• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Saudi Arabian Female Fighter coming to KOF XIV as DLC

582yogO.jpg

The King of Fighters XIV will add a Saudi Arabia-themed fighter and a Masmak fort stage as downloadable content, SNK announced.

In September, the company Manga Productions held a social media contest in the Middle East to design a character and stage to appear in a fighting game. Over 300 entries were received from Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Iraq, the United Arab Emirates, Oman, and more, and a character and stage were chosen from among them to appear in The King of Fighters XIV.

To choose a winner, Manga Productions established a selection committee with SNK, and a winner was chosen on October 18. The selection committee consisted of 10 staff from SNK, including The King of Fighters XIV producer Yasuyuki Oda, character designer Eisuke Ogura, and art director Nobuyuki Kuroki, and three staff from Manga Productions, including CEO Essam Bukhary and COO Amr Almaddah, for a total of 13 members.

In the character category, the design of a female combatant from Najd (pictured) by Mashael Al-Barrak of Saudi Arabia was selected. And in the stage category, the design of a modern day Masmak fort in the form of an arena by Zainab Al-Lawaty of Oman was selected.

Both winners were publicly announced at the Misk Global Forum in Saudi Arabia on November 16. SNK chairman and executive director Zhihui Ge, Manga Productions president Badr Al-Azerkel, and CEO Essam Bukhary participated in the ceremony.

A release date for the new fighter and stage was not announced.

The King of Fighters XIV is available now for PlayStation 4 and PC.

https://gematsu.com/2017/11/king-fi...ter-masmak-fort-stage-dlc#gp7uZuXTDUWQCCUG.99

llien

Great.

Ironic that revealing legs in this case is more of a progress than the opposite.

I feel Arabs are quite misrepresent in games, I can't recall a character which doesn't lie between "some nameless people on the market" and "member of terrorist thug".

Is there even a single popular game with Arab protagonist (bar Prince of Persia, cough, which didn't look quite Arabic in the original PoP)

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Great.

Ironic that revealing legs in this case is more of a progress than the opposite.

I feel Arabs are quite misrepresent in games, I can't recall a character which doesn't lie between "some nameless people on the market" and "member of terrorist thug".

Is there even a single popular game with Arab protagonist (bar Prince of Persia, cough, which didn't look quite Arabic in the original PoP)

The Arab world has always been misrepresented in literature, movies, media, and art. Video games are no exception to this rule as we’re often seen portraying terrorists, enemies, or hostile beings.

In games there are games like assassins creed who represent arab character in a good way , yes hes assassin but in a good way .. ( Altair)

In general it's the media that fools everyone to believe that every arab guy is dangerous .. thats wrong in every aspect, you will find the bad and the good everywhere in the world it's not about religion or your colour it's about how you see the world and unfortunately alot of people see it without the arab cuz they " hear " that arabs are bad ..

llien

Maybe because he isn't Arab but Persian.

Oh Dear, shame on me...

In games there are games like assassins creed who represent arab character in a good way , yes hes assassin but in a good way .. ( Altair)

Thanks, surprised. My AC experience is a PSP game that I stopped playing (was too repetitive) and a movie. In both cases I had an impression assassins were Europeans.

Pejo

I'm actually amazed they're still supporting this game. Good on them. Her design looks good in that picture, but KoF is pretty ugly in-game, so we'll see.

I know it's probably not feasible, but I'd love it if KoF XV would go back to sprites.

Jezan

Is it wrong to say that she reminds me an Umbra Witch?

I mean, the leather outfit with those silver highlights and blue orbs, and those long sleeves transforming into that evil mouth.

BTW it is always a good thing, the Bayo aesthetic.

In before: "this antique obscure manga did it first"

Someone from SRK forums translated the comments about her design on this piece of concept art

eVcOmNi.jpg

Paragraph in the white box)Appearance:
We find a saudi girl dressed in a black gulf dress trimmed with silver engravings. She looks strange as she has a special power, where her dress is haunted by a genie named Halek -as in extremely black-. Halek can materialize and take shape through the cloak and then disappear.
She wears a pair of modern leather gloves and boots for protection. The boots are long so that her legs are covered when the dress is lifting during combat

She wears a hood(I think) on her head, but during powerful attacks or intense combat it temporarily falls off. In addition to this, she wears gold accessories with blue sapphires for appearances.
The dress should be loose for freedom of movement and her limbs are usually covered by the cloak during crouching and are shown during movement
(The paragraph in the black box)Concept idea
After much though I decided to shy away from the stereotypical saudi design in the sword wielding black haired saudi man* and popular designs for saudi women and decided to design the character of a modern saudi woman in an inventive way to reflect the current evolution the kingdom is currently experience with the intent to conserve the traditions of the past and the islamic identity

Here's a small snippet from KOF's lead artist Ogura Eisuke

https://twitter.com/manga_prd/status/926521855690858499

The thing I was most surprised with was the style and quality of the submissions. Personally I have a very limited understanding of Saudi Arabia, but I felt a resemblance in style and character design to the Japanese style. We received a lot of great submissions and we enjoyed seeing them all.

From Oda:

https://twitter.com/manga_prd/status/926526845184602112

For this occasion I would like to offer my greatest thanks to the Saudis character drawing contest in which a lot of Saudis came forward and so I would like to offer my thanks again. From the characters that were submitted, the femme fetal Najd(I think this is an arabic name) took first place. The uniqueness of this character couldn't have come from us Japanese, and we believe that the likes of this character would be the reasons for SNK's success in Saudia Arabia and the middle east.

And concept art of some of her moves

bymG7zN.jpg

I'm honestly curious to see how they will translate her face since is a bit jarring on the concept art

MUUjIBF.jpg

Oh, and here's the concept art for the new stage

pwyyahb.jpg

NikuNashi

Will they don't need your sorry , they're happy and alive in the other hand I feel sorry for you cuz this is not ur busines

I do feel sorry for anyone who is repressed, don't pretend that the only reason they wear it is because they want to, I am sure some do however some wear it because they are scared of repercussions.

Seems like after the Great GAF Civil War© all these junior member trolls came from every nook and cranny.

If I remember correctly, most of the silly things going on at that time were from members wetting the bed and trying to get themselves banned from Gaf. Some Junior members are idiots, so are some members, you were junior once yourself I presume? call someone up on their viewpoints sure, but why not leave junior out of it.

Verilligo

I'd say the treatment of people, female or otherwise, around the globe is everyone's business. Saudi Arabia does get an awfully bad rap that it doesn't deserve in Hollywood, but at the same time the laws against women and people of different walks of life from the "norm" are pretty heinous. I'm not sure if Saudi Arabia currently has laws requiring the wearing of the hijab in public, but I'm reasonably certain it does. Surely as someone living in Saudi Arabia, you know that it's only in relatively recent history that such restrictions on dress were made. It used to be that women in the Middle East dressed close to the same as they would in the rest of Europe or even the West.

Regardless, the character portrayed is definitely NOT wearing any kind of religiously restrictive dress. I gotta say, though... under the hood? Lady looks like Gozer. No, seriously, she actually looks like Gozer.

Shinriji

Looks too much like Kukri.

Nice initiative, but KOF14 online is dead (at least on PS4) and the last thing that it needs right now is another DLC character.

Woodchipper

In general it's the media that fools everyone to believe that every arab guy is dangerous .. thats wrong in every aspect, you will find the bad and the good everywhere in the world it's not about religion or your colour it's about how you see the world and unfortunately alot of people see it without the arab cuz they " hear " that arabs are bad ..

Big0Bear

Interesting, it's a franchise now? I wonder how they will handle money as prizes over there. Japan has some weird "gambling" laws.

On the day of finals they will charge admission and that money goes to the players. It’s can only be money from one day so the other days are free from what I understand.

I hope we see more than one character as dlc

Top Bottom