• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TheSrb2DUDE: Splatoon 2- Motion controld vs sticks?

It's a bit odd to get at first. But the Granularity of Motion controls basically gives way more control when you get used to them and with fewer inputs.

Ridley327

If for nothing else, the single player has a lot of situations where I can't imagine how you would be able to do some of the things that they throw at you without motion controls. The one level in world 3 with the
bouncy pads
and that world's boss are really reliant on not need to take your fingers off of ZR and B. And from where I'm at in Salmon Run, I don't know how the hell analog stick players could hope to keep up with how fast and furious waves come in at now.

Hugstable

Banned
It took me a bit at first but I gave the motion controls an honest try this time, compared to Splat 1 where I turned it off instantly and went on my way.

I have to say that not only do I play better with it now, but it's really enhanced my enjoyment of the game even more. I really like the feel of knowing I can make my aiming more precise by just nudging my controller around a bit. Plus pretty cool that you can use the motion controls to select where you wanna blast off too when you respawn

jonjonaug

For me it depends on the weapon of choice. I turn down the sensitivity with some weapons, and when I use the roller I turn it off completely.

It took me a bit at first but I gave the motion controls an honest try this time, compared to Splat 1 where I turned it off instantly and went on my way.
One thing that Splatoon 2 has over the orginal that i don't see mentioned often, is that since it's possible to use a splitted controller in this game, horizontal movement with motion is more confortable. It's easier to move 1 hand in the X axis than when the user has the 2 hands holding a controller. It's a more "free" way to aim.

Since in the Wii U version there wasn't support for Wii Remote that wasn't possible. Yet my gut feeling tells me the familiarity of the Pro controller would make it the more popular way to play this game.

Wait a second if I understood correctly motion controls gives you a slight aim assist/lock on?
Maybe he used the term snap making alusion to put the crosshair on the target?

Splatoon 1 wasn't like that at least, it had no aim assist for sticks or motion controls, That is why some stick only players taught the game had broken traditional controls because the training wheels were removed XD

Do you think motion aiming may become standard for console shooters? ]I really really hope it does, I mean it's not only demonstrably more accurate, but it's literally the only way I can play shooters with any sort of success.
Well Wii started things, it kept going with the Wii U and it's continuing with the Switch, Steam controller and in Virtual Reality is almost mandatory. XD

Ogodei

It helps the most in close-quarters firefights, imo. I spent a while in Splatoon without motion controls because i didn't understand using Y to recenter the camera, and switching back I instantly got better at surviving close quarters encounters.

Firefights between weapons of similar types hinge entirely on who can lock on faster and hold the aim better, and motion controls will do so much better with that.

Do you think motion aiming may become standard for console shooters? I really really hope it does, I mean it's not only demonstrably more accurate, but it's literally the only way I can play shooters with any sort of success.

Zafir

I've played with sticks quite a bit but yeah motion controls are superior.

Just gets tiring using motion controls all the time though. Especially with how you can't adjust the vertical axis with the stick, so you have to hold the pro controller up a bit so you aren't facing down.

Oxirane

Can you use the sticks and motion control at the same time in Splatoon? It looks like they gray out the other option.

I could see how it would annoy players wanting to try motion controls, if the sticks did nothing at all.

Zafir

Can you use the sticks and motion control at the same time in Splatoon? It looks like they gray out the other option.

I could see how it would annoy players wanting to try motion controls, if the sticks did nothing at all.

You can adjust horizontally but not vertically. Which is kind of irritating.

styl3s

I'm sure motions beats sticks but i always come out on top in terms of "kills" which isn't the main point of the game but plays a big part. Besides, when i play on my monitor motion controls never stays center like it dies when i sit back comfortably on my sofa in the living room so i play better with the sticks on my monitor which i mostly play on.

Dremorak

Banned
I've played with sticks quite a bit but yeah motion controls are superior.

Just gets tiring using motion controls all the time though. Especially with how you can't adjust the vertical axis with the stick, so you have to hold the pro controller up a bit so you aren't facing down.
You can just hit Y whenever you want to reset where the default position is. So just find a comfortable position and hit Y.

JCX

Nobody wants to feel temporarily bad even if the payoff is higher. I didn't play many modern shooters before Splatoon, so twin stick wasn't ingrained in my head. I imagine it would be tougher for someone who played CoD and Battlefield on console for a decade to adjust to motion.

Zafir

You can just hit Y whenever you want to reset where the default position is. So just find a comfortable position and hit Y.
Ah yeah, I knew that reset the camera, didn't think about the fact it could offset the motion controls, thanks.

Renna Hazel

Thankfully I've been doing just fine with motion controls turned off. It's definitely my preference even if it's not as snappy.

Pundere

It's baffling why they don't just let you do it the same way that Zelda does. Botw's motion controls felt great, the ones in Splatoon 2 feel awful in comparison.

It's baffling why they don't just let you do it the same way that Zelda does. Botw's motion controls felt great, the ones in Splatoon 2 feel awful in comparison.

It's the opposite for me. I always felt there was a slight delay before the movement occurred in Zelda. Can you even adjust the sensitivity? I honestly can't recall.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Maybe once you're used to it.

It feels very weird when you aren't that one axis of your stick just doesn't work. :p

Took awhile but I've gotten used to it, and I only started using this method for this game. I feltl like I got dominated the time that I refused to use it.

I'm trying to use motion but I'm really struggling to figure out when to use motion vs doing the movement with the right stick. I end up sucking with motion in fights and falling back on the sticks from muscle memory. I hear people say broad movement with sticks and precise with motion, but what is broad?

OryoN

I've been waiting for a real pro to weigh in on this. Dude is a freaking beast! There's a bit too much ignorance out there surrounding motion controls. Splatoon - a game that implements it better than just about any game out there - doesn't deserve that.

I'm trying to use motion but I'm really struggling to figure out when to use motion vs doing the movement with the right stick. I end up sucking with motion in fights and falling back on the sticks from muscle memory. I hear people say broad movement with sticks and precise with motion, but what is broad?

If you have to turn around, or maybe even anything more than 90°, use the stick. When you've got someone in your view, that's when the finer controls are really helpful for keeping track of the target and not overshooting. But trust me, it really takes time to "unlearn" those reflexive actions of using two sticks.

I'm definitely in the minority here but I can't stand the motion controls. Worked for me in Zelda since they're only active when you're aiming with your bow. But on Splatoon, where motion controls are always active, I find myself fighting with the camera more often than not.

Traditional dual sticks is my preference at the moment. Haven't completely written off motion controls though and may give them another try in the future.

It's funny, because I have no desire to aim up or down with sticks. I utterly despise analog sticks for aiming.

So do I. If it was up to me I'd be using M+K but unfortunately I'm stuck with a controller so I'd at least like the option to tailor it a little better to what's comfortable for me.

Syril

I play 100% motion controls. As in I play in portable mode and physically turn around when necessary. I never even touch the right stick.

I really want to get into Splatoon motion controls but I don't find them comfortable and confusing :(

And I played LOTS of FPS on Wii and DS

bart64

Banned
The reason is that the y axis can be covered entirely from top to bottom in a very small range of motion. By keeping it entirely on motion, you get muscle memory for the angle of your shot. You know exactly where the middle is and can go there in a millisecond and later you can snap to all angles without any adjusting.

Zelda's gameplay is not so twitchy, so they chose the slower and easier method that prioritizes sticks. Have you tried playing splatoon standing up? It makes a lot more sense if your arms are free and you can center the controller in a comfortable position.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Stick controls only advantage is that people are used to it and resistant to change

nah. I tried it in splatoon and now tried it again with splatoon 2. it just won't click with me and I really tried.

I'm still usually in first or second placed in my team, even with sticks tho.

but I won't say "sticks are better than motion" because, what do I care what you use? just play the way you're the most comfortable.

nah. I tried it in splatoon and now tried it again with splatoon 2. it just won't click with me and I really tried.

I'm still usually in first or second placed in my team, even with sticks tho.

but I won't say "sticks are better than motion" because, what do I care what you use? just play how you're the most comfortable with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to shame people out of using sticks: you can definitely play at a high level with them. But motion controls are more precise and I feel like if, say, the original Xbox had gyro and people learned to play Halo that way, by now it wouldn't even be a debate.

Stick controls only advantage is that people are used to it and resistant to change

I will always use motion.

I'm not afraid of change. And it's fun as hell.

What's up with that "I am not afraid of change" snowflake BS? And using a video game as a benchmark for people who wants to change or not is ridiculous.

Motion controls just don't click to everyone and that doesn't mean that folks haven't tried it.

molnizzle

What's up with that "I am not afraid of change" snowflake BS? And using a video game as a benchmark for people who wants to change or not is ridiculous.

Motion controls just don't click to everyone and that doesn't mean that folks haven't tried it.

Whether they "click" or not is irrelevant because they're objectively better. More accurate, faster response time.

I think they point those posters are making is that you probably sucked with dual analogs the first time you used them too. You eventually learned them and got used to them. You could do the same with Splatoon's motion controls - and you should, because you'll end up being a better player.

Renna Hazel

Whether they "click" or not is irrelevant because they're objectively better. More accurate, faster response time.

I think they point those posters are making is that you probably sucked with dual analogs the first time you used them too. You eventually learned them and got used to them. You could do the same with Splatoon's motion controls - and you should, because you'll end up being a better player.

Yeah, no...how a game feels to play should never be considered irrelevant. At least to me, video games are still about having fun.

I would be surprised if anyone found dual stick shooter controls intuitive the first few times they tried it. It was just the only viable option on consoles for the better part of two decades, unless you were one of the relative few people playing shooters on Nintendo consoles or with a PS Move. Again, if gyro controls were an option in the early 2000s when console twin stick shooters first started to take off, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

Because the goal of Turf War is to cover as much ground as possible, motion is even more helpful than it would be if the goal was to just splat other players. Being able to quickly flick your aim up for big ground covering is essential to victory depending on the type of weapon you're using.

Top Bottom