• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Kurita

Spent three weeks in Japan this summer, it definitely convinced me that I wanted to spend more time there... Need to check my school's exchange program, they can send 20 students in various Japanese universities. I can go to Tokyo, Fukuoka and Osaka.
I'm half anxious/half excited about doing it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Nice, have an awesome time! I'm going to send you a PM about this.

Thanks for the PM; hearing first hand experiences is useful since the typical tourist information tries to be as scary as possible. I bought all the appropriate gear today (didn't feel like carrying it with me for three weeks). Light insulated jacket, gloves, head lamp, water/food, poncho, waterproofing spray for shoes, etc. Unfortunately I'm going to be a little gear-heavy since I decided to bring a (lightweight) tripod and a couple lenses for my camera, but I want the best possible photo opportunities.

Climbing during the day or climbing during the night to see the sunrise, and which path?

One of the best sunrises I've ever seen. The people who live up there are pretty awesome as well. You can also send a postcard from the post office on the peak.

The plan is to leave in the morning and see the sunset at the summit. Not sure what route to take yet. It's off-season now so some stuff is closed, and I need to be able to get back to Tokyo at night once I get back down. There is very little information on the specifics of this. So just going to do it and figure it out on-site wherever there are holes.

You guys should include what you're doing here (for work or whatever)( ≖‿≖)

Great idea.

what you're doing here (for work or whatever
I'm a direct hire public school English teacher in Yamanashi.

What made you interested in Japan?
I have always been interested in 80s-early 00s anime and console video games. I'd say gaming had a bigger influence in my interest in going to Japan, Shenmue was the tipping point. 80s/90s Japan is where it's at IMO.

Why did you learn the language (for those who are not learning, are you interested?)?
I learned it mostly because I had to take a language in college. I chose Japanese and ended up majoring in it...er not the greatest of ideas
I wanted to learn it to play games without waiting for localization or maybe even work for a game company one day. I still want to be in the industry somehow...

Are you currently living in Japan?
Yes, with my wife and son.

How long have you lived in Japan?

8 years (1 as an exchange student in college and 7 as a teacher)

What is your favorite Hotto Motto meal?
Not really a fan of chain store bento. Chicken nanban I guess.

What is your favorite place in Japan?
Otaru and Osaka

What is your favorite Japanese food & drink?
I really like CC lemon and Yakitori.

What is your favorite season to be in Japan?
I really like autumn. It's not too cold and the nights are getting longer and longer for drink time.

Where are you from, and which languages do you speak? (conversational and above)
I'm from the United States, California. I can speak Japanese at a functional business level but I am kind of shy to use it. I also have survival Spanish down. I used to know more but Japanese pushed most of my Spanish knowledge from my brain.

What should we call you if we ever met you IRL?
Scott (nobody comes to Yamanashi to live but meeting other GAFers would be nice)

I can't believe I never noticed this thread before.

Thanks for the PM; hearing first hand experiences is useful since the typical tourist information tries to be as scary as possible. I bought all the appropriate gear today (didn't feel like carrying it with me for three weeks). Light insulated jacket, gloves, head lamp, water/food, poncho, waterproofing spray for shoes, etc. Unfortunately I'm going to be a little gear-heavy since I decided to bring a (lightweight) tripod and a couple lenses for my camera, but I want the best possible photo opportunities.

The plan is to leave in the morning and see the sunset at the summit. Not sure what route to take yet. It's off-season now so some stuff is closed, and I need to be able to get back to Tokyo at night once I get back down. There is very little information on the specifics of this. So just going to do it and figure it out on-site wherever there are holes.
I'm glad you found it helpful. Just be warned it can get pretty darn cold and windy at the top. It's probably hovering around 32 degrees F now.

I'm looking forward to the pics :).

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Great idea.

what you're doing here (for work or whatever
I'm a direct hire public school English teacher in Yamanashi.

