• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With state budget in crisis, many Oklahoma schools hold classes four days a week

On the other hand, a common strategy of having education funding come from lottery ticket sales is literally banking on people being stupid.
We have that in Oklahoma, too, with an intended protection that lottery funds only enhance education funding instead of replacing. It's against the law to consider the lottery funds as part of the budget, basically.

Guess what law we broke.

Protein

Banned
We just gotta wait more. Those billionaires and millionaire will give back to the school district eventually. The Handjob of the Freemarket will correct this somehow.

Vyer

I see a lot of the conservatives in social media when commenting on this story using the 'it's because of the energy sector not taxes' line too. Maybe someone smarter than me on state budgets can explain how valid that is or not, I'm curious

Codeblue

I wonder if teachers in these red states also lean hard R.

Speaking anecdotally, I have a few patients and friends that are teachers in the town I work in, and a lot of children that are in districts Tha get cut to four days a week.

I find that teachers are often Democrats, but by no means the majority. A lot of them fail to see the connection between trash Republican policies and their current situation.

This last election, we voted for Trump and against a small tax that would help fund education, two choices that would plainly further degrade our schools. I know multiple teachers and either moved to a different state, or retired as a result. Others that work in bigger districts that are unaffected bury their heads in the sand and pretend it's all good.

I asked an elementary school science teacher about how she felt, and she said that she's optimistic and that things can't​ get worse than the Obama years. I'll see her again in a couple of months and I hope that, as she's someone responsible for the critical thinking of children, that she can admit that both those votes were a disaster.

Children attending four days a week are so clearly at a disadvantage, that even they notice. It's so clear that several parents are physically moving or opting to home school.

There was a sign on a main street by my house that said "Republicans ruined our schools, now let Democrats fix it". Someone removed it pretty shortly after it went up. The culture if ignorance is why I'm leaving this state in the next year. If they want to self destruct they can do it without me.

I see a lot of the conservatives in social media when commenting on this story using the 'it's because of the energy sector not taxes' line too. Maybe someone smarter than me on state budgets can explain how valid that is or not, I'm curious

Dropping gas prices have been hurting Oklahoma for a while, true. You would think that we would find some way to compensate for that in the last several years, but we don't. We sit there and cry about energy and our schools, but we won't approve a small tax increase to educate our kids. You can blame energy for the first year or two, but Republican leadership solution is to do absolutely nothing. Anyone who uses that line is putting party over their own children and it's repulsive.

We have that in Oklahoma, too, with an intended protection that lottery funds only enhance education funding instead of replacing. It's against the law to consider the lottery funds as part of the budget, basically.

Guess what law we broke.

Yeah, no surprise there.

Ah well, soon more people will be unintelligent and in poverty, which raises lottery ticket sales.
So, hey, there's that.

Oklahoma economy is dominated by energy, so yes the massive downturn was always going to cause budget issues. However, this was an issue even when the energy sector was doing better, and there are other areas where Oklahoma has failed that also had huge effects on the budget, and in some cases flat out refusing federal money.

So yes, it's part of it, but there's so much more.

Oklahoma’s education spending has decreased 14 percent per child since 2008, according to the left-leaning Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, and the state in 2014 spent just $8,000 per student, according to federal data. Only Arizona, Idaho and Utah spent less.

IIRC- 2008 was the year that the house repubs in OK rammed through sweeping tax cuts for new drilling operations for oil companies. This was during the fracking boom. Typical right-wing voodoo economics: "Let's institute sweeping tax cuts for oil companies during the biggest boom in 20 years, and the boom will become a 'mega-boom' and everyone will be RICH!!!"

The reality: when that boom goes bust, it's almost impossible to raise taxes back up to their previous levels, and not only will you never get that missed revenue back, you'll be staring at massive shortfalls going forward.

But Gov. Mary Fallin (R) said a downturn in the energy sector and a decreasing sales tax revenue have led to several “very difficult budget years.”

Short version: Governess Fallin and state Republicans decided that oil companies are more important than education.

Now they're blaming the oil bust instead of their own stupid policies. They could have used revenue from the fracking boom to fund education and infrastructure for 15-20 years. Instead, they pissed it away on yet another failed trickle-down experiment. Keep winning, Oklahoma. Keep winning.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
It is sad that kids are getting the short end of the stick because of their ignorant ass parents voting these assholes in.

Shoeless

It is sad that kids are getting the short end of the stick because of their ignorant ass parents voting these assholes in.

I guess the only "bright" spot in all this is if the education continues to go down the toilet, and the next generation is reared to regard anything but alt-right media as fake news, they'll never actually know how bad they've got it. Ignorance is bliss and all that.

I guess the only "bright" spot in all this is if the education continues to go down the toilet, and the next generation is reared to regard anything but alt-right media as fake news, they'll never actually know how bad they've got it. Ignorance is bliss and all that.
This is actually super gross. I'm not sure if you meant it that way.

how many states are going to go this way until people realize trickle down isn't a thing?

seems like madness to an outside observer like me. kind of cultish behavior tbh..

TyrantII

Wealthiest nation in the world, in the history of the world. Sorry, we're broke go grovel in a gutter!

Can't educate their kids.

This is going to backfire, biggly.

Wilsongt

And none of the legislatures who vote for these cuts, or admin people, feel the effects of them because they live in places or have the money to send their children to decent schools.

zashga

Wow, I had no idea things were quite this bad. I haven't lived there in over a decade (for reasons that are easy to guess), but things were relatively normal last time I checked. A four-day school week for poor districts is an incredibly bad idea; I can't believe we've reached this point. And we're apparently still accelerating towards the cliff because obviously you just don't vote democrat.

totowhoa

Banned
As somebody who knows many teachers here in OK, things really are incredibly awful right now :/ They don't have enough teachers, they'll hire anybody with a college degree to teach, classrooms are stuffed, art programs vanishing. It's super bad :/

quickwhips

Part of the problem with state government is that it's always on state employees to bear deficits and take pay cuts when they never really see pay raises.

And none of the legislatures who vote for these cuts, or admin people, feel the effects of them because they live in places or have the money to send their children to decent schools.

Let me make a slight correction, they dont feel the effects because their voters dont hold them responsible for any of this.

All according to plan. Cut education, result in a generation with subpar knowledge base and behind intellectually, groom them with fear and "it's not their fault".

Textbook. Evil.

They should be ashamed to gut education.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
The more I see stuff like this the more I realize that Republicans don't want an organized society. They say no to taxes, but what they really mean is no to schools, no to social safety nets, no to social programs, no to services, and no to sciences.

I think what they want isn't just to pay less taxes but to return to a time with fewer rules, and fewer expectations. Unfortunately this means the suffering of millions of people but who can be concerned with that when the liberals and gays are asking you to remember their pronouns? (...that's sarcasm btw)

Shoeless

This is actually super gross. I'm not sure if you meant it that way.

It is super gross, and I find it terrifying that a segment of the American demographic embraces this kind of thinking and lifestyle. This was a country I grew up admiring as a Canadian kid for being a beacon of justice and technological advancement. Now, as an adult, I find it tragic and frightening that a part--and not a small one--of America is actively against what the country once stood for not just to itself, but to the world.

FStubbs

This is the voting age generation failing and crippling the younger generation. This is an absolute failure of government and a violation of every child's right to an education.

Republicans don't believe in a right to an education.

Wonder what the first state to give up funding education altogether will be. Who needs public education, right? Republicans should tell the ignorant electorate to go fuck themselves. They'll just keep getting voted in anyhow.

Some already are. And are voted in any how.

Shoeless

The more I see stuff like this the more I realize that Republicans don't want an organized society. They say no to taxes, but what they really mean is no to schools, no to social safety nets, no to social programs, no to services, and no to sciences.

I think what they want isn't just to pay less taxes but to return to a time with fewer rules, and fewer expectations. Unfortunately this means the suffering of millions of people but who can be concerned with that when the liberals and gays are asking you to remember their pronouns? (...that's sarcasm btw)

They want to return to a feudal system with lords and serfs. Things were simpler back then.

Izayoi

Banned
Small government at its best! The Republican American dream writ large.

At this point, I think it's best we just let the South collapse upon itself and devolve into a lawless wasteland as an example of what happens when the government is completely out of the picture. This shit is out of control.

Kard8p3

My HS had us go 4 days a week, it wasn't actually too bad. We'd stay an extra 45 minutes or so every day we did go.

I think with the current state of education however, this will be vastly different..

It is super gross, and I find it terrifying that a segment of the American demographic embraces this kind of thinking and lifestyle. This was a country I grew up admiring as a Canadian kid for being a beacon of justice and technological advancement. Now, as an adult, I find it tragic and frightening that a part--and not a small one--of America is actively against what the country once stood for not just to itself, but to the world.

What's gross was you describing that level of ignorance as a bright spot, even in quotes. That was gross. It wasn't clever or humorous. It wasn't insightful. It was hoping that maybe these people will just be dumb enough and unfortunate enough that they won't even notice. Real cool.

People expressed similar sentiments without coming across like an ass.

You can pivot if you want. That was still gross.

I understand the frustration of working for 20 years and only making 40-48K a year, but even if this outside Oklahoma City proper, I can't imagine their cost of living is anything like that of a teacher in NJ/NY or Philly or DC.

Izayoi

Banned
Those teacher salaries are insanely depressing. If I was 20 years tenured at my current position I'd be making close to a quarter million a year.

How do we fix this, as a society?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This is tragic and surreal to see. Is there a chance of this spreading to even more states? The sad thing is that with Trump's cuts this is probably just the beginning.

ianpm31

Small government at its best! The Republican American dream writ large.

At this point, I think it's best we just let the South collapse upon itself and devolve into a lawless wasteland as an example of what happens when the government is completely out of the picture. This shit is out of control.

Funny that republicans always want "big government" to stay out of their business until a crisis occurs

Future

Damn those school-age voters, always voting against their own interest! I bet most of them didn't even turn out to vote.

More about the parents of said kids that chose to doom their kids futures. I know one of these people. Just had kids. Voted third party because of some holier than thou nonsense. They deserve to see the impact of their decision

TyrantII

Nah, they just want more money. They'll be screaming and blaming others when it backfires and they're​ put in the guillotines along with countless innocent others.

It's greed over patriotism and societal advancement. History repeating itself, nations in decline because their leaders put petty individual projects against what's best for the future.

What's gross was you describing that level of ignorance as a bright spot, even in quotes. That was gross. It wasn't clever or humorous. It wasn't insightful. It was hoping that maybe these people will just be dumb enough and unfortunate enough that they won't even notice. Real cool.

People expressed similar sentiments without coming across like an ass.

You can pivot if you want. That was still gross.

Sounded like gallows humour to me.
He wasn't hoping for that, he was faking optimism like this terrible thing could be good, because hey, it will make this other terrible thing less painful.

So yeah, gross, but I don't think he was being an ass. Just bitter humour of the darkest variety.

Edit: For everyone unfamiliar with the term, to see why it fits perfectly.
3U85iAG.png

mike6467

Sounded like gallows humor to me.
He wasn't hoping for that, he was faking optimism like this terrible thing could be good, because hey, it will make this other terrible thing less painful.

So yeah, gross, but I don't think he was being an ass. Just bitter humor of the darkest variety.

Yeah, I chuckled, found it funny in a "dark future" kind of way.

Sounded like gallows humour to me.

So yeah, gross, but I don't think he was being an ass. Just bitter humour of the darkest variety.

I get and like dark humor. I don't think it was humorous. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but if you make a dark joke and it doesn't land, you're just left with the darkness.

Like hey, maybe it would be funny if things got so bad that my nephew and any future children I have grow up to have a sub-human level of intelligence because the cycle of adults failing future generations is a tale as old as time. But at least they've devolved to a point that they don't realize they could live like we live. Yeah. Maybe that's funny. Then actually make it funny.

Top Bottom