• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Danganronpa V3 Confirmed for 2016, Trailer Pics, Danganronpa 3 Anime (SPOILERS)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Changing format entirely for the conclusion actually seems worse to me than just releasing the new game and having it turn out to be entirely separate from the existing world.

I get that. I'm a bit disappointed myself but I suppose it's better than nothing. orz

Nightbird

I doubt there will be a Danganronpa 2 anime adaptation anytime soon, if not ever. That trailer already goofs on that possibility with the "2" shattering into Danganronpa 3. And Kodaka has stated he doesn't think a DR2 anime would work.

It really wouldn't

The entire thing is supposed to be a metajoke about how everything was just a game. A game in a game basically.
that kinda would get lost in a anime

Shizuka

mainvisual1.jpg

3k0Onxk.gif

IzzyF3

I think it just wasn't possible to have all the first game's survivors come back as main characters unless they do an anime. The game relies on full mystery between the characters and the mastermind, etc etc, so it makes sense with the way they are doing it. Without trying to completely retell a game story, I think the anime will be great! Having played all 3 games, I'm certainly invested. Just need to read the novels now.

Zareka

Oh man I don't like that the story is being concluded with an anime. Wasn't the first anime garbage? I was really hoping for a game, even if it didn't adhere to the usual Danganronpa structure.

V3 looks cool and all, but man. Torn on this. Worried.

Lusankya

Oh man I don't like that the story is being concluded with an anime. Wasn't the first anime garbage?

The first anime was garbage, because it was an adaptation of a video game and squeezed into too few episodes. The new story is specifically developed for an anime format, so there should be no issue at all.

Zareka

The first anime was garbage, because it was an adaptation of a video game and squeezed into too few episodes. The new story is specifically developed for an anime format, so there should be no issue at all.
Mmm, fair enough. I just hope it all goes well. It seems really strange to me to build the story of 2-3 (haven't finished AE yet) games and then suddenly think "WHELP, gonna need an anime". As long as it was planned, sure, but I don't feel great about it.

On other note, this not being a game just made my chances of seeing it in English within a reasonable timeframe nosedive. Uuuuuugh. That and Funimation changed almost all the cast for the first one. Yay!

FluxWaveZ

Mmm, fair enough. I just hope it all goes well. It seems really strange to me to build the story of 2-3 (haven't finished AE yet) games and then suddenly think "WHELP, gonna need an anime". As long as it was planned, sure, but I don't feel great about it.

Again, Kodaka was getting burned out:
Kodaka spoke about how he was kind of burned out after the first two games and how it took writing the decidedly non-mystery DR:AE to get him ready to go back to mysteries again. I wouldn't be surprised if the sentiment amongst him/the team was that they wanted to go all-new if they were going to do another mystery game, which limited how they could wrap up the DR1/DR2 plots.
There was never going to be a Danganronpa 3 as a straight up sequel to the events of DR1 and DR2. They clearly wanted to refresh things with V3 not just for the sake of the audience, but also for the sake of their own creativity and where they wanted to go with the series. Thinking like that, there possibly wouldn't even be a "Danganronpa 3" in any form, but it turns out that's actually a thing.

This way, they can do what they wanted with a new game by making it "New," while also satisfying fans of the existing storyline by making a conclusion that can have plenty of references to DR1/DR2/DR:AE/DR0 without bogging down the focus of the project's story with references and cameos because Danganronpa 3 seems to be all about that.

Wait, its a continuation of the old anime (ive heard for people they changed various ending things and its crap) or a continuation of DR2, just in anime form (and the game writters writting it also), but nothing to do with the first anime?

It would be pretty stupid if its the first option because no one asked for that.

EDIT

And thats the answer I was looking for, thanks.

There was never going to be a Danganronpa 3 as a straight up sequel to the events of DR1 and DR2. They clearly wanted to refresh things with V3 not just for the sake of the audience, but also for the sake of their own creativity and where they wanted to go with the series. Thinking like that, there possibly wouldn't even be a "Danganronpa 3" in any form, but it turns out that's actually a thing.

