• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS NOW. Rentals from US$2.99 to US$19.99.

Yep, if the service is popular and pretty profitable, with the right business deals in place, they could expand the service to all kinds of devices in the future. Other Tv manufacturers, Tablets etc......

Exactly, everyone is thinking small picture, I was thinking mid picture, but long term picture, I'm positive Sony will market this to 3rd parties. After all, the console game is low entry hardware to get the big money on games. This is a chance to do the same on devices that could never play the games, and are in everyone's home, regardless of being gamers or not. This is the conversion!

$3 a day is a good business move. Takes a lot of the wind out of Redbox if you can rent the newest titles. That's much better for them than an all you can eat Netflix style membership.

Paertan

20$ monthly fee for all games in the Playstation Now library? Only thing I can think of that would be worth that amount of money.

fedexpeon

Banned
True, but Sony is in this for the long run. They didn't spend x million on Gaikai for nothing. They are planning on streaming these games to every device they create. Devices without disc drives, or USB slots, or cartridge insertion. They want everything they create to be able to use this service. Stop thinking of it as a console only service. Think big picture. Casual with a Bravia may be tempted in for a classic game(PS1,PS2,PS3,PSP?) Vita TV is coming, and for 99$ I can stream a thousand games on demand for chump change, yes please. I can't rent discs for my Bravia, or my Vita, or my Vita TV( I don't own a vita or vita tv just hypothetical.)

This.
People need to stop saying Gamefly.
Gamefly is only useful if you want to play PS3-4 games, and if you have those consoles.
PS Now offering is different, and is mainly targeting at other groups without a console.
The PS3-4 owners are probably the minority focus group.

Sony is trying to do a set top box with Vita TV, addon for their TV lines, and into mobile devices: phone, Vita, tablet.

If parents can sub for their kids at $20/m to avoid buying console/game each year, they will probably do it.
Heck, probably MS fans will sub into it to try PS games they've never tried.

Guerrilla

sooo, haven't been following ps now that closely, and couldn't watch the sony conference yet due to work but for 20$ will it at least have brand new games? I previously understood it like it'll only have ps1,2,3 games?

BigDug13

This.
Gamefly is only useful if you want to play PS3-4 games, and if you have those consoles.
PS Now offering is different, and is mainly targeting at other groups without a console.

Sony is trying to do a set top box with Vita TV, addon for their TV lines, and into mobile devices: phone, Vita, tablet.

If parents can sub for their kids at $20/m to avoid buying console/game each year, they will probably do it.

A sub at $20 a month wouldn't be an issue. But we are talking about $20 per month PER GAME.

A sub at $20 a month wouldn't be an issue. But we are talking about $20 per month PER GAME.

$20 to rent a game for a month is fair. You would most likely have gotten all use out of the game within that month and beat it. You would have saved $40 vs buying it new. If you went to trade in that game after a month GameStop would definitely not give you $40.

Grimløck;115660265 said:
what're you talking about?

People said the beta had time slots, so I thought it cost money.

all games currently available in the beta are free, regardless of the time slot rented. There are time slots(1 day 2.99?, 7 days 5.99?, 30 days 19.99?) and that is what people here are concerned about.

Thanks, this clarified it. What is the point of time slots in the beta? Only thing I can think of is to test the rental system. The open beta will still be free, right?

see5harp

This.

I own all of the consoles and happily pay $24 for gamefly. I am saying Sony is idiotic if they think I will pay $20 for a single game. Hell, $20 a month even for unlimited gaming for the "full library" of supported games is pushing it for me.

EDIT: ya'll are acting like I didn't get Infamous Second Son and Watch Dogs for PS4, and Wolfenstein for XBOX One on Wednesday of release week from Gamefly. I suppose I understand that they are going after a wider audience, but then why have they spent time in multiple E3's to hype this service?

And it's entirely reliant on your connection/their servers too. A bit much for one game. Hopefully they iron this out and find a consumer friendly way to do this because this is one of the ways the future of gaming can go.

Yep, if the service is popular and pretty profitable, with the right business deals in place, they could expand the service to all kinds of devices in the future. Other Tv manufacturers, Tablets etc......
exactly
People said the beta had time slots, so I thought it cost money.

Thanks, this clarified it. What is the point of time slots in the beta? Only thing I can think of is to test the rental system. The open beta will still be free, right?

That'd be my guess, to make sure every click works.

$20.

$20. In this day and age I can't fathom what a $20 rental could entail. I'm trying to fathom it for sure, but for me anyway it seems infathomable.

Obviously, they have no idea what pricing is going to shake out to work for consumers. Thus the beta. You can only do so many surveys and focus groups for pricing an online service. In the end, you have to push it out there to see what people will actually pay. Netflix and Hulu are still tweaking and trying different things and running promotions. The WWE Network is a more recent example.

WTF no.

BC should have been an outta the box feature. Considering how they dropped the ball, PSNow should just have a one-time fee that unocks the feature on your console for good. Any other model with timed availability feels like a cop-out, kinda of a "fuck you" to longtime fans, and a rip-off.