What made you interested in Japan?
I have always been interested in 80s-early 00s anime and console video games. I'd say gaming had a bigger influence in my interest in going to Japan, Shenmue was the tipping point. 80s/90s Japan is where it's at IMO.

I get a feeling I know one of your favorites there, Fujisawa.

Have fun! I climbed Fuji little less than a month ago. I don't consider myself out of shape, but that climb kicked my ass. Granted, I don't think I brought enough food/water and I've spent my entire life at sea level, so the elevation got to me a bit.

Since this thread has become a I live here thread! Just out of curiosity as I switch jobs once again.

Question for the English (or other language) teachers that aren't staying in Japan short-term, truthfulness please!

1. Do you see yourself as a Lifer in language Teaching?

1.B Are you mainly just doing the language teaching so you can have a job + life in Japan?

2. Have you tried testing the water in job searches for something else? How did you feel about the chances of what you found? Your experience?

Let me answer this myself(I haven't taught English for 4 years so...)

1. Nope, certainly not
1.B Yes and I did it to save money to get educated in something else.

2. I did, did translation editing work for random smart phone games. otherwise not successful. Went back to America and got a Japan related job that paid far better then English teaching, saved up enough money that I can live in Japan day-trading and not do full-time work for at least a few years.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I'd like to make a couple changes to the OP title. Hate to be a stickler, but wouldn't it also be good to use the same |OT| thing that everyone else does?

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip—I live here!

or

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Those were my thoughts exactly. I can't go back to eating salad with a fork. It's just so inefficient!

Changed!

kgcVCEG.gif

Sometimes... i fell.... i'm.... :D

matt360

Question for the English (or other language) teachers that aren't staying in Japan short-term, truthfulness please!

I still don't know. I started on JET, but am now a direct hire at a high academic public school. More responsibility than an ALT, but less than a full on Japanese teacher. The pay is pretty good, with bonuses and the like. Downside is that if the BoE makes budget cuts, my job is likely the first thing to go, even if I'm kicking ass at my job. I would like to move back to the states someday as I have a lot of issues with the Japanese education system, and I worry about things like the bullying of mixed race children, etc. I've got a kid on the way so there's a lot to think about.

I do love teaching though, so if I do stay in Japan forever I will most likely be a teacher.

1.B Are you mainly just doing the language teaching so you can have a job + life in Japan?

Yes and no. I love my job, my co-workers, and most of all, my students. My school has an international department with kids who want to be bilingual and work outside of Japan in the future. Our English club is bigger than our baseball team. However I do feel like I ended up here simply because there were no other options. Like I'm here by default. I would love to make video games but not if that means I have to work the ridiculous hours of a normal salaryman. I don't want that life. I already work about 2 hours of unpaid overtime every day, and I refuse to let work interfere with my family time any more than it has to.

2. Have you tried testing the water in job searches for something else? How did you feel about the chances of what you found? Your experience?

I've done some freelance translation for some local businesses here in Hiroshima. I've also done several bits of voice work for companies like Nippon Steel and Sumitomo Metal Corporation. Never on staff or anything like that, but it pays very well for a couple hours in a recording studio. I would probably do voice work full time if it could support me and my family.

Since this thread has become a I live here thread! Just out of curiosity as I switch jobs once again.

1. Hell. No.
I never expected to stay more than two years but then that takes is to #2 I always knew this kind of work wasn't permanent. I like what I do but know the grim reality I'll be the first cut when times get rough like the poster above.

1b. I am teaching because I originally came to pay off student loans (completed in 09). Then I got married and had a kid. The money was good and having kids here is much cheaper than in the US (like as in mostly free). Now I'm still here because I got too comfortable. I plan to move back to California either in 15 or 16. My current contract is limited to 3 consecutive years because my predecessors ruined the gig with their drama and weirdness.

