• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

went to a decent craft beer place in Kinshicho, only to realize I'm more of a highball guy.

Typhoon was pretty crazy last night. Winds were intense.

Also, I tried posting a reply regarding Hub three times last night, and none went through? Was only I having that problem?

Typhoon 18 is Raijin's judgment upon the Hub confirmed.

Porcile

Only キモい人 drink Highballs, urfe. Unless you're rocking a Salty Dog, just drink beer and enjoy it.

Aizo

Banned
I don't like beer. I just drink whiskey (mostly Scotch) straight, typically.
It's actually a problem when drinking out with friends, though, because if you're drinking straight liquor, you finish too early and people keep buying you more. Good way to get totally destroyed. I'll probably drink highballs tonight since I'm going out and don't feel like killing myself with alcohol poisoning.

urfe

Highballs are the best drinks ever for social drinking.

Not sure who Porcile is trying to parody, but doesn't really matter, highballs rock.

Finally back in the Kagos. Tokyo was fun and I hope to go back maybe in Winter around Xmas to do the tourist thing for once, Tokyo Tower, Sky Tree, Akasuka, blah blah blah. This time was just Music Festival and hardcore party weekend to end the summer.

I had a great time compared to last year when I went which I hated ALOT. Don't think the main strip of Roppongi is for me though. Not my type of crowd on the street and having to bat away the massage obachans...The clubs were good though, good music, mixes, and ratio of jerk face tourists compared to fun locals was in a sweet spot I guess. Made some nice friends for my next visit. My friends who recently live there took us around to some of the clubs they like and told us which ones to avoid haha. V-2 was super fun but it was also their anniversary party, lots of fun party people there, great way to wait out the typhoon... and some old white guy who had to be like barely under 60 about to puke every two minutes which was... concerting haha but always seems to be one in the club. Went to a few other places in Shinjuku and Shibuya as well and all were a good time.

That said wasn't trying to hook up with -insert creepy thing foreigners say about asian women- I just wanted to party and eat good food for a weekend. And see the new Gundam (which did not get turned on, on Sunday due to the Typhoon)

Which is probably what I will miss most. The food variety is so much better -tear- all the variety here is either so-so or closing one by one. /sigh.

Still Osaka/Fukuoka are better

Fisico

I saw so many ads for Strong Zero, but reading it's weird makes it much more appealing than all these ads combined ahah.

I had a very specific question, so specific I'm not sure anyone would be able to answer but it's worth asking anyway : I intend to have an especially long and intense training in a few days (1h bicycle and 1h running with a 165 cardio on average), overall I'd put it at something above a half marathon in terms of effort (I won't go at race pace though), usually when it's that long I need to be able to eat/drink something to keep up the pace.
Before moving out I tried a lot of different things and sort of liked the products of the powerbar brand (both in taste and efficiency), they can be found here (at least I see them on Amazon.co.jp) but I was wondering if the things below you can find below in supermarket are worth it or not?

51gprwoi16l97sre.jpg

They're much cheaper and since I'm here might as well try other products too, it's just for training also so no harm if it's not efficient.

Of course I'll use some Pocari Sweat for drink :p

Strong Zero's are fine. Like most alcohol the taste is kinda bad overall but better than a freaking high ball as basically everything in life is. If we want to get fairly drunk here inserting a strong into the fold does it pretty quick.

---------

Walked downstairs this morning and saw what looked like a king crab sitting the dark of my stairwell, did a double take and saw it again and just kept walking.

First time "seeing" a hand spider even if it was less than a second. Did not freak out at the time but my neighbor told me she saw it when she came home around two hours ago. WELP DOOR LOCKED AND NO OUTSIDE EXERCISE TONIGHT, OFFICIALLY HOSTAGE STATUS SEND HELP.

urfe

Yeah, high balls aren't a drunk just to get drunk. Great drink that's not sweet where you can just have one or two after work. Cheap whiskey is fine for me, I can do the good stuff when drinking straight or with ice.

Porcile

I like highballs but I just associate highballs with slightly creepy dudes lol. Just a personal opinion.

Anyway, are we saying the alcohol itself tastes bad or that all alcoholic drinks taste bad? If it's the latter then that's like people who say like they don't like "fish". There's a million different kind of drinks out there, all with different flavours.

