• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fallout 3 pics

Huggy

Look great, but could use some of that fancy pants real-time shadowmapping that's going round these days.

No45

Right, I'm really looking forward to this despite never having played a Fallout game before. I want to fix that in the months leading up to the release of Fallout 3.

I've searched and it seems like 'The Fallout Collection' includes both the first and the second games, which is good, but it also looks like the UK version is censored (Children removed from the game(s)) which can cause some problems. Does anyone have any experience of this? Are there any solutions in terms of patching the UK game, or should I just look to source it from the US?

Thanks. :)

EDIT: Also, should I expect any issues running on Vista?

tino

Banned
Are the female character models still look ugly as all fuck like in Oblivions? I can't tell from those screens.

No45 said:
I've searched and it seems like 'The Fallout Collection' includes both the first and the second games, which is good, but it also looks like the UK version is censored (Children removed from the game(s)) which can cause some problems. Does anyone have any experience of this? Are there any solutions in terms of patching the UK game, or should I just look to source it from the US?
I have the UK version... I never noticed any censoring but I patched it right away (would suggest one of the fan patches that fixes far more than the official ones).

No45 said:
Right, I'm really looking forward to this despite never having played a Fallout game before. I want to fix that in the months leading up to the release of Fallout 3.

Thanks. :)

EDIT: Also, should I expect any issues running on Vista?

Fallout 1

(PATCHES)
install these in order listed:

1) v1.2: http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1076
(i think the dvd collection is this already, but listed it just to be safe, plus v1.33 says to install it anyways)

2) kids patch: http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=569
(reason this is 2nd is because I "think" the 1.2 patch above has the uk fallout.exe version included, which is censored, thus by doing this in the 2nd step the fallout.exe would go back to the uncensored version + adding the missing kid graphic files)

3) v1.33: http://www.teamx.ru/eng/files/f1patch.shtml
(bottom of the page 2nd from bottom)

4) Dialog Fix: http://www.teamx.ru/eng/files/f1patch.shtml
(bottom of the page last one)

(OPTIONAL DOWNLOADS)

Fallout NPC Mod" v.3.3: http://www.teamx.ru/eng/files/f1mod.shtml
(2nd link down from top is english version, IF you install this then install the dialog fixes by nimrod right below it, afterwards)

-What it does: Ian, Katja and Tyho can gain up a levels (1 per players 4), change armor and combat tactics.
Dogmeat can be ordered to wait.

Fallout 2

(PATCH)

Killaps Final Fan Patch http://www.killap.net/fallout2/patches/unofficialFO2patch_manual_install.rar
(killaps patch also comes with a vista updated .exe and more engines fixes. also for killaps patch dont forget to remove the PATCH000.dat or whatever file that MAY be in your fallout2 directory, to see if its installed correctly, when u start fallout 2 look for this rock to be sure!)

nttdonslhis01gdu5d2.jpg

be sure to read the readmes :D

FFChris

Can't wait. For a completely non-linear game, it looks really good. People seem to forget that Gears and Uncharted are pretty linear when comparing this.

I enjoyed Oblivion, and I'm sure this will be pretty good too.

Grayman said:
Fallout was fun because of the atmosphere and freedom. The actual gameplay was fairly basic turn based 'you shoot at them, they shoot at you, after a turn or three one of you falls into a pool of their own blood or explodes into pieces'.
No, that was the combat. Fallout's gameplay was much more than the combat engine. You could be a smooth talker and talk yourself through sticky situations, concentrate on stealth to sneak by the baddies or be a doctor and leave all the fighting to your buddies.

One of the reasons I'm dreading Fallout 3 is that you can only have one NPC ally at a time, which probably means you'll have to be somewhat combat-oriented to get by (that was a major flaw in Oblivion).

Hmmph the vault looks wrong. It's supposed to be super futuristic with a retro 50s theme (ie huge computers, lots of blinking lights) Metalic and bright.

Looks like it could be underwater or in a submarine.

Maybe I'm being too picky, PLEASE BE GOOD.

MrPing1000 said:
Hmmph the vault looks wrong. It's supposed to be super futuristic with a retro 50s theme (ie huge computers, lots of blinking lights) Metalic and bright.

Looks like it could be underwater or in a submarine.

Maybe I'm being too picky, PLEASE BE GOOD.

That's a restaurant inside the Vault, there wouldn't be computers there.

antiloop

4j0s92.jpg

Maybe I just have bad eye-sight but those signs are really hard for me to read. :O

and that table is made from mud? Other than that, nice.

Ramirez

So when you say you can play this like a FPS, does that mean sorta like Bioshock, or is it shoot and maybe you'll hit or maybe not depending on your stats and dice rolling shenanigans?

Tr4nce

Wow, wasn't even interested in this game, until I saw the second screenshot which oozes loneliness. Feels a bit like I am Legend.

Ramirez said:
So when you say you can play this like a FPS, does that mean sorta like Bioshock, or is it shoot and maybe you'll hit or maybe not depending on your stats and dice rolling shenanigans?

I think its all dice rolls, kinda a weird hybrid, could it end up not FPS enough for FPS fans, and not RPG enough for RPG fans? we shall see....

FFChris

Ramirez said:

Stats and dice roll stuff I think.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
mandiller said:
Looks awesome BUT......

Fuck, banned in Australia or at least censored confirmed! :'( Makes me cry.

We should have the R18+ rating for games by then. BELIEVE.

Ramirez said:
Ah, well, I'll still give the game a shot. Looks too awesome to pass up.

Todd Howard Interview on combat:

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out
"How do we solve guns and roleplaying now?" asked Howard. "That's probably the biggest question we've had about the game."

A tussle with some of the giant ants provided the answer: V.A.T.S., Fallout 3's method of taking a traditionally turn-based game into real time. The Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System allows players to pause the game at any time and zoom in for a closer look on an enemy, selecting an individual body part to target. As you take your shots, you consume action points, which regenerate over time, harkening back to the original games' action limiting mechanic.

"We don't want to encourage twitch play," Howard said. Simply spraying bullets without entering V.A.T.S. mode and setting up careful shots consume AP quickly and may even result in a slower regeneration rate, giving an incentive for players to be more economical.

Of course, there are other reasons to want to target specific body parts. Harming one of the giant ants' antennae caused it to go berserk and attack its companions. Later one, massive hulking Super Mutants were dispatched by literally blowing up their heads with careful headshots. Their eyeballs could be seen to roll away as the only remains. "This is rated E for Everyone," joked Howard. "Violence is funny. Let's all just own up to it. Violence, when done well, is fucking hilarious."

Sadly, groin targeting has not returned for Fallout 3. The designers decided to keep the targetable areas to body parts that would have tangible effects when targeted--shooting a leg will cause the enemy to stumble, shooting out an arm might cause it to drop its gun. "You will no longer be able to punch a rat in the groin," Howard said.

You can suffer from the effects of such marksmanship on the part of your enemies--if hit in the head, your vision might go blurry; if hit in the arm, your aim will suffer. You'll have to patch yourself up with medical items or seek more professional attention.

To really go to town with V.A.T.S., players will have access to a huge number of guns--some new, some old. By finding schematics and scavenging for parts, players can also create new weapons. The Rock-it launcher, for example, fires actual rocks or other bits of debris. Then, there is the Fat Man, a personal warhead launcher that actually creates a nuclear explosion just a matter of yards away. Taking a Vault-Tec lunchbox and filling it with bottle caps and explosives creates an improvised, but deadly, shrapnel bomb.

Guns can sustain damage, or be found in a damaged state, which negatively affects their accuracy, damage, and rate of fire. You can cannibalize parts from one weapon to help repair another--after all, it is better to have one properly functioning gun than two damaged ones. Howard demonstrated the noticeable difference between a Chinese assault rifle that had been poorly maintained, and one that had been recently repaired, with the latter firing much more quickly and with a much tighter spread.

im trying to find the interview, but basically in fallout the higher skill you have with weapons (small arms, large arms, energy weapons) affected how accurate and crits you did, I dunno if in fallout 3 youll "hit, but not hurt" like in oblivion, or "hit but still miss?" like in morrowind, if your stats werent good.

mandiller said:
Fuck, banned in Australia or at least censored confirmed! :'( Makes me cry.
Irony is that it's a German site's watermark on the pics. There's no way it will release in Germany like that. :lol

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Doc Evils said:
Hmm we shall see.

