• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Investor Meeting 04/24/2013 LIVE

今年のE3では、当社は新ハードの発表を予定しておりませんし、ソフトを発表し、体験をいただくことがE3の主な活動になります。当社が発表するWii Uゲームについてもっと良く知りたいと多くの方々が大いなる興味をお持ちですし、当社はE3のタイミングを利用して、今年発売するWii Uゲームを中心にその詳細をお伝えし、かつ、来場者にすぐに体験いただけるようにするつもりです。そこで、今年はこれまでにない取り組みとして、E3での新たな発表形式を確立することにチャレンジします。

At this years E3 we will not be announcing a new hardware system, so E3's primary mission will be to have [press, analysts] experience our software. Many people would like to know more about the titles for Wii U that will be announced. We will use the timing of E3 to focus on providing details about our Wii U titles for release this year, and intend to create opportunities for guests to the conference to experience them immediately. We will attempt to use this year's E3 to make announcements in a new way that we have not tried before.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Seems like they plan to hold info directs around the E3 period. The next section confuses me it seems to suggest they may not have an E3 conference at all

Oh wow I really hope not... that would be weird to receive E3 announcements through a Nintendo Direct without a crowd.

I was personally hoping they were referring to offering E3 demos through their eShop. Wishful thinking I know.

Darryl

Banned
E3 to focus on Wii U titles coming this year and playable versions of said titles. Nintendo also plans on "challenging" a new method for announcements at E3, in a way not seen before.

maybe they'll treat it like an entertainment show and have no one on stage doing gameplay. show a pikmin animation short, "come check out pikmin after the show". show a short mario trailer,"come see the titles in action afterwards", etc. that way the press gets their exclusives rather than nintendo taking it all for themselves.

Seems like they plan to hold info directs around the E3 period. The next section confuses me it seems to suggest they may not have an E3 conference at all

I think replacing the usual conference with a Nintendo Direct would be a great idea, honestly. Audience reactions have mostly sucked lately anyway from all conferences with everybody being jaded and quiet, while the hosts awkwardly wait for applause.

At this years E3 we will not be announcing a new hardware system, so E3's primary mission will be to have [press, analysts] experience our software. Many people would like to know more about the titles for Wii U that will be announced. We will use the timing of E3 to focus on providing details about our Wii U titles for release this year, and intend to create opportunities for guests to the conference to experience them immediately. We will attempt to use this year's E3 to make announcements in a new way that we have not tried before.
Even in english...I dont understand

If true, it would be yet another instance of Nintendo refusing to compete when the going gets tough. They let MS/Sony bully them out of both the high end and casual markets, which led to the middle of the road Wii U. Guys need to grow some balls.

Thoraxes

Nintendo also put this up for the briefing: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/130425.pdf

Cheese translated this small tidbit.

DBfQBcB.png

My body feels so good right now.

Roo

Interesting.
Just don't focus too much on Wii U____ games, Nintendo.

Edit:
At this years E3 we will not be announcing a new hardware system

WTF? seriously? someone asked for a possible new hardware reveal? lol ok.

FOR SOME REASON, THIS IS EXCITING TO ME.

DaBoss

Can you translate this portion:
まず、例年のような世界中の皆様に向けた全方位向けの、新しいニュースを発信するような大規模プレゼンテーションを行わないことにいたしました。

Engrish translation gives me this:
First, we have decided not to perform a large-scale presentation, such as the transmission of all orientation towards towards everyone around the world, such as in previous years, the new news.

Meelow

Banned

Worried, but also interested on what they mean.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I'd say yes, yes, yes, and I don't know what else the last could be?
This must be EU breakdown by country:
kGo2p1A.jpg

UK, France, Germany, don't know the rest. Germany seems to be best performing region in terms of marketshare for WiiU.
United Kingdom
France
Germany
Spain
Italy
Netherlands
Belgium

Still working on the last ones.

Hobby

Nintendo has several smaller scale events planned with the focus on titles for the NA market this E3. That is, instead of their one, large presentation they typically hold. Iwata will not appear at any of these events. Besides that, they're investigating a new means of transmitting this information directly to fans that can't attend the event.

royalan

maybe they'll treat it like an entertainment show and have no one on stage doing gameplay. show a pikmin animation short, "come check out pikmin after the show". show a short mario trailer,"come see the titles in action afterwards", etc. that way the press gets their exclusives rather than nintendo taking it all for themselves.