This way, they can do what they wanted with a new game by making it "New," while also satisfying fans of the existing storyline by making a conclusion that can have plenty of references to DR1/DR2/DR:AE/DR0 without bogging down the focus of the project's story with references and cameos because Danganronpa 3 seems to be all about that.

Do you really know if thats true, or its just your own conclussion of bits you read of some interviews here and there. Like who knows, maybe all this is a major red herring and both stories, although sperate (where a new person could understand it without knowing previous games) could tie in in some form or another.
I say this because it reminds me a lot of Sakurai followers treating anything he said as rules and the truth, when even he changed of mind some time later of things he said or just did the contrary for trolling.
Im not saying what you say isnt plausible, but th way you write it now its like its a fact.

kewlmyc

So it's possible that from here on out, the Danganronpa games will be treated like FF and SMT games where numbered entries aren't really direct sequels and are their own standalone games, with only a few common elements carried over from game to game (like Monokuma and a death game)? I would actually like that. It'll prevent the storyline from getting convoluted.

FluxWaveZ

Do you really know if thats true, or its just your own conclussion of bits you read of some interviews here and there. Like who knows, maybe all this is a major red herring and both stories, although sperate (where a new person could understand it without knowing previous games) could tie in in some form or another.
I say this because it reminds me a lot of Sakurai followers treating anything he said as rules and the truth, when even he changed of mind some time later of things he said or just did the contrary for trolling.
Im not saying what you say isnt plausible, but th way you write it now its like its a fact.

It's a logical assumption based on the fact the writer himself said he was getting burned out and became lost in terms of where to go with the Danganronpa story, hence the creation of Danganronpa: Another Episode.

I think those sticking to this "red herring" possibility are being less sensible than those who are actually discussing what the developers have stated.

Edit: But I never said that DR3 and V3 wouldn't tie into each other. They very well could, but not in a way that encroaches on V3's territory as a standalone game.

Bladenic

Kinda sucks they're skipping 2 anime but...

YAS EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS NEWS IS AMAZING

Not watching any trailers tho. Want as few spoilers as possible. Those 3 characters are enough for me for VR3. But the cyborg dude looks stupid AF

FluxWaveZ

So it's possible that from here on out, the Danganronpa games will be treated like FF and SMT games where numbered entries aren't really direct sequels and are their own standalone games, with only a few common elements carried over from game to game (like Monokuma and a death game)? I would actually like that. It'll prevent the storyline from getting convoluted.

Maybe, but I also don't see why this means the games couldn't be separated into arcs.

Ace Attorney had the first trilogy, which was its own arc. Then there was a big time skip, creating a kind of arc between AA4, AA5 and, presumably, AA6.

Everything until now could be seen as the "Hope's Peak Academy" saga, with DR3 being its conclusion. V3 could be the start of a new one, with a new central villain.

h0tp0ck3t

Man this looks so good. All for a new setting to be honest,
yeah! for no Junko ghost
I just hope we find out if (DR2 Spoilers)
The remnants of despair recover
one way or another

FluxWaveZ

I just hope we find out if (DR2 Spoilers)
The remnants of despair recover
one way or another

There's already the possible hint that
Nagito is involved
in Danganronpa 3, which would be an indication in and of itself. I bet a lot about DR2 will be in DR3, including characters.

What I thought of first was that
Makoto's detained by Future Foundation because of the stunt he pulled off with the Neo World Program and the Remnants of Despair
, although that might not be the case because of the time skip.

So let me get this straight we won't get a direct continuation of DR2 correct? The anime will answer what happened after 2 and DR.v3 is brand new that somehow connects with the anime as well? I'm a bit confused did I get it right?

FluxWaveZ

So let me get this straight we won't get a direct continuation of DR2 correct? The anime will answer what happened after 2 and DR.v3 is brand new that somehow connects with the anime as well? I'm a bit confused did I get it right?

