• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox One Call of Duty Ghosts, confirmed only 18 players per Map (9 Per Team)

Aren't CoD maps built for small player numbers? It'd be even more chaotic than it already is if they upped the player count on next-gen consoles.

sflufan

Banned
Aren't CoD maps built for small player numbers? It'd be even more chaotic than it already is if they upped the player count on next-gen consoles.

Exactly - CoD maps aren't supposed to be sprawling affairs with large amounts of players on either team.

That's what the Battlefield series is for!

nampad

I don't think it is a problem for a game like CoD. Gameplay and maps are more suited to that number of players. I actually think more would be worse for the game and I normally enjoy FPS with big scale battles.

Am I suppose to be shocked?

Isn't this the regular player count for CoD? They can't just throw a bunch more players into a small map on next gen, that would be a horrible experience.

Sorry if common knowledge, obviously was not to me, and I find it disappointing Activision can not get more players on their maps with the next gen consoles.

It is common knowledge for anyone who plays Call of Duty. It's not a Battlefield game, the maps are smaller as a design decision and the game is meant to be played with less players. 18 players is probably going to be a Ground War mode like all previous CoD games and the regular mode will have 12 players.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
I'm ok with this. If I want large numbers of players in a game I'd go with Battlefield. Not every game has to have 64 players or so.Hell that they even upped the number at all is nice.

Tak3n

Banned
As you all know, this is more of a design philosophy than hardware limitation or laziness really.

good point, I still don't think it would of killed them to use the extra power to give some bigger maps with more players, but obviously they are sticking with what works best I guess

Storm360

Not sure why you'd want more, CoD maps are awful with large player counts, try CoD 4 on PC to see for yourself

On the other hand, 18 is a weird number for a MP game, might as well go 20

Skyzard

Banned
If they ever drop it to 5 or 8 aside then I'll consider jumping back to cod. Too hectic for me now, even been put off battlefield due to codization

kyo27

TDM is 6v6 and Groundwar is 9v9 on current gen. This series is all about small maps and quick respawning, any more players would just make it a cluster****

~~Hasan~~

so 64 players for xbox one BF4.
18 for COD.....

am i getting this correct ?

lol if that is the case, i don't know what to say. i just hope BF4 sell more this year. not because i hate COD, its because i want the developers to wake up and stop releasing the same game under different skins.

EDIT: typo 18 not 19 players COD

angrygnat

Having started COD on the PC with fourty-leven people on the map, I can tell you, it just ends up being a spawn spamfest on some of the smaller maps. If you're looking to level up fast I guess that was cool but ultimately very unsatisfying. Tighter maps mean less people, but in the end, plenty of contact. Balance y'all!

Skilletor

Same, probably. It's not a technological limitation or anything.

CoD is not Battlefield, and it doesn't want to be.

Then the thread title should be updated so as not to incite fanboy comments. Makes it sound like it will be more players on other platforms.

see5harp

so 64 players for xbox one BF4.
19 for COD.....

am i getting this correct ?

lol if that is the case, i don't know what to say. i just hope BF4 sell more this year. not because i hate COD. i am buying COD day one as i am buying BF4.

but damn man.

What does the number of players per team for a multiplayer shooter have to do with the quality of said title? Big team battle for Halo always sucked compared to the 4v4 matches.

ultron87

With any more people than that I assume there would just be UAVs and artillery raining down from the sky at every possible moment.

Top Bottom