• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I started my final road towards my gastric sleeve today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
Oh also, I forgot to mention... I'll be on optifast for 4 weeks...

The doc predicts that I should lose 40-50lbs just through those 4 weeks before the surgery lol

Kumquat

How you doing lately? Hopefully the nausea has receeded and you are in less plain.

I have been feeling much better. I was waiting until my doctor appointment Thursday to do another update. My diet will be changing again. We will start putting me on my regular diet. I'll update tomorrow after.

smokey5604

Neo Member
I am seeing my doctor tomorrow to talk to him about this procedure. I live in California, I am 6'3 and on the upper end of 400 pounds. I've been terrified to weigh myself for the last few months now and tomorrow I will find out for sure. The problem I am currently seeing though as I haven't found much in my research on the surgery is that I have obstructive sleep apnea and I haven't been able to adjust to using my bipap after a year or so of trying. On top of that I have a disease called Von Willibrans that makes it difficult for my blood to clot if I am hurt and bleeding. I have tried everything under the sun as far as trying to lose weight and I belI've it is my sleep apnea keeping me from losing the weight. I was wondering if anyone knew if my doctorn is going to outright reject me based off of my problems? I'm really hoping that he might still consider it because I am running out of options it seems and I just want to be healthy :/.

Oh and another thing, the Von Willibrans does have medication to help in the event that a surgery is needed so I think that may not be as big of an issue. We used a medication when I got my wisdom teeth removed and it was very successful.

Girlfriend again, I finally stole his phone to read up and post.

He's on the final stretch now waiting for clearance and insurance approval. Through all of his up and downs, I've only ever steadily gained weight. Although I'm not fat enough to be considered for it, and I have no underlying issues and none of it runs in my family. It makes me resentful because I was the only one that hated my weight gain and here he gets the ticket to solve his problems when he didn't want it to begin with.

Megasoum:
Good luck with it. Free health care is never perfect but at least its there in emergencies. The state of California subsidizes a huge portion of Medicaid and offers a significant more than what the federal government allows, so not all states are so lucky as he is. People invest a lot of money into a lot of frivolous stuff, but as long as you make it work for you and you succeed, then it'll be worth it. Heck, we've already spent thousands on health stuff (gym membership and personal trainer and protein shakes) and feels like we haven't hai an ounce of success.

Smokey:
Just keep fighting your doctors and insurance for what you need. You are your biggest activist and the only one that cares about your health. You have to push for what you want and need. There's always a different doctor and appeals to insurance.
The procedure now is done laparoscopic and so the incisions are very small. The OP posted pics of his on page 2 to get an idea of it. Don't put barriers in your way or you won't fight for what you want and allow the doctors and Insurance to turn you down.

Kumquat

Doctor said I am doing very well. I have now lost 50 pounds and I'm feeling so much better. It was a rough road especially with the diverticulitis but I'm finally starting to feel like myself again.

My diet is now a normal diet, I just need to watch the carbs and sugar and I eat much less. For a celebratory meal I went out for fajitas. I had one fajita and it filled me up completely. I have enough left over for at least 2 more meals, if not 3. My stomach grumbled a bit but it was so worth it.

Megasoum

Banned
Sounds like I finalized the last details for the financing!

Next step is to call the clinic on monday to take the pre-op appointment where they'll do a bunch of tests on me (including sleep apnea) and give me my Optifast for the next 4 weeks of 900 calories hell lol.

Starting to look like I'll be getting the surgery in early December!

Lots of stress over the last couple of weeks but also very exciting time!

Kumquat

Sounds like I finalized the last details for the financing!

Next step is to call the clinic on monday to take the pre-op appointment where they'll do a bunch of tests on me (including sleep apnea) and give me my Optifast for the next 4 weeks of 900 calories hell lol.

Starting to look like I'll be getting the surgery in early December!

Lots of stress over the last couple of weeks but also very exciting time!

I'm excited for you man. I hope my stuff here will help you. If you have any questions that you feel may be really personal to ask in the thread then don't hesitate to PM me. I will answer with complete honesty.

Here is a picture I took tonight at 50 pounds down.

LBX0BW2.jpg

Kumquat

Girlfriend again, I finally stole his phone to read up and post.

