• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS launches June 16

nightside

Looks like the different characters will not only have their special moves (like different dash and stuff) but really different fighting mechanics. And the different combinations of weapons can only add depth. And the fact that weapons are elements based? Cool.

Lingitiz

They fucked up by promoting it at the biggest annual gaming event days before it launches?

By that time it should already have reviews out there and plenty of information so we know exactly what the game is. They don't need to spend valuable time on it during E3 when all of the information is already known and we just want to play the game at that point.

DKL

Looks like the different characters will not only have their special moves (like different dash and stuff) but really different fighting mechanics. And the different combinations of weapons can only add depth. And the fact that weapons are elements based? Cool.

My only worry is if it will all be busted or not, but that's nothing that patching can't fix...

(maybe... Capcom kinda dicking around in SFV lol)

I'm this sure electric will be used for combo setups (and thus will always be one affinity being used in decent level play), but then maybe there will be anti-hit tech in place to prevent exploits...

I'm super curious about the game now lol

June is later than I would have liked, and placing it in E3 week when people are dumping their money on far-off pre-orders is... an interesting move, but MK8D and Minecraft will carry the system through May. I think it's fair to say, however, that the Switch's first three months make it look rather starkly like a Wii U port destination, at least on the first-party front.

Well, at least I might actually have time to fit in FE Echoes in May.

I was interested in Arms from the start but was hesitant about its value proposition. The elemental layer of the loadout customization and the single-player target practice go a long way towards persuading me that this game won't just wear off right away, but I think we still need to hear about a more robust single-player/offline experience, even if it's just a standard arcade/season mode where you fight the CPU through the whole roster.

Very interested, though, and Minmin cemented my complete faith in the character design and art direction. This was also our first confirmation that all weapon types would be available to all characters, too, contrary to the limited selection in the early Switch demos.

TZchassis

they should've showcased many characters and maybe kept 1 or 2 for a trailer before release, as well as the different modes and stages in the game. The spent so much time on the fight (to showcase the depth, which I think they failed to do) and saved the interesting stuffs (2v2, stages) for the last 10 seconds.

Minmin design is 10/10 though

Crayolan

Hopefully they have a direct dedicated to ARMS in May so they can show off the single player.

Guessing the full roster will be around 10 characters with maybe 1 or 2 hidden unlocks.

extralite

I called it releasing after E3. No way it was gonna release in May, too close to MK8D.

It was announced as a spring release back in January though. It also was the game that made me want a Switch. It was the return to motion controls in a major way I had hoped to see from them. For sophisticated controls in a core game no less (on Wii most of the motion titles were for casuals).

I got my Switch for ARMS. Though I got it at launch for Zelda. Would have been silly to buy that for Wii U when I knew I was getting a Switch soon for this.

Phamit

By that time it should already have reviews out there and plenty of information so we know exactly what the game is. They don't need to spend valuable time on it during E3 when all of the information is already known and we just want to play the game at that point.

They could talk about post-Launch support at E3, even then I doubt it will take a lot of time

JoeInky

69144159ab.jpg

2 new characters in the bottom right of the trailer at 01:17, looks like a woman character and a robot.

JoeInky

So are most of the characters in this game cyborgs or clone things then?

c9ba9b3184.jpg

They all have swirl eyes except for mechanica, who's in a mech. Plus there's that one lab level that looks like it has blank arms characters in the test tubes.

SalvaPot

min-min-arms-switch-730x411.jpg

Fanart is starting to pop-up, I might make a thread about it.

Also I think this game will heavily benefit from a testfire (Warm-Up Match?), this is one of those games that you need to feel to truly appreciate.

RaidenZR

I'm hoping for at least 8 characters total. Maybe more for DLC or something, but this game needs 8 minimum, a-la original SF2.

Roo

Fiddled with it in Photoshop.

Lxsc7kC.png

Wonder how long it'll take Nintendo to remove/change that specific scene.

They did that back when we were still learning about Smash Bros and they accidentally confirmed Ganondorf by showing him inside one of the bubbles when characters are off stage/camera.

B00TE

Fanart is starting to pop-up, I might make a thread about it.

Also I think this game will heavily benefit from a testfire (Warm-Up Match?), this is one of those games that you need to feel to truly appreciate.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. Really sad I wasn't able to play it at PAX East but the Nintendo booth was miserable.

Top Bottom