• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

Eila

So old news but Ys VIII is delayed until december. That's brutal. On the flip side they got a little bit of Durante, so maybe they will actually deliver something decent.

Jimrpg

So, guys, what do you think? Should I buy The Witcher 3 GOTY already?
It's kinda tempting because it's an awesome price, but I want to read all the books (I already finished the first one) and play the previous games before playing it and I don't know if it will ever be lower after that time span.
Opinions?

Just buy and start playing! I think the first game hasn’t aged well so just start with 3.

Also I don’t think it’ll get cheaper this holiday season, it’ll probably be 60% for the Nov, Dec sales.

zkylon

zkylewd
So, guys, what do you think? Should I buy The Witcher 3 GOTY already?
It's kinda tempting because it's an awesome price, but I want to read all the books (I already finished the first one) and play the previous games before playing it and I don't know if it will ever be lower after that time span.
Opinions?

the previous games are not necessary but they're very good and there's good payoff for playing them all

if i were you i'd buy witcha 1 and start there

I've tried playing The Witcher 1 and 2, but compared to 3 there's so much jank. 1 moreso than 2.

So I just sort of skipped them and watched some story catchup videos a while back.

Also, IIRC The Witcher 1 didn't want to play nice with my computer (technical issues), so that didn't help its case.

Would be pretty rough going back to the older games after 3 I think.

Essentially starting with 3 isn't necessarily bad though, the game gives you most of what you need to understand what's going on, it doesn't completely assume you're fully up to date with the lore.

zkylon

zkylewd
i mostly feel like witcher 3 is the culmination of a big story that's been building up over many games and just getting that feels like robbing yourself of that

it's super true that witcha 1 is pretty wonky but you can just play it on easy, the story and setting are both really good and the quests are really good so you can just enjoy that

witcha 2 is probably pretty playable and the story is also really unlike 1 and 3 and it just sets 3 up in a way that you would miss a lot of the gravity of the wild hunt and whatnot

it's kind of like mass effect 3 without playing the other two games, i'm really fond of those characters because i've grown to know them over many games and what happens to them matters a lot to me cos i feel like i know them forever. except unlike mass effect 3, witcha 3 definitely sticks the landing

Plesiades

i mostly feel like witcher 3 is the culmination of a big story that's been building up over many games and just getting that feels like robbing yourself of that

it's super true that witcha 1 is pretty wonky but you can just play it on easy, the story and setting are both really good and the quests are really good so you can just enjoy that

witcha 2 is probably pretty playable and the story is also really unlike 1 and 3 and it just sets 3 up in a way that you would miss a lot of the gravity of the wild hunt and whatnot

it's kind of like mass effect 3 without playing the other two games, i'm really fond of those characters because i've grown to know them over many games and what happens to them matters a lot to me cos i feel like i know them forever. except unlike mass effect 3, witcha 3 definitely sticks the landing

I haven't played The Witcher 3 yet, but after knowing a few details like characters and some locations... It's kinda crazy how good the build-up is.

There's a ton of stuff hinting at Geralt's conflict with the Wild Hunt in the first two games (more explicitly in Assassins of Kings). They even explain the "Amnesia" trope from the first game through that.

I would totally buy TW3 right now, but there's too much stuff to play :(

Jawmuncher

It is a new account (so new email) and I haven't done anything in FB....

You come to my house and asks for codes before even trying to get a code yourself?
You're lucky your part of the family. it wouldn't have gone so well for you if you were tied to the mozzarella boys down on the other side of city.

Sarcasm

Hey I don't use FB! I thought I would have one being signed up though TBH heh.

Crap they want to verify my phone number after buying, I don't even know what phone number that is.

** Okay it wasn't an actual number, they just filled a random one in.

How long does it take to send a SMS?

zkylon

zkylewd
I haven't played The Witcher 3 yet, but after knowing a few details like characters and some locations... It's kinda crazy how good the build-up is.

There's a ton of stuff hinting at Geralt's conflict with the Wild Hunt in the first two games (more explicitly in Assassins of Kings). They even explain the "Amnesia" trope from the first game through that.

I would totally buy TW3 right now, but there's too much stuff to play :(
i haven't read the books, but it's really well done how subtle it is in witcha 1, how it starts growing in 2 and it becomes the real shit in 3

3 spends a good while giving you conclusions for characters you met in 1 and 2, there's real care for these characters and this story

so yeah, while i think starting from 3 isn't awful or anything, if you want to get the most out of the witcher (and you do!) i think you have to play all 3

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I just bought an 8bitdo sfc controller for use with steam. I set it all up in the controller options, but now it just wants to continue to scroll down at a rapid pace nonstop. I tried to reset the controller and all that. What am I doing wrong?

Teggy

TEW2 is a neat thing. It is also not as scary (to me) as TEW1 and I don’t mind that.

I would love to play Divinity this year but the length alone is kind of daunting. What if I put 100 hours in and can’t beat the final boss? I have to play the first game anyway. I only am through the tutorial area on that one.

Jimrpg

A wild GPD Win 2 appears

I'm super stoked for this. The portable screenshot thread made me want a GPD Win as its way better than anything from the 3DS or Vita, and I love the Vita. With so many Vita games on Steam, i think this will be my new portable machine. My only concern is how how it gets, as the GPD Win was known to get hot, so I assume this will be the same. I've never had the Vita or 3DS get hot in my hands which I think is rather impressive.

My Steam library is seperated into Games and Older Games and i have a stack of stuff ready for a GPD Win device.

Makes me annoyed - I want a handheld PC for Steam games amongst other services, but I don't want to lose out on extremely unplayable mouse / keyboard oriented games when using the GPD solutions for it.

Make a Steam Controller integrated to it and I would be in

Meanwhile SmachZ looks questionable as hell, but has the controls sort of down...

URGH....

Definitely a down side, but there's still plenty of stuff on Steam that would suit the device.

It's pretty disappointing culmination-wise, though. Virtually every interesting plot threats dangling from the previous game is resolved by
"and then it doesn't matter because Nilfgaard conquered them/Radovid killed them anyway".

The bulk of the character arc is spend for people who don't even appear in the previous games, and the rest are pretty much "and thus, they continue on doing what they always do."

Except Dandelion. Dandelion's growth is pretty nice.

Parsnip

This sucked.

39A22C6F79AAE3695E511F514B917759F13CCA58

Jimrpg

What’s the world on price for GPD Win 2? If they can get around $300-$400 I would definitely buy one.

It's probably closer to between $400-500.

GPD Win 1 retails at about $300 and the SoC is significantly cheaper.

Last I head the GPD Win 1 SoC was only $30-40, but the GPD Win 2 SoC is $100-200 so that's going to increase the final cost by a bit. There isn't any other chip that can get the performance difference they're looking for to release next year, at the price of the Win 1 SoC.

I think the first one was reasonably successful enough that they have enough people wanting to buy the second even with a price increase.

The heat was pretty much the main reason I sold my GPD Win.

I will probably just be picky with the games I play on it, if its that bad. I find even the iPhone gets hot for games.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's pretty disappointing culmination-wise, though. Virtually every interesting plot threats dangling from the previous game is resolved by
"and then it doesn't matter because Nilfgaard conquered them/Radovid killed them anyway".

The bulk of the character arc is spend for people who don't even appear in the previous games, and the rest are pretty much "and thus, they continue on doing what they always do."

Except Dandelion. Dandelion's growth is pretty nice.
i don't think it that way, most of the stories from the other games are pretty self contained and don't show up in 3 because it's not needed. i appreciate tho how you get to see a lot of your favorite characters grow (or not grow) through the series, specially dandelion, zoltan and triss (even tho the triss-yennefer deal is kind of wonky in 3)

it's obviously not perfect for everyone but i felt really pleased with how much the witcha games respects its own characters, something i didn't see in say mass effect 3

It's probably closer to between $400-500.

GPD Win 1 retails at about $300 and the SoC is significantly cheaper.

Last I head the GPD Win 1 SoC was only $30-40, but the GPD Win 2 SoC is $100-200 so that's going to increase the final cost by a bit. There isn't any other chip that can get the performance difference they're looking for to release next year, at the price of the Win 1 SoC.

I think the first one was reasonably successful enough that they have enough people wanting to buy the second even with a price increase.

I will probably just be picky with the games I play on it, if its that bad. I find even the iPhone gets hot for games.

That's still not a bad price, I look forward to hearing some more about it.

i don't think it that way, most of the stories from the other games are pretty self contained and don't show up in 3 because it's not needed. i appreciate tho how you get to see a lot of your favorite characters grow (or not grow) through the series, specially dandelion, zoltan and triss (even tho the triss-yennefer deal is kind of wonky in 3)

it's obviously not perfect for everyone but i felt really pleased with how much the witcha games respects its own characters, something i didn't see in say mass effect 3

Oh yea I agree with you characterization-wise. They're a fun bunch and it's always pleasant to see them again. I was only talking from the point of view of "culmination", because I don't feel like they're actually building up towards anything. Zoltan is still Zoltan. The witchers are still a gruff bunch who could die as hard as they live. Triss is still the altruistic Geralt fangirl, etc, etc.

I shall admit I'm pretty miffed because all the choices I made in the second game seem like they'd lead to something, but ultimately didn't. [Witcher 2]
Oh my god Roche killed King Henselt is on the run with King Folstest's daughter? What would happen to them? What would happen with Temeria's lineage? Oh my god Pontar finally reached independence and is lead by a Dragon Queen? What would become of them?

Then Witcher 3 was all
"noo noooo all of those are not important. See all these uninteresting ethereal elves from another world? These are what we must focus on. Also the world is ending.

Sarcasm

Shoot them an e-mail if you haven't received anything. I received a message from them pretty soon after I signed up. It should be automated.

Yea I contacted them on FB and they said I need to send them ID verification. Even though my money went through.

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh yea I agree with you characterization-wise. They're a fun bunch and it's always pleasant to see them again. I was only talking from the point of view of "culmination", because I don't feel like they're actually building up towards anything. Zoltan is still Zoltan. The witchers are still a gruff bunch who could die as hard as they live. Triss is still the altruistic Geralt fangirl, etc, etc.

I shall admit I'm pretty miffed because all the choices I made in the second game seem like they'd lead to something, but ultimately didn't. [Witcher 2]
Oh my god Roche killed King Henselt is on the run with King Folstest's daughter? What would happen to them? What would happen with Temeria's lineage? Oh my god Pontar finally reached independence and is lead by a Dragon Queen? What would become of them?

Then Witcher 3 was all
"noo noooo all of those are not important. See all these uninteresting ethereal elves from another world? These are what we must focus on. Also the world is ending.
yeah i may oversold it a little bit, but i actually felt a grand sense of closure when playing witcha 3, which i feel is rare in videogames

i can see where you're coming from, but they didn't set out to close every thread and i think that was smart since they couldn't possibly made good on all of them

i am the kind of person that sees the journey before the destination so i really feel playing the whole series is very important, but specially so because of how good a farewell witcha 3 is to all those characters

Blu(e)

Yea I contacted them on FB and they said I need to send them ID verification. Even though my money went through.

Yeah sorry. Never had to do anything like that. If you don't want to send your ID just ask for a refund. Did you pay with paypal?

zkylon

zkylewd
considering buying the evil within on cdkeys since it's so cheap and i hear lots of people loving the second one

my friend liked it, but kind of hinted that i wouldn't

what do u guys think

Top Bottom