2. I tired getting different jobs and made it to 3 final interviews but never made the cut probably due to lack of practical experience. There aren't many transferable skills in teaching here unless you stay in education which I prefer not to. I applied t US embassy, a couple of colleges, and a couple of office/business amin jobs. I kick myself for having a liberal arts major in Japanese. It's not enough to find good paying jobs unless I get a teaching credential and masters degree. I am done with being a debt laden student. At 33 i can't afford to do that again. The future for me is grim... Any help out there?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
You're probably screwed. What transferable skills/experience do you get there as a teacher if your career isn't education? Usually Japanese is the only one. What do most former alts do.. I can tell you and I'm sure you can tell me too since we all probably know a million. They either go back to school for something unrelated/their original plan or they try to get some sort of translator/interpreter job. I know multiple people who did that, hell there are some on gaf.

The other choice is usually trying to get a good, old office gig.. but then you guys are usually the "I don't want to be a salaryman" type. So.. then.. what? Start your own business, try sales, try headhunting, try IT, try something.. no need to default to the usual. The usual is what pays bills the easiest though.

edit: I should clarify that you're "screwed" in terms of options as they're usually few and competitive due to how many are in similar situations. So why not just do what's best and keep teaching in Japan? You're already in that mentality that Japan is "better" than the US because of the quality of life your salary brings there compared to America. You won't be able to get around that unless you end up getting a real job with a real salary/benefits in America.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos

A little late for me to reply, but the chuo line to Otsuki and then the bus to Fuji Subaru line station 5 is the best way I know. Also from my experience, the less you bring the easier the hike because of the elevation. Also bring something to cover your face for the descend because there is a lot of dust.

You're probably screwed. What transferable skills/experience do you get there as a teacher if your career isn't education? Usually Japanese is the only one. What do most former alts do.. I can tell you and I'm sure you can tell me too since we all probably know a million. They either go back to school for something unrelated/their original plan or they try to get some sort of translator/interpreter job. I know multiple people who did that, hell there are some on gaf.

The other choice is usually trying to get a good, old office gig.. but then you guys are usually the "I don't want to be a salaryman" type. So.. then.. what? Start your own business, try sales, try headhunting, try IT, try something.. no need to default to the usual. The usual is what pays bills the easiest though.

Ouch, "you guys". It may be somewhat true but that still hurt. :( If I misread your intended tone of your message let me know. I'm not keen on being pigeonholed and dismissed as a lost cause. My situation is grim but I haven't resigned myself to hopelessness.

Actually a salaryman job is an option for me. I'm not looking for an easy out by just riding out the gravy train as an English entertainer. I want to restart even if it means a restart to something lower.

I would take pretty much anything when I get back to the US and just work my way back up. I don't expect to even find a job where I can use Japanese but I will be applying like hell to Japanese business and those that do business with Japanese firms.

I have some experience in formal document and manual translation, active directory and network domain administration via helping out with a friends network business. I'm hoping to get hooked up with an entry level job at my friends network management business. I had a chance to fill an open position last year but I was dumb and didn't want to break contract. If it comes up again I'm out of Japan on the first flight. I suppose going back to school to get credentials to teach Japanese in public schools in the US isn't completely out of the question. I do have connections in that field but my heart isn't quite in it.

Nothing is beneath me and unlike most other " you guys " I'm motivated to change.
Disclaimer -

This message was written between classes. I usually don't sit on my ass surfing the web like many others. I take my job somewhat seriously, whatever it may be. I don't like abusing the system despite how easy it may be.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I threw that edit in, in case you didn't see, to clarify I wasn't being as mean (as I usually am) about the Engish teaching. You're one of the good ones, I know, so I do wish you the best. It's just I can sort of picture in my head every single option you're going to take, because it's so telegraphed at this point after seeing it for years.

If you're willing to go back to the US and start from scratch, I'm impressed, but I have a feeling your wife will not have the..best impression..of her new home then. That's a totally different and deep topic lol.

At this point, I'm just saying why even throw away the good thing you do have. Maybe at the end of your contract pick a new location (assuming your wife's family isn't holding you down) and see how much it mixes things up.

