• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

You'll be seeing more artists on Spinnin, they just got bought by WMG.

Thank you! Hahaha sadly no, rip in peace :(

I knew about WMG buying them, but I just didn't think they would do much in terms of adding artists onto a YouTube channel. Not bad and good eyes on Infected Mushroom. I'm hoping they add a ton of more variety to Spinnin' besides the usual.

mr stroke

Lands on my birthday.

Can it be? My first EDC Vegas?

Ackkkkk who wants a 33year old there.

you think you feel old. I am 36 just bought tickets to Holy Ship :p

Its been on my bucket list for a while, just could never convince the wife to go until now.

3WnP0q0.png

so much House/Techno this year I couldn't pass it up

(as far as EDC is concerned, no one will give a shit. To be honest Id say the average age of EDC is mid 20's to early 30's. Its an expensive festival for teenagers to be attending)

cdyhybrid

Its been on my bucket list for a while, just could never convince the wife to go until now.

(as far as EDC is concerned, no one will give a shit. To be honest Id say the average age of EDC is mid 20's to early 30's. Its an expensive festival for teenagers to be attending)
Plus Vegas isn't really teenager-friendly.

Aomber

I knew about WMG buying them, but I just didn't think they would do much in terms of adding artists onto a YouTube channel. Not bad and good eyes on Infected Mushroom. I'm hoping they add a ton of more variety to Spinnin' besides the usual.

Well from a business standpoint, YouTube is part of the streaming platforms. I was watching spinthony rectano recently and he was talking about how the big publishers are making insane profit through that medium now, so I guess anything they can do to push that is in their benefit, and a label like Spinnin is mostly a matter of quantity

Holy Ship is awesome I hear, I have several friends who have been to it and they say it's on the level of Tomorrowland (in an apples to oranges way)

Alright Aomber, i bought my tickts to see Alison Wonderland this Thursday. What you want me to ask her?

Lol! Alright I'll take you up on that, tell her I'm a producer that studied at Berklee, I'll take her out to dinner & we'll talk music if she slides into my dm's ����

Oxn

Plus Vegas isn't really teenager-friendly.
No one my age wants to go with me though. They too "grown up", and they are "over" it.

Aomber

No one my age wants to go with me though. They too "grown up", and they are "over" it.

You could do it solo, I know quite a few people who have done that, myself included. It depends if that's a consideration for you though, there's definitely advantages to it, ex. seeing all the artists you want to see.

mr stroke

I am sure people from GAF will go :)

(including my stupid self who swears off going every year lol)

But trust me I get it. At my age (36) its REALLY hard to find people to go to shows/festivals with anymore. 90% of my friends/co workers, won't even consider going out any more. I have one good friend who will go and is into EDM, and luckily my wife has listened to electronic music as long as I have.

Aomber

I am sure people from GAF will go :)

(including my stupid self who swears off going every year lol)

But trust me I get it. At my age (36) its REALLY hard to find people to go to shows/festivals with anymore. 90% of my friends/co workers, won't even consider going out any more. I have one good friend who will go and is into EDM, and luckily my wife has listened to electronic music as long as I have.
Thats why I'm trying to work in music, then I don't have that problem, I want to be around music forever

The problem is getting into the industry but I won't get into that subject ITT

DMczaf

My first EDC (2016) I was 31 and I felt right at home.

Was lucky enough to have good friends, meet good people and just have an awesome experience.

Ixian

My girlfriend and I will be on Holy Ship 10.0 as well. :D She's a Kaskade super fan so once the lineup came out we began hunting for tickets; it was a bucket list event for us anyway but we weren't planning on going next year. Think I'm going to spend all of next year sleeping, this year we've still got:
- Life is Beautiful
- ACL Weekend 2
- Escape
- Kaskade Redux
- Dreamstate
- Countdown

then Holy Ship right when the new year begins.

Plus I'm sure some other smaller events will pop up in that list somewhere.

mr stroke

My girlfriend and I will be on Holy Ship 10.0 as well. :D She's a Kaskade super fan so once the lineup came out we began hunting for tickets; it was a bucket list event for us anyway but we weren't planning on going next year. Think I'm going to spend all of next year sleeping, this year we've still got:
- Life is Beautiful
- ACL Weekend 2
- Escape
- Kaskade Redux
- Dreamstate
- Countdown

then Holy Ship right when the new year begins.

Plus I'm sure some other smaller events will pop up in that list somewhere.

well shit, I guess we're friends then :p

Ill be at LIB and Holy Ship with my wife. See you there ! (Definitely need to have a beer on Holy Ship!!!)