He's on the final stretch now waiting for clearance and insurance approval. Through all of his up and downs, I've only ever steadily gained weight. Although I'm not fat enough to be considered for it, and I have no underlying issues and none of it runs in my family. It makes me resentful because I was the only one that hated my weight gain and here he gets the ticket to solve his problems when he didn't want it to begin with.

Megasoum:
Good luck with it. Free health care is never perfect but at least its there in emergencies. The state of California subsidizes a huge portion of Medicaid and offers a significant more than what the federal government allows, so not all states are so lucky as he is. People invest a lot of money into a lot of frivolous stuff, but as long as you make it work for you and you succeed, then it'll be worth it. Heck, we've already spent thousands on health stuff (gym membership and personal trainer and protein shakes) and feels like we haven't hai an ounce of success.

Smokey:
Just keep fighting your doctors and insurance for what you need. You are your biggest activist and the only one that cares about your health. You have to push for what you want and need. There's always a different doctor and appeals to insurance.
The procedure now is done laparoscopic and so the incisions are very small. The OP posted pics of his on page 2 to get an idea of it. Don't put barriers in your way or you won't fight for what you want and allow the doctors and Insurance to turn you down.

You shouldn't be too resentful. It's not his fault. If you can't qualify for the procedure then that's good. It means your health is pretty good. It's not a magic bullet and it is a lot of pain and hard work. It's a tool, nothing more.

Kumquat

Just out of question, what are the main benefits (and cons) of this surgery?

I presume appetite suppression is a major factor?

That is a big one. It also limits what you can take in and really forces you to choose nutrient packed foods, especially protein. Also if you take in too much sugar you will have what is known as dumping syndrome. It is as unpleasant as it sounds. I haven't experienced it yet because I have been a good boy so far.

The con? It changes your way of life. Things you took for granted all your life are suddenly not there. It will rock your entire world. It's a good and a bad thing. It may really screw with your head if you let it.

Kumquat

That feel when you go back to work after a month and everyone is telling you how great you look and that your clothes that used to be tight on you now look like your older brothers hand me downs.

Megasoum

Banned
Had my pre-op appointement this morning.

Surgery is set for December 7th! I'm starting Optifast Wednesday of next week.

This whole thing is starting to feel real and exciting!

I met the nutritionist for the first time today and also got the equipment to do the sleep Apnea test tonight.

So many appointements!

DBT85

I know someone who had it about 6 years ago and lost about 11st in a year. It made a huge difference for him and I'm glad he got it done.

However, please do not rest on your laurels with this surgery. When he first came out he was on shakes and stuff and after a period could then eat very small normal food. As you know, I'm talking 2 chips and a chicken nugget type small.

However, the longer it goes, the more you can eat and the better YOU get at getting around not being able to eat much. Instead of only eating half a sandwich, its easy to eat half, wait 30 mins and then eat the other half. Same with every other meal.

He's probably only put 2st back on, but could have actually lost 3 or 4 more had he continued as he was.

I know how he got the way he did, and he never dealt with those issues, never worked out why he ate like he did or ate the things he did. Talk to someone, find out why you got where you got, use that knowledge to help you in the years to come. Of the possible surgeries to have I believe this is the best one, but you still gotta work at it down the line!

Best of luck!

I have my own issues with food that I'm slowly dealing with (no soda for 14 months or packaged sweets like Mars or Skittles etc), but I've not yet cracked eating takeaways and cookies while I'm bored off my ass at work. I'll get there.

i know someone that had the gastric sleeve procedure done and within 2 years he was back to the state he was in before. I believe the doctors say the chances of that happening are 70% or something along those lines.. my advice would be to completely cut out all bad foods and stick to your diet.

halfbeast

Banned
That is a big one. It also limits what you can take in and really forces you to choose nutrient packed foods, especially protein. Also if you take in too much sugar you will have what is known as dumping syndrome. It is as unpleasant as it sounds. I haven't experienced it yet because I have been a good boy so far.

The con? It changes your way of life. Things you took for granted all your life are suddenly not there. It will rock your entire world. It's a good and a bad thing. It may really screw with your head if you let it.

had a yoghurt a month after surgery. it was fun, kinda like getting roofie'd.

i know someone that had the gastric sleeve procedure done and within 2 years he was back to the state he was in before. I believe the doctors say the chances of that happening are 70% or something along those lines.. my advice would be to completely cut out all bad foods and stick to your diet.