1. Hell. No.
I never expected to stay more than two years but then that takes is to #2 I always knew this kind of work wasn't permanent. I like what I do but know the grim reality I'll be the first cut when times get rough like the poster above.

1b. I am teaching because I originally came to pay off student loans (completed in 09). Then I got married and had a kid. The money was good and having kids here is much cheaper than in the US (like as in mostly free). Now I'm still here because I got too comfortable. I plan to move back to California either in 15 or 16. My current contract is limited to 3 consecutive years because my predecessors ruined the gig with their drama and weirdness.

2. I tired getting different jobs and made it to 3 final interviews but never made the cut probably due to lack of practical experience. There aren't many transferable skills in teaching here unless you stay in education which I prefer not to. I applied t US embassy, a couple of colleges, and a couple of office/business amin jobs. I kick myself for having a liberal arts major in Japanese. It's not enough to find good paying jobs unless I get a teaching credential and masters degree. I am done with being a debt laden student. At 33 i can't afford to do that again. The future for me is grim... Any help out there?

I'm in a similar boat. I was a JET for three years while I self studied Japanese. I didn't have any specific goals, but just thought that if I got my Japanese good enough, something would come along. I got married and my wife got transferred, so we moved to a different prefecture. I tried to find something outside of English teaching, but we were in a pretty small city, so back to English teaching I went. We spent a year there then moved to Tokyo. I tried to avoid English teaching again, but at this point I had nothing but four years of English teaching experience and N2 Japanese certification, which isn't worth much. I tried translating but it turns out I'm not very good at that. The only jobs I could find with my experience were English teaching and recruiting. I applied for a bunch of recruiting companies, had a couple interviews, and only got accepted by one, which happened to be the one with the worst reputation. My job would have been making cold calls and literally lying to people all day. Fortunately (?) I had a family issue and had to briefly go back to America so I didn't take the recruiting offer. So yeah, I'm still teaching English. It's not all bad though since a couple months back a chance meeting with a friend of a friend helped me finally figure out what I want to do. So now I'm studying to get some IT certifications. I got CCNA Routing & Switching and am going for Voice next.

That was long, sorry, but my advice is to try to get some certifications in something you're interested in. I didn't have to go back to school for training, since all you really need is a textbook and a computer. There are a ton of free or cheap learning resources available online. Or you could try recruiting. I have a friend who got in with a better company than I did. After he got some experience he was hired by an even better company and now he is pulling in a TON of money. But he has no free time, is stressed out of his mind, and is basically killing himself drinking with clients every day, but, hey, he's meeting all the right people and can jump out at some point with a lot of money saved. Outside of getting lucky with a job offer, the only thing I could think of doing is completely embracing English teaching and get those certifications. My sister was a JET for a year and went home and got her teaching degree. Now she works for the city teaching ESL, with a great schedule and benefits. She just got a day off because it was her birthday! How nuts is that?

If you're willing to go back to the US and start from scratch, I'm impressed, but I have a feeling your wife will not have the..best impression..of her new home then. That's a totally different and deep topic lol.

Totally don't want to completely derail the topic... but if you really have business level Japanese (the N1 Certificate doesn't hurt in Job hunting) and are open to moving to different cities in America, finding something with close to the same pay(or more) is not at all an impossible task.

I'm an expert

headhunting.. IT.. continue teaching English..

am I an expert, or what?

Totally don't want to completely derail the topic... but if you really have business level Japanese (the N1 Certificate doesn't hurt in Job hunting) and are open to moving to different cities in America, finding something with close to the same pay(or more) is not at all an impossible task. (benefits is another question though)

It's his experience that will hold him back, not his language ability, though I'm going to just assume it's not business level Japanese. Salary/quality of life will totally depend on the city and region, and there are way more factors to consider when you have a family - and most likely a wife who will want to visit family often.

I threw that edit in, in case you didn't see, to clarify I wasn't being as mean (as I usually am about the Engish teaching. You're one of the good ones, I know, so I do wish you the best. It's just I can sort of picture in my head every single option you're going to take, because it's so telegraphed at this point after seeing it for years.

