• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valahart

TheBitBlock is still at it...

josh_b.png

And apparently, all of us on Gaf are a moronic minority

josh_A.png

Aaaand unsubscribed. Thanks for opening my eyes.

I honestly find this pretty sad, to be honest.
Of course, I don't agree with anything that JonTron has said in his first video but in my opinion Playtonic could have been handling the situation in a different way.
Maybe with an official statement saying that they weren't ok with JonTron opinion, for example.

That's what they did... annd they removed the voice because they don't want to be associated with him...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Hey guys I just wanted to drop in here and say that I don't know what this Jon guy said and I don't want to watch any videos of the debate or on the subject or read over transcripts or even summaries of what was said and am woefully ignorant on how free speech actually works from a legal perspective in the U.S. let alone the U.K. and I claim to have no political or emotional stake in the discussion but I think it's kind of scary that this guy was kicked from this project just for having an opinion. This seems like a real first amendment issue that this guy can't just have an opinion and not lose his job over it. Think about the damage this kind of censorship does to art and free speech. I think the answer is somewhere in the middle because being racist is bad but being too not racist is just as bad.

I wasn't enjoying this, but that last line is pure gold. Bravo.

JKRMA

Banned
So to the people defending JonTron, if I call him a fat ugly fuck who has probably never been called to bed by anyone other than his mom, that is okay right because it is just my opinion man and I am using my right to free speech(although I don't live in the US).

Sorry, on topic, good on them and taking a stand. I now look forward to playing there game due to their integrity.

I would have bought it regardless but i feel better knowing hes no longer a part of it,
Good on playtonic, even if its just gibberish, he shouldnt have a platform at all.

Thank you Playtonic. I've been looking forward to the game and finding out this horrible person was in it would have spoiled it for me. I'm glad he's out. I'm also equally glad his dumbdumb followers are upset about it. Boo bloody hoo, ya knobbers!

Acerac

Banned
A little bothered by the headlines I see with "controversial" or "right-wing" views when full blown racism was coming out of Jon's mouth. Let's not downplay this gaming media :/

Good on Platonic though :)
There is a reason this shit is as pervasive as it is, too few companies are willing to call it out for what it is.

Racists buy sneakers too, I guess?

Loving all the wonderful people fighting to keep politics in a game now that those politics are about excluding minorities from society even if that means killing them. They only want politics out of games if the political opinions have something to do with greater representation of minorities in games. I really hate how prevalent this is in games culture, but it explains so much of what's wrong with the industry.

JonTron voicing a character in a game is not politics at all. But you're right that if the shoe was on the other foot and he was voicing his opinion in the game somehow, they'd probably defend it.

Oh yes, because obviously just having a guy do voices for your game means you endorse all of their views. Christ, the lengths companies think they need to go to make everybody "comfortable".

How about we make everyone comfortable except bigots? That works just fine.

Hey guys I just wanted to drop in here and say that I don't know what this Jon guy said and I don't want to watch any videos of the debate or on the subject or read over transcripts or even summaries of what was said and am woefully ignorant on how free speech actually works from a legal perspective in the U.S. let alone the U.K. and I claim to have no political or emotional stake in the discussion but I think it's kind of scary that this guy was kicked from this project just for having an opinion. This seems like a real first amendment issue that this guy can't just have an opinion and not lose his job over it. Think about the damage this kind of censorship does to art and free speech. I think the answer is somewhere in the middle because being racist is bad but being too not racist is just as bad.
edit: got me, bugger it all

Good on Playtonic. I was a fan of Jon's but after those racist remarks, not anymore. Its really a shame, he did do great work on his videos. Well... Some of them.

Copper

Outing this kind of stuff is important, especially in the current climate where racists have been emboldened. I'm glad they made a point of announcing it.

You might be right. All this controversy is giving YL a lot more attention because of it. It will be interesting to see if this negatively or positively effects sales.

Juraash

I realize this is a company and not another individual, but it's really nice to see someone come out and make a firm statement against Jon's shit.

All these YouTube folks seemed to dance around the issue and not just condemn him outright.

