• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much more powerful is the Switch vs Wii U?

I'll say one thing though, it does actually make a tangible difference going from 720p Wii U to 900/1080p Switch gaming, even if we are talking about a mainly resolution increase, it does make Nintendo games look so much better, and coupled with the fact that the hardware is league's above the Wii U in quality and design.

zenspider

Data-wise that's a paltry amount. And remember it was done on GameCube which had ~40MB of ram.

No idea if the item limit was hardware related, but we have no idea what data is actually being loaded for each item (AI, physics, animations, etc.).

Either way, this is a horrible metric for general "power".

Just look at Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 1080p and some additional effects, along with a better frame rate.

(And guys, stop calling Splatoon 2 Splatoon 1. Go watch the Digital Foundry video, there are visual improvements that differentiate it).

I think that if you can't tell the games apart at "first glance" and DF needs to point out differences I don't think it's an unfair call tbh.

Ryoku

Wii U: Base Goku
Switch undocked/docked: Kaioken/x2
XB1: SSJ1
PS4: Ascended SSJ
PS4Pro: SSJ2
XB1X: SSJ3
GTX1080: Yamcha

wii u's like 22 gamecubes duct taped together i guess
handheld mode switch is maybe 26 gamecubes soldered together
docked switch could be like 60 gamecubes

matthewuk

I wish there was some developers benchmark floating around.

Please remember this is a handheld that will up clock for TV output. Your closest analog in terms of power is Xbox 360+ with RAM Pak in handheld mode and Xbox 360 PRO when docked.

In terms of CPU Vs
It is equivilent to the espresso clocked at 2ghz with bonus full SIMD or roughly on par with xenos (the xenos was pretty inefficient) not bad for a 1ghz CPU. Or about 80% of the jaguar CPUs in the PS4 (on a single core basis)

GPU

A bit simpler.despite been 192 gflops in handheld mode due to been more modern is at least as good as the 240glops Xbox 360 if not better, and double or better in docked mode.

So in theory you should be able to run say modern warfare ghosts 360 at a full 720p with better textures in handheld and run it at 1080p when docked

I look at the lowest common denominator, which is handheld mode. It's not like you can make a game for the system that only works if it has the extra power from being docked. I'd say 1.5-2 times the Wii U while undocked, anything more than that while docked will be used for resolution bumps. This is why I have to scratch my head at the people who were expecting the next Beyond Good & Evil to run on the system.
Only the GPU clock speed changes docked/undocked. It still has a much more modern architecture with GPU features that matches the PS4-pro. The usable RAM quantity and CPU is also around 3.25x the Wii U's.

Please remember this is a handheld that will up clock for TV output. Your closest analog in terms of power is Xbox 360+ with RAM Pak in handheld mode and Xbox 360 PRO when docked.

In terms of CPU Vs
It is equivilent to the espresso clocked at 2ghz with bonus full SIMD or roughly on par with xenos (the xenos was pretty inefficient) not bad for a 1ghz CPU. Or about 80% of the jaguar CPUs in the PS4 (on a single core basis)

GPU

A bit simpler.despite been 192 gflops in handheld mode due to been more modern is at least as good as the 240glops Xbox 360 if not better, and double or better in docked mode.

360 is ancient tech, undocked switch would probably be more like the equivalent of 500 xbox360 gflops

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Wii U only can run Mario Kart 8 at 720p and 59fps. Is not strong enough to run UE4 games.

Switch can run Mario Kart 8 at 1080p and 60fps. It has UE4 support.

This is a huge increasement in performance. Consider Switch between Xone and Wii U, perhaps closer to Wii U than Xone, but not far from the middle.
WiiU runs MK8 fine at 60fps online. Running UE4 has nothing to do with strength.

360 is ancient tech, undocked switch would probably be more like the equivalent of 500 xbox360 gflops

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the general FLOPS numbers we see (like 192 undocked) represent only the maximum theoretical floating point operations per second of that hardware, right? And more modern chips tend to be able to get far closer to that maximum than older chips, due to various architectural changes that are beyond my understanding, yes?