I haven't gotten totally fucked up in years though and not once since I came to Japan. I'm usually just drinking a few beers here and there. The 10% drinks in a can are some radioactive shit. It's pretty amusing to me to see the local obachans nab a few out the fridge in the supermarket.

Drink responsibly people.

I'm saying most alcohol itself tastes bad. There is of course some tasty stuff out there, but lets face it, 90+% of this stuff tastes horrible to the human tongue. French Fries, delicious, straight vodka, not so much. Ramen umai as fuck, spiritus, no thanks. -insertfruityoulike- juice, great, crap izakaya wine #puke.

Most alcohol doesn't taste particularly "delicious" imo, but it can be good or drinkable sure, particularly when mixed. When people say stuff like Mariachi is tasty, I think they are just an alcoholic haha.

Resilient

Valkerie, you're on that good shit aren't you. Alcohol tastes yummy af, in fact alcohol is umai af. I classify most Whiskey as sugoi af, Vodka as chou sugoi af and Beer as tanoshi sugi af. I don't live in Japan, but when I'm there I like to have a Strong Zero to cap off my night and so I'd classify that as chou yabai af. maji.

Resilient

Is LonelyGreyWolf on another level of woke where he is so woke he can see through my post?
And is hence replying with a woke comment?

Aizo is usually pretty woke, I know he didn't take me seriously. Please Aizo. Onegai!!

How is that "so anime"?
I typically don't like anime, but if there was an anime where they talked like that, I'd shoot my ears off.

Stop being triggered all the time Aizo-san you baka.

Is LonelyGreyWolf on another level of woke where he is so woke he can see through my post?
And is hence replying with a woke comment?

Aizo is usually pretty woke, I know he didn't take me seriously. Please Aizo. Onegai!!

Yes, the power level of my haki is so high I can teleport behind you in the blink of an eye.

Agree to disagree that alcohol is "delicious" in most cases. Gimme a well made wine ect. sure. Thats tasty. I call into question peoples taste buds though when things like sochu are considered tasty, when it smells and tastes like tamiya paint thinner.

I love to go out drinking and having fun, heck my part time job before coming (and still kinda secretly is) was being a bartender, but I can't honestly admit to liking a lot of the tastes that come out of these bottles for my own self. Least without mixing it.

Fisico

Agree to disagree that alcohol is "delicious" in most cases. Gimme a well made wine ect. sure. Thats tasty. I call into question peoples taste buds though when things like sochu are considered tasty, when it smells and tastes like tamiya paint thinner.

I love to go out drinking and having fun, heck my part time job before coming (and still kinda secretly is) was being a bartender, but I can't honestly admit to liking a lot of the tastes that come out of these bottles for my own self. Least without mixing it.

Taste vary between people.
As a matter of facts I 100% agree with you, I don't like the taste of >90% of alcohol and the remaining 10% are mostly drinkable with a few being tasty maybe?

I heard so many people telling me "you're too young !" "you just drink cheap things" "you need to drink more" "well maybe you're a girl then try coktails" "that's just an excuse because you get drunk too easily"

Well too bad, as I've been drinking occasionally for more than a decade even regularly so at times, tried so many different alcohol across the world, so many brands from cheap to some things ridiculously expensive that I should never have paid for, coktails are mostly just a way to try to hide the alcoohol taste with sugar and oddly enough it takes a lot of time for me to get drunk and even in that state I hold myself pretty well (which is a shame, since the main appeal of alcohol is to get drunk with others and it costs me a lot to reach that point)

Yet I always had to explain myself to some colleagues that keeps hammering "nothing better than a good beer after work!", sorry pal, maybe my palate was made differently but I'd take water instead any day

I would like to mention though that one of my best friend was a beer seller and made me try hundreds of different beers, while that didn't change my overall opinion, it did help me narrow down drastically what I even want to try drinking which makes up to 95% of the usual offering in supermarket and mainstream bars.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I need some tasty food for dinner. Being at home in the middle of nowhere to anything nice is fucking boring.

I got my salary and I'll just want to take the train to go and check anything I fancy from your recommendations.
Anywhere between Yokohama and Tokyo.