Recently I had decided I wanted to get this game even though I didn't really play the Banjo games. With this action I'm more than happy to support them. If I didn't already have an order in, I'd be doing so now.

jholmes

TheBitBlock is still at it...

josh_b.png

And apparently, all of us on Gaf are a moronic minority

josh_A.png

Most people are not in favour of "cleansing" any gene pool, thanks.

And I have disagreed with a great number of people on a great number of issues on this board and I think we're all pretty well in favour of the Yooka-Laylee move which says to me a) this is not just some GAF clique complaining, and b) yeah apparently racism just isn't as popular as these tweets would have you believe?

As someone who previously didn't really care for this game, I'm definitely interested now. Good on them.

I don't really get this though, it's the same game and at best you're rewarding them for seeking this guy out in the first place.

NandoGip

We should organize a campaign to purchase this game to put our money where our mouth is.I'm going to buy even though I had no intention to

Hey, if they actually lose a sizeable amount of kickstarter cash, I'm sure we could get a fundraiser to show that people who hold toxic opinions don't actually have that much sway.

TheJoRu

There's a lot of things that makes me happy seeing a statement like this, but one of the biggest things is just how professional it is. It's so well-written. There's strength and power in the denouncement of JonTron's opinions and when stating their own, but also class in how it addresses the background as to why they worked with him in the first place, and then humility as it acknowledges that there will be no ideal outcome here and apologizes for that.

For someone like me who works a lot with PR and values professionalism and class extremely highly stuff like this is beauty, lol. In a world of Trump and shouty, unmannered YouTubers it's very refreshing...how depressing, really.

Copper

Most people are not in favour of "cleansing" any gene pool, thanks.

And I have disagreed with a great number of people on a great number of issues on this board and I think we're all pretty well in favour of the Yooka-Laylee move which says to me a) this is not just some GAF clique complaining, and b) yeah apparently racism just isn't as popular as these tweets would have you believe?

I don't really get this though, it's the same game and at best you're rewarding them for seeking this guy out in the first place.

It's a shame it has come to this type of thing:

9b3f7b92ed3dd4d5e69dd0eab17c0205.png

I just hope it doesn't hurt the sales. I know I'll still be buying regardless.

rpmurphy

I'm old; is this Josh guy popular?
Not really, he's more of a Wii-era relic since he built up a following around mostly that.

Being an extremely entitled manchild with a black heart, vitriol in his tongue, and just being an all-around jerk all the time online, he eventually ended up on the bad list of Nintendo.

"Being too not racist is just as bad." It's honestly unfathomable how someone can actually say this but apparently this is the age we live in now.
I'm pretty sure the post was a joke.

I doubt it will hurt sales, you're just seeing a small group of loud and butthurt assholes.

Bahorel

Hey, if they actually lose a sizeable amount of kickstarter cash, I'm sure people would donate to a fundraiser to show that people who hold toxic opinions don't actually have that much sway.

I don't think they can lose the money at this point, can they? Hasn't it already been charged? If product codes are delivered can they actually ask for a refund?

Oriel

Another YouTube shithead with white supremacist tendencies (even though he's Iranian-Hungarian. What a combo!). Christ, I hate how gaming is so riddled with these alt-right cancerous tumours who make me feel ashamed to pick up a controller.

jwhit28

I love how questioning another human's right to exist and walk among you is "just politics". He isn't talking taxes, he is talking about his disgust at non-Europeans dirtying the American gene pool.

AHA-Lambda

EDIT: damn it's satire xD

I don't think they can lose the money at this point, can they? Hasn't it already been charged? If product codes are delivered can they actually ask for a refund?

I dunno, I see many dozens of tweets talking about refunding Kickstarter. Have no idea if that is possible. It shouldn't be though.

This really depresses me. You know what, I should buy this game it went from "I should wait until I get the means to play it to" to "Buy it soon and wait to play it later"

Bahorel

So white supremacy counts as diversity now?

Also I was on the fence about whether I needed another game this spring but they definitely have my money now.

This comment is now my king.

Anung

Un Rama
JonTron must be running what he says by a lawyer or third party as his post about this on Twitter seemed reasonable. Not what I expect from him at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom