• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 30 - May 6

Holy fuck, Ryan Hunter.

KDBV0.jpg

http://www.twitch.tv/team/fgcpros

You guys know about this right? It's usually less choppy than the full stream because it cuts the chat.

I think it should be added to the front page. If I'm not looking for Spooky or arturo, then I just click on that and it lists who's streaming, in order of number of people watching. So even if I forget Box Arena comes on tuesdays or thursdays, I can see it's there through this team link.

Anth0ny

From what I've seen.. yes Joker will body Fanatiq free.

Doubt Fanatiq will come out to Toryuken so quick though. He needs his prep time. I wanna see Iron Man punk some fools.

If this happens we need to go. No excuses, that is way too much hype lol

I'm listening, Viscant made a statement about the EVO killing SFxT by making it 2v2. The thing is, I actually agree with him. They may try to down play their influence, but it can't be denied, their decision hurt the game nation wide. Tournaments started doing 2v2 to prep for EVO and people lost interest. Even if local tournaments didn't do 2v2, people still stopped playing because they know they won't play it at EVO or at some upcoming major that will be using the 2v2 format. SFxT would have had its issues either way, but I feel strongly that EVO's decision help hurt the games tournament status.

Mr Wizard has already explained, they have no choice in this matter. Having to support 3 games with a 4 digit turnout number is something beyond their capability. If you are not happy with his decision why don't you try to organize a SFxT singles side tourney at EVO?

Eh, Their decicion to make it 2 v 2 was in response to how dead the game was. If Evo hadnt done that it would have died already imo. Remember NCR ?

You're talking about the viewers, live or from the stream. I'm talking about the players. It's been said many times, people like playing the game but don't enjoy watching it. Whether or not people enjoy watching it, people would have kept playing it if EVO and many tournaments hadn't gone to a 2v2 format. Some people can't find a teammate, some people just flat out don't want to play in a team format. Especially not one like this where you need to practice with your partner.

Mr Wizard has already explained, they have no choice in this matter. Having to support 3 games with a 4 digit turnout number is something beyond their capability. If you are not happy with his decision why don't you try to organize a SFxT singles side tourney at EVO?

I'm not going to be at EVO because of work. But anyways, I'm no organizer so I wouldn't attempt to do something like that. But I'll stand by that opinion. I don't think EVO has to worry about a 1000+ man SFxT, I didn't think it was going to reach that even if it stayed singles. But now that it's doubles, it will be even less IMO. For reference, I'll just put out my prediction and say 700 for SFxT at EVO 2012.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Yeah, if I *did* have any interest in SFxTK, the 2v2 announcement would have completely killed it. I can get by in Marvel with no local competition (barely) if I have to, but not in a game where you need to practice with a teammate to excel.

That was a decision made purely for logistical and entertainment purposes only. It's absolutely awful for competition.

Holy fuck, Ryan Hunter.

KDBV0.jpg
lmao

Grecco

You're talking about the viewers, live or from the stream. I'm talking about the players. It's been said many times, people like playing the game but don't enjoy watching it. Whether or not people enjoy watching it, people would have kept playing it if EVO and many tournaments hadn't gone to a 2v2 format. Some people can't find a teammate, some people just flat out don't want to play in a team format. Especially not one like this where you need to practice with your partner.

Nah. I remember how players started hating on the game too at NCR. Lots of people dont enjoy watching MK9 but it still has a strong scene.

SF X Ts issues were clearly evident before Evos decicion, blaing them is rewriting history

I'm not saying the game isn't without its issues, I stated that. I'm just saying EVO's decision actually had a profound influence on hurting the games tournament scene even more. Many top players have come out and discussed this subject openly. Many don't like it and the a lot of unknowns who make up most of the registered players feel the same way. Granted, I think the numbers would have gone down after NCR, but not as much as it would if EVO hadn't made that decision. It's seems nearly dead or down to MK/Tekken status in so many communities now. Honestly, we'll never know how much off a effect they had, but I feel it was pretty big.

BiggNife

According to Ultra David, Spooky already agreed to stream some tournaments after EVO.

Sp00ky has already said he's not retiring but I think a lot of people missed that

It's just that he's not going to be as active as he used to be. He's not going to be at almost every EVO major anymore.

I think if America can learn to love third strike after hating it for so many years we can and will do the same for SFxT. Maybe it is a bad game, but there's no rule that says we can't love a bad game.

Also Combofiend said he was going to SB like 2 months ago so add that to the list.

Fanatiq should be a fun one. YEEEEA BUUDDDDDDDDDDY

Masaki_

I'm not saying the game isn't without its issues, I stated that. I'm just saying EVO's decision actually had a profound influence on hurting the games tournament scene even more. Many top players have come out and discussed this subject openly. Many don't like it and the a lot of unknowns who make up most of the registered players feel the same way. Granted, I think the numbers would have gone down after NCR, but not as much as it would if EVO hadn't made that decision. It's seems nearly dead or down to MK/Tekken status in so many communities now. Honestly, we'll never know how much off a effect they had, but I feel it was pretty big.

If EVO's decision killed the game, then it never had a future to begin with. It's shitty that most people are only playing the game because it's at EVO, too.

I think if America can learn to love third strike after hating it for so many years we can and will do the same for SFxT. Maybe it is a bad game, but there's no rule that says we can't love a bad game.

it's growing pains. We saw things go a little better at Civ War, it'll keep going better at each major, hopefully. Still not that much fun to watch, but there's enough in there that people will carve a game out of it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The last I heard, Joker has dropped his Iron Man and is playing Doom now. I don't know what to think about him vs Fanatiq. On one hand what Fanatiq said was right, Joker drops a ton of combos and was rather disappointing when I saw him play at T12. On the other hand he does have a big unknown factor in him and Fanatiq will be in a disadvantage playing him, especially in Canada. So it's hard to predict what will happen.
:(

Joker is the only Magnus that moves like it's MvC2 all over again. Fanatiq has godly hit confirms, so that's the only thing I really have him being greater than Joker at. Fanatiq doesn't use any of the UMvC3 tech...at all.

I dunno. Fanatiq is at home when it's sets like these, and he does have that Storm DHC to stop assists, but...his Mag is still living in Vanilla. If he wins, it probably won't be because of him having a better Magneto.
Oh MSS has some of the best DHC capability in all of Marvel 3.

Fanatiq uses UMvC3 tech, to a certain degree. He's one of the only Magnetos to use and effectively use the gravitation moves and have actual setups for them. What tech are you referring to that he doesn't employ?

ismk

It's great to hear UltraDavid and James Chen blasting off against tear lists. Finally people are speaking u.

I'm definitely going to Toryuken and going to try get a hotel room there too for the weekend.

I hope Fanatiq comes down to face Joker, it'll be so hype.

Kinda mad they made it 2v2 for the tournament, I hate having to depend on other people.

(I know EVO is 2v2 also)

I still want to go to Evo, I can afford it, but being under 21 is going to make booking hotel rooms so much more confusing than it has to be

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Awesome. Time for some Japanese technology.

Sunahebi (Sand Snake)
Team: Nova/Skrull/Sentinel

A long-time MVC2 player who has traveled to the US for Evo in the past, his footsies and movement are definitely his strong point. He's famous for his style of taking calculated risks to break down his opponent.

Sunahebi's skill is already very well-known in Japan, so his stream is very popular as well. He streams very frequently, and it's easy to see that he has a lot of love for the game!

Kaitenou AKA Spinking
Team: Zero/Dante/Vergil (sometimes Firebrand as a counter for Phoenix)

Spinking is famous as a lab monster and innovator, always pumping out new combos and tricks for his characters. His decision-making ability is unmatched. There are a ton of players in Japan that watch his videos to copy his combos and setups.

He's also the kind of player that will do anything he thinks will annoy his opponent without hesitation. He aims for screwing up his opponent's synergy as much as he does for KO'ing a character, so snapping in the problem is a very characteristic of Spinking's play.

Despite not using (not being able to use) Zero's lightning loop at all, you wouldn't think this if you spoke with him as he always brags and boasts about how bad he'll body you.

Lately, he's been playing too much Persona Arena and actually fractured a bone in one of his fingers as a result. He's hoping to upgrade to a Bionic Arm to return strength to his finger!

Mame Spider
Team: Spiderman/Doom/Vergil

He has stuck with Spiderman since the beginning, and no matter how he changes up his team, Spiderman is always on point. In the last Kubodsgarden, he gained International attention after his first Top 4 performance.

Tsujikawa
Team: Magneto/Firebrand/Vergil

Also famous in the Blazblue community.
He never appears in videos, so there's a rumor that he's been saving a ton of tech and gimmicks for KVO.

DIE-Chan
Team: Firebrand/Morrigan/Vergil

Also a famous Guilty Gear player.
DIE-Chan is said to be the only player that uses Firebrand to the character's full potential.
While he hasn't yet appeared in videos, he did defeat Abegen in a tournament earlier this year so he's definitely not to be slept on!

That's it for today. Watch out for Part 2 tomorrow!

Top Bottom