So hypothetically, the 360 may have averaged something (completely pulled out of my ass) like 75 GFLOPS while the Switch undocked can average something like 150 GFLOPS. Is that a good way to understand it?

In terms of CPU Vs

GPU

So in theory you should be able to run say modern warfare ghosts 360 at a full 720p with pc textures in handheld and run it at 1080p when docked

The Switch's GPU is stronger then what is in the 360 by a big chunk. Like the Switch wouldn't break a sweat running any 360 game in handheld mode what so ever. Compare Skyrim 360 vs Switch.

WiiU runs MK8 fine at 60fps online. Running UE4 has nothing to do with strength.

Engine support is much more dependent on feature set than power correct?

Xb1x>>>Ps4pro>>>ps4>>x1>>>>switch>ps360>>>>>wiiu>>>>wii>>>>>>>gamecube

> value 1 x2 squared

Errr, the Wii U was more powerful than the PS3 and 360. Overall, anyway.

I think devs just often didn't put in the time to actually optimize their games all that well (and with that install base size who could blame them).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the general FLOPS numbers we see (like 192 undocked) represent only the maximum theoretical floating point operations per second of that hardware, right? And more modern chips tend to be able to get far closer to that maximum than older chips, due to various architectural changes that are beyond my understanding, yes?

So hypothetically, the 360 may have averaged something (completely pulled out of my ass) like 75 GFLOPS while the Switch undocked can average something like 150 GFLOPS. Is that a good way to understand it?

To be fair i dont actually know, just know that more modern stuff is more powerful flop for flop, even the wii u at 176 glops had a chunk more GPU power than the 360 at 240 and switch is obviously far more modern than that

To be fair i dont actually know, just know that more modern stuff is more powerful flop for flop, even the wii u at 176 glops had a chunk more GPU power than the 360 at 240 and switch is obviously far more modern than that

I dunno, that's how I've seen it explained before and it's always made more logical sense to me to think about it like that (more modern = can get closer to the theoretical peak) rather than X flops = 2* Y flops. It's just weird to quantify it in that way- a floating point operation is a floating point operation, why would one method of doing those operations result in a different level of performance from another if they wind up with the same speed.

But I readily admit I'm definitely no expert here.

butman

Rounder goggles more powerful

Y6rHpU.jpg

Same console, greater leap.

latest
ttiFmQC.gif

How to measure everything using GameCube Unit (GC's):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1350462

someone do the math, it's the only way of knowing

1 GameCube = 9.4 GFLOPS
Wii U = 176 GFLOPS / 9.4 = 18.72 GC's

Switch docked undocked / portable:
157 GFLOPS / 9.4 = 16.7 GC's
157 GFLOPS / 18.72 = 8.39 Wii U's
157 GFLOPS / 176 = 0.89 Wii U's

Switch undocked / portable docked:
393 GFLOPS / 9.4 = 41.81 GC's
393 GFLOPS / 18.72 = 21 Wii U's
393 GFLOPS / 176 = 2.23 Wii U's

So there you have it.

Switch docked is as powerful as 16 GameCubes / 8 Wii Us duct-taped together.
Switch undocked / portable is 40 GameCubes / 21 Wii Us duct-taped together.

Switch undocked / portable is as powerful as 16 GameCubes / 0.8 Wii Us duct-taped together.
Switch docked is 40 GameCubes / 2 Wii Us duct-taped together.

^ Besides switching docked and undocked those numbers make no sense. You're dividing the Switch GFLOPS by the number of GCs that the Wii U is.

But I appreciate the effort.

1 GameCube = 9.4 GFLOPS

Switch docked:

Switch undocked / portable:

So there you have it.

Switch docked is 393 gflops undocked is 196

^ Besides switching docked and undocked those numbers make no sense. You're dividing the Switch GFLOPS by the number of GCs that the Wii U is.

But I appreciate the effort.

