-2 is the developers symbolically giving magic users the middle finger.

The reaper right around the corner was a real dick move.

Edit: I fucking love the Storm Ruler so much. O_O

oracrest

I still haven't found the one Maneater fan art I was looking for, but I am coming across other good ones I hadn't seen before. :D

332ulxw.jpg

5-2 is the fucking worst place ever. So many things that just drive you nuts. Ran threw both with my soldier and royal. That place is brutal. I wonder why no one ever invades that area? :lol :lol :lol
Planning to use Dragon Bone Smasher for the 3-3 event as the Old Monk. Good idea, or bad idea?
I'm using 4-4 for soul farming, but is there a faster way? Currently SL 75 on my royal and soldier.
If I beat 1-4, I can't increase my SL after that until Phalanx in NG+?
Also planning on taking Old King Doran with my poison weapon and death cloud. Anything I should know beforehand?

Top Bottom