• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Giant Bomb Quick Look Thread 2

Tucah

you speak so well
I haven't really been paying much attention to NG3 but that quick look definitely made my interest even lower.

obonicus

It's just weird that it's like 'no, don't kill me', and then they give you no choice. Is this like a subversion of the crazy ninja assassin thing?

obonicus

I could see it as the best-selling of the NGs, though.

Edit: I'm not one to suggest Endurance Runs, but this is dumb enough that I think it'd work.

the chris

It's just weird that it's like 'no, don't kill me', and then they give you no choice. Is this like a subversion of the crazy ninja assassin thing?
Yea, that part struck me as kind of weird. Killing the guy outright seems like more of a Kratos thing to do.
i just watched it based on this comment and omg....this sucks...
I was trying to be optimistic about this game, but the Quick Look kind of destroyed what hopes I had for the game.

FALCON SAVE

This game is so fucking dumb.

"These soldiers have been trained well"
"TO DIE"
"The spider tank, too."
"yeah the spider was pretty well trained too"
*WOOSH*

LCfiner

There was a specific moment in the NG3 QL that was telling. Ryan was getting pretty amped up watching the craziness as a half dozen dudes were getting ripped up in a stream of special attacks but Jeff, who was playing, felt nearly the opposite and was disconnected from the moment as his actions weren’t directly related to the stuff on screen. And the regular combat was repetitive and simple.

I think that says a lot about the design goals. make something look cool and badass and over the top. but it has seemingly come at the expense of how the combat feels

And, FWIW, I’m not a guy who loves hard games but I loved the original NG combat and did fairly well in the game since it controlled so well and rewarded patience and timing.

inky

Hey guys, um...did anyone else see the Ninja Gaiden 3 Preview Quick Look that was put up yet?

WTF happened to Ninja Gaiden OMG! It actually feels like what they did to Other M: Just filled it with story nonsense and out of character bullshit.

Since when did Ryu need the OK to kill fucking enemies? Since when did said enemies cower and run from you? Since when did a fucking giant robot scares you so much that you have to go hide in an alley like a scaredy cat, and then don't have the ability to make your way up a fucking building but only so slowly? I'm a fucking ninja, I'm fucking Ryu and I know what to do, I don't need Anya telling me to go here or there.

Shit, I don't want to watch this anymore. This fucking game sucks.

WTF happened to Ninja Gaiden OMG! It actually feels like what they did to Other M: Just filled it with story nonsense and out of character bullshit.

Since when did Ryu need the OK to kill fucking enemies? Since when did said enemies cower and run from you? Since when did a fucking giant robot scares you so much that you have to go hide in an alley and make your way up a fucking building so slowly?

Shit, I don't want to watch this anymore. This fucking game sucks.

Keep watching.

Yeah, I guess dressing like a ninja in the middle of the Rub' al Khali is much dumber :lol

Sweet, now it's Uncharted 3

just a few seconds more

inky

Fucking stealth section, fucking girl having an orgasm over QTE's, fucking Ayane swooping in as a stupid tornado: "hey, here take this sword" swoops out. *woosh*
Fucking "stealth" section!

Fuck this. I hate this game.

"YOU CAN'T SAY THAT."

stealth best ql of 2012

Yeah, thank God for Jeff. "Used my ninja senses to detect this door".

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Fucking stealth section, fucking girl having an orgasm over QTE's, fucking Ayane swooping in as a stupid tornado: "hey, here take this sword" swoops out. *woosh*
Fucking "stealth" section!

Fuck this. I hate this game.
Why in the world would a ninja use stealth? Shit is boring.

inky

Why in the world would a ninja use stealth? Shit is boring.

Did you watch the video at least? I'm not complaining about a ninja having to use stealth, I'm complaining about what passes for a stealth section in this game.

Plus NG's definition of a ninja has never been a stealthy assassin. Have you even played the other games?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Did you watch the video at least? I'm not complaining about a ninja having to use stealth, I'm complaining about what passes for a stealth section in this game.

Plus NG's definition of a ninja has never been a stealthy assassin. Have you even played the other games?
Watched the video? I played it last year. I was saying some of the same things that people here are but back then no one believed me. I just think the whole thing is hilarious at this point.

Dany

Banned
The game looks great, Jeff wasn;t giving it a good 'demo' but whatever. I am more interested in this game than I was before, even though the quick look could turn a lot of people off.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The game looks great, Jeff wasn;t giving it a good 'demo' but whatever. I am more interested in this game than I was before, even though the quick look could turn a lot of people off.
The problem is that it's a Ninja Gaiden game for people that don't like Ninja Gaiden. It's like giving the guy in the gimp mask a back massage. He don't want it.

Haunted

I'm actually kinda surprised how much the missing dismemberment bothers me. In concept it's merely a bummer that they've taken it out, but seeing it missing in action like this really drives home how big of a deal it is. It's just a very obvious disconnect between the on-screen action and what is actually supposed to happen to the enemies.

Dany

Banned
The problem is that it's a Ninja Gaiden game for people that don't like Ninja Gaiden. It's like giving the guy in the gimp mask a back massage. He don't want it.

I've played through 1, black and 2. The aesthetic of the game is besides the point for me, IMO. The quicktime events are far between and the action seems much tighter. The story they are going for for this game seems quite 'out of fiction' for what an ninja gaide game should be but eh/

Jeff was not jumping, dashing or sparrow attacking enough. He was not completing combos, nor ever did the izuna drop. The disorientation seems really cool and just intensifies the whole 'im a badass' aspect these games always strives for. Also, this game doesn't look sterile like 2.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I've played through 1, black and 2. The aesthetic of the game is besides the point for me, IMO. The quicktime events are far between and the action seems much tighter. The story they are going for for this game seems quite 'out of fiction' for what an ninja gaide game should be but eh/

Jeff was not jumping, dashing or sparrow attacking enough. He was not completing combos, nor ever did the izuna drop. The disorientation seems really cool and just intensifies the whole 'im a badass' aspect these games always strives for. Also, this game doesn't look sterile like 2.
I'm referring to how the game isn't as punishing. You had to be a badass in NG1 and 2 because there was no other way to complete the game. Now the game makes you think you're a badass when you mash x and y a bunch.

Aretak

Jeff was not jumping, dashing or sparrow attacking enough. He was not completing combos, nor ever did the izuna drop.
The point is that it seems you don't actually need to do any of that stuff to get by though. Whereas in the previous games you needed a pretty good handle on the finer points of the combat system to have any success, even on the standard difficulty. Here you just seem to be able to mash your way through (on normal at least).

StuBurns

Banned
I think you can button mash thru the first level of black until you meet the first boss more or less, and Jeff nearly died on the red masked dude.

Dany

Banned
I'm referring to how the game isn't as punishing. You had to be a badass in NG1 and 2 because there was no other way to complete the game. Now the game makes you think you're a badass when you mash x and y a bunch.

The point is that it seems you don't actually need to do any of that stuff to get by though. Whereas in the previous games you needed a pretty good handle on the finer points of the combat system to have any success, even on the standard difficulty. Here you just seem to be able to mash your way through (on normal at least).

Times have changed. Normal isn't as it was in NG1. That is what hard is for.

LiK

I'm actually kinda surprised how much the missing dismemberment bothers me. In concept it's merely a bummer that they've taken it out, but seeing it missing in action like this really drives home how big of a deal it is. It's just a very obvious disconnect between the on-screen action and what is actually supposed to happen to the enemies.

i liked that Ryan pointed that out in the QL. all that blood and no dismemberment. stupid Hayashi and his dumb logic.

Top Bottom