• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Space A Cobra
(03-17-2017, 07:13 PM)
I would happily buy a sequel. The first wasn't without its problems but I still found it to be a solid experience. Hopefully a sequel would have better load times if they're gonna go heavy on insta-death aspects again.
-MD-
(03-17-2017, 07:14 PM)

Originally Posted by Jinroh

I'm using a xbox one elite controller. I didn't know it wasn't considered to be a gamepad! And I'm glad to learn it fixes frame pacing issues.

For people who want to try to be serious 2 minutes, there are whole threads about it on the internet.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/26805...0406660849021/

It's a known issue and people saying they don't have this problem are just like people who say they don't notice it on Final Fantasy 15 or Bloodborne. Because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

Lmao, it was a suggestion to fix your camera stuttering. Why are you so upset?
Akronis
(03-17-2017, 07:15 PM)

It runs like dog shit. Forced borderless fullscreen and insane framepacing even at 60 fps. The camera movements constantly stutter and the game never feels smooth.

I don't really consider that running great.

Last time I played it I was running it well above 100fps on average. Framepacing seemed OK too.
HeisenbergWW62
(03-17-2017, 07:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Lord of Castamere

Sci-fi game, called Starfield, developed by Bethesda Game Studios. From their statements, Bethesda has ramped up enough to allow multiple games in production, which wasn't possible before. Could be released this year, depending on how long it's actually been in development, but the rumors have been around since 2014, so it's certainty plausible we could see release this year. Not much more is known.

Oh right I've seen that name thrown around before. Would be hype, not gonna get my hopes up
Curufinwe
(03-17-2017, 07:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Autoignition

I literally never encountered a problem. \_(ツ)_/

Some copies of the game were botched products, though. Constant crashes and performance problems on some discs, whereas my PS4 copy never crashed once, nor did it ever stutter or freeze, not even on day one. Just lucky I guess.

You didn't get a rare copy of the game with no frame rate issues. It doesn't work like that.
Jinroh
(03-17-2017, 07:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Akronis

Last time I played it I was running it well above 100fps on average. Framepacing seemed OK too.

But that's the point, the framerate has nothing to do with framepacing. That's the problem. A high framerate is pointless if the game constantly stutters. And that's a problem japanese developers tend to never address.

I run the game with a GTX 1080, so clearly it's not hardware related. The game just runs like shit on both consoles and PC.
Autoignition
(03-17-2017, 07:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Curufinwe

You didn't get a rare copy of the game with no frame rate issues. It doesn't work like that.

Don't remember citing frame rate issues. Crashing and freezing.

My copy still has frame rate drops, but they're few and far between. Not nearly the kind of game-breaking experience that some people in this thread claim.
Akronis
(03-17-2017, 07:22 PM)

But that's the point, the framerate has nothing to do with framepacing. That's the problem. A high framerate is pointless if the game constantly stutters. And that's a problem japanese developers tend to never address.

I run the game with a GTX 1080, so clearly it's not hardware related. The game just runs like shit on both consoles and PC.

I know what framepacing is. Locking with RTSS, I had no stuttering whatsoever.
CannonFodder52
(03-17-2017, 07:22 PM)
Oh man, I'd love to play a new Evil Within
massucci
Banned
(03-17-2017, 07:23 PM)

Don't remember citing frame rate issues. Crashing and freezing.

My copy still has frame rate drops, but they're few and far between. Not nearly the kind of game-breaking experience that some people in this thread claim.

Or probably you can't spot fps issues. Like I said there are a bunch of video analysis on the net who prove it. You can check with your eyes.
Terareflection
Most issues with the game were fixed with the latest patch, the game was made easier in the casual difficulty and the black bars were removed.

But yeah, the game still isn't great performance wise.

Still I look forward to a sequel, I agree the game has more story potential than RE RN.
digita1alchemy
I really want Mikami to make a new action game, but I guess I'll take this.

Doesn't the original run way better now on the Pro in boost mode? I may pick it up again if so.
Jinroh
(03-17-2017, 07:28 PM)

I know what framepacing is. Locking with RTSS, I had no stuttering whatsoever.

I read somewhere it's a solution yes. Also apparently disabling v-sync with a launch command. But come on, I shouldn't have to read various forum discussions to try to fix an AAA game more than two year after its release, it's beyond inexcusable.

That's the kind of thing that turns some people off from playing on PC and I understand them.
How About No
Banned
(03-17-2017, 07:31 PM)
Nice.

Please be way gooder than the first
Akronis
(03-17-2017, 07:32 PM)

I read somewhere it's a solution yes. Also apparently disabling v-sync with a launch command. But come on, I shouldn't have to read various forum discussions to try to fix an AAA game more than two year after its release, it's beyond inexcusable.

That's the kind of thing that turns some people off from playing on PC and I understand them.

Then start buying games on consoles. At least we have fixes on PC.

