• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once Upon A Time |OT| Happy Endings Gone Forever More

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if we'll see Wonderland again, or if they are putting off
Clara being the Red Queen for season two.

Because that's totally who she is.

Arment

Totally out of left field with that Stranger reveal for me. They really didn't hint at it much really, unless I missed something. I didn't think he was Baelfire though, that was all but confirmed last episode.

Fuckin' Emma though. She has problems.

I don't get why everyone thinks Emma should believe.

She's being told by her ten year old son that everyone is a fantasy character.

The evidence she would need for something that astonishing and unreal would need to be astronomically huge, and she has not had any yet. The Mad Hatter disappearing, Graham, and Jefferson looking like the Mad Hatter can be easily explained through common logic.

No, in order for her believe in that, she would need to see something with her own eyes.

SuperPac

Yeah, the CG in this show has come a long way since the earlier episodes. I rewatched the pilot this morning and when the Queen is barging in on Snow/Charming's wedding, the floor is moving faster than her feet (OOPS).

I was a little bit disappointed that they pulled the
"well then... take... a look... at THIS!" "Oh you can't see because you don't believe!"
thing. That was a bit of an eyeroll moment. Though without that I guess we wouldn't have much of a TV show, huh. (Henry makes a similar comment to that 1-2 episodes into the show, too. Heh.)

And to spin off an earlier comment that I made possibly about the finale -
I'm sure Emma kidnapping Henry and leaving Storybrooke would look good in any custody case. If Bae shows up and is the father or Gold claims he's Henry's grandfather then it's going to make it all the harder for her to 'win'.

I was a little bit disappointed that they pulled the
"well then... take... a look... at THIS!" "Oh you can't see because you don't believe!"
thing. That was a bit of an eyeroll moment. Though without that I guess we wouldn't have much of a TV show, huh. (Henry makes a similar comment to that 1-2 episodes into the show, too. Heh.)

Yeah, what a fucking cop-out. This show actually had the chance to do something, and it chose to stick to the status quo.

There's a reason why Lost and shows like it had viewer drop-off.

Loved the LOST easter eggs on this episode!!!!!

Oceanic plane was the only new one I caught. What else did I miss? They mentioned 8:15 time again and 108 on the Mayors door again.

Good episode. I really wish Emma's character would make some sense. Kidnapping, really? It's gonna backfire in the long run. It's like she doesn't have a brain. Really wish the writers would make her smarter.

Oceanic plane was the only new one I caught. What else did I miss? They mentioned 8:15 time again and 108 on the Mayors door again.

Good episode. I really wish Emma's character would make some sense. Kidnapping, really? It's gonna backfire in the long run. It's like she doesn't have a brain. Really wish the writers would make her smarter.
That sequence reminded me a lot of the first/last scene from LOST, the way it was shot, with Pinocchio lying on the ground just like Jack, looking up to the sky.

Medalion

Banned
Yeah it was a good ep, not super great, but good
I really enjoyed the Pinocchio sequence at the beginning in the Ocean, that was near film quality
But then all the effects that followed started to show their TV budget limitations

There was a sequence that bugged me that followed, Gepetto crash lands on the beach... I thought he had somehow crashed into the real world because everything looked..."real" and not showing some kinda indication it was the magic world besides the fact the Blue Fairy appeared.

How did Mr.Gold eventually figure out August's true Fairytale identity?

Regina looked really hot in tonight's ep to me. But I hated the whole seduction sequence gone awry and her doing the cliche throw the glass at the mirror bit.

The callbacks to the premiere was pretty nice

Emma's non-belief is driving me nuts... the more she is shown forcefully the more she refuses to accept... now she is outright kidnapping Henry.

How the fuck did she ever become a Sheriff? SHe is the most insane, emotionally unstable, close-minded person. Maybe that's why Regina hired her.

SuperPac

Process of elimination? He knows everyone in town because he owns the whole place and collects their rent. He knows that some people had left/escaped the curse (well, at least Emma and Bae). August shows up, he doesn't know him. Thinks he might be Bae. But when he realized that he isn't Bae and is from Fairytale Land it couldn't have been too hard to figure out.

But I hated the whole seduction sequence gone awry and her doing the cliche throw the glass at the mirror bit.

I thought in the very back of my mind that part of the whole thing was going to be Sidney taking spy shots or something and then delivering them to Mary Margaret to break them up further. But that would have been so extremely hokey and stupid that I hoped that wasn't the case. And I'm glad it didn't go that way. That David even talks to Regina after what she's allegedly done to two women he's been involved with...the guy doesn't seem that bright.

Emma's non-belief is driving me nuts... the more she is shown forcefully the more she refuses to accept... now she is outright kidnapping Henry.

How the fuck did she ever become a Sheriff? SHe is the most insane, emotionally unstable, close-minded person. Maybe that's why Regina hired her.

Regina didn't hire her - didn't the other sheriff appoint her deputy? (Then he died, and she took over as sheriff?) But, if it wasn't Emma then who else in Storybrooke is qualified for the job? They kinda all have their own things going.

DrEvil

not a medical professional

Oceanic 815 flying overhead of pinocchio
Pinocchio laying on the ground and the above mentioned shot was framed identically to LOST.
Regina's House is #108
August's Motorcycle's license plate was #42
August was on an island at 8:15

Mr. Gold giving a 'gentle nudge' is akin to Jacob giving a "little push".

Medalion

Banned
Emma is a complete moron
Emma couldn't make the connection that August was the boy in the story who saved Emma when she was a baby, she had to have it spelt out for her, and she still refused to believe... she doesn't believe anything when people tell her things
She is a terrible daughter for Snow White... clearly she must've bumped her head inside that Tree when she teleported over

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I don't get why everyone thinks Emma should believe.

She's being told by her ten year old son that everyone is a fantasy character.

The evidence she would need for something that astonishing and unreal would need to be astronomically huge, and she has not had any yet. The Mad Hatter disappearing, Graham, and Jefferson looking like the Mad Hatter can be easily explained through common logic.

No, in order for her believe in that, she would need to see something with her own eyes.

This. I think I said something similar earlier in the thread. Obviously we know the "truth" of these characters because a) we're presented with it as fact and b) it is a tv show where we're pre-disposed to believe fantastical events which would not occur in our own reality. If someone came and told you that everyone in your town is secretly a lizard person, even if you saw a couple of people basking in the sun and someone looking all weird you probably wouldn't immediately believe it was true. Emma believes as we do, that there is no such thing as magic and fairy tales aren't real, it'll take a lot to convince her.

The ending of this episode with her basically kidnapping Henry is a little weird. She's obviously freaking out at the idea all this stuff could be real and can't deal. I assume she had an idea based on her ability to tell when people are lying, she just didn't want to accept it. Part of me hopes she just parks slightly outside the border of the town and then calls out Regina to come get him.

SuperPac

This. I think I said something similar earlier in the thread. Obviously we know the "truth" of these characters because a) we're presented with it as fact and b) it is a tv show where we're pre-disposed to believe fantastical events which would not occur in our own reality. If someone came and told you that everyone in your town is secretly a lizard person, even if you saw a couple of people basking in the sun and someone looking all weird you probably wouldn't immediately believe it was true. Emma believes as we do, that there is no such thing as magic and fairy tales aren't real, it'll take a lot to convince her.

This is a great point, and I agree with this. But in this episode IMO they stepped a bit over the line when August showed her his leg and she didn't see it. That's just pulling the rug out from the viewer. I get that she doesn't believe because people are telling her this stuff, but if she's just 'not going to see' when presented with evidence, it feels like they're stalling for time. I hope/trust that they're not going to do that for long, 'cuz that would be annoying.

The ending of this episode with her basically kidnapping Henry is a little weird. She's obviously freaking out at the idea all this stuff could be real and can't deal. I assume she had an idea based on her ability to tell when people are lying, she just didn't want to accept it. Part of me hopes she just parks slightly outside the border of the town and then calls out Regina to come get him.

