• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what happened to anime?

im goin through crunchyroll rn and this is just not catching me anymore. i tried to watch some of this shit but either its some school drama melodramtic type bullshit or its over the top to the point the shit is not even enjoyable.

what happened to that weird action type anime from the 90s man real shit

also why is shonen still a thing :S

EDIT: same goes for manga as well cant catch anything that really sparked me the way it did in the past

LotusHD

Banned
What if it's you and not manga... or why not find older stuff you missed and get into that?

Basically what I do. The new releases, there'll maybe be like one or two decent-to-good shows. (And even then, I notice for me they tend to be sequels to stuff I already liked) But there's still a bunch of widely-regarded shows/manga I have yet to check out.

There's Berserk anime airing right now, should be right up your alley.

Lmao

5fb.jpg

jrcbandit

In before anime was a mistake gifs. It's a combination of digital age/costs and fanservice tropes infecting every anime.

Silvawuff

I think there's some modicum of truth in what OP is saying, and it's probably a mix between changing production values and, well, us.

It feels really good to get into a new series that is just fantastic, but I do feel like there's more chaff to sift through to find it nowadays.

We have this thread like every other week lawl. Anime has always been shit, even in the 90s, you are just now getting exposed to it ala the Internet.

nothing happened, we just get almost all anime subbed now, instead of only anime western companies decide to butcher for western release

theWB27

Basically what I do. The new releases, there'll maybe be like one or two decent-to-good shows. (And even then, I notice for me they tend to be sequels to stuff I already liked) But there's still a bunch of widely-regarded shows/manga I have yet to check out.

Lmao

See op... problem solved. Find older stuff

im goin through crunchyroll rn and this is just not catching me anymore. i tried to watch some of this shit but either its some school drama melodramtic type bullshit or its over the top to the point the shit is not even enjoyable.

EDIT: same goes for manga as well cant catch anything that really sparked me the way it did in the past

I'm with you OP but it might just be that this other shit flew under our radar.

Those anime pillows like wtf haha though.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
This is like complaining that modern music is worse than the 70s because the 70s had Led Zeppelin and the Stones and shit. No doubt if you're comparing the complete output of today with the hits of yesteryear than today's going to come up short.

Also: the stuff that comes out nowadays is the stuff that sells, and sells to Japanese audiences at that.

BasilZero

Boruto, One Piece and DB Super is awesome yo ;(

I still watch old anime like for an example Gundam ZZ....its...bad prefer Gundam Zeta or the original mobile suit gundam.

Anyways, ya a lot of the stuff nowadays arent the same as they were in the 1990s but...oh well.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
What's with GAF's recent tirade against anime? This is like the 3rd "Aniime today sucks" thread this week.

EDIT: Also OP, you should try watching Psycho-Pass. It's some good shit I tell ya.

mephixto

Banned

We are in the same boat, I dive into the dumpster from time to time but there is barely anything worth watching. I guess the lolis, harem, etc are what is making money right now.

This season at least have Attack on Titan S2, Hero Acedemia and Berserk(lol).

LotusHD

Banned
It feels really good to get into a new series that is just fantastic, but I do feel like there's more chaff to sift through to find it nowadays.

There definitely is, but for me anyways, I realize now aware of websites that lay out all the new and upcoming releases for me, so it makes it abundantly clear how much new anime gets released that I have absolutely no interest in.

When I was younger, I'd just google "Top anime of current year" or something like that, and then take it from there lol, so it was much more narrower.

Shonen is far from being the industry's biggest problem (and I say this as someone who generally doesn't enjoy shonen). Light novel adaptations are what's killing anime.

Raxus

Considering a lot of '90's man' drew from shonen manga I find this complaint kind of funny.

There is tons of great stuff out there if you look that is one of the best things about manga and anime. Tons of variety.

Top Bottom