Ashhong

Illenium album is out! Girlfriend just told me she wants a break to think about things so this is either the best or worst timing for the album. We will see.

Back from my second Ultra Japan. Did not spend nearly as much time inside as I wanted too. The first year, last year, we went in around 3 left for a bit for dinner and got in again around 7:30 to the finale. This time we made it in around 6 though I wanted to go early and spend the whole afternoon :/ Maybe next time.

Was still fun, even during a typhoon. The weather was pretty cool too so was not super uncomfortable.

The place we went after was way better this year too. My main gripe about last year was the "official" after party which had TERRIBLE music. No rise in excitement, drops, nothing just a constant beat that droned on for hours. Gave up and went home at 3 that time lol. Huge club, terrible music. This year we went to a different place having their own "after party" and it was great. Good music, drinks were decent, line to get in was long but eh, fun crowd, and even had several performances like dancers and what not giving out little gifts. It was also the clubs 4th anniversary so that probably added to it.

Maybe will try Korea next year.

Plus the new Gundam statue while not finished, looked awesome next to the festival.

Aomber

Illenium album is out! Girlfriend just told me she wants a break to think about things so this is either the best or worst timing for the album. We will see.
Sorry to hear that man, best of vibes your way, music's the best cure

Back from my second Ultra Japan. Did not spend nearly as much time inside as I wanted too. The first year, last year, we went in around 3 left for a bit for dinner and got in again around 7:30 to the finale. This time we made it in around 6 though I wanted to go early and spend the whole afternoon :/ Maybe next time.

Was still fun, even during a typhoon. The weather was pretty cool too so was not super uncomfortable.

The place we went after was way better this year too. My main gripe about last year was the "official" after party which had TERRIBLE music. No rise in excitement, drops, nothing just a constant beat that droned on for hours. Gave up and went home at 3 that time lol. Huge club, terrible music. This year we went to a different place having their own "after party" and it was great. Good music, drinks were decent, line to get in was long but eh, fun crowd, and even had several performances like dancers and what not giving out little gifts. It was also the clubs 4th anniversary so that probably added to it.

Maybe will try Korea next year.

Plus the new Gundam statue while not finished, looked awesome next to the festival.

I was gonna ask if you just weren't accustomed to techno or house music but that doesn't even sound like that because even those sets have build up moments and "drops" in their own respect, sounds weird lol. Anyway glad you had a good time! That's unfortunate about the timing, I hate when people are like "yeah man, let's be cool and not show up until way later"

cdyhybrid

I was gonna ask if you just weren't accustomed to techno or house music but that doesn't even sound like that because even those sets have build up moments and "drops" in their own respect, sounds weird lol. Anyway glad you had a good time! That's unfortunate about the timing, I hate when people are like "yeah man, let's be cool and not show up until way later"
Well if you only know big room then techno's build up probably doesn't sound like anything :p

Ashhong

Thanks

Just found this show at the Hollywood Bowl and I must go: Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics. Plays with a live orchestra, holy shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g4zYVG-rjM

Aomber

Thanks

Just found this show at the Hollywood Bowl and I must go: Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics. Plays with a live orchestra, holy shit

Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics

That sounds absolutely fantastic. I went to Above & Beyond acoustic last year which was also orchestral and it was so good that I wanted them to go acoustic permanently

Ashhong

That sounds absolutely fantastic. I went to Above & Beyond acoustic last year which was also orchestral and it was so good that I wanted them to go acoustic permanently

Oh yea I went a few years ago to the first one, was amazing. I'm a sucker for strings and these shows hit the spot. Can't wait

Aomber

Don't really have time to write about this Odesza album but yeah, I always feel like I enjoy the idea of Odesza more than I actually like Odesza, their music always lands on forgettable territory despite having some nice textures. Especially in this album the music is just kinda bland, with the vocal performances/lyrics not exactly helping.

Pitchfork gave it a 5.8

Ashhong

Don't really have time to write about this Odesza album but yeah, I always feel like I enjoy the idea of Odesza more than I actually like Odesza, their music always lands on forgettable territory despite having some nice textures. Especially in this album the music is just kinda bland, with the vocal performances/lyrics not exactly helping.

Pitchfork gave it a 5.8

Eek, that's harsh. Wonder if they will review Illenium

Ashhong

Yeah Pitchfork always rates hard, I don't know this for sure but I think they use the "5/10 is average" scale

Usually they don't review edm artists' first albums with a few exceptions

Good thing it's his second album :D

Have you taken a listen by chance?

Aomber

Good thing it's his second album :D

Have you taken a listen by chance?

Oh my bad I forgot he had one before, for some reason I remembered it as an EP. Anyway I checked out some of it – I mean it's an Illenium album, it's not for me. I don't mind his music, but as a general rule of thumb I basically don't enjoy music that is structured around build ups/drops and the loudness war, though I do understand that's the art.

That being said I think a lot of EDM now a day is just not for me, even as a producer over the last 3-4 months I've stopped trying to be an "artist/dj/performer" and I'm a lot more interested in being a back bone for singer songwriters.

Timmy Trumpet & Dimatik - Punjabi

Hm..... I like it and the combo of Psy Trance, Big Room, and Hard House (the last drop has some Hardstyle influence though so it can be both ways), but there's no...... Style to it. It basically sounds like a track to push 2 genres to the mainstream.

Been very happy with Revealed showcasing Dr Phunk, Atmozfears, and Sephyx. Nice push from Hardwell for Hardstyle.

The thing that I hate, and I'm sure some folks in here agree with, is that with the push towards Psy Trance/Hard Dance...... There comes the need to turn the genres into genres focused on the drop/s. To make the festival goers more into the genre and songs so the focus is on drops/anti-climax/climax. Granted Hardstyle is mostly about the Anti-Climax and Climax, but their buildups are also the focus of the songs.

cdyhybrid

E4QEuMw.jpg

Kaskade was just revealed as the secret guest headliner. And thus I now have a ticket.

Here for Justice, Kaskade, Infected Mushroom, Malaa, Benny B, and Adventure Club.

Aomber

Timmy Trumpet & Dimatik - Punjabi

Hm..... I like it and the combo of Psy Trance, Big Room, and Hard House (the last drop has some Hardstyle influence though so it can be both ways), but there's no...... Style to it. It basically sounds like a track to push 2 genres to the mainstream.

Been very happy with Revealed showcasing Dr Phunk, Atmozfears, and Sephyx. Nice push from Hardwell for Hardstyle.

The thing that I hate, and I'm sure some folks in here agree with, is that with the push towards Psy Trance/Hard Dance...... There comes the need to turn the genres into genres focused on the drop/s. To make the festival goers more into the genre and songs so the focus is on drops/anti-climax/climax. Granted Hardstyle is mostly about the Anti-Climax and Climax, but their buildups are also the focus of the songs.

Yes. I was talking to my buddy about one of Steve Angello's new tracks, and I was saying that I thought it wasn't good. He replied by saying, "I see your point but when he played it live it was so good!"

Thing is, you could make the argument that if a track is exclusively good live, it's not really that good in the first place. Don't get me wrong, there's enjoyable tracks in every genre for general listening, but I feel like that happens a lot in dance music.

I forgot that Steve Angello released his EP not too long ago. Going to need to dedicate some time to listen to it. The same goes for D-Block & S-Te-Fan's latest album, Antidote.

I need to see what my local "Dance" club has going on for Halloween....

For the bassheads, getting Slander is great! I'm not too familiar with the rest though :/ Must be a great event for the bassheads?

Anyone been listening to Illenium's new album Awake? I absolutely LOVE it. Like I'm kinda taken aback / surprised at how damn good it is. Only song I don't like is Leaving because well, he tries his hardest to sing on it but I find his vocals really rough.

Besides that though fantastic record

I also gotta say I can hear some pretty clear Porter Robinson influence in a few of these tracks. The song Where'd U Go main's drop sounds pretty damn similar to Flicker / Lionhearted for example

The music is super hard to describe lol. Imagine like... trance music, but like all one song for 3 hours, with basically no change in the beat. Like... standing next to a buzzing fan or air conditioner with a few low bass booms in it. Crazy hard to explain in words lol but its like singed into my memory.

buzzzzzzzzzzzz-boom-buzzzzzz-boom-buzzzzzzzzzboom- sorta like that every 5 or so seconds lol. Like no one could even dance or move to it. It was soooooooo weird. They were "guest" dj's from like germany or something lol. It felt like a weak late 90s rave from a teen movie haha.

I mean coming from Ultra you would expect the after party to be some what like the main stage to keep everyone excited (though this place had three floors and three setups, all playing the lamest music possible)

Ashhong

Anyone been listening to Illenium's new album Awake? I absolutely LOVE it. Like I'm kinda taken aback / surprised at how damn good it is. Only song I don't like is Leaving because well, he tries his hardest to sing on it but I find his vocals really rough.

Besides that though fantastic record

I also gotta say I can hear some pretty clear Porter Robinson influence in a few of these tracks. The song Where'd U Go main's drop sounds pretty damn similar to Flicker / Lionhearted for example

Welcome to the GAF fan club. Current members: me.