No. Danganronpa 3 is confirmed to feature the Danganronpa 1 characters who are in the OP, with a time skip. There has been no mention of Danganronpa 2 involvement in DR3 as of yet, but look at the name and the premise.

DRV3 is stated to be a brand new story with a new setting and characters; there has been no mention of a connection between DR3 and V3 as of yet.

Rich!

wait a minute

that DR3 poster...

mainvisual2.jpg

...is that a smashed crystal ball on the floor? Could that be foreshadowing? What did Makoto do to yasuhiro (guessing)?

FluxWaveZ

...is that a smashed crystal ball on the floor? Could that be foreshadowing? What did Makoto do to yasuhiro (guessing)?

KnightHart's interpretation:
Also did anyone else notice in the bottom right of the poster there's a shattered crystal ball? I guess Naegi is being blamed for his murder in this anime sequel thing, and Kirigiri and Asahina have to prove his innocence.

Sorian

Banned
I JUST SAW THIS THREAD

AHHHHH

AHHHHHH

HYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE

AHHHHHHHHHHH

ActualFeistyBettong.gif

I'm good, I'm good, I'm sorry

I'm so happy again, ahhhhhhhhhhh

FluxWaveZ

I thought Hiro waa chillin in Towa with Kanon

Was the Hiro novel not canon?

Wait, why did you think that? The events of that novel are concurrent with the events of DR:AE. Presumably, after things start to die down after the events of DR:AE, Yasuhiro would return to Future Foundation.

Plus, DR3 presumably takes place years after the events of DR:AE because of a time skip, so the situation can be completely different.

DaBoss

I doubt there will be a Danganronpa 2 anime adaptation anytime soon, if not ever. That trailer already goofs on that possibility with the "2" shattering into Danganronpa 3. And Kodaka has stated he doesn't think a DR2 anime would work.
Oh, I wasn't aware of the fact he said that. And after thinking about it, it does make sense.

The more I think about it, the more I worry about this franchise becoming another Kingdom Hearts with all the confusing titles and cross medium canon entries. Don't want it to become completely inaccessible to newcomers, which PS4 ports of the first 2 would have helped.

FluxWaveZ

The more I think about it, the more I worry about this franchise becoming another Kingdom Hearts with all the confusing titles and cross medium canon entries. Don't want it to become completely inaccessible to newcomers, which PS4 ports of the first 2 would have helped.

Well, from what I gather from Kingdom Hearts, don't the stories in those games heavily rely on previous entries to understand?

They're coming out of the gate saying that V3 is a completely new story in a new setting with new characters. Confusing titles could be a thing but, moving forward, I don't think there'll really be a fear of it being inaccessible to newcomers. It'd be like someone playing Ace Attorney 4 before playing Ace Attorney 1-3.

V3 being separate is actually a good way to prevent this.

Just saw the new media coming from the conference.

I think it is the right thing to do. Considering the endings of both Danganronpa 1 and 2, it was unbelievable that a new mutual killing would occur with the same conditions as the ones in those games. But there are some plot points that still need closure (
Monaka, Kanon, the aftermath after the New World Program
) and we will get that. I suppose Naegi
has been incarcerated for a time for his actions against the Future Foundation by saving and attempting to rehabilitate the guys from DR2
, so I wonder what's going to happen there. Also,
I have read speculation that the message in that trailer uses Komaeda's speech patterns so it wouldn't be surprising to see Hinata too (and having a changed personality as an aftereffect of his surgeries)

About the game, now I believe Kodaka about this story being its own thing. Though I wonder if it is located in the same universe as the Hope's Peak games or we are going Final Fantasy sequel style. As for the revealed characters, I like the designs of all of them, but I'm not 100% if the robot guy is the new protagonist (even if he has the hair). But it looks like they will go bonkers, and having a new main antagonist (?) might be good to see what Kodaka's mind gives us.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I've been going over it in my head and I'm still baffled that they're ending a story that started as 3 games as an anime instead of another game. I mean, they still make the games but not for the conclusion of this arc? I'm trying to figure out the rational as this could cause a lot of brand confusion.

Random thoughts/ideas:

- Maybe the designers were so hellbent on leaving Hope's Peak/Future Foundation's characters behind they handed it off to an anime studio to finish? (Unlikely)
- Maybe they didn't want to design a game with adult protagonists? (Reaching...)
- Maybe they think an anime of the old arc would be a better promotional for the new game than a game? (Eh...)
- Maybe they wrote the story and decided there just wasn't enough material for a full game? (Slightly more plausible)
- Maybe they wrote the story and decided they couldn't fit it into either the Class Trial or TPS genre (my personal guess.)

But who knows really. Not enough input.

FluxWaveZ

I've been going over it in my head and I'm still baffled that they're ending a story that started as 3 games as an anime instead of another game. I mean, they still make the games but not for the conclusion of this arc? I'm trying to figure out the rational as this could cause a lot of brand confusion.

Random thoughts/ideas:

- Maybe the designers were so hellbent on leaving Hope's Peak/Future Foundation's characters behind they handed it off to an anime studio to finish? (Unlikely)
- Maybe they didn't want to design a game with adult protagonists? (Reaching...)
- Maybe they think an anime of the old arc would be a better promotional for the new game than a game? (Eh...)
- Maybe they wrote the story and decided there just wasn't enough material for a full game? (Slightly more plausible)
- Maybe they wrote the story and decided they couldn't fit it into either the Class Trial or TPS genre (my personal guess.)

But who knows really. Not enough input.

Kodaka spoke about how he was kind of burned out after the first two games and how it took writing the decidedly non-mystery DR:AE to get him ready to go back to mysteries again. I wouldn't be surprised if the sentiment amongst him/the team was that they wanted to go all-new if they were going to do another mystery game, which limited how they could wrap up the DR1/DR2 plots.

And because I've been quoting this one, which is the most reasonable and likely answer, here was another statement from Kodaka:
Obviously, pleasing your fans is something that they always strive for, and he wants to do, but by the same token, that creative instinct and creative spirit is something that he wants to fulfill within himself. He wants to challenge himself and the team to make something new and exciting and more challenging, so that’s how they approach every new title that comes up in the series.

He called someone out here: “Besides, if you keep making the same thing over and over again, it ends up getting tired, right, like Bioshock?”
Like he said earlier, the idea is that creating something that the fans want and will be pleased with, but at the same time, creating something that he wants to make, too—he feels that when either one of those is lost, the series is over. So he feels that in that regard, he feels that the series doesn’t have much longer to go. But by the same token, provided he can come up with ideas that will fulfill both of those conditions, making fans happy and making himself creatively fulfilled, it will continue.
Someone like Kodaka wouldn't be fulfilled by just exploring the same things over and over again, even if that's what the fans want.

It's simple: V3 is a new story because he wanted it to be new.

But by the same token, provided he can come up with ideas that will fulfill both of those conditions, making fans happy and making himself creatively fulfilled, it will continue.
Making fans happy = Danganronpa 3 anime
Making himself creatively fulfilled = Danganronpa V3

I'd honestly be surprised if there was ZERO connection to the rest of the series. It could take place 400 years in the future on some school space station or something, but there would still be 1 or 2 mentions of a past killing game or rebuilding society.

So we have DR1, DR2, and Another Episode all in games yet they are ending it on an anime instead of a game.....Not a fan of that decision at all.

I think you just kinda sold me on the anime angle. Wish it was a straight out VN instead, though.

One thing I'm unsure of how it will work in a reboot is subverting series expectations. Danganronpa 1 had a very black and white view on hope and despair, Danganronpa 2 had a warped view of hope born through despair, and AE had a positive motivating hope being the catalyst for more despair.

Will V3 reset the cycle?

Top Bottom