I had to take a psychic evaluation before surgery (it was mandatory), just to make sure patients are aware of the drastic change.

KingBroly

Banned
Had my pre-op appointement this morning.

Surgery is set for December 7th! I'm starting Optifast Wednesday of next week.

This whole thing is starting to feel real and exciting!

I met the nutritionist for the first time today and also got the equipment to do the sleep Apnea test tonight.

So many appointements!

The amount of appointments will help you sleep from running around everywhere.

The night before my surgery I couldn't sleep, and so ironically I watched Super Size Me. Really helped me.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

No, you must have misheard, a high percentage gain some weight back but it's about 8% of the weight they lost. 80% of patients keep off at least 50% of the amount they lost.

You do have to be careful though and learn to eat better.

Kumquat

60 pounds down now and feeling great. I'm about to start bringing in low weight high rep exercises to help with toning. I'm not near recovered enough to do heavy weights but I can start doing some light stuff. I'm looking forward to it.

I finally got the sleeve submitted through insurance. Now I just have to wait. I've kind of been preparing by drinking water and changing my diet to more eggs, almond butter and protien shakes, but I haven't done a pure liquid diet quite yet. I hope to get it done some time in January so I can at least enjoy thanksgiving and it's carby goodness which I've been avoiding for months, but I want a last big bang so to speak.

Kumquat

I finally got the sleeve submitted through insurance. Now I just have to wait. I've kind of been preparing by drinking water and changing my diet to more eggs, almond butter and protien shakes, but I haven't done a pure liquid diet quite yet. I hope to get it done some time in January so I can at least enjoy thanksgiving and it's carby goodness which I've been avoiding for months, but I want a last big bang so to speak.

Get it out of your system now because sometimes I have such crushing carb cravings, especially for some cornbread dressing.

Been about 2 years since I had the surgery. Lost around 80 lbs. As far as how much I am able to eat, I would say 1/3 - 1/2 of a normal meal. When I started, it was about an egg. The most important advice I can give is to learn to eat well in the early stages and don't stop. Make smart decisions when you go out. Social pressures will lead to bad food choices. Nix all soda. You drink water. Only water but use some crystal light packages to mix it up.

Megasoum

Banned
I started the Optifast diet this morning... This is gonna be a loooooong month lol

Any of you guys have suggestions as far as the vegetables "meals" go during that diet?

I have a list of which vegies I can eat (mostly the green stuff basically) but without the extra stuff I would normally put in a salad if gets a bit boring...

Been about 2 years since I had the surgery. Lost around 80 lbs. As far as how much I am able to eat, I would say 1/3 - 1/2 of a normal meal. When I started, it was about an egg. The most important advice I can give is to learn to eat well in the early stages and don't stop. Make smart decisions when you go out. Social pressures will lead to bad food choices. Nix all soda. You drink water. Only water but use some crystal light packages to mix it up.

That's good. I'm already done with Soda. Haven't drank it in three months. I've always been on and off again on it. Sometimes I would go a year without drinking it, then drink it a few months then go off it again.

I'm hoping to lose about 140 lbs with the surgery. Right now I'm already doing the essentially protein only deal that the sleeve requires.

Kumquat

I started the Optifast diet this morning... This is gonna be a loooooong month lol

Any of you guys have suggestions as far as the vegetables "meals" go during that diet?

I have a list of which vegies I can eat (mostly the green stuff basically) but without the extra stuff I would normally put in a salad if gets a bit boring...

I really wasn't on that strict of a diet and mine was for 2 weeks before surgery. It was a shake for breakfast, one for lunch, and a decent dinner. Kinda slim fast like. Make use of spices. They can pep up food without adding calories.

Megasoum

Banned
So I decided to track my weight loss progression over the next few months and share it with my family and friends.

Right now I created a super simple google docs sheet with the weight for each days I weigh myself but it's butt ugly and I suck at Excel so I can't do formula to automatically calculate the deltas and stuff.

Anybody know an easy solution I could use for that? I'm thinking about daily check-ins with deltas versus the previous check-in and versus the starting weight. Simple graphs to show progression and other cool stuff like that.

I feel like an actual website might be the best solution for something like that but I have even less knowledge about modern website building than I have about Excel lol.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Can you share the weight report publicly with other people?

Yes, you can set it to private, friends only and public.

EDIT: I guess I'm wrong, those setting are for your daily food diary. For your weight others will see how much you've lost, but can't see your current weight or charts.

Kumquat

I'm going to make a new thread for it but that mass they found on my kidney during the diverticulitis scan turned out to be cancerous. Life is weird as hell.

mkenyon

Banned
Well...

Day 5 of the month long diet and I had a relapse last night. Sigh this suck
Diet is not about sticking to it religiously. It's about creating a norm that you stick to most of the time. Overeating can (and still) happens, I mean, you should see some of the meals people in FitGAF eat.

But really, it's about a life style change that is the rule, rather than an exception.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm going to make a new thread for it but that mass they found on my kidney during the diverticulitis scan turned out to be cancerous. Life is weird as hell.

Shit man... Sorry to hear that

Diet is not about sticking to it religiously. It's about creating a norm that you stick to most of the time. Overeating can (and still) happens, I mean, you should see some of the meals people in FitGAF eat.

But really, it's about a life style change that is the rule, rather than an exception.

Yeah... The first two weeks were rough... Cheated 2-3 times maybe... I've been 100% good for the last week and a half (and planning on continuing that path for the last week) so I should be good. Surgery is next wednesday. Got the call yesterday to confirm the time I need to come in on that day (7am)... This whole thing is starting to feel like a real thing!

Just passed day one of the diet. Wow that was fucking rough. I fell asleep from not having food in me. Just plop. It's a lot harder to stay awake when you got no food in your belly.

Megasoum

Banned
Just passed day one of the diet. Wow that was fucking rough. I fell asleep from not having food in me. Just plop. It's a lot harder to stay awake when you got no food in your belly.

Yeah hang in there, the first 4-5 days are the thoughests.... I had headaches, cold sweats, hands shaking, etc. Also really though mentally... Turns out it's really weird to not eat lol.

I had a full month to do and my surgery is on Wednesday so I'm almost done. The last 2-3 weeks have been much easier. Once you get used to it it's not too bad.

(says the dude drinking his chocolate shake in front of his pc lol)

Yeah hang in there, the first 4-5 days are the thoughests.... I had headaches, cold sweats, hands shaking, etc. Also really though mentally... Turns out it's really weird to not eat lol.

I had a full month to do and my surgery is on Wednesday so I'm almost done. The last 2-3 weeks have been much easier. Once you get used to it it's not too bad.

(says the dude drinking his chocolate shake in front of his pc lol)

Day three. Feel really bad. I lost to a friend at a fighting game that normally has no chance of ever beating me. My reactions felt so slow. Like everything was slight hand shaking, not accurate and other stuff. I have like slight disorientation and I'm still walking around a good amount to go with it.

Megasoum

Banned
Day three. Feel really bad. I lost to a friend at a fighting game that normally has no chance of ever beating me. My reactions felt so slow. Like everything was slight hand shaking, not accurate and other stuff. I have like slight disorientation and I'm still walking around a good amount to go with it.

Yup, that's par for the course.

It will get better in a day or two, trust me.

I have three days left and it's starting to get tough again... But, once again, week-ends are always thougher for me. I cheated a bit last night (ceasar salad with chicken and a bit of candy for dessert) so I went up in weight a bit for the first time in over 3 weeks. Not a big deal at the end of the day but still annoying.

Also, I learned on Thursday that even tho I was approved for financing, for some reason, the clinic never got the check. Called the financing company and they said "The check is in the mail"... So now, last I heard, the finance guy at the clinic is looking for the check... This needs to be figured out before wednesday because without the check there is no surgery, even if I'm officialy approved already.

Let's just say that I didn't need that extra layer of stress right now.

Megasoum

Banned
Welp... Tomorrow is the big day!

I moved to my parent's place for the recovery (until christmas). I brought my PC and PS4 lol.

I have to get up at 4am tomorrow to get to the clinic by 7am lol... I bet I won't sleep much tonight!

I moved to my parent's place for the recovery (until christmas). I brought my PC and PS4 lol.

I have to get up at 4am tomorrow to get to the clinic by 7am lol... I bet I won't sleep much tonight!

They found the check then?

StudioTan

Good luck!

Got a bit of discouragement. A doctor told me that I'm too healthy to get the bariatric surgery. He said I'm not anywhere near diabetic, my cholestorol is normal and that my blood pressure is for all intents and purposes is normal. Don't know if this should rattle me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom