• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The story of The Alliance Alive (3DS) is by Suikoden creator Yoshitaka Murayama

Edit: We have a team list:

About The Alliance Alive (FuRyu), it really is more or less the same core team as LoL:

■ Producer / Director: Masataka Matsuura
■ Scenario: Yoshitaka Murayama
■ Game Design: Kyoji Koizumi
■ Art Director: Masayo Asano
■ Composer: Masashi Hamauzu
■ Character Design: Hirao Ryo (mangaka)
■ Development: Cattle Call

Note that Kyoji Koizumi and Masayo Asano being involved implies that Grezzo is back also. Koizuni also worked on Legend of Legacy. Both worked on Grezzo's Zelda games.

###

Huge thanks to Kid Marin in the other thread:

Part of the staff is obviously from The Legend of Legacy (director, game designer, composer):

http://gamestalk.net/post-68624/

Story by Suikoden creator Yoshitaka Murayama.

We have some details about the development crew. Among returning names from Legend of Legacy (including the same director Masataka Matsuura), we have word that the creator of Suikoden himself is behind the story of The Alliance Alive.

Here's his Wikipedia page for more details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshitaka_Murayama

The last Suikoden game he worked on was III and he left just prior to its release.

This is certainly a surprise. Thoughts?

That is surprising. I don't trust FuRyu though; they have a track record of advertising the presence of notable names on their games and then the end product ends up being garbage anyway.

UCBooties

This is the first I've heard of this game. I really liked Legend of Legacy, though I wish it could have done a bit more to encourage further playthroughs.

I've never played a Suikoden game before but I've heard good things. I'll keep an eye out for this to get localized.

Shin-chan

Legend of Legacy looked like one of the greatest RPGs in years. And then I played the demo.

Hopefully they actually let him write some story and character interaction into this title.

RedSwirl

The gameplay and developer list look interesting, but I just do not like the character designs in most JRPGs today, particularly SRPGs it seems. FuRyu's games seem to be a main offender too. I don't know, Lost Dimension might have been good but I didn't get far enough into it.

Faustek

That people are still so naive. It's adorable. Them again it will be fun to see if people will be able to spot the one line of exchange between characters that Murayama-san will be contributing.

Screw you FuRyu, seriously Fuck you for ever getting my hopes up.

Opa-Pa

Poor, poor Satomi Tadashi

Did that really end up sucking? Seriously what's with FuRyu misusing talent? Tadashi is probably the best writer Atlus ever had.

I liked Legend of Legacy for what it was, but for a game being advertised with those names I surely didn't expect an RPG with less story focus than Etrian Odyssey lmao. I expect this new one to be good but not for its writing, never again.

rhandino

Banned
Wait! Caligula is a bad game? I thought it was kind of good since the sales did not dropped like a brick on 2nd week and had like their 2nd best launch.

[PSV] Lost Dimension - 3.868
[PS3] Lost Dimension - Ranked #35
[3DS] The Legend of Legacy - 53.974
[PSV] Exstetra - 11.376
[3DS] Exstetra - Ranked #28

[PSV] Caligula - 31.243

Tiu Neo

I don't think I ever played any game from this developer, but if Murayama is working on it, well, I'll have to play.

At least it won't be as bad as what Konami is doing, I guess.

wrowa

If we're talking about Mind Zero, it's just kind of meh. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but its not like a crime against gaming or anything either.

No, we're referring to Caligula. Furyu's Persona-like written by the writer behind Persona 1 and 2.

I'd like to get a link to some impressions as well, though. Parakeetman seems to have found the game
solid enough and no one else shared their impressions in its import thread.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1238223&page=1

I never really know what to think of the stuff Furyu puts out.

Yasumi

Banned
Was that Persona-esque game by Furyu any good?
Got somewhat middling reviews on MK2, settling at a median score of 55. Positives are good character designs, writing, music, and the battle system is really different. Major complaints are that while different, the battle system can get tedious, it's easy to be overwhelmed by a strong enemy, 500 befriendable NPCs is way too much, and the camera can be butts.

By comparison, Legend of Legacy has a median score of 37.

randomkid

Lol. If they have no budget for voice, they shouldn't make cutscenes with "subtitles". That looks sooooooooo cheap.

no it doesn't, it looks like the psx rpgs we used to get with some semblance of cutscene direction. it's all these handheld rpgs with crappy static portraits yammering back and forth for ages that look cheap.

i fully support rpgs with no voice acting! so many benefits to dropping it.

duckroll

no it doesn't, it looks like the psx rpgs we used to get with some semblance of cutscene direction. it's all these handheld rpgs with crappy static portraits yammering back and forth for ages that look cheap.

i fully support rpgs with no voice acting! so many benefits to dropping it.

I'm not talking about talking heads. Those are cheap as fuck too. I'm talking about using subtitles and pretending there is voice when there isn't. That looks lame. It was lame in the PSX games that used that presentation too, never liked it. If you're not going to have voice and you want full 3D cutscene direction, do it like Vagrant Story. Best non-voiced 3D cutscenes ever.

jb1234

I'm not going to get burned on another Koizumi game, no matter how good the writing might be.

(Always good for Hamauzu to get work, though even if I wasn't thrilled with his LoL soundtrack)

K.Sabot

EWmof.gif
HAMAUZU BACK
p0QHO.gif

hongcha

No, we're referring to Caligula. Furyu's Persona-like written by the writer behind Persona 1 and 2.

I'd like to get a link to some impressions as well, though. Parakeetman seems to have found the game
solid enough and no one else shared their impressions in its import thread.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1238223&page=1

I never really know what to think of the stuff Furyu puts out.

I've read good things about Caligula from Japanese players. It's certainly not garbage-tier like Legend of Legacy.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm a bit more interested that I was in LoL, so I hope the game is at least fun.

Apparently not?

Caligula was not exactly "bad" but it wasnt "good" either. The main points of interest about the title itself was the combat system which had a lot of issues of its own due to various reasons and the music was pretty great. Artwork for the characters and character models were nice also.

The actual game overall though was quite repetitive.

Other stuff with the game itself you could tell the team from Aquria had to recycle some mechanics from Hollow Fragment to help speed things up with development. The most obvious one is the so called "dialog" sessions you have with the students in order to raise your friendship level with them.

duckroll

I'm not going to get burned on another Koizumi game, no matter how good the writing might be.

(Always good for Hamauzu to get work, though even if I wasn't thrilled with his LoL soundtrack)

Why are you blaming the guy who actually did his job and made an engaging battle system? Legend of Legacy was boring because there wasn't much to it other than battles. That's on the director.

adixon

Looks pretty good so far, definitely interested to see how the writing turns out. Liking the directed cutscene style in contrast to the talking portraits which seem to have become the convention these days. World seems a teeny bit intriguing, but not getting my hopes up too much yet.

Top Bottom