• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of War sold ~ 400.000 copies on Steam in 7 days.

Knowledge is aqquired through research and studying, both things PhantomThief didn't do, he only spouted bullshit he saw in the internet without actually knowing how the game plays.

Dude you dont even know me, let alone know how much attention I have been paying to this game.

You are the one in here calling me out while having not a single damn clue who I am, what I do, what I care about and how much I've looked into this game.

I've tried to debate here with logic and reason, instead you are just ranting about how I supoosedly don't like the game, and I need to know how the game plays before I can call out bullshit lootboxes?

Ignored. What an annoying post you've made.

Dipper145

In this games particular case, the loot boxes are completely inconsequential and not needed. Especially the paid-for loot boxes, which serve no purpose based on my experience with completing the game.

However, I can certainly understand why people would not want to buy something because it has loot boxes in it. That's up to them, I don't think they need to give any reason to people why they would do that. But I also don't think it's fair to say that the game itself is bad just because of loot boxes.

Let me put it as simple as possible.

I dont need to taste poop to know something is poop.

So your argument falters.

fail-gif-shopping-cart.gif

And your counterpoint besides a nice gif of Scully? Or a gif of somebody falling? Great retort there buddy.

I know what I like and what I dont like. I dont need to sample something if I already know I dislike something.

I dislike lootboxes. I dislike f2p practices in 60 dollar games. I dislike locking content behind an online only wall.

Not saying I'm not gonna play the game because like I said it looks cool and I want to pick it up secondhand.

But why would I need to sample those mechanics to know I dislike them?

And your counterpoint besides a nice gif of Scully?

I know what I like and what I dont like. I dont need to sample something if I already know I dislike something.

I dislike lootboxes. I dislike f2p practices in 60 dollar games. I dislike locking content behind an online only wall.

Not saying I'm not gonna play the game because like I said it looks cool and I want to pick it up secondhand.

But why would I need to sample those mechanics to know I dislike them?
Oh that gif worked? Gifs won't load for me so I changed it haha.

Are you looking to criticize microtransactions? Or are you looking to argue the implementation of microstransactions in a particular game? If you want to do the latter, you need to have played the game to make any sort of worthwhile argument.

As has been said multiple times over, by many, many people; the implementation of lootboxes in SoW is non-intrusive.

But that isn’t even the same thing. I’m not sure why you’re doubling down on that others guys silly deflection. You should experience an interactive entertainment medium if you’re going to critique it as with most mediums. Just like people would expect you to read a book or watch a film if you’re going to give your say so on it. You’re making a disingenuous argument tbh.

If you just don’t like lootboxes, cool. You’re free to have that opinion, but I honestly don’t understand why you’re surprised that people would bring up your lack of experience with the game. It does matter.

Takuan

Wow, good for them. I'm kinda addicted to the gameplay loop. I start the game, see what's on my map, and complete a few while hunting every captain I encounter on the way. It's absolutely repetitive, and yet it doesn't get old for me. Loot boxes don't seem necessary at all.

How many lines of dialog did they record for captains? It can't all be unique, can it? I haven't heard a line repeated yet in probably 10 hours of gameplay.

Yeah, don’t get me wrong, I don’t support that kind of economy.

I learned this when I was writing my ma thesis on a video game that yet to be released. No one cares about mts or lootboxes. We Neogaf users -or any other “hardcore” gaming forum users- live in a bubble regarding these kinds of issues. We sometimes think that, after seeing hundreds of hate posts in a forum thread regarding some game’s shaddy businesses practices, people will boycott that said game but we are not the majority.

Great post, and I'll admit it can be jarring to me personally as a more "hardcore" fan of games that we care the most and matter the least. The bubble is a very real thing, even when you're aware of it.

But that isn’t even the same thing. I’m not sure why you’re doubling down on that others guys silly deflection. You should experience an interactive entertainment medium if you’re going to critique it as with most mediums. Just like people would expect you to read a book or watch a film if you’re going to give your say so on it. You’re making a disingenuous argument tbh.

Except games aren't books and movies, and you can get a great view on exactly what these lootboxes entail and how they are implemented.

I am not commenting on the game itself mind you, just the lootboxes and the online only content locked behind online.

Are you just willfully ignoring all the people who have actually played the game and given their impressions just for fun then?