That would be an interesting little twist. We haven't seen what happens when someone from Storybrooke leaves or tries to leave.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
This is a great point, and I agree with this. But in this episode IMO they stepped a bit over the line when August showed her his leg and she didn't see it. That's just pulling the rug out from the viewer. I get that she doesn't believe because people are telling her this stuff, but if she's just 'not going to see' when presented with evidence, it feels like they're stalling for time. I hope/trust that they're not going to do that for long, 'cuz that would be annoying.
That's true, it's an awkward step in the show to have her looking at direct evidence and not see it because she's in denial. If she sort of thinks it might be true but doesn't want to accept the responsibility then she should see it and turn willingly away. If she truly needs to believe to see the magic stuff going on, and she doesn't believe it, then she shouldn't have reacted as she did as she wouldn't truly feel responsible for the town. I'm in the same boat as to hoping they do right with that sort of thing.

That would be an interesting little twist. We haven't seen what happens when someone from Storybrooke leaves or tries to leave.
Well, Katherine disappeared while driving her car out of town. She vanished and reappeared elsewhere, maybe this would happen. Although it is hinted that Mr. Gold had something to do with that so it might have been his intervention. I have this niggling feeling that someone else tried to leave at one point and events conspired to bring them back to town but I can't remember who it was. I may be imagining things.

Well, Katherine disappeared while driving her car out of town. She vanished and reappeared elsewhere, maybe this would happen. Although it is hinted that Mr. Gold had something to do with that so it might have been his intervention. I have this niggling feeling that someone else tried to leave at one point and events conspired to bring them back to town but I can't remember who it was. I may be imagining things.

Didn't we see her love from Fairytale world grabbing her out of the car after she crashed or am I imagining things?

EDIT: It seems I'm imagining things indeed, it was the gym teacher who found her car but she wasn't there :(

Raistlin

Yeah it was a good ep, not super great, but good
I really enjoyed the Pinocchio sequence at the beginning in the Ocean, that was near film quality
But then all the effects that followed started to show their TV budget limitations

There was a sequence that bugged me that followed, Gepetto crash lands on the beach... I thought he had somehow crashed into the real world because everything looked..."real" and not showing some kinda indication it was the magic world besides the fact the Blue Fairy appeared.

Regina looked really hot in tonight's ep to me. But I hated the whole seduction sequence gone awry and her doing the cliche throw the glass at the mirror bit.

The callbacks to the premiere was pretty nice

While it is a cliche, it makes a lot of sense given who she is. Mirror mirror and all that.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Didn't we see her love from Fairytale world grabbing her out of the car after she crashed or am I imagining things?

I might be wrong here. The way I I remember it they showed her driving off, but later it cut back to her empty car after it had crashed and she had vanished, I'll have to go back and check.

I might be wrong here. The way I I remember it they showed her driving off, but later it cut back to her empty car after it had crashed and she had vanished, I'll have to go back and check.

yes, I already checked (on the wiki) I just remembered a guy finding her, but it was actually some other guy who found the car, not her :(

That's true, it's an awkward step in the show to have her looking at direct evidence and not see it because she's in denial.

Yeah, creating drama just so it is there is just shitty writing.

But hey. These people worked on Lost.

Shut up, I loved Lost, but come the fuck on.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Its known and all, but damn Regina is hot. Im rooting for her just because of it :lol

Emwitus

I'm loving this show so far. Wasn't following it for a while, but caught up just recently and it's gotten more magical and fairy tailish.....if that makes any sense. Almost feeling like some classic disney movies at times. The real world obviously less interesting than the fairy world but not enough to drag down the whole show. Loving it so far.

Arment

Yeah, the CG in this show has come a long way since the earlier episodes. I rewatched the pilot this morning and when the Queen is barging in on Snow/Charming's wedding, the floor is moving faster than her feet (OOPS).

That was intentional. I'm 99% sure it was.

Its known and all, but damn Regina is hot. Im rooting for her just because of it :lol

Yeah, I'd hate fuck her so hard.

Yeah, creating drama just so it is there is just shitty writing.