Hmmm, where did this $20 a month come from? Maybe I missed it but that's all speculation right?

And just thinking out loud here but what if you can keep the game for as long as you want, but you need to return it in order to rent the next game.... kinda like how Amazon Prime rents out books. I'd be very willing to pay 20 bucks for say... assassins creed, wrap up the SP campaign, dabble in the MP for a bit and then return it. This is the same as buying the game for $60 and then selling/trading it in for $40. Of course the draw back is one game at a time might not be sufficient for some, but that's exactly what the "competition" Gamefly is offering atm.

And hey, if that's not it, maybe PS+ subscribers can get one free game rental a month or something. Wouldn't that be nice? =p

fedexpeon

Banned
EDIT:
I suppose I understand that they are going after a wider audience, but then why have they spent time in multiple E3's to hype this service?

E3 is the biggest gaming show.
The mainstream media will talk about it, and later interview MS/Sony afterward about their E3 show, and their future plans.
Heck, Fox was literally hyping up the PS4 last year...A fricken conservative station.
Technology news site will have to talk about PS Now because it was part of Sony E3 show.
Financial news will ask about the current situation with sales, and why they offering new service like PS Now.

E3 isn't just for gamers.
It is all about media coverage tbh. Fans just help spread the hype faster.

Vinci

Danish
What "rental" period could possibly be worth 20 bucks?

People appear to frequently buy a new game, play it for less than a week, and then trade it back in for credit. These rentals may be targeted for these types of people and the $20 may approximate the loss of value between the purchase price and the trade-in price at Gamestop or some other game retailer.

Or perhaps they're targeting the people on the fence who might not be willing to buy a game at full price because they're not sure about it. These people might otherwise purchase a used copy, which earns the publishers nothing.

Or maybe it's both.

I don't know. It depends purely on who they're targeting with this, but the price point can easily change over time to find something that works better if $20 is too high.

i was expecting this to be like 20 dollars a month for unlimited access to the ps now library, ill pass...this definitely isnt for me

hamchan

Good lord, other entertainment services don't even charge $20 a month for access to their entire libraries.

$20 a month for one game would be ludicrous.

God Damn, it really feels like some of you are being purposefully obtuse. Stop being so thick! This is a long term deal, sorry your team didn't think of it.

God Damn, it really feels like some of you are being purposefully obtuse. Stop being so thick! This is a long term deal, sorry your team didn't think of it.

People are aware that this is a long term play for Sony. But that doesn't make the short term realities of this any more appealing. It's going to be some years before this service is more than a niche product.

sun-drop

i think a subscription model would suit us ... PS+ members etc ...

the per day charges ... has to be aimed at those people using psnow via sony tv's and laptops etc ... those people are essentially renting a virtual ps3

$20 ...
mHM3DMk.gif

UberTag

Give us a Netflix-like subscription model for PS3 and back catalog.
Dick around with as many rental methods as you like for PS4 stuff.

That's my perspective at least. I can actually see $20 working for a lengthy rental of a PS4 game, for instance.

$20 rentals? Yeah, they have no idea what to price rentals. $2.99 is more reasonable.
Streaming or rental services don't even charge $20 a month, let alone $20 a rental. LOL, that is crazy.

Cartman86

Banned
A complete DRM solution exists on PS. What purpose does crappier quality laggy streaming serve? If I'm going to spend money renting why not let me download it? The bandwith of that video stream must be just as large as a full download. I understand a subscription service.

Cuburt

I wouldn't be surprised if the $20/month price sticks since you can get trophies in the Beta version so I could see people being willing to fork out $20 just to beat a new(ish) game and get all the trophies rather than pay full price (or even a similarly high used price) when the game first comes out.

Just watch.

We need more details, what do Sony think we would pay 20 for?
I think there should be some way for the system to recognise games that you already own, and then allow you to use the through the service for free, or at a reduced rate. This probably couldn't work with boxed games as they can be resold, but should apply to anything bought through ps store.

I feel like PSNow is happening too soon. It only makes sense to me if Sony is going to get out of consumer hardware and push this service to people on any device... which isn't going to be feasible in most of the world for some time. I also don't see a subscription model similar to Netflix working out for Sony or 3rd parties. Why PSNow right now? Really don't get it.

Joei

People are saying 20$ rentals are stupid, but I really think it depends on the length of time you can have the game. What about people who buy new games for 50-60$, beat them, then turn around and sell them to a used record store, or Gamestop, etc? That could potentially be a much better value for them and could be the people being targeted here.

While a Netflix style service would be amazing I can't see it ever happening. I also can't see this current system being to popular either.

I think something in between is needed.

For example a really basic deal for PS+ members to get people to try the service such as one rental every 3 months.

Then tier it after that.
£5 month gets you 2 rentals.
£10 = 5 rentals
£15 = 10
£20 = unlimited.

Gets exponentially better and adaptive for different peoples needs.

Hopefully they test something like that as I see it as a fair balance.

Top Bottom