I hope it isn't because of disc space

Always got to through your little troll in there. You're right, it would have to be smaller than Oblivion because of disc space...

Draft

Visually, the game's been a stunner for a while now. Whenever that last batch of scans leaked, I turned into a believer.

I've got some issues with a few of their artistic decisions, which I guess are really more related to game design than just straight visuals (Super Mutant who looks like an Uruk Hai, etc.)

I asked on the official forum about a Construction Set for this game, and no dev response yet. I wouldn't call it a forgone conclusion like with TES titles. But here's hoping it ships with a GECK :lol

So...how well do the previous games hold up? Especially for someone who's WRPG experience is the KOTOR series and 20 hours of Oblivion? I'm completely in love with the 50's post apocalyptic vibe this game gives but I don't want to miss out on anything due to not having played the series.

Clevinger

Finncognito said:
No, that was the combat. Fallout's gameplay was much more than the combat engine. You could be a smooth talker and talk yourself through sticky situations, concentrate on stealth to sneak by the baddies or be a doctor and leave all the fighting to your buddies.

One of the reasons I'm dreading Fallout 3 is that you can only have one NPC ally at a time, which probably means you'll have to be somewhat combat-oriented to get by (that was a major flaw in Oblivion).

They've said they're going lengths to make at least 3 different playthroughs completely viable for the whole game. 1. Run and gun. 2. Stealth. 3. Speech/Non-Combat.

I imagine the first two will be implemented, but the third will probably be much harder.

They were asked about stealth in an interview, and this was one of the snippets as a call-back to old fans:

PTOM (Playstation the Official Magazine): Your resume includes the “Thief” series and “Oblivion” (particularly Dark Brotherhood quests,) so you like the sneak-and-stab style of gameplay?

EP (Emil): I love the subtlety of that type of gameplay, taking a break from the frenetic action to approach a scenario more methodically. So yeah, playing the sneaking, back-stabbing type of character is very possible in “Fallout 3.” In fact, there’s a particular stealth tactic made infamous in the previous “Fallout” games, and we’re really psyched to have that in “Fallout 3.” I’ll give you a hint- it involves pockets and explosives.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
So...how well do the previous games hold up? Especially for someone who's WRPG experience is the KOTOR series and 20 hours of Oblivion? I'm completely in love with the 50's post apocalyptic vibe this game gives but I don't want to miss out on anything due to not having played the series.

For me it holds up pretty well, but that might be due to my '97 nostalgia glasses. A lot of the the things that made the game great are not affected by age though, awesome music/ambient sound, great writing, fantastic art style, entertaining combat. I'd definitely give it a shot.

Clevinger

Freedom = $1.05 said:

Pretty well. The combat is pretty tedious and non-strategic, but it's certainly better than KOTOR.

I think the 2D sprites still look pretty great, and the writing will always be enjoyable. Play the first before the second, since the first is considered a better experience by many but has some design problems that will make it hard to play after 2.

Great games that hold up very well, and every PC gamer should play them.

FrankT

{Mike} said:
Oblivion on PS3 was butter smooth, X360 can't handle as much at once, so yea, I'd say the definitive version will be PS3.

Haha, no it wasn't and considering the 360 is the lead platform here and the only one shown to date to the press I really do not see that happening at all. Quite the opposite really.

Anyhow, these are the same shots from OXM from a month or so ago. These guys are under the same publisher right?

No45

Freedom = $1.05 said:
I'm in a similar situation, although I am in love with the post apocalyptic vibe. I've just bought the first two games - all going well I'll get the first installed tonight and spend some time playing it over the next few days (My TV is broken, so no console action for me for a while). I might even create an LTTP for it. :)

Top Bottom