Any mexican food that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg?

Or creamy-like tonkotsu raamen?

Or, any place that you higly recommend?

A burger would do nicely too. For some reason I crave something unhealthy today.

894389.jpg

Whelp, I have been living in Japan for a week now. Just got my Japanese SIM (Ymobile, not sure if they are any good or not) and my bank account. My wife and I have our apartment finally feeling like a home. My japanese is slowly coming along.

Also I love highballs. My go to drink when I am out with my father-in-law.

Aizo

Banned
I need some tasty food for dinner. Being at home in the middle of nowhere to anything nice is fucking boring.

I got my salary and I'll just want to take the train to go and check anything I fancy from your recommendations.
Anywhere between Yokohama and Tokyo.

Any mexican food that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg?

Or creamy-like tonkotsu raamen?

Or, any place that you higly recommend?

A burger would do nicely too. For some reason I crave something unhealthy today.

894389.jpg
Burger Sasa in Daikanyama is incredible. I know this response is late.

Fisico

I had a very specific question, blabla running edible food

51gprwoi16l97sre.jpg

They're much cheaper and since I'm here might as well try other products too, it's just for training also so no harm if it's not efficient.

Of course I'll use some Pocari Sweat for drink :p

To quote myself, I did try it, it had the same jelly texture as the energy things that have been mentioned here earlier, which is perfect for running, a small lemon taste and I never felt "weak" during the training, quite the opposite in fact. Though it might be the result of my training itself rather than anything else, I didn't push hard at all either so I'll try once again later on but will stick with I brought from Europe for my race in Yohohama next month.

And I forgot to bring my pocari sweat bottle so I went with plain water :p

I tried highball a few days ago as well, it tastes like whisky with carbonated water, basically 0 surprise so I didn't like it as expected.

Porcile

I tried liver sashimi this evening. I know it's banned but some places will sell it raw and you just pretend you cook it lol. Don't know what I expected but it was pretty pointless. Maybe i'll be dead tomorrow.

Aizo

Banned
I tried liver sashimi this evening. I know it's banned but some places will sell it raw and you just pretend you cook it lol. Don't know what I expected but it was pretty pointless. Maybe i'll be dead tomorrow.
That sounds quite bad. What made you want to eat it?

Aizo

Banned
Should I visit for Halloween?

How is Tokyo on Halloween?

I heard it is getting popular.
It's gotten crazier even just over the past three years in Shibuya. There are tons of fantastic costumes. I'd personally rather spend it at a themed concert or in one of the themed parties in Shimokita, but Shibuya is worth seeing once. I also really like the parade in Harajuku each year. There are tons of events all over.

I also wish there were more お化け屋敷 around. Halloween in Japan kinda misses the mark for me by being too party oriented and not having any of the creepy aspects of Halloween.

Izuna

Banned
Whoa, sounds really good.

I might want to dress up as Brown. I'm gunna see if I can book my ticket this evening then.

Desmond

A slur that mixed raced people sometimes use in jest. See: Archer, DWP, etc. I'm describing myself. Actually this is my ring tone: https://youtu.be/CUmMc2-V37M

Ergo, Brown is the best.

Do they really have ping pong at Onsen? I'm trying to book one but Google isn't helping.
As long as it's self referential.

Ive never seen table tennis at onsen, maybe there are. I've always been more preoccupied by the bottled milk they sell at onsen. So good.

Izuna

Banned
Hmm, gunna ask Eri again. Gotta find a good place for ping pong that isn't JUST ping pong. Maybe Odaiba?

I don't know if Onsen is worth in central Tokyo anyway. I would honestly love to go West once more but I know I'm visiting next Spring so I don't wanna waste it.

In Japan right now.

Going to have lunch by myself in a couple hours. Oh god. I can already feel it's going to be embarrassing.

And maybe I'm stupid but the bedsheet they gave me doesn't go with the mattress. >.<

Izuna

Banned
In Japan right now.

Going to have lunch by myself in a couple hours. Oh god. I can already feel it's going to be embarrassing.

And maybe I'm stupid but the bedsheet they gave me doesn't go with the mattress. >.<

Eating on your own isn't embarrassing anywhere.

Top Bottom