At this point, I'm just saying why even throw away the good thing you do have. Maybe at the end of your contract pick a new location (assuming your wife's family isn't holding you down) and see how much it mixes things up.

OK didn't see the edit till after posting. Thanks for the clarification.

I agree it does seem I'm throwing a good thing away but I know I can do better.

I've discussed this with my wife, who does have higher expectations as you guessed. She is actually the one who is pushing me to move back as she knows my job is a dead end. She's behind the move 100% and is comfortable reading and speaking English which helps a lot even though most of our conversations are in Japanese.

She is ready for tighter living as long as I get a job where raises and promotions are possible. Which most jobs offer in the US. I think what helps make this decision easier is that we don't live with the parents like most married lifers do. We are completely independent and have a decent savings to get us started.

I can't really have many regrets because my poor education and work decisions led me to my wife and sun. I just got to fight through it again and go through yet another big life change. If I knew better, I would've stuck with computer engineering but I lost my love of it because I am not so hot with math.

I'm an expert

The wife thing will be an issue. I shower mine with luxuries and it will still never be Japan. I'm not going to say your wife and mine are the same, but let's just say I can see the typical path in your future with that situation as well.

It won't just be about the money or language barrier, and you'll think California has a HUGE Japanese population.. sure, it'll be just like Ja..

no

no it won't be

mujun

Pretty much. I love teaching at the place I currently work. I've been there for six years. Direct hire by a private HS/JHS. I get about twelve weeks of holiday a year as well as 20+ days of leaving at 2:30 rather than 4:30. Get paid well for a teaching job, have great coworkers, never have to work weekends or do overtime, etc, etc. Oh, yeah, and I really like the students, feel a sense of satisfaction in terms of being able to help them develop their English and get to spend at least two years with every group that I teach.

See the above.

A little here and there. I was keen on translation for the longest time until I realized it would be a salaryman style gig with tough hours, deadlines, etc, etc. Not my cup of tea. Same thing goes with general office work. That's about it in terms of what I've considered besides what I am doing. I also did a stint in admin/training while at NOVA but realized that I missed what I enjoyed about the job, the teaching.

OK didn't see the edit till after posting. Thanks for the clarification.

I agree it does seem I'm throwing a good thing away but I know I can do better.

I've discussed this with my wife, who does have higher expectations as you guessed. She is actually the one who is pushing me to move back as she knows my job is a dead end. She's behind the move 100% and is comfortable reading and speaking English which helps a lot even though most of our conversations are in Japanese.

She is ready for tighter living as long as I get a job where raises and promotions are possible. Which most jobs offer in the US. I think what helps make this decision easier is that we don't live with the parents like most married lifers do. We are completely independent and have a decent savings to get us started.

I can't really have many regrets because my poor education and work decisions led me to my wife and sun. I just got to fight through it again and go through yet another big life change. If I knew better, I would've stuck with computer engineering but I lost my love of it because I am not so hot with math.
If I may say, you shouldn't focus on the one thing you were doing in Japan up until now so much. More than that, try to focus on your skills, strong points and people you know which could be of some help to come up with an business idea and start your own business. Especially here in Japan it's more about who you know than what you know. That's at least my experience. If you don't feel comfortable with the idea of being self-employed, there are recently many start-ups in Japan which are in need of people and maybe there is one, which need somebody with your skill set. In the end it comes down to how much you really want it I guess. That's my view on things.

The wife thing will be an issue. I shower mine with luxuries and it will still never be Japan. I'm not going to say your wife and mine are the same, but let's just say I can see the typical path in your future with that situation as well.

It won't just be about the money or language barrier, and you'll think California has a HUGE Japanese population.. sure, it'll be just like Ja..

no

no it won't be

Actually California is where my family and roots are but, I'm still not sure why you think my path is already one of a pre determined number. I'm getting a bit scared of what you may already know. :(

Having a Japanese expat population in California may be nice but i don't expect her to make many friends I only have one Japanese acquaintance besides my past professors back there and she's the wife of my friend. So not a very close connection as they're married and have their own lives to live.

My wife does expect a lot, I won't lie. She's got a family much better off than my own. I had to pay my own way throughout life even during my later years of highschool. She knew what she was getting into when she married me. Before marrying, I made it clear that I'm not a sugar daddy and that life will not be as easy as when growing up although I will try to make it as comfortable as possible. This could eventually be a big point of contention if I can't find an adequate job and I'm prepared for the hard times. My expectations of success and hers are markedly different. I am worried but I'm not going to waste my time worrying over every what if that comes across my mind. O would never mind out of my comfort zone if that were the case.

Maybe you know something I don't see in the grand picture. I'd appreciate any input into possible situations you've already foreseen that I can avoid or minimize.

-Disclaimer to people planning to live their lives out here:

I don't think any lower of you for the decision. As long as you have a job and happy family and a home, there's no shame in this line of work when you're able to provide . Money is money after all. I'm just not cut out for society here. I don't like being a second class citizen and treated as a temporary visitor being praised about superficial things like how good I can speak/read or how good my chopstick manners are. The general attitude toward non Japanese residents, regardless of if they naturalized or not, is just not something I'm keen on. I am however treated as an equal by some Japanese as they can see through how I work and live that I'm not just living on the dole, but for the most part I would prefer to raise my son in a place where differences are a bit more accepted.

Hopefully those on the fence can learn from my mistakes.

If I may say, you shouldn't focus on the one thing you were doing in Japan up until now so much. More than that, try to focus on your skills, strong points and people you know which could be of some help to come up with an business idea and start your own business. Especially here in Japan it's more about who you know than what you know. That's at least my experience. If you don't feel comfortable with the idea of being self-employed, there are recently many start-ups in Japan which are in need of people and maybe there is one, which need somebody with your skill set. In the end it comes down to how much you really want it I guess. That's my view on things.
Good advice. Connections are the key to jobs here. That's how I got my current one. I will need to call up connections in the US as well if I'm to be successful in avoiding unemployment. Thank you.

Good advice. Connections are the key to jobs here. That's how I got my current one. I will need to call up connections in the US as well if I'm to be successful in avoiding unemployment. Thank you.
You're welcome.
You know, I believe it doesn't matter so much that you do what so many other foreigners do in this country, which is teaching. Just by doing that, you don't share the same future by default. What does matter is that you understood your situation, which isn't a bad one to be honest. I'm repeating myself here, but it really comes down to what you want, how much you want it and which people you know. It's not about using or abusing people for your own good, but this is how this country works and it's not a bad thing. Also, try to see things in a more positive light and don't be so concerned about things which could become true. It's just a waste of energy. When you say "to be successful in avoiding unemployment", you set your own goal too low imho. How about "to be more successful and satisfied with what I do for a living" for example? You are still in control of your life, so set your goals right. We're not talking dreams here - but goals. It thankfully worked for me, so I'm sure it can work for you too.

I'm an expert

While we all know we can't walk in the light of the great Debito, I never got why foreigners were so obsessed with fitting in or being accepted. I come from a background wayyyy more interesting than the typical Japanese person, I never had an interest in being Japanese. Unlike a lot of people here, I didn't go to Japan because of games or some culture lust, I went because at the time I thought it was the best international economy to take advantage of. While the decision changed my life, I grossly miscalculated. Had I chosen China I'd be much richer. Not only did J-land's economy tank again, but the general interest the international markets had in Japanese products waned too.

But anyway, Japanese thinking whatever about me is so meaningless. You face being judged in America every day by your "own". I'm immune to that shit.

As for your future path, I'm not going to say I can predict it with certainty, but clearly I know wtf I'm talking about when it comes to these topics. Also, as someone who has lived in the most rural areas and the most metro areas, the attitudes you face do get a lot fewer when you get into the big cities. I'm sure you know well enough, but the rural folk can't help but look at foreigners the way someone in Godhelpus, Arkansas looks at any non-white out of towner. At least in Japan they usually mean well.

While we all know we can't walk in the light of the great Debito, I never got why foreigners were so obsessed with fitting in or being accepted. I come from a background wayyyy more interesting than the typical Japanese person, I never had an interest in being Japanese. Unlike a lot of people here, I didn't go to Japan because of games or some culture lust, I went because at the time I thought it was the best international economy to take advantage of. While the decision changed my life, I grossly miscalculated. Had I chosen China I'd be much richer. Not only did J-land's economy tank again, but the general interest the international markets had in Japanese products waned too.

But anyway, Japanese thinking whatever about me is so meaningless. You face being judged in America every day by your "own". I'm immune to that shit.

As for your future path, I'm not going to say I can predict it with certainty, but clearly I know wtf I'm talking about when it comes to these topics. Also, as someone who has lived in the most rural areas and the most metro areas, the attitudes you face do get a lot fewer when you get into the big cities. I'm sure you know well enough, but the rural folk can't help but look at foreigners the way someone in Godhelpus, Arkansas looks at any non-white out of towner. At least in Japan they usually mean well.
Well, if you are happy, more power to you I guess..? I for one really love the people, how safe it is to live here and that I really, really feel at home here. Also, I get that "great japanese", "awesome chopstick skills", "handsome foreigner" etc. a lot, but I never looked at it in a negative way. I always feel it's meant in a very positive way. I believe, while it's important to understand and respect their culture and how they deal with things, especially business wise, it's also very important to keep your special aspects as a foreigner and not to try being a japanese. The company I work for appreciates that I am not trying to be japanese and that I help to change and improve things for the better.

I am far from a rights crusader. I knew from the beginning I would always be considered an outsider. I like sticking out but iI also know when it's not just country folk just being country folk. I'm not quite sure why this subtle criticism of my feelings toward general treatment of non Japanese was needed. Maybe i should've just kept that part to myself as it seems to be a sensitive subject on both sides.

By the way, I'm a bit late to the thread. What's your background like, I'm an Expert? I'm curious to know why you think the way you do.

I found a health insurance bill I missed paying. Does anyone know if I can still pay it even though it's past the due date? It's the national health insurance.

I found a health insurance bill I missed paying. Does anyone know if I can still pay it even though it's past the due date? It's the national health insurance.
Yes. You'll have to do it in person at your city Hall or local government building from where it was issued. I've never paid late but I had a friend who is bad with bills and did this quite often. Usually there was no penalty as long as it was no more than a few weeks late. Of course every place is different. Maybe someone else can confirm?

Yes. You'll have to do it in person at your city Hall or local government building from where it was issued. I've never paid late but I had a friend who is bad with bills and did this quite often. Usually there was no penalty as long as it was no more than a few weeks late. Of course every place is different. Maybe someone else can confirm?
Thanks, I'll do that :). I had never missed one before either :/

Dis3ngag3d

Unconfirmed Member
Nice pics. I need to learn how to use a camera. I take lots of shots but rarely do I get atmospheric shots like the ones in your flicr.

Thanks for the compliments. It's a hobby and those are the ones out of hundreds of others I felt were good for sharing. Haha. I'll add more as I get to them. Things are busy at the office lately and I got back into Diablo 3 as well.

As far as improving shots my one bit of advice is... The Rule of Thirds... Learning what that is will definitely improve photos that you take. After that are other techniques and principles but the Rule of Thirds is a big one in my opinion.

urfe

Teaching can be a great job. Only issue is job security.

It gets a bad rep from people who do it and wish they weren't IMO.

In my experience getting a non teaching job has more to do with speaking ability than a test score.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Teaching can be a great job. Only issue is job security.

It gets a bad rep from people who do it and wish they weren't IMO.

In my experience getting a non teaching job has more to do with speaking ability than a test score.

actually having the jlpt score rank whatver you want to call it is far more favorable than just speaking well, granted its a part of it. but the results gives a clear indication of your actual comprehension of the languagr and what you general level of being able to reaf would be. since a lot of companies will pile on E to J, J to E work they woukd prefer someone with strong reading and writing skills over someone who just can speak well.

JulianImp

Yesterday I was walking back to my Sakura House room when I spotted a guy with a professional camera and a tripod, so I stopped to check what he was taking pictures of, and I saw a really large, yellow-ish moon that could be seen right next to the Skytree. I took several pictures with my crappy camera, but I think only one of them ended up being decent enough due to the lack of light and the objects of interest being so far away in the distance.

Today I walked through Ueno park, and spotted a few lotus blooms in there! Ened up taking a picture of one flower that was fully open, but I had to re-take the pictures several times because I had to lift the camera as high as I could over my head to get the picture, which meant I didn't even know if I was tilting the camera at the right angle when I pressed the shutter button.

My little trip to Akihabara ended up earning me ten streetpasses on my 3DS, a total of thirteen thousand steps taken, quite a bit of gaming merchandise I got from a Super Potato store (no Pokémon TCG 2, though), the Phoenix Wright Trilogy cart (which I can't play yet since I'll only be getting a JP 3DS when the New 3DS comes out) and the remaining books I needed to complete the my Haruhi Suzumiya LN collection and round out most of my Higurashi and Kokoro Connect ones. Getting most of the books for 108 yen was really great, even though I felt a bit weird putting the 360 yen copies back whenever I happened to come across the same book in the 100-yen shelves.

The thin line between JPTravelGAF and JPGAF is a bit of an issue... I dunno if I should've split this post among both or if this kind of stuff is alright in this thread.

Sage00

Once And Future Member

Probably a bit late now, but watch that knee on the way down. Use the proper downhill walking technique and take it slow - that's where people do the most damage.

Most of the Fuji paths are a piece of cake, just takes a bit of time and perseverance. Some of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen on the way up. Enjoy. :)

I'm an expert

I am far from a rights crusader. I knew from the beginning I would always be considered an outsider. I like sticking out but iI also know when it's not just country folk just being country folk. I'm not quite sure why this subtle criticism of my feelings toward general treatment of non Japanese was needed. Maybe i should've just kept that part to myself as it seems to be a sensitive subject on both sides.

By the way, I'm a bit late to the thread. What's your background like, I'm an Expert? I'm curious to know why you think the way you do.

Why I think the way I do about what?

JulianImp

You know you could have gotten more right? There's a limit of 10 in the system itself.

Oh! I guess that explains why I got just a few more than last time I went out, when I barely walked around six thousand steps... I guess I'll check my 3DS out a bit more often, then.

I don't remember if I've asked this here already, or if I asked in JPTravelGAF, but I'm still trying to know what would be the name of a bittersweet drink that's made with some kind of cucumber. I drank it back in Argentina, where it was imported from China, but I guessed it might be available in Japan, or at least have a Japanese equivalent.

Why I think the way I do about what?
I re read what I wrote and I don't even think it came out the right way. What I think I meant to ask was, why do you have so much knowledge on long stayers either stuck in the system or struggling to get out?

That's what I get trying to post on a phone. Incoherent posts. Doh!

urfe

actually having the jlpt score rank whatver you want to call it is far more favorable than just speaking well, granted its a part of it. but the results gives a clear indication of your actual comprehension of the languagr and what you general level of being able to reaf would be. since a lot of companies will pile on E to J, J to E work they woukd prefer someone with strong reading and writing skills over someone who just can speak well.

I should rephrase that. How you act in the interview and how your Japanese resume (rirekisho and shokumukeirekisho) look are more important than a test score in the experience I have had for general office work positions.

However, perhaps I'm really saying N2 is good enough if it's not a translation job.

Top Bottom