• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

ST2K

I think you’re really in the minority here.

It's certainly possible. Likely, even. I'm an old fan, and the majority of their fans now seem to come from the Rooster Teeth extended family.

But that's OK. I'll express my dissenting opinion until it's clear they don't want anything to do with fans like me anymore. =P

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
It's certainly possible. Likely, even. I'm an old fan, and the majority of their fans now seem to come from the Rooster Teeth extended family.

But that's OK. I'll express my dissenting opinion until it's clear they don't want anything to do with fans like me anymore. =P

I've been a fan back from when they were just doing the GoG show in their back bedroom, and Kevin sometimes not speaking into his mic is such a minor thing that it doesn't bother me on bit tbh

Maybe if he was hosting the show, but he's just commenting on something in the background

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Nice.

Can someone explain to me gameovergreggy industries?
A week ago? Maybe two weeks ago on the Morning Show, Greg asked for a person to come in and delete people from his Friends List on PSN. He said he'd pay them 50 bucks and treat them to lunch. Nick jokingly asked if this was covered by the Kinda Funny budget and so Greg just said it was apart of his new venture, Greg Miller Industries as a joke. It then spiraled out from there.

A week ago? Maybe two weeks ago on the Morning Show, Greg asked for a person to come in and delete people from his Friends List on PSN. He said he'd pay them 50 bucks and treat them to lunch. Nick jokingly asked if this was covered by the Kinda Funny budget and so Greg just said it was apart of his new venture, Greg Miller Industries as a joke. It then spiraled out from there.

Cool, thanks.

Maximo

_5S3eP.gif

ST2K

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've been a fan back from when they were just doing the GoG show in their back bedroom, and Kevin sometimes not speaking into his mic is such a minor thing that it doesn't bother me on bit tbh

Maybe if he was hosting the show, but he's just commenting on something in the background

To be clear, I'm not losing my mind over Kevin not speaking into the mic. It's just a small thing that's been so ongoing and easy to fix it's easy to point out. If that was their biggest/only problem, then they'd be doing pretty darn well.

Ravelle

Why is Party Mode so tonally different than all the other good stuff they do? It seems like it's edited by the average YouTube Let's Player. Weird unnecessary cuts every couple of seconds, weird zooms and random pictures and sounds edited in. It seems really not like them.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Why is Party Mode so tonally different than all the other good stuff they do? It seems like it's edited by the average YouTube Let's Player. Weird unnecessary cuts every couple of seconds, weird zooms and random pictures and sounds edited in. It seems really not like them.

Think Andy edits that and I think they get the most views too

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I actually love that Party Mode feels totally different. It should be wacky and weird. The random edits Andy puts in crack me the f up. To each their own I guess.

I actually love that Party Mode feels totally different. It should be wacky and weird. The random edits Andy puts in crack me the f up. To each their own I guess.

I agree. Andy's edits are hysterical for me. I love the close-ups when someone's doing something weird with their facial expressions.

Also, the Kevn laugh x Gorillaz clip was just the best.

Ravelle

I'll give them a chance then, maybe I'll think different of them when I just embrace it.

That Max Landis GoG sure is something else, holy moly.

Some Nobody

Max Landis is my favorite internet person so this week (between this and Movie Fights) I've been a pretty happy guy. ^_^ I appreciate KF for asking him back.

mrk8885

Banned

Nah, I was thinking the opposite actually. It’s mainly the “old fans” who like that garbage truck on fire and don’t mind it all. Reminds us of the old days.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hot takes a few months in

- Not surprised to see Danny go. His schedule just wasn't ever gonna match up

- I don't mind them goofing around and going off topic.

- They don't always do the former well though. Sometimes it naturally flows. Sometimes you feel like they are just fucking around to an extent that hurts a show. Usually it's fine, but every once in a blue moon I do find myself being like can we get back on track

- As I feared for ME KFGD is too much content for me to keep up with. I tend to just listen when I can, but I just don't have the time to listen to an hour everyday especially with all the other podcasts I listen too.

- I sorta miss Beyond in that it was a weekly encapsulated thing that I knew I could get through

- I get that those are both personal and why having daily content works better for them as a business

- They don't always do the former well though. Sometimes it naturally flows. Sometimes you feel like they are just fucking around to an extent that hurts a show. Usually it's fine, but every once in a blue moon I do find myself being like can we get back on track

- As I feared for ME KFGD is too much content for me to keep up with. I tend to just listen when I can, but I just don't have the time to listen to an hour everyday especially with all the other podcasts I listen too.

- I sorta miss Beyond in that it was a weekly encapsulated thing that I knew I could get through

- I get that those are both personal and why having daily content works better for them as a business

This is similar for me. It's not a problem really, but I tend to only listen on days when I have a long drive or the topic is particularly interesting to me.

Following Danny's departure of GameSpot/founding of NoClip, I knew he was planning a move at some point or another.

Mezoly

Following Danny's departure of GameSpot/founding of NoClip, I knew he was planning a move at some point or another.

Because he is smart and not stubborn when it comes to his income. There is no reason to stay in SF if your income doesn't depend on staying there.

Because he is smart and not stubborn when it comes to his income. There is no reason to stay in SF if your income doesn't depend on staying there.

For NoClip especially, considering all the travel requirements. With Kinda Funny, I think if they made the same move as Danny (to Maryland), they'd not have the same video game industry guests we've come to expect. Perhaps the industry as a whole should shift away from SF.

Mezoly

For NoClip especially, considering all the travel requirements. With Kinda Funny, I think if they made the same move as Danny (to Maryland), they'd not have the same video game industry guests we've come to expect. Perhaps the industry as a whole should shift away from SF.

Yeah I think you are right. They might have some access with developer in LA where it's a little bit cheaper but not as much access to journalists.

Man, I really love Cooking With Greggy. The new Patreon episode where he makes
BBQ Ribs and Mac & Cheese
with Gen was great and the food looks awesome. I've never made
ribs
but it looks super easy with this recipe and I'm going to have to try it some weekend soon.

mrk8885

Banned
And he got mad when his fans told him to move on. Lol what a joke!

Yea. I’m general I’m bored with colin vs. KF drama and think it gets overblown.

But in this specific situation, to act surprised and annoyed that people are taking it as a not-so-veiled dig at KF is completely disingenuous. I surely don’t believe that the guy who preached “words matter” / “how you say things matter” didn’t know what he was doing as he made that tweet.

But alas I’m letting myself get sucked in again to posting about someone I don’t follow anymore. Moving on.

Oregano

Just watched yesterday's Game Daily where they discuss Unties/Sony Music and how they are destined to fail because they have no experience in the game's industry... Kinda funny considering they're the no.1 publisher in Japan.(pun intended)

JJH

I listened to my last KFGD podcast tonight as I was walking my dog. The mental gymnastics the crew goes through to defend all these loot boxes and now patents from Activision is truly remarkable. When Greg gets more upset about trophies than obvious predatory and exploitive practices I gotta question his integrity.

I listened to my last KFGD podcast tonight as I was walking my dog. The mental gymnastics the crew goes through to defend all these loot boxes and now patents from Activision is truly remarkable. When Greg gets more upset about trophies than obvious predatory and exploitive practices I gotta question his integrity.

I think that's a bit much. It seems more likely that he's just not someone who's going to sink money into loot boxes and has a hard time seeing it as exploitative.

Also, we don't have too many examples of game breaking loot boxes in the industry right now. High profile games like Destiny, Overwatch, etc are typically offering purely cosmetic loot boxes.

If Battlefront II launches with the system that was in the Beta (which they've already said it won't) and there's a bunch of whales running around in multiplayer with fully leveled star cards, a full suite of weapons, and all the heroes unlocked because they dropped a few hundred dollars on loot boxes right away, I'd expect most people's tones to change a bit more.

That having been said, a lot of people just don't care that there are loot boxes in $60 games. I sort of dance the line a bit. I get why they're exploitative and personally I'd rather publishers charge $80 for new games or see the industry go all digital at $60 games than keep seeing the F2P model creep into $60 games. But I also understand that budgets have steadily increased with the push for HD and now 4K asset development and prices and game sales figures haven't changed very much in that time frame. If publishers can't figure out a way to make more money from these games, we're heading for another crash and I don't think most of us want to see that happen.

So, at the moment, if that means publishers of online games are going to make things like outfits, skins, VO lines, emotes, etc part of a loot box system to generate more revenue, I'm pretty okay with it. Hopefully most publishers will avoid skewing the competitive balance with microtransactions and the market will react poorly (i.e. no buy the games) when they don't avoid it.

Mezoly

I think that's harsh. I think you could say they are a little bit out of touch with their audience considering how many people are upset at them. Lootboxes hasn't bothered me in a game so far, so in a way I'm glad that KF is not jumping on the bandwagon. However, my problem was with their logic on how to combat these lootboxes if you don't like them, "Buy BF2 and don't buy the Lootboxes so EA get the message" that logic was very appalling to me. Like how any of that make sense.

My controversial opinion about lootboxes is that it's the seasonal controversy that got traction by youtubers/influencers and if sales is any indication those people who are outraged are really in it for the drama, because they don't look like they affect sales one bit. They probably weren't planning on buying these games anyway.

Maximo

Probably will like Greg Whitta then he seems to take a harder stance on it.

Greg's PAX cancer panel is uploaded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dx0W0s9s2Q

I was half-expecting Greg to announce him as the replacement for Danny.

Yeah think they are trying him out, he may be problematic if is on set for films like star wars etc would be out for like 3 months so may make him not a good replacement Nick also made a joke about what his day rate must be after doing a star wars film, think Gary likes doing it and lives very local so who knows, but welcome him on any shows like the European represtentation

Mezoly

Anyone making a Kinda Funny OT on Reset?
I saw mattyg has an account there, if you have an account you could ask him.

Can any best friends sort me out with a Discord Era invite?
All the discords(at least the ones I'm in) are locked for invites. Even if they are open the closed Era registration from these discords. They are gearing toward open registration soon.

Top Bottom