No I haven't? What makes you think that?

Seems that he’s just ignoring people in general lol.

No I am not? Just because I'm gonna put that one guy on my ignore list which is still empty right now?

Are you just willfully ignoring all the people who have actually played the game and given their impressions just for fun then?

Seems that he’s just ignoring people in general lol.

Except games aren't books and movies, and you can get a great view on exactly what these lootboxes entail and how they are implemented.

I am not commenting on the game itself mind you, just the lootboxes and the online only content locked behind online.

They are an interactive medium nonetheless. Why should anyone consider your opinions on a system you’ve not experienced? How would you know more than someone who’s been playing and dealing with the system for 10-20-50 hours? Because you read it somewhere else?

What's your point then? "This game has loot boxes and I don't like that". Is that it?
It seems obvious it doesn't affect the experience of the game, so I'm not sure what you're actually trying to say.

The ๖ۜBronx;252284204 said:
What's your point then? "This game has loot boxes and I don't like that". Is that it?
It seems obvious it doesn't affect the experience of the game, so I'm not sure what you're actually trying to say.

If you've read my posts in this thread you would know what my point is.

I'm done with this dogpiling shit tho. Can't say anything bad about the implementation of lootboxes because I haven't actually played the game so I could have NO general opinion on it is what you guys are saying.

Enjoy this thread, goodnight.

Why?

I know what the lootboxes entail.

Evidently you don't entirely.

If you had played the game, you'd have realized that they're not a big deal whatsoever. At least, as concerns this game in particular. If you want to criticize microtransactions in general, then I'm not sure why you're doing it in a sales thread of SoW.

MUnited83

For you.
Dude you dont even know me, let alone know how much attention I have been paying to this game.

You are the one in here calling me out while having not a single damn clue who I am, what I do, what I care about and how much I've looked into this game.

I've tried to debate here with logic and reason, instead you are just ranting about how I supoosedly don't like the game, and I need to know how the game plays before I can call out bullshit lootboxes?

Ignored. What an annoying post you've made.

"logic and reason"
LMAO. Breh, I just called you out on how you did exactly zero research on the game and have spouted bullshit that has been refuted several days ago. Your response is "you don't know me, you don't know who i am"? LMAO.
Also i'd love for you to point out where i rant about you not liking the game. Like, literally all I did was point out that several of your posts here were actual,factually bullshit.

If you've read my posts in this thread you would know what my point is.

I'm done with this dogpiling shit tho. Can't say anything bad about the implementation of lootboxes because I haven't actually played the game so I could have NO general opinion on it is what you guys are saying.

Enjoy this thread, goodnight.
Don't be a coward when people call you out on you spreading misinformation and false facts.

May want to research your damn shit if you want to have actual arguments.

Wow, good for them. I'm kinda addicted to the gameplay loop. I start the game, see what's on my map, and complete a few while hunting every captain I encounter on the way. It's absolutely repetitive, and yet it doesn't get old for me. Loot boxes don't seem necessary at all.

How many lines of dialog did they record for captains? It can't all be unique, can it? I haven't heard a line repeated yet in probably 10 hours of gameplay.
If you use the same captain a lot for missions you'll hear a fair bit repeated. I have a guy who's suffix is "the unashamed" and he only has two mission initiation lines. However, I let that slide because I shamed him so much following his initial shame immunity that it's entirely believable that it's his coping mechanism.

Evidently you don't entirely.

If you had played the game, you'd have realized that they're not a big deal whatsoever. At least, as concerns this game in particular. If you want to criticize microtransactions in general, then I'm not sure why you're doing it in a sales thread of SoW.

Because the OP opened the thread with his mention about lootboxes. Modt of this thread is about lootboxes.

I know the implementation in this game isnt as bad as some of us feared. But its still a shitty move. But oh well like I said yall dont even read my posts and just jump to conclusions.

Enjoy your 'sales' thread guys.

The ๖ۜBronx;252284675 said:
No, that's the thing - I have and I don't. Sorry that asking you to actually put your point into a sentence was enough to make you turn tail.

Dude just stop this personal attack shit man. I am not turning tail. There is dinner on my table and Im going to eat it. I am also done with the dogpiling I am not interested in spending 30 minutes in here responding to people who dont read my posts. And if you did and dont understand, thats fine too. Just dont expect a response since Im going to eat now ok?

Jeesh, cant have a civil discussion without some personal attacks. Turning tail.. lol

I know the implementation in this game isnt as bad as some of us feared. But its still a shitty move. But oh well like I said yall dont even read my posts and just jump to conclusions.

Why? It hasn't impacted upon most people's enjoyment of the game and there appears to be no actual incentive to get them outside of just not wanting to play the game – which by all accounts it actually really fun.

Dude just stop this personal attack shit man. I am not turning tail. There is dinner on my table and Im going to eat it. I am also done with the dogpiling I am not interested in spending 30 minutes in here responding to people who dont read my posts. And if you did and dont understand, thats fine too. Just dont expect a response since Im going to eat now ok?

Jeesh, cant have a civil discussion without some personal attacks. Turning tail.. lol

Personal attack? What? You said you were leaving the conversation after I asked you to clarify your point.

MUnited83

For you.

You can stop having your meltdown. Dude asked you a simple question and now that's a personal attack? Holy crap.

You can stop having your meltdown. Dude asked you a simple question and now that's a personal attack? Holy crap.

How am I having a meltdown I am simply respondong to everyone's posts? This is exactly what I'm talking about. Why are yall so agressive?

Can we not discuss this in a civil manner eithout having 5 people jumping down your throat and flinging shit at me?

For the last time I am done with this "discussion". I am going to eat now. Have fun itt.

How am I having a meltdown I am simply respondong to everyone's posts? This is exactly what I'm talking about. Why are yall so agressive?

You were fine until I asked you to clarify your point beyond "This game has loot boxes and I don't like that" and then you threw a wobbly claiming you had to leave the thread, people were attacking you and you're, apparently, now eating dinner.

I just asked you to put your point succinctly as it seemed to be more than the above from the energy you were committing to it.

Matt

For all the complaints about SoW and loot boxes (which is a perfectly reasonable thing to complain about), this is a good result for the industry right now. If SoW had bombed it would have been another very unfortunate indicator for traditional SP games.

The ๖ۜBronx;252285632 said:
You were fine until I asked you to clarify your point beyond "This game has loot boxes and I don't like that" and then you threw a wobbly claiming you had to leave the thread, people were attacking you and you're, apparently, now eating dinner.

I just asked you to put your point succinctly as it seemed to be more than the above from the energy you were committing to it.

I think you can gather it fron my posts. Slippery slope is all Ill say and Ill finally leave you with that. Ffs guys. Trying to have a civil discussion here.

MUnited83

For you.

Can we not discuss this in a civil manner eithout having 5 people jumping down your throat and flinging shit at me?

For the last time I am done with this "discussion". I am going to eat now. Have fun itt.

I merely pointed out that you were spreading false info and that you should research better if you want to have a reasoned argument.

Is this something unreasonable to ask? Is this a "personal attack"? Why did you went batshit with accusations instead?
I think you can gather it fron my posts. Slippery slope is all Ill say and Ill finally leave you with that. Ffs guys. Trying to have a civil discussion here.
You're doing the polar opposite of civil discussion.

You've said this twice now, and I'll say it again; I have and I haven't managed to beyond this; "This game has loot boxes and I don't like that". Which is why I've been asking you to clarify what it is in addition to that for a few posts now, so we can better understand exactly what it is you're trying to say. This is trying to have a civil discussion, I've literally just asked you to clarify your perspective and you've been evading it since.

P1: "Do you mind clarifying your point, as it seems to just be this."
P2: "Read my posts and you'll see"
P1: "I have, and didn't get it, so if you could clarify that would be great"
P2: "I'm being attacked, I need to eat dinner, why can't you be civil?!"
P1: "I'm sorry? I was just asking you to clarify your point."
P2: "Read the thread. Why can't I just have a discussion?!"

Like, seriously bro.

This is the opposite of having a discussion. You're replying to questions by telling people to read through your older posts, when they've said they already have, giving some vague sentiment on your feelings (the exact opposite of what's been asked) and then abandoning the post because you feel victimized.

Takuan

I think I get where PhantomThief's coming from. While I don't think the loot boxes will generate much additional revenue for Monolith, you never know. If it's even moderately successful, it's all but guaranteed they'll go deeper. Looking at the travesty that is NBA2K18, that concern is very real.

If you use the same captain a lot for missions you'll hear a fair bit repeated. I have a guy who's suffix is "the unashamed" and he only has two mission initiation lines. However, I let that slide because I shamed him so much following his initial shame immunity that it's entirely believable that it's his coping mechanism.

I haven't even experimented with shaming. I know it's a thing thanks to that reddit clip featuring a moaner type, but I never thought to do anything but execute captains. I figured a quest would show me the mechanic. One might exist, but I haven't encountered it yet as I'm only in the second area and haven't done a single elf mission.

Just gleefully murdering captains.

Shaming is something that you have to do to captains above your level before you can force them to submit to your will. It'll be introduced through the main story. In fact, the early game is probably the weakest part because it eases you into the meat of the game hella slow.
I gotcha. Things have definitely gotten pretty easy for me, so I guess I'll stop getting distracted by the skulls on my map and continue with the main questline.

I haven't even experimented with shaming. I know it's a thing thanks to that reddit clip featuring a moaner type, but I never thought to do anything but execute captains. I figured a quest would show me the mechanic. One might exist, but I haven't encountered it yet as I'm only in the second area and haven't done a single elf mission.

Just gleefully murdering captains.
Shaming is something that you have to do to captains above your level before you can force them to submit to your will. It'll be introduced through the main story. In fact, the early game is probably the weakest part because it eases you into the meat of the game hella slow.

you haven't played the game, of course it matters how it's actually implemented, I'm halfway thru the game and don't see any reason why I would spend money on them, they have zero affect on my play expeience

This is the point that I keep trying to get across. If he doesn’t like them in the game, period, then that’s fair. That said, he’s not someone that can give an assement in how well implemented they are and it’s frustrating that he would argue this with people who have actually played the game who think they have no effect on gameplay.

I think I get where PhantomThief's coming from. While I don't think the loot boxes will generate much additional revenue for Monolith, you never know. If it's even moderately successful, it's all but guaranteed they'll go deeper. Looking at the travesty that is NBA2K18, that concern is very real.
If loot boxes are in a game, we should certainly be critical if they have a negative bearing on gameplay. If they don't though, it seems strange to condemn and slam the game because of the fear that they may do so in the future. When a company is catching shit for doing it well (adding in optional monetization systems that don't feel required to the end user) and then also when they do it negatively what incentive is there for them to care at all?

If you dislike loot boxes in general, aside from the specific case, then it seems somewhat redundant to go into every thread for a game featuring them proclaiming your dislike and ignoring the nuances of the situation applicable to the game in question.

mas8705

Going to be patient on this. I'm glad Shadow of War had a good launch (especially on PC since WB just loves to screw up the PC versions for one reason or another...). That said, Shadows of War will be one of those games I'll enjoy in 2018. Too many good games are coming out this holiday season and one can't play all of them without burning a hole in their pocket (that and I need to finish Shadows of Mordor first)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
ITT: Playing Shadow of War is a lot like eating poop

phant0m

Of course it didn’t, the new generation of gamers are growing up on Microtransactions and loot box offerings.

I’ll pick it up next year, not giving them launch cash.

Yep I will get this at $20. No time right now anyway between South Park, SMO and Destiny 2 PC.

ViciousDS

Banned
What a shame, wonder what the consensus will be when lootbox becomes more prevalent towards the later half.

nothing when all of us can cheat to get them and avoid the grind

talking the normal silver ones.....not the gold ones that require actual real money

Sami+

Or poking yourself in the eye depending on who you ask.

Lol. I picked up mordor because I haven’t seen my
Switch since my wife started playing stardew. Glad
I did as Mario is going to have to wait lol.

I don't like the game but that actually made me lol. 😂

The eating poop metaphor is a classic.

I don't like the game but that actually made me lol. 😂

The eating poop metaphor is a classic.

I love our community, but we can be something else at times lol.

I wouldhave thought the game would initially sell less because the last game dropped in price like a rock. If I recall, it didn't take long for Shadow of Mordor to drop to the $5-$10 range. At least thats why I haven't bought the game.

Was it that fast? I remember that being one of the only major games to play at that time. That and battlefield.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
If we're talking price drops this title is a prime candidate for a Black Friday sale.

Top Bottom