Yeah I didn't think the Wii U numbers through lol, here's a revision:

As for the docked and undocked numbers, I was only going by impressions posted earlier in the thread. I've seen people say Switch is more powerful undocked than docked, while others say otherwise. 'Tis a bit confusing.

As for the docked and undocked numbers, I was only going by impressions posted earlier in the thread. I've seen people say Switch is more powerful undocked than docked, while others say otherwise. 'Tis a bit confusing.

No worries, I definitely get that mix-up. As for undocked vs docked, undocked is verifiably less powerful than docked, since people have done tests to see that the Switch's power draw is a lot lower in undocked/portable mode. On top of that we have DF's leaks about the exact clock rates which is where we get the above numbers from (undocked was bumped up to a max of 196GF btw).

But as people have said this entire thread, just comparing FLOP numbers doesn't really tell you much since more modern chip sets will still be more powerful than older ones even if the raw FLOP numbers are lower.

I think the undocked/docked confusion may have come from comparing BotW's framerate. The reason it runs better in undocked mode is because it renders half the pixels and likely tones down some effects like edge AA.

A couple of games run a tiny bit worse in docked but obviously they run in higher resolution

matthewuk

The switch gpu got a speed boost from 304mhz to 384mhz (ish) so it is 196glops exactly half of docked

matthewuk

Shame they couldn't of squeezed in dat 32mb edram, that really helped the Wii u punch above its weight, would of been killer for the switch

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
1 GameCube = 9.4 GFLOPS

Switch docked:

Switch undocked / portable:

So there you have it.

Flipper didn't use flops for anything else but vertex computations. This comparison is pointless.

No worries, I definitely get that mix-up. As for undocked vs docked, undocked is verifiably less powerful than docked, since people have done tests to see that the Switch's power draw is a lot lower in undocked/portable mode. On top of that we have DF's leaks about the exact clock rates which is where we get the above numbers from (undocked was bumped up to a max of 196GF btw).

But as people have said this entire thread, just comparing FLOP numbers doesn't really tell you much since more modern chip sets will still be more powerful than older ones even if the raw FLOP numbers are lower

Flipper didn't use flops for anything else but vertex computations. This comparison is pointless.

Oh no I wasn't being serious with my analysis, I was doing it to join in on the fun. :v

I also get what you're saying though. When looking up the numbers I've read posts explaining how the GFLOP numbers for Switch (undocked) and Wii U are lower compared to the PS3 and 360 (which are both around the low 200s), but PS3/360-era games on the former two platforms would have superior performance since they had newer architecture under the hood.

Just with Zelda, we can tell it's a lot more powerful when undocked, you have the same resolution as the wii u, but almost always locked frame rate, where wii u is constantly dropping, this was a game built on the wii u and ported to the Switch in less than a year according to their GDC talk this year.

It's anywhere from 1.5x to 2x faster as a handheld and twice that when docked, this is not getting into mixed precision which could get pretty close to current gen consoles when docked when everything is taken into account.

The real port problem with the switch is that the cpu clock is too low, it's much faster than wii u's cpu, but it's only giving about 50% of what devs on the ps4 have for instance.

For anyone looking for a comparison with Xbox 1, when undocked, it is 20% to 35% of xb1's performance and double that when docked, of course the higher the range, the more mixed precision is being utilized. Switch would have been closer with pascal, but it isn't much closer, something like 25% to 40% when undocked and double that when docked.
I thought the bandwidth was the biggest problem? At least gpu, CPU, and RAM scale proportionally.

Oh no I wasn't being serious with my analysis, I was doing it to join in on the fun. :v

I also get what you're saying though. When looking up the numbers I've read posts explaining how the GFLOP numbers for Switch (undocked) and Wii U are lower compared to the PS3 and 360 (which are both around the low 200s), but PS3/360-era games on the former two platforms would have superior performance since they had newer architecture under the hood.

Oh yeah I understood haha, I just like to put a little disclaimer for that comparison since a lot of people seem to still think flop to flop comparisons tell you the whole story.

But your first post which had the docked Switch being 21 Wii U's had me giggling.

Top Bottom