• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R2 Button on Dualshock 4 sticking.....again.

rezn0r

it's one end of the small plastic rod that holds the trigger in place breaking. i'm about to fix my two controllers for like the tenth time. in a past thread a few people told me to start using the controllers correctly. threads like this one keep popping up, so i don't think it's me. i do blame FPS.

R2 replacements are really cheap on ebay and wherever else, and it's very easy to fix. the hardest part is lining up the spring again, but still easy once you've done it a few times. i recommend replacing the sticks too if you're going to be taking it apart :]

MrBenchmark

R2 on my controller just messed up today playing destiny this is the second controller to do this at 60 a pop it's kinda bullshit. And I'm not rough on any of my stuff.

MrBenchmark

yeah this is bullshit!

6892FE6F-31C1-477A-87FD-9DC3330C2E24.jpg

9BF59632-7529-44AF-B716-20693384E19D.jpg

Wagram

I don't like the nubs on the sticks. They L3 analog stick hurts my left thumb after only a little time playing. Never had an issue with any gaming controller until now.

neoism

I don't like the nubs on the sticks. They L3 analog stick hurts my left thumb after only a little time playing. Never had an issue with any gaming controller until now.

yeah i like the controller over all... but i changed all fps games i play to l1&r1 for shooting and aiming and using R3 for sprint is waaaaayy fucking better than L3... you only have to press down on R3 to start sprint not press front down.... saved my controller.. had mine a year with at least 2k hours played on it... still going strong... i also put some wd40 right on the trigger where it broke in the pic above... with some qtips really helps with squeaking.

hesido

yeah i like the controller over all... but i changed all fps games i play to l1&r1 for shooting and aiming and using R3 for sprint is waaaaayy fucking better than L3... you only have to press down on R3 to start sprint not press front down.... saved my controller.. had mine a year with at least 2k hours played on it... still going strong... i also put some wd40 right on the trigger where it broke in the pic above... with some qtips really helps with squeaking.

I heard WD40 might erode the plastic? Graphite powder is better maybe?

I had the same broken hinge problem btw, which I fixed by replacement buttons. I didn't even play it for that long. It's the shittiest official controller I ever used.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm ok with these now. My launch 2 both had a sticking R1, both got replaced. Sold that one off for a 1200 model console and every controller I've had since (including the White and Red that I bought) have been fine.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I've replaced the sticks on both by DS4s with Xbox One sticks and replaced the L2 trigger on one of them after the spring pin broke off from wear and tear (hurray for cheap spare parts).

Terrible build quality on these controllers.

You can buy packs of multiple springs and buttons on Amazon for a few bucks. I replaced a spring a year or so ago and it's fine. The WD-40 is for R1/L1, not the triggers, afaik. I've done that, too. Launch controller still going strong.

As of today both of my controllers are trash. Broken R2 on one, torn sticks and sticking R1 on the other. Fuck McGuyver-ing the controllers, this is horseshit.

SnakeEyes

Banned
It's actually not sticking guys - the peg on the side where the spring is set into the trigger has snapped. You'll need to either open the controller up and superglue the peg back on, or buy reinforced triggers from eBay like these.

I thought I was ok from the ds4 problems but only a few days ago the R2 button on mine stopped working. It would try to register but just revert back when pressing it in. I Took it apart and used some rubbing alcohol on the sensor under the rubber thing seemed to fix it.

Justinh

Man, I always have to do a quick search to see if I already posted in this thread.
yeah this is bullshit!

6892FE6F-31C1-477A-87FD-9DC3330C2E24.jpg

9BF59632-7529-44AF-B716-20693384E19D.jpg

For what it's worth, I think they changed the way the "2" buttons are made. At least they were on my 20th anniversary.

See how they filled in that gap until the very end?
jswgldX.jpg

My triggers though, I think because of where they moved the springs, have no resistance which makes them really sensitive. I'm considering replacing all the guts in my 20th anniversary with an older model because of this.

old triggers for comparison
Q6hx9wn.jpg

edit: I bring shame upon my family for replying to a three week old post...

hesido

Man, I always have to do a quick search to see if I already posted in this thread.

For what it's worth, I think they changed the way the "2" buttons are made. At least they were on my 20th anniversary.

See how they filled in that gap until the very end?
jswgldX.jpg

My triggers though, I think because of where they moved the springs, have no resistance which makes them really sensitive. I'm considering replacing all the guts in my 20th anniversary with an older model because of this.

old triggers for comparison
Q6hx9wn.jpg

edit: I bring shame upon my family for replying to a three week old post...

Good news, does the new button fit in the old ones?

Justinh

Good news, does the new button fit in the old ones?

Oh, sorry for not replying sooner. I didn't check if they'd fit, but I don't think they'd work properly even if they did, as that's where the spring goes on the old ones whereas the new ones, the spring is like... attached to the side of the thing that holds the trigger.
So even if they did fit, there'd be no place for the spring with the new triggers in the old... housing.

Slaythe

And this piece of shit broke on me again.

Except now i'm unemployed so I can't even get a new one given how outrageously pricey this crap is.

How can I fix it myself without ruining the feel of the triggers ?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
My first controller's L2 was sticky, and my analog pads had shredded up rubber. My new, blue DS4 is like one month old, and has a sticky d-pad. It used to be squeaky but now I have to press hard to "unblock" the sticky buttons.

PS4 controllers are the shittiest things ever.

Slaythe

My first controller's L2 was sticky, and my analog pads had shredded up rubber. My new, blue DS4 is like one month old, and has a sticky d-pad. It used to be squeaky but now I have to press hard to "unblock" the sticky buttons.

PS4 controllers are the shittiest things ever.

Why are they so expensive !!!!???? They have to know it's horseshit quality.

NeOak

That's why I got a Hori FPS Pro.

My DS4 had a R1 being ass. Fixed it, but since getting the Hori, my DS4 sits in a drawer.

Ranmo

I recently just sent in my second DS4. The left stick was just becoming unresponsive.

My first controller however was a disaster. The stick wasn't the only problem, for whatever reason if I held the R2 button down even ever so slightly. It would cause my left analog stick to think that I'm pushing up.

I love the controller, the design is nice. But its produced way too cheaply.

EDIT: And i'm good with my controllers. I've only ever used one DS3 controller that still works very well. I've never had to replace controllers like this.

The Goat

The build quality still sucks on these controllers, as does the battery. Iterations of the controller have fixed a few things, but its still not perfect. If Sony dropped the ball on one thing with PS4, its this. Really like the controller feel, but I just can't count on it to always work as intended.

That's why I got a Hori FPS Pro.

My DS4 had a R1 being ass. Fixed it, but since getting the Hori, my DS4 sits in a drawer.

That controller is wired though, right? If not, I might seriously consider picking one up. How's battery life?

neoism

Had a similar problem, wd-40 fixed it right away.

this right here people... just a little bit on a qtip.. and your good... plus dont fucking press hard as people seem to do... i reallly love the L1 and R1 buttons sooo i change those to aim and shoot for shooters... really helps save your trigger buttons...

Top Bottom