• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

Arde5643

I asked Chris about this in one of the Open beta weekends while he was in Global chat and he said it won't be happening as the Armor iteself includes pants. I wish the game had a pants item slot too :(

If they do, I wonder if someone will make a Solomon Grundy pants.

Holy shit at that attack speed build, that's my jam right there. Hopefully I can make a more practical one, though. It seems they still need to make physical damage stronger.

Someone here made one like it. Had a lot of elemental damage to compensate and work fairly well against normal mobs, but not bosses.

I think it was syko de4d?

That's probably what I'm gonna try with my ranger/shadow first. Slightly lower attack speed with as much extra elemental as I can afford.

Holy shit at that attack speed build, that's my jam right there. Hopefully I can make a more practical one, though. It seems they still need to make physical damage stronger.

Someone here made one like it. Had a lot of elemental damage to compensate and work fairly well against normal mobs, but not bosses.

I think it was syko de4d?

I'm making a frenzy iceshot duelist build for hardcore. Though 1st day i'm going to level a templar for gems and beat act 3 so I don't have any surprises for my duelist.

neoism

so guys i've watched kripps stream for awhile and i am interested in this game but still like d3... was wondering about the controls... I have a 13 button mouse and was wondering if it was possible to play with just the mouse or is the KB needed...

so guys i've watched kripps stream for awhile and i am interested in this game but still like d3... was wondering about the controls... I have a 13 button mouse and was wondering if it was possible to play with just the mouse or is the KB needed...

If your mouse software lets you customise the buttons, then yes, you can bind the QWERT and UI keys to mouse buttons.

You can also do other clever things like have macros - I have my thumb button programmed to type /itemlevel in chat so I can quickly see the ilvl of an item.

Altazor

so I've been playing the closed beta for hours - it's really fucking addictive! Loving the serious atmosphere/graphics (something I felt was lacking in D3) yet some animations are, um, not as good as the rest of the game, but that's something minor.

Also, I was killed like 4 times by
a gang of blood apes and a couple of ape shamans or whatever they're called
right at the start of Act 2. Shit, they were relentless and vicious!

When does it open up? I've found Act 2 much more enjoyable than A1 (note that I am a Bronze Supporter, so I'm not just trolling), but I still am kind of blah about my skills. Thinking that my Witch will be using Freezing Pulse throughout her 80 levels is making me a little unenthusiastic about leveling. Sure, it'll do more damage, but it's the same animation. =|

When does stuff start to vary and get weird?

Yeah, is this a problem most of POE has? I really hated that about the Torchlight games; you get your best skill absurdly early on, and after you do there's just no point in using anything else, which makes me lose interest because there's nothing to look forward to :(

Maybe it's my fault that I rolled vanquisher in T1 and embermage in T2, but when I got explosive shot in the former and prismatic bolt in the latter, it was like... welp guess that's all I'm doing for the next however many hours.

You usually do get your main attack skill very early, but once you get to the higher difficulties you'll start to get awesome support skills, auras, totems, summons, etc that you can use in addition to your attack skills.

Hm, that might be alright, if you have more shit to do than just spam one attack.

I always liked how Diablo 2 handled it: with Enigma all characters would be able to teleport, so there was always that to do, but you also always had at least two main attacks for almost every character, other than like a hammerdin or something. So even back in 1.09, a sorceress or something would always be blasting frozen orb and nova, while juggling thunderstorm and energy shield and teleport and stuff.

Plus the actual main damaging attacks themselves were usually one of the final skills you could reach. Whirlwind, frozen orb, meteor, etc., with their spell animations, their large scale, and all that good shit always felt far better than using fireball or something as your main spell. Probably just a psychological thing, but it was important to me :(

Got a nice message from a pathofexile.com forum member about this OT who gave me his beta keys to hand out!

Fastest fingers wins!

SHGMP-NHLWM-JCJ84-PS96L

SHHWW-5CB7U-GRVHK-TDQB8

SH8MR-MG7A8-SS7RX-SNC2C

SHPBF-DVUHJ-7W6GB-6GYVS

SH8AA-4N665-7EXYD-LUGLA

neoism

If your mouse software lets you customise the buttons, then yes, you can bind the QWERT and UI keys to mouse buttons.

You can also do other clever things like have macros - I have my thumb button programmed to type /itemlevel in chat so I can quickly see the ilvl of an item.

awesome I only use my mouse for d3 so good will play a little after the new patch :D

injurai

Banned
Got a nice message from a pathofexile.com forum member about this OT who gave me his beta keys to hand out!

Fastest fingers wins!

SHGMP-NHLWM-JCJ84-PS96L

SHHWW-5CB7U-GRVHK-TDQB8

SH8MR-MG7A8-SS7RX-SNC2C

SHPBF-DVUHJ-7W6GB-6GYVS

SH8AA-4N665-7EXYD-LUGLA

awesome ty (nabbed the 4th one down)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Doesn't a hardcore character automatically become a softcore character upon death? That seems to reduce the penalty down to nearly nothing.

Perkel

Banned
Doesn't a hardcore character automatically become a softcore character upon death? That seems to reduce the penalty down to nearly nothing.

Fear of mingling with softcore noobs ;)

When someone die in default league people write RIP
When someone die in hardcore league people write RID. Rest in Default

Plus the hardcore character's items that he's currently holding are transferred to softcore, so you would need to have a really good stash to jump start a new character.

You can also use that as a way of transferring items gotten in HC to SC though, for example stuff you would get in a race, both from playing and the prizes.

Anyone playing this on a laptop? , hows the performance from Intel HD 4000 and/or a GT650M ?
I'm playing it with HD3000/GT420M and it runs smooth as silk (apart from literally one area of the game) so you should be absolutely fine.

I've just finished with the game until OB. Chucked away a huge amount of orbs of varying rarity to a complete and utter stranger and wished him luck. So hyped for this game.

The only thing I wish they'd change about it is to ban certain words in chat (or even just have a general filter for certain words). Every single time I'm in the game it seems to be a breeding ground for moronic half-wits who seem to think that the only word in the English dictionary is the word faggot. That's something I reckon will get so much worse upon release, the community. It's already pretty horrible, I shudder to think what will happen when the player base increases 100-fold and the chan-folk and people from the likes of OnRPG get a hold of it.

Emitan

Been a huge fan of the game and have been in the closed beta for ages.

Have they ever announced if it's coming to OSX?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Good morning :3
The Open Beta launch trailer is now uploaded on the Path of Exile YouTube account, with a 1080p option. I've updated the link in the OP.

http://youtu.be/NDFO4E5OKSE
I've watched the 480p trailer like 20 times... now I need to watch this version at least another 20 times! Thanks for the link~

A true hardcore player will delete their newly default league char instead of continuing on with it.

No announcement, but players have made an unofficial WINE port. I don't know how difficult it is to get running but it seems pretty straightforward.

Not hard at all to get running and works pretty well. The only issue I have is the font rendering of in-game chat is a bit off, but not horrible.

Tideas

Banned
so is open beta the final stage releaes of the game? Or will they do a v1.0 release, and delete all open beta info?

spirity

They'll do a 1.0 release, but there won't be a wipe.

Well, there still might be a wipe after OB. If things go really wrong and its necessary. But GGG have said a post-OB wipe would be a last resort at solving an extremely unlikely event. Its possible, because you never say never. Its just not a foreseeable outcome. Emergency patches, rollbacks, there's a lot of things they can put into play to fix potentially damaging cirmumstances before a complete wipe becomes a necessity.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Wonderful OT, very well done.

This game has come a long way. I remember arguing with KKRT00 back before Diablo III released about how this game wouldn't stand a chance against Blizzard. Now, I have to say that PoE looks to be incredibly awesome, while D3 has left me so very wanting. Hell, the skill tree alone in PoE looks like it's going to be tons of fun to play around with. I'm really looking forward to playing this one now. Hopefully it can finally claim that long sought after crown of the great Diablo II.

Because Diablo III sure isn't going to take that crown. Maybe someday, but not now.

Oh, and KKRT00, I would like to officially apologize to you here in front of everyone. I don't know if PoE will be better than D3, but it sure as hell looks like it's going to be, and I for one will be playing it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mengy, regarding that apology, I've also wanted to do one for awhile now. I'll post it later on.

Top Bottom