I didn't know he sang in leaving though, I thought the singing was pretty good on that

Edit: thought that was weird. Leaving is sung by EDEN, just uncredited

Welcome to the GAF fan club. Current members: me.

I didn't know he sang in leaving though, I thought the singing was pretty good on that

Edit: thought that was weird. Leaving is sung by EDEN, just uncredited

Oh really? Still consider those vocals very very rough. Thought it was Illenium himself since there was no credit on vocals.

Still love the album, even though I do find a few of the songs to borrow a bit to heavily in vibe / theme from Porter Robinson (and a tiny bit of Madeon as well)

Aomber

The music is super hard to describe lol. Imagine like... trance music, but like all one song for 3 hours, with basically no change in the beat. Like... standing next to a buzzing fan or air conditioner with a few low bass booms in it. Crazy hard to explain in words lol but its like singed into my memory.

buzzzzzzzzzzzz-boom-buzzzzzz-boom-buzzzzzzzzzboom- sorta like that every 5 or so seconds lol. Like no one could even dance or move to it. It was soooooooo weird. They were "guest" dj's from like germany or something lol. It felt like a weak late 90s rave from a teen movie haha.

I mean coming from Ultra you would expect the after party to be some what like the main stage to keep everyone excited (though this place had three floors and three setups, all playing the lamest music possible)
Okay, now that makes sense, I found the event and it was on resident advisor with the headline dj being Nic Fanciulli and Technasia. Thats techno all the way no doubt about it.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/events/879146

I'm guessing the music was something like this

Dj Tonio - Queen (Anna Remix) https://youtu.be/qTvpcD9giDk

Royksopp - Sordid Affair (Maceo Plex remix) https://youtu.be/HZfnmNf5MwA

What I can say is that techno is very much an acquired taste. Mainstage music is generally about quick gratification so if you're not used to techno it can be pretty jarring since the focus is a lot more on the overall set, getting into the groove of the music and enjoying the journey. I don't think Japan is a big techno place so I'm not surprised the crowd wasn't into it. I have friends who used to listen to a lot of the mainstream stuff who pretty much exclusively follow the techno scene now, but it didn't happen overnight that's for sure. I will add that Techno is usually used as after party music specifically because it's often about being an "after hours" style of music.

Ill be honest though those two DJs probably played techno sets that would be pretty hard to get into for a first timer. This might be a bit more accessible.

Tomorrowland 2015 | Carl Cox https://youtu.be/PCVI7qFU17c

Edit: this isn't solely techno but I always say the mau5 is also a good intro

Deadmau5 ultra 2016 https://youtu.be/TaSv-vG9-CI

see5harp

I did my last Festival is solo. If you want to spend Time with other people, you will. I met a group on the first day last weekend and by the end of that day was talking about the next one. That’s the nature of festivals assuming you aren’t a super closed off person.

EDIT: and for whatever reason I have been listening to above and beyond and stuff like Illenium. I think coming from a techno and old school head vibe I always saw that divide between the old and new and liked to separate myself from it but I had such a good time last weekend that I decided to just start giving everything a chance and not always try and be negative in my day to day life. I actually like the illenium. /shrug

Aomber

I did my last Festival is solo. If you want to spend Time with other people, you will. I met a group on the first day last weekend and by the end of that day was talking about the next one. That’s the nature of festivals assuming you aren’t a super closed off person.

EDIT: and for whatever reason I have been listening to above and beyond and stuff like Illenium. I think coming from a techno and old school head vibe I always saw that divide between the old and new and liked to separate myself from it but I had such a good time last weekend that I decided to just start giving everything a chance and not always try and be negative in my day to day life. I actually like the illenium. /shrug
Good, you'll enjoy a lot more music if you keep an open mind. I know what you mean I have friends who are exclusively techno heads and they don't really listen to much outside of that. I listen to techno, I also listen to Justin Bieber 🤷

see5harp

Good, you'll enjoy a lot more music if you keep an open mind. I know what you mean I have friends who are exclusively techno heads and they don't really listen to much outside of that. I listen to techno, I also listen to Justin Bieber 🤷

I already enjoy a lot of music. I was mainly just snobby about the big mainstream EDM stuff. It's more or less a "when in Rome" sorta thing for me. When I'm there to have a good time and let loose I really don't care how cheesy and on the nose stuff is. The popular trap guys like Troiboi or Ekali, etc do the same drops over and over that people love and honestly I have no problem with that in the moment. I love pop music too.

Top Bottom