So, basically it will be like all of their best E3s...only WITHOUT Reggie's slow-motion rambling and chart fapping. Nothing but games?

Don't tease me, Nintendo.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Last year was proof that for normal non console announcement years that Nintendo Direct is a much better avenue for spreading your message.

Nairume

Banned
Even in english...I dont understand
They don't have to worry about hyping new consoles like they have for the past several E3s, so they can spend this one entirely on hyping software.

It also looks like they are going to focus this one more on the WiiU than 3DS, which could explain the last few Nintendo Directs being more 3DS focused.

Sounds good to me. Their last two press conferences have been terrible, so change is good.

以前は、この決算説明会の場で、製品に関する新情報などもお伝えして、それをインターネットで動画配信することも行ってきましたが、Nintendo Directのような新たな手法が確立した今、それぞれの異なる立場の皆様に、個別に情報発信を行うことにより、より的確で効果的な情報発信ができるのではないかと考えています。

In the past, we have announced new titles at Investor's Meetings and then uploaded videos onto the internet, but with new methods like Nintendo Direct, that we have now, we believe that we are able to provide more appropriate and effective information separately to people from different standpoints and interests [gamer, investor, etc].

まず、例年のような世界中の皆様に向けた全方位向けの、新しいニュースを発信するような大規模プレゼンテーションを行わないことにいたしました。それに替わり、より小規模な米国向けソフトに焦点を当てた複数のイベントを計画しております。そのうちのひとつは米国流通関係者の皆様向けのクローズドなイベントで、もうひとつは、主に西洋のゲームメディアの皆様を対象としたクローズドな体験型のイベントです。また、私は昨年の「プレゼンテーション」に登壇しませんでしたが、今年もこれらのイベントに登壇する予定はしておりません。これらクローズドな来場者向けイベント以外に、E3の時期に当社からゲーム情報をご家庭におられるプレイヤーの皆様に直接お届けする新しい方法を継続して検討中ですので、決定次第、改めてお知らせしてまいります。

First, we have decided not to hold a large-scale presentation where new news is presented to a general audience from all over the world as in previous years. Instead, we are planning several smaller events for software targeted at the American market. One of these will be a closed event for distributors, and another will be a closed event for the Western press. I did not appear in last years presentation, and I do not intend to appear in these events either. Apart from these closed events, during E3, we are deliberating how to deliver game information to those at home using new methods, so we will announce further plans later.

In clear words:

No E3 conference.

SmokeMaxX

Nintendo has several smaller scale events planned with the focus on titles for the NA market this E3. That is, instead of their one, large presentation they typically hold. Iwata will not appear at any of these events. Besides that, they're investigating a means of transmitting this information directly to fans that can't attend the event.

It'd be interesting if the had demos available during E3 so that people at home could try games out as the attendees do.

Nintendo not doing E3 conference would be end of an era. I really hope they do a conference and big bomb announcements there and not in Directs. This years E3 would be perfect with all 3 going all out in conferences.

Anth0ny

live nintendo direct

no reggie

only iwata

Beats

What if they made the same playable demos that the press get to play at E3 downloadable on the eshop as soon as they're announced?

jvm

Gamasutra.
So should we start thinking no price drop for Wii U? The focus on software, software, software sounds like "we're not dropping price, we're going to justify the current price".

Or am I getting the wrong impression?

BD1

Banned
Maybe they will schedule multiple, live Nintendo Directs throughout the week. Complete with announcements, on-stage demos, trailers, etc.

donny2112

First, we have decided not to hold a large-scale presentation where new news is presented to a general audience from all over the world as in previous years. Instead, we are planning several smaller events for software targeted at the American market.

In clear words:

No E3 conference.

Couldn't that mean that the E3 conference will just be about games and not new news? Can't imagine Nintendo not doing an E3 conference.

Instro

Hm wording is a bit weird but I hope that doesn't mean that all they are showing is stuff coming this year.

For what it's worth, this is what I got for EU marketshare.
Code:
	Marketshare %
3DS	17.5
NDS	1.5
WII	8.5
WIU	4.5
PSP	10.5
PSV	5.5
PS3	30.5
360	21.5
Unfortunately, it won't provide any unit information.

So should we start thinking no price drop for Wii U? The focus on software, software, software sounds like "we're not dropping price, we're going to justify the current price".

Or am I getting the wrong impression?
Sure does sound like it, and frankly, I think it's a mistake. At least, not a significant price drop.

Top Bottom