• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolithsoft WiiU trailer - X (Takahashi x Tanaka x Sawano, Xenoblade x/multiplayer?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
aturjs.gif

Yeah, this was the exact part where I got hyped.

Multiplayer? Wooooow way to ruin the excitement almost immediately. Fucking hell this industry sucks.

If we're talking PSO-style multiplayer, I'll probably be ok with it. But yeah, that does instantly conjure up thoughts of sitting in a lobby for 20 minutes waiting to do the same mission for the 100th time, along with a completely throw away single player experience. I just can't believe they'd go that route.

For now, I'm guessing it'll be like Xenoblade with multiplayer drop-in.

duckroll

Guys, I have a scoop. The official title for this game will be announced at E3. It will be:

XENOGASM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait, I'm projecting again. Sorry. :(

le.phat

Monsterhunter x lost planet x phantasy star, with a sauce of the same futuristic fantasy anime crap we've seen a thousand times before. It boggles my mind how people can get excited for the exact same shit every.single.time.

duckroll

So Monster Hunter with mechas? So essentially a much better Lost Planet? :p

It's not really going to play much like Monster Hunter though. It's a Monolithsoft game, so it'll still be heavily stat based instead of good action. Even Disaster Day of Crisis was packed with RPG-isms. Plus, this is a Takahashi game, so expect tons of plot plot plot and longass cutscenes somewhere. And God.

eXistor

Please, PLEASE be single player. I don't care if it has local co-op, just be a single player game first and foremost.

Aeana

Monsterhunter x lost planet x phantasy star, with a sauce of the same futuristic fantasy anime crap we've seen a thousand times before. It boggles my mind how people can get excited for the exact same shit every.single.time.

They're excited because it's the next game by the person who made a game they liked a lot. One of the most highly-regarded Japanese RPGs in years.

Because its xenoblade 2\, have your played xenoblade? Its noting like the games you listed.

zoukka

lol

It looks amazing, deal with it.

Derrick01

Banned
If we're talking PSO-style multiplayer, I'll probably be ok with it. But yeah, that does instantly conjure up thoughts of sitting in a lobby for 20 minutes waiting to do the same mission for the 100th time, along with a completely throw away single player experience. I just can't believe they'd go that route.

For now, I'm guessing it'll be like Xenoblade with multiplayer drop-in.

It's definitely something I'll be paying really close attention to, because the game does look really good and almost worthy of a system purchase by itself. But if it's going to be boring MH style quests that are completely throwaway and too MP focused then I'm out.

Dude, mh and pso are awesome. And xenoblade was perfect.

And this has TRANSFORMING. MECHS. D= What more could you ever hope for??

Aeana

It's definitely something I'll be paying really close attention to, because the game does look really good and almost worthy of a system purchase by itself. But if it's going to be boring MH style quests that are completely throwaway and too MP focused then I'm out.

Just want to point out that Xenoblade already had boring quests, it doesn't need any help from MH!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Please, PLEASE be single player. I don't care if it has local co-op, just be a single player game first and foremost.

There are four players and assloads of round geometry on the screen.

I can't possibly imagine that working in local co-op.

That's almost assuredly online.

You guys need to watch the trailer again. There are two instances where you can clearly see two CPU controlled party members running up behind you and stopping at the exact same time. Not humans. CPU. Just like your party members in Xenoblade. Multiplayer will not be mandatory.

Effect

I really like that the fuel count for the mech goes down as soon as it's turned on. Which should happen even if it's just idling. Nice attention to detail.

Any multiplayer is likely optional in addition to the single player. I do think PSO and Monster Hunter are the two likely inspirations for it as there is a timer at the upper right and could be a quest timer like in Monster Hunter.

Hindle

Banned
How are they going to beat the Mechon when it comes to antagonists? They were so awesome, gah so many questions.

This just jumped up with W101 and Bayo 2 to force me to seriously consider a WiiU again, yeah.

Just want to point out that Xenoblade already had boring quests, it doesn't need any help from MH!

Lol, yeah well, good point.

duckroll

The director Tetsuya Takahashi is not a person who will make a game which is MP focused without a story. There will definitely be lots of mundane MMO style fetch quests, because Xenosaga and Xenoblade had those too. They're basically the worst part of the game, and usually optional (but not if you're a completionist).

Monolithsoft's forte is in making large scale RPGs with lots of thought put into the worldview and locations, lots of history in the story, and quasi-philosophical anime sci-fi storylines. Also, this game will certainly have a bunch of HD towns and cities! Lol.

UberTag

I'm buying a Wii U because of this game.

GJ Nintendo.
I am too... BUT you need to be smart about this.
Buy a Wii U because of this game ONCE this game is out.
NOT beforehand.

You'll be kicking yourself once the price cut happens.

Ultimately what this title proves is that Nintendo is going to have no problem competing with next-gen HD systems even if they are just delivering 1st-party IPs and collabs with other studios.
That's really all they need. Nintendo will be fine. Just like they were this gen.

Hero

The director Tetsuya Takahashi is not a person who will make a game which is MP focused without a story. There will definitely be lots of mundane MMO style fetch quests, because Xenosaga and Xenoblade had those too. They're basically the worst part of the game, and usually optional (but not if you're a completionist).

Monolithsoft's forte is in making large scale RPGs with lots of thought put into the worldview and locations, lots of history in the story, and quasi-philosophical anime sci-fi storylines. Also, this game will certainly have a bunch of HD towns and cities! Lol.

RIP Square-Enix, long live Monolith Soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom