• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT11| Have Mercy

LiK

All weekly lootboxes got and it gave me another goth Zarya skin. Fuck. Buying the rest. Gonna be playing other games instead of grinding.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I had two people quit in a row yesterday cause they had to be Ana.

It's ridiculous. I never had this problem last year. Is the playerbase really just getting this bad?

its because ana could still have fun killing bots before

now shes the bot. the healbot

I've been so close to getting Reaper's 3 solo kills but then either someone kills me or it fucks up and I'm forced to reload :( But why!

ZugZug123

I do not know why, been in half a dozen games where the team just can't deal with a Bastion. Attack, defense, control point. Does not matter. as soon as the other team gets a Bastion my team falls apart and no one helps me kill the Bastion. Widows and Hanzos just keep trying to kill the other snipers. Very frustrating.

I do not know why, been in half a dozen games where the team just can't deal with a Bastion. Attack, defense, control point. Does not matter. as soon as the other team gets a Bastion my team falls apart and no one helps me kill the Bastion. Widows and Hanzos just keep trying to kill the other snipers. Very frustrating.
This is how most of my Mystery Heroes matches (on PS4) have been going. The team that gets a Bastion into position (it's always the other team) is hard to take down, especially when you don't carry any Ult charge over. And if we do manage to kill the Bastion, it seems like two more spawn in it's place.

MCD

We got destroyed yesterday by a Bastion, Orisa, Mercy combo.

It was disgusting. Sometimes we can't deal with it because we don't have flexible players.

These guys were masters too.

Cappa

Banned
Man, I still can't seem to get through Endless Junkenstien :(
On normal?

It was disgusting. Sometimes we can't deal with it because we don't have flexible players.

To be fair I've seen plenty of GM streams where one team was incapable of dealing with a bastion. Sometimes rein /Orisa /mercy /bastion combo is a bitch to deal with.

TrueBlue

I don't really like the idea of breaking the other supports. I think Ana needs a small damage/healing rate buff and Mercy needs to be nerfed but that's about it.

To buff them up to Mercy's level would make them extremely strong, and I tend to really dislike metas where nothing dies tbh

This is a good point. It'd be a hard balance to reach.

Despite what I said earlier, I'm fine with Mercy being nerfed as long as her playstyle stays the same.

Tabby

Last season I got 2400 with 6 wins and 4 losses.
This season I got 2600 with 6 losses and 4 wins.

This placement stuff is confusing.

Cappa

Banned
Last season I got 2400 with 6 wins and 4 losses.
This season I got 2600 with 6 losses and 4 wins.

This placement stuff is confusing.

Seasons 4-5 they purposely placed you below your average SR and gave you "bonus" SR in your first 20-25 games or so.

This season they changed it so it places you more or less around the SR you finished the season before with no "bonus" SR for your first 20-25 games.

Tabby

Seasons 4-5 they purposely placed you below your average SR and gave you "bonus" SR in your first 20-25 games or so.

This season they changed it so it places you more or less around the SR you finished the season before with no "bonus" SR for your first 20-25 games.

That makes a lot more sense.

Nobody wants to play Ana in Junkenstein.

I do but the one time I decided to play someone else, we sat in the character select for ages because everyone who came in left after they saw that only Ana was left.

I do but the one time I decided to play someone else, we sat in the character select for ages because everyone who came in left after they saw that only Ana was left.
Last night I left Junkenstein twice when faced with Ana, before switching to Mystery Heroes. I usually let others pick whomever they want before locking in anyway, but the last 2-3 nights it's almost always been Ana I'm left picking and last night I wasn't having it. There's no glory in picking her at the level I play: you're not gonna get most kills, you're not gonna get PotG, you're not gonna get card recognition, etc. What you ARE gonna get is McCrees finishing off zomnics before you do, Soldiers who heal only themselves, Hanzos who can't hit a darn thing while jumping in front of your shot, and everyone shouting "I need healing!" while they're spread out over the map leaving you to guard the door with your weak shots.

CaptNink

Last night I left Junkenstein twice when faced with Ana, before switching to Mystery Heroes. I usually let others pick whomever they want before locking in anyway, but the last 2-3 nights it's almost always been Ana I'm left picking and last night I wasn't having it. There's no glory in picking her at the level I play: you're not gonna get most kills, you're not gonna get PotG, you're not gonna get card recognition, etc. What you ARE gonna get is McCrees finishing off zomnics before you do, Soldiers who heal only themselves, Hanzos who can't hit a darn thing, and everyone shouting "I need healing!" while they're spread out over the map leaving you to guard the door with your weak shots.

LOL - this is so true. That was my two Junkenstein games I played last night as Ana.

antitrop

Tournaments on the latest patch are starting to be played and this meta is the same as the old meta, just with Mercy taking Lucio's place.

Mercy/Zenyatta/D.Va/Winston for Support/Tank with some combination of Tracer/Genji/McCree/Soldier76 for DPS is standard right now.

Zenyatta's ability to Discord the enemy Mercy and the combination of Discord and his own Mercy's Damage Boost makes him the preferred off-Support over Lucio.

ummm have a dva absorb bastion for the <2 seconds it should take to down the orisa shield then you win

antitrop

I beat the teams that passed on Adam from Cloud9 are kicking themselves.

Is he even still looking for a team? I see him just playing casual Quick Play all the time now and I played in a 6-stack with him last night. He doesn't even play Competitive, anymore.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
its because ana could still have fun killing bots before

now shes the bot. the healbot
I like playing Ana but her damage is just so bad now.

Whenever I land a sleep dart on someone, is it even worth the risk to do the damage nade combo anymore? I just run away and let someone else take them down now, because I don't trust myself to be able to secure the kill.

That's good to hear. I probably play less than 20-25 games per season, so most of my time each season is spent climbing back up to my old SR, and obviously feels like I'm just spinning my wheels.

I-hate-u

Is he even still looking for a team? I see him just playing casual Quick Play all the time now and I played in a 6-stack with him last night. He doesn't even play Competitive, anymore.

I think he is/was going from twitter.

He's one of the best shot callers/leaders to have on your team, and easily the best Mercy in NA.

antitrop

I think he is/was going from twitter.

He's one of the best shot callers/leaders to have on your team, and easily the best Mercy in NA.
I just figured he was burned out on the game competitively. I don't usually run into pros in QP, but I see him all. the. time.

I-hate-u

I just figured he was burned out on the game competitively. I don't usually run into pros in QP, but I see him all. the. time.

Hopefully on your team.

DMguJ0HX4AAswEf.jpg

https://twitter.com/WinstonsLab/status/921037252897267712

Never seen Lucio out of top 3 before. Also seeing Mercy higher than Ana physically hurts.

I bet the teams that passed on Adam from Cloud9 are kicking themselves.

He's a Massachusetts guy, and from he rumors going around the Boston based team is picking up a bunch of former Toronto Esports players because they are buddies with the GM rather than getting he best available players. I'm pretty disappointed if that turns out to be the case and they punt the first season on a bunch of mediocre players. Like, the guy is local and one of the best players in the game and you pass on him to hire your friend?

Nimby

Banned
Mercy and Lucio swapping places is a refreshing change to be honest. As long as Mercy can res people every 30 seconds, she will be a must pick. Res either needs a longer cast time or a longer cooldown.

Ana is also still a good pick at higher tiers. Ana + Mercy has always been cancer. So buffing her healing is definitely not a good idea. I'd bring her damage back to 75, and allow her to shoot through full health teammates to heal or damage other players. Or a more radical fix for the last issue would be to rework Ana so she switches between healing and damage. You'd switch weapon types like Mercy and Torb do but she can switch types instantly and not have to take time. This would let Ana be a lot more versatile, you could even make the heal hitboxes much larger/healing aim assist without making it harder to hit enemies.

Mercy and Lucio swapping places is a refreshing change to be honest. As long as Mercy can res people every 30 seconds, she will be a must pick. Res either needs a longer cast time or a longer cooldown.

Ana is also still a good pick at higher tiers. Ana + Mercy has always been cancer. So buffing her healing is definitely not a good idea. I'd bring her damage back to 75, and allow her to shoot through full health teammates to heal or damage other players. Or a more radical fix for the last issue would be to rework Ana so she switches between healing and damage. You'd switch weapon types like Mercy and Torb do but she can switch types instantly and not have to take time. This would let Ana be a lot more versatile, you could even make the heal hitboxes much larger/healing aim assist without making it harder to hit enemies.

this would be fine, the rest no

Shredderi

Does anyone know Roadhog's Hook combo's max damage potential as it is now? It happens too often that I pull a Junrkat etc. and shoot them plus insta melee and they don't lose over 60-70 hp and this on flat ground with the same horizontal level. That shit is so demoralizing.

Nimby

Banned
this would be fine, the rest no

Nah, if you think just that will fix Ana for 95% of the player base, you are sorely mistaken. Definitely won't fix her on console.

Edit: 75 damage makes it harder for Tracer to get in the back and do some damage. Tracer has no reason being picked as much as she does, she needs more people that can stop her from doing literally whatever she wants.

antitrop

Nah, if you think just that will fix Ana for 95% of the player base, you are sorely mistaken. Definitely won't fix her on console.
Ana has the lowest win rate of any hero on PC even, I think the time for having any hope of her ever being viable on console is well past.

She had a shit win rate when she was massively overpowered, too. It's just that over 99% of the playerbase lacks the mechanical skill to make her more valuable than Mercy.

I-hate-u

Edit: 75 damage makes it harder for Tracer to get in the back and do some damage. Tracer has no reason being picked as much as she does, she needs more people that can stop her from doing literally whatever she wants.

Blizzard will not let Ana be able to 2 shot Tracers.

OWL organizations paid 150k for Tracer mains, that character will not be touched otherwise OWL teams would literally go bankrupt.

umm its your responsibility to learn how to aim in a a first person shooter game. console versions of fps titles however should have their own separate balancing. on PC ana is mostly fine, tho being able to shoot through full health teammates would be good, especially considering how oversized the hitboxes are. that alone is already far more catering than should ever be done for dummys(on pc version)

as for mercy just fix her glitchy movement in the air when shes ulting. everything else is fine. or just fix the netcode, its only been almost 2 years now and its still trash

as for tracer her blinks recharge too fast. and she needs more damage drop off at various ranges. you dont fix her by buffing or nerfing other characters

genjis ult shouldnt reset his dash, nor should melee kills reset it. they also need to fix the consistency in terms of how many strikes they want you to be able to deal in its lifespan. his deflect should also not deflect heroes attacking him from the back or side

mcrees flashbang range is so long now, almost 10 meters, that needs to be lowered

soldiers heal station should heal slower and only heal himself

orisia main cannon should fire faster projectiles

hog should not be able to hook people and rotate to drop them off a cliff in some other direction. he should be able to reliably 1 shot 200hp or less heroes after he hooks them tho. however hook needs to be much stricter with its hitbox. there are so many bs freebie hooks right now its no wonder they dont want you easily 1 shotting people.

just some of my thoughts

I have yet to get a Halloween skin besides Junkenstein. Got an orange chest of money last night. I hate this game.

^^soldier healing thing should work in pulses. Keep the healing the same but make it so he has to wait for a small bursts instead of constant healing.

I dont understand why prestige people still dont want to do duo healer in ranked at this point of the game.

Mercy can be OP yet she can heal everyone

rulerk1

Back to diamond on my main now. i think legit hard carried a game today as Roadhog. Our widow/Hanzo wasnt hitting anyshots and died first most of the time. granted i was getting double healed pocketed but i was hitting the shots and hooking the targets.

umm its your responsibility to learn how to aim in a a first person shooter game. console versions of fps titles however should have their own separate balancing. on PC ana is mostly fine, tho being able to shoot through full health teammates would be good, especially considering how oversized the hitboxes are. that alone is already far more catering than should ever be done for dummys(on pc version)

as for mercy just fix her glitchy movement in the air when shes ulting. everything else is fine. or just fix the netcode, its only been almost 2 years now and its still trash

as for tracer her blinks recharge too fast. and she needs more damage drop off at various ranges. you dont fix her by buffing or nerfing other characters

genjis ult shouldnt reset his dash, nor should melee kills reset it. they also need to fix the consistency in terms of how many strikes they want you to be able to deal in its lifespan. his deflect should also not deflect heroes attacking him from the back or side

mcrees flashbang range is so long now, almost 10 meters, that needs to be lowered

soldiers heal station should heal slower and only heal himself

orisia main cannon should fire faster projectiles

hog should not be able to hook people and rotate to drop them off a cliff in some other direction. he should be able to reliably 1 shot 200hp or less heroes after he hooks them tho. however hook needs to be much stricter with its hitbox. there are so many bs freebie hooks right now its no wonder they dont want you easily 1 shotting people.

just some of my thoughts

lmao are you me. I agree with all of these tho i think Soldier still needs to heal his team

fhqwhgads

The Ana/Sombra/Doomfist situation is so upsetting. It's not like pre buff Torb/Bastion/Sym where they're legitimately bad, they're actually good characters where the risk/reward for using and mastering them simply isn't worth it. Why play Ana when you can play Mercy, why play Sombra when you can play Genji, why play Doomfist when you can play literally any other dive character. They need buffs ASAP.

Back to diamond on my main now. i think legit hard carried a game today as Roadhog. Our widow/Hanzo wasnt hitting anyshots and died first most of the time. granted i was getting double healed pocketed but i was hitting the shots and hooking the targets.

lmao are you me. I agree with all of these tho i think Soldier still needs to heal his team

I dont think any non support roles should be able to heal teammates

They are logical/reasonable tweaks. Im not a stupid 1 trick so i dont have the "zomg buff my hero and nerf all those i struggle against!!11!1" mentality

I dont think any non support roles should be able to heal teammates

They are logical/reasonable tweaks. Im not a stupid 1 trick so i dont have the "zomg buff my hero and nerf all those i struggle against!!11!1" mentality
I think That’s dumb. Every character in this game is a hybrid of some kind. They really need to remove the 4 classes and do it like HotS to remove this mentality

Blues1990

The Ana/Sombra/Doomfist situation is so upsetting. It's not like pre buff Torb/Bastion/Sym where they're legitimately bad, they're actually good characters where the risk/reward for using and mastering them simply isn't worth it. Why play Ana when you can play Mercy, why play Sombra when you can play Genji, why play Doomfist when you can play literally any other dive character. They need buffs ASAP.

Pretty much.

• Ana's not a good main healer because Mercy is required for that slot if the other team has a Mercy, and you can't run 3 support in a 6 player composition.
  • She's not an optimal off-healer over Zen and Lucio because she doesn't have a defensive ultimate.
  • Two main healers works okay but is not optimal as they cannibalize each other's ult charges and are lacking in defensive ultimate abilities.
  • She has no good damage as a trade-off, at all. She used to, but now she doesn't.
  • She can't heal through Winston's buffed (and much more persistent) shield, and was easily blocked by the presence of D.Va's old Defense Matrix (less so now but still happens occasionally). Every other healer, however, can.
  • Ana can heal faster than everyone else if uninterrupted, grenade uninterrupted and shooting at her target in perfect positioning with a lane of LOS where both her and her teammates are positioned perfectly for the duration of the incoming burst. Mercy can fly to nearby teammates to position herself to fly to and heal teammates out of line of sight, and can heal through walls for a short duration which can be refreshed very easily (this is why you can't out-heal a Mercy as Ana over the duration of a real match, the maps don't allow for quick re-positioning for Ana).
  • She's the only healer with reload down time, and the automated animation for unscoping -> pause -> reload -> pause -> rescope is almost 3 seconds long if you let your clip drain to 0 while you're scoped in. Meanwhile, Mercy can prevent a death over 3 seconds of uninterrupted healing, as can Zen and Lucio in many cases.
  • She takes the most skill of any other support to perform support tasks, for what payoff?
She has no place in the meta other than to play her because she's fun and has a unique kit. If you want to make her work well, you have to be insane with landing those shots and be okay with fighting an uphill battle. If she's your best hero, she's your best hero. But if you can play any support, you'd be silly to choose her over others with the intention of winning the match as best as possible. (Even the Korean players are finally dropping Ana for Mercy in GM.)

She needs to be able to heal through enemy shields (not damage, only heal), or get a damage buff to justify her secondary healer place, or be given a support ult rather than an offensive ult. Otherwise, Ana has no place in the current meta. She has to compete with the other healers for the two support slots.

Hopefully on your team.

DMguJ0HX4AAswEf.jpg

https://twitter.com/WinstonsLab/status/921037252897267712

Never seen Lucio out of top 3 before. Also seeing Mercy higher than Ana physically hurts.

Not only is the high variance in play time bad, but constant res from Mercy makes the fights way more chaotic and difficult to follow. I only got to catch a little bit of APAC today and it was kind of a mess.

And I swear to god if Adam can't find a team I'll set the league on fire myself. He's maybe the second best player in the main support (Lucio) role in all of the west.

I'm happy they seem to have finally found a decent balance with most of the DPS heroes. Doomfist still is behind, and Tracer ahead, but it seeing Genji, 76, McCree, Widow and Pharah all so close to each other is very encouraging.

Generally it feels like they're approaching a place where there's only certain niche characters that aren't straight up terrible but simply very specialized, finally. Obviously there's still changes to be made, but aside from Mercy and D.Va, I think this is the closest they've been to making this game fairly well balanced.

Top Bottom