I agree that games shouldn't release broken, but I would much rather have options to fix them myself than rely on shitty developers.
Sora the Cat
(03-17-2017, 07:33 PM)
Alright, this is an amazing reason to play the first one. It's been in my backlog for months now.
ianpm31
Banned
(03-17-2017, 07:35 PM)
Day 1 for me. The first game had it's flaws but I definitely enjoyed it. I know with the second go around Mikami can make it even better. Plus I heard the sequel will use unreal instead of that crappy id tech5 engine
JayEH
(03-17-2017, 07:37 PM)

Originally Posted by digita1alchemy

I really want Mikami to make a new action game, but I guess I'll take this.

Doesn't the original run way better now on the Pro in boost mode? I may pick it up again if so.

Spiritual successor to vanquish pls. He's among the best in the business when it comes to tps as well as horror.
sjay1994
(03-17-2017, 07:49 PM)
Only way I'd ever even think about looking at this game is if they dump the trash tier ID Tech engine.

Use unreal or something, because holy fuck Id Tech is actual trash.
Neff
myco666

Originally Posted by massucci

O.O no it's not. I loved the game (though never finished) but it's far from pretty constant 30 fps. That's not too far distant to the JC3 fps mess.

The last patches just give the option of the full screen setting. Performance has never been fixed. You can check the last DF video with the boost mode comparison. Fps is absymal.

Just looked at the newest DF video with boost mode comparison. Looked pretty constant 30fps to me. As I said the early chapters have rough drops like seen in the footage which is from chapter 3 but the footage from chapter 6 is pretty much constant 30 with drops to 28. From what I remember chapters 1-4 are the worst running ones but otherwise it is totally acceptable performance and far from abysmal.
Jinroh
(03-17-2017, 07:53 PM)

Then start buying games on consoles.

I have nearly all consoles from the Atari 2600, Game.com, Playdia and others up until the Switch and have hundreds of physical games. And I also happen to have a copy of Psycho Break on PS4 in its beautiful steelbook.

It just doesn't excuse anything.
KyleCross
(03-17-2017, 07:55 PM)
This is bad news. Tango and Mikami should've moved on.
Akronis
(03-17-2017, 07:58 PM)

I have nearly all consoles from the Atari 2600, Game.com, Playdia and others up until the Switch and have hundreds of physical games. And I also happen to have a copy of Psycho Break on PS4 in its beautiful steelbook.

It just doesn't excuse anything.

I said they shouldn't release broken in the second line of my post. PC gaming can have some extra work to get a game running optimally. It's just the way it is.

Western devs it's usually not as big of a problem, but Japanese devs just don't give PC much effort.
Glass Rebel
(03-17-2017, 08:04 PM)
Fantastic news. The first one was great if not without its flaws. I'll be there day 1 for a sequel.
Soul of the Beast
(03-17-2017, 08:05 PM)
OH MY GOD!
No way! No fucking way!

Despite the shitty linear level design I still really liked the first game, it's totally one of the best game of 2014 (noted that I have not played Bayo 2).

It's such a shame that The Evil Within's level design is so linear and straight forward, even Rsident Evil 5 had a stronger level design. (Everytime I say that I want to shoot myself.)

Please learn from your mistake and continue making more games Shinji, the world needs you!.
Last edited by Soul of the Beast; 03-17-2017 at 08:10 PM.
tootie923
(03-17-2017, 08:14 PM)
This was one of my favorite games of 2014. I wouldn't mind Juli Kidman as the main protagonist and have them ditch Sebastian, or relegate him to DLC.
Vic_Viper
(03-17-2017, 08:18 PM)
Is Shinji Mikami still with this studio?

The first Evil Within is perfect for people looking for that Resi4 experiance in a modern style game. Playing on PC without the borders and 60fps is soo much better than when it first released, so if you skipped it originally I highly recommend checking it out now!
Plumpbiscuit
(03-17-2017, 08:23 PM)
If they tone down the dudebro shooting, focus on the somewhat cool boss fights and exploration and Sebastian again as the protagonist, it could be fairly decent.
Castef
Mambar
(03-17-2017, 08:31 PM)
UGH! No, thanks.

One of the worst survival horror games in recent years, completely unrespectuful of the player's time.
Autoignition
(03-17-2017, 08:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Plumpbiscuit

If they tone down the dudebro shooting, focus on the somewhat cool boss fights and exploration and Sebastian again as the protagonist, it could be fairly decent.

What is "dudebro shooting"?
Sotha_Sil
(03-17-2017, 08:53 PM)
Please be running on Id Tech 6 (DOOM) and not another weird modification of Id Tech 5 (Evil Within, Dishonored 2).
Plumpbiscuit
(03-17-2017, 08:54 PM)

What is "dudebro shooting"?

Over the shoulder mindless headshooting to the effect of incontextualised killing for "teh lolz".
Autoignition
(03-17-2017, 08:55 PM)

Over the shoulder mindless headshooting to the effect of incontextualised killing for "teh lolz".

Mikami invented it, so my money's on "probably not" re: getting rid of it.
GrayChild
(03-17-2017, 08:55 PM)
Awesome news, the first game was my GOTY 2014...

... and as I said, it was better than RE4. Expecting this one to be an absolute masterpiece now that they aren't bound with the horrible idTech5.
Neptonic
(03-17-2017, 08:56 PM)
Psycho Break is a WAYYYYY cooler name
FLD
(03-17-2017, 08:58 PM)
Niiiiice. It wasn't perfect but I thoroughly enjoyed The Evil Within and was really hoping for a sequel. Especially nice to see the series continue now that mainline Resident Evil is (presumably) going in a somewhat different direction.
Jawmuncher
(03-17-2017, 09:06 PM)
Everything was dudebro.
By that definition so was RE7 even with the shift first person. You get a gun, and what are you doing? Shorting molded in the head.
myco666
(03-17-2017, 09:08 PM)

For teh lolz? I don't get this post.
Fancy Clown
(03-17-2017, 09:09 PM)

I don't think "teh lolz" is the point of combat in a horror action game
Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
(03-17-2017, 09:10 PM)

I think your definition of 'dudebro shooter' is off, while I can see the subjectivity of the phrase, TEW doesn't really have dudebro elements even later in the game when it gets more action focused for a couple chapters. "Dudebro" was originally coined for big dumb action shooting games and multiplayer shooters. Shooting in TEW has way too much high-stakes for failure and often precision to really fall into the "Dudebro" category, most casual gamers into shooting who played it would actually be pretty pissed off by TEW shooting because it's not dumbed down enough or easy to pull off. You have limited ammo and can't just shoot mindlessly, and even when you have ammo you can't shoot mindlessly due to high stakes and how enemies react to being shot. Even if you shoot an enemy in the head in TEW, this game has some of the most precise headshot systems I've seen since it only works if you shoot them squarely in the brain. Miss the shot and enemies will still keep coming at you.

^In fact, it's due to this system that TEW somewhat prevented headshots from being the end-all of its combat, because compared to almost any other shooter TEW has very hard to pull off headshots, enemies lurch around, change speeds, and shooting them in the head simply isn't good enough, you have to be precise or else you shoot off their jaw or a hole in side of their head or a hole in the middle of their face, etc. It often becomes worthwhile to shoot a limb to stun them so you can get a clearer shot at the head or to immobilize them.

Add to that most enemies can kill you pretty quickly in TEW for fucking up shots (many enemies are about as fast as you and punish you quickly if you're not be careful), many enemies you think you may have defeated may pretend to be dead to try to sneak attack you unless you use finite match resources, and there be a surprising amount of strategy you can put into the combat (from setting up traps, working with your environment, using matches at the perfect time to set enemies on fire, and other methods), and how you upgrade Sebastian, along with most enemies not shooting you back and there not being a cover system in the game.

IE, shooting gameplay =/= dudebro shooter, and behind the shoulder is a camera perspective, not all behind the shoulder shooting are dudebro. The stereotype was done by Gears of War, which had a behind-the-shoulder camera yes. But GOW didn't invent the camera angle, and it's been supplied in a variety of types of games, not all of which are 'dudebro'. Dudebro was coined for games that made shooting simplified for a more casual gaming audience with an easy to pull off bombastic action set-up. Not only is The Evil Within's combat not particularly easy, it also is very rarely bombastic in any way.
Last edited by Dusk Golem; 03-17-2017 at 09:30 PM.
gelf
(03-17-2017, 09:15 PM)
Great news. I loved the original. It's still in my top 10 games of this gen.
teokrazia
(03-17-2017, 09:17 PM)
Amazing news.
I've recently played the first one and I loved it.
Granjinha
(03-17-2017, 09:18 PM)
the evil within sucks

but it has potential to turn into something cool, so i'm interested
SargerusBR
I love Pokken!
(03-17-2017, 09:19 PM)

So every TPS is a dudebro shooter?
Opus Angelorum
(03-17-2017, 09:20 PM)
The Evil Within was my most disappointing game last game, had all the ingredients for a classic but on console at least it was an absolute mess.

The only horror I experienced was the frame-rate and all-round clunky experience.
SargerusBR
I love Pokken!
(03-17-2017, 09:24 PM)
I hope they switch to another engine. id tech 5 was such a mess.
JayEH
(03-17-2017, 09:27 PM)
The Dude Bro Within.
Wesley-Sigma
(03-17-2017, 09:32 PM)
Hyped.

Though I figured it would happen. If past leaks are to go by, this game is being developed on Unreal Engine 4.
msdstc
Incredibly Naive
(03-17-2017, 09:32 PM)
Fucking amazing first game... But if Mikami not involved what's the point?