• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Playstation 4 to launch October 21st

Chamber

love on your sleeve
When has a street date ever moved up? They are not gonna go out of their way to get out what would be the fourth best selling version early.

Street date is launch date. They've taken care to always say "current gen/PC on this day, next gen at launch" with regard to Battlefield, AC, Watch Dogs, COD and every other multiplatform title.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
For some reason I've always thought October would be a good time for the PS4 launch. Hope it's true.

Week of the 21st is perfect too. Release it that Friday, the 25th. That would be perfect.

Is there a complete list of launch games? I really have no idea what games to get with the system. :(
Lol me neither. I'll probably rush home from the midnight release after getting a speeding ticket, unbox it, set it up with my vita, hold the controller then turn on the ps3 and play The Last of Us.

The day Ubi decides to put out their game isn't up to Sony, so Sony isn't beholden to anything Ubi decides to do when releasing its system. As for Amazon's end of things (If those are the bundles we're talking about), what would you prefer they do? Hold you system until the game comes out and then send it? People would be furious if they did that. As for a potential sale, that's the case for every pre-order ever. You role the dice to have the privilege of being there day one; this is just an additional risk case of being unclear when "day one" will be. If a better deals comes out the day of or the day after, you're out of luck, but what would you expect them to do? I guess I can see being concerned that someone has taken your money without yet delivering the product, but short of charging you only a chunk of the cost or holding your system, what should they do?

Them holding the system is more likely than them selling the PS4 version early. I have a regular ass launch version but I would feel bad for the others.

Because they want to sell their game to PS4 owners at launch and make money

PS4 owners won't buy the game if it comes out with every other version?

Lol me neither. I'll probably rush home from the midnight release aftergetting a speading ticket, unbox it, set it up with my vita, hold the controller then turn on the ps3 and play The Last of Us.

This is all I want to do too.

I'm too busy with PS3, and only care for BF4 and Killzone.

I just want to play with the UI and hold that controller.

That weekend is the date that's always been my bet. Consoles typically launch on weekends (PS3 date was a Friday, 11/17/2006) and so many big 3rd party games hit shelves on 10/29 and 11/5.

That weekend has never seemed early to me, as every console launched in NA since 200 has hit between late Oct and mid Nov. Sony has seemed to really have all cylinders firing for every aspect of the PS4, so it's not surprising at all to see them ship in Oct, IMHO.

Castcoder

Banned
Lol me neither. I'll probably rush home from the midnight release after getting a speeding ticket, unbox it, set it up with my vita, hold the controller then turn on the ps3 and play The Last of Us.

Speaking of which, how long will that Season Pass be supported? I don't know about getting my PS3 set up to play Last of Us in March... Unless it's a meaty single player campaign, I guess.

Metfanant

Them holding the system is more likely than them selling the PS4 version early. I have a regular ass launch version but I would feel bad for the others

NO WAY! can you imagine the shit storm they would face if they held back launch consoles that they had guaranteed for day 1??...

These are technically soft bundles right? IF the games are not ready, my assumption is the amazon would handle this like any other time you order multiple items and they have to be shipped separately...they ship what's ready...charge you for whats ready...then charge you again when the rest of the order ships

NO WAY! can you imagine the shit storm they would face if they held back launch consoles that they had guaranteed for day 1??...

These are technically soft bundles right? IF the games are not ready, my assumption is the amazon would handle this like any other time you order multiple items and they have to be shipped separately...they ship what's ready...charge you for whats ready...then charge you again when the rest of the order ships

I could see them giving you the system at launch but they will not only charge you for what shipped. I'm not saying it's likely just more so than the PS4 shipping first.

Metfanant

I could see them giving you the system at launch but they will not only charge you for what shipped. I'm not saying it's likely just more so than the PS4 shipping first.

You dont buy a lot from amazon do you? That's how they function...doesn't matter how much you order or what the total is...you are charged when an item SHIPS...

If your whole order doesn't ship...you're only charged for what has...

You dont buy a lot from amazon do you? That's how they function...doesn't matter how much you order or what the total is...you are charged when an item SHIPS...

But they aren't different items it is literally counted as one item. Not have all three in an order and get a discount.

A "bundle" is theoretically one item. It's one price, one slot on the store. That's the question. That said, I still think they would send you the PS4 first because they would need to meet the "Launch" criteria of the purchase. How much they charge you at that point though would be unclear.

o58.gif

Is it pretty much GAF's consensus that Gamescom is the place for them to announce launch dates? TGS seems a bit late. I guess they could announce it on its own, too, maybe after GC and grab some more headlines after the trade show.

Wrynnax

Heya,
Long time lurker here, but now finally able to post!
I do believe stores got some info today here in Belgium. I got a text from my pre-order store saying that all pre-orders made before 24 of july will get them day one, all pre-orders made between then and 7th of august will be available by december at the latest, and all later pre-orders can't be guaranteed in 2013.
The wording of december for the second wave of pre-orders makes an october launch quite possible according to me..;But hey, in a week we'll know for sure :)

Speaking of which, how long will that Season Pass be supported? I don't know about getting my PS3 set up to play Last of Us in March... Unless it's a meaty single player campaign, I guess.
I really don't know, but I sure do want some dlc quickly. I'm on my second play through and really wanting new content. Though if Uncharted 2 & 3 is anything to go by there should be a fair bit of dlc.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is it pretty much GAF's consensus that Gamescom is the place for them to announce launch dates? TGS seems a bit late. I guess they could announce it on its own, too, maybe after GC and grab some more headlines after the trade show.

Almost definitely. It'll probably be like the price announcement where they do several regions at once.

Metfanant

But they aren't different items it is literally counted as one item. Not have all three in an order and get a discount.

A "bundle" is theoretically one item. It's one price, one slot on the store. That's the question. That said, I still think they would send you the PS4 first because they would need to meet the "Launch" criteria of the purchase. How much they charge you at that point though would be unclear.

I understand how it is listed...but just as the bundles don't actually exist as bundles...it would be relatively easy imo for amazon to convert those orders to "launch edition" consoles and then other separate items...things like PS+ cards would obviously still be able to ship...

This all probably doesn't matter though as my bet will be on the games being available at launch even if the console is this "early"

These types of decisions are not made on a whim (just like price points) so devs/pubs will be in the know...

rodan

Neo Member
Are next gen game prices on places like amazon still placeholders or confirmed. £55 ($84ish) in the UK which is £15 or so above current gen.
(Edit for typo)

RetroStu

Banned
I know this doesn't mean anything certain but i was in HMV the other day (UK) and their PS4 and Xbox One promotions had Watchdogs cases that had 'launching Nov 5th' on them, i suppose that could be just Xbox One though.

If the date is true, prepare to be wrong on this. They stand to gain a lot of extra sales by being there on launch.

As opposed to what? People are already spending at least 400$. Those sales will still be there during the later date. There may be even more consoles out there in Nov. No one is gonna be like, "welp, I guess since its not out now ill buy Knack and never buy Watch Dogs."

Paganmoon

As opposed to what? People are already spending at least 400$. Those sales will still be there during the later date. There may be even more consoles out there in Nov. No one is gonna be like, "welp, I guess since its not out now ill buy Knack and never buy Watch Dogs."

You seem to get it. Having "staggered" launch titles won't hurt either console manufacturers or the devs/publishers.

ASFM

Neo Member
Sounds about right.

Not sure why anyone's arguing about the 3rd party games and how much or little they'll make on PS4. Every single PS4 copy is profit that didn't exist before, on top of the regular platforms these games usually launch on. AC4 will be the highest selling in the series, because it now has 4( Wii U 5?) systems to be purchased on, something for everybody.

Top Bottom