But hey. These people worked on Lost.

Shut up, I loved Lost, but come the fuck on.

I'm waiting for August to yell at Emma, "Why do you find it so hard to believe?!"

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I chose the episode from two weeks ago to bring a friend into this show cold turkey while filling him in to plot details as we went along. Not only did I feel like a dipshit trying to explain the inner workings of this mess of a show to him, but I managed to bring him in to two of the worst, most humorless episodes of the entire show's run. That last episode sucked out loud. :(

Arment

I'd bring someone in on episodes 1 - 4. If you don't like a show by 4 episodes in then you're probably never going to.

Medalion

Banned
I don't quite agree... I felt it took about 6 or more eps to get the feel down for it. It was the one where David as Prince Charming fought the Dragon etc, that ep was gold to me.

I don't quite agree... I felt it took about 6 or more eps to get the feel down for it. It was the one where David as Prince Charming fought the Dragon etc, that ep was gold to me.
Same as me. I watched with my wife and Rumple hooked me, but I didn't enjoy the show as a whole until that exact episode. Was won completely over by Rumple's backstory in 8?

Is the season finale a two hours episode or just one? I will miss this show so much!

EDIT: just found out it's only one hour :(

I guess it's better so it's more action packed. Also this show always surprises me because it never feels like it ends too soon. There have been many times I've thought the episode is over before it actually is (like tonight, I thought it would end when Emma got the Apple thing)

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Snow White and the Dwarves storming the castle is the reason I watch this show. I put up with all the hammy performances and middle school plotting so I can see an army of fairies throwing magic balls of sleeping powder onto groups of dudes in knight armor and Grumpy shanking some poor chump in the back with a pickaxe. I don't see how the finale is going to top that but here's to hoping.

aett

Snow White and the Dwarves storming the castle is the reason I watch this show. I put up with all the hammy performances and middle school plotting so I can see an army of fairies throwing magic balls of sleeping powder onto groups of dudes in knight armor and Grumpy shanking some poor chump in the back with a pickaxe. I don't see how the finale is going to top that but here's to hoping.

Haha, I felt bad for the two or so guys that actually got killed in that battle.

Medalion

Banned
Pretty cheesy ep last night, a bit more than I could stomach at times
Henry taking one for the team was noble but I wouldn't miss him if he "died"

And looks like I was right about the Mad Hatter not going to Wonderland through the Hat when so many people here thought he did make it back through.

Well.
So Jefferson's return would have been much more awesome if we were not led to believe that he got out.

And now Regina has the power to go back home?

And suddenly Henry reveals that he didn't actually believe in the stories up until Pinnochio/August showed him?

This show really is so bipolar.

We need a smoke monster, STAT.

That was the worst episode I've seen of this show. Terrible effects and action. And so much broken in the plot.

So Mr. Gold
designed the curse to be broken by killing Emma.... So why has he never tried all fucking season?!

Regina happens to have
a totem of love/magic which has never been seen or hinted at all season?
It would have been nice if they
made mention of it somehow or showed its powers earlier to give it more oomph when she uses/sacrifices it.

And lying to us or at least never giving us any sort of clue as to what happened to
the mad hatter is bad writing. Nearly as bad as lying to us about August being Rump's son and then "lololol NOT".

So Mr. Gold
designed the curse to be broken by killing Emma.... So why has he never tried all fucking season?!
Because the whole point of
creating the curse was to be able to go to the "real world" and find his son. Until he has his son back, killing Emma would ruin the plan.

Because the whole point of
creating the curse was to be able to go to the "real world" and find his son. Until he has his son back, killing Emma would ruin the plan.
Oh duh haha. That's right. When he
finds his son, then he can ax her and go back to fantasy land.

Kind of jumped the gun on that one.

And lying to us or at least never giving us any sort of clue as to what happened to
the mad hatter is bad writing. Nearly as bad as lying to us about August being Rump's son and then "lololol NOT".

While I agree with your first point, the second point was meant to be a turn-around.

But yes. All in all, that episode was a shitload of Deus ex Machina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom