• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try the first two Sonic games on the MD—you'll get a taste of Slow Sonic and Fast Sonic, all with a great level of polish and technical refinement unheard of him Sonic games today.

I miss when Yuji Naka actually programmed his games. We should be thankful that he's always been a great designer, if Ivy the Kiwi isn't a fluke.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hey guys—listen to this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T3GurhJ9Pk

It's Sonic CD in FM synth! YES! And it's actually good this time around! Here's Sonic Adventure in FM! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u4djSaYNbQ

hnggggg
The Collision Chaos ones are pretty good. I want them to get up to Quartz Quadrant and Wacky Workbench, since those are my favourites. I thought using the Michael Jackson soundbyte was quite clever.

This is my favourite Wacky Workbench remix/arrangement.

Seven Force said:
...Someone made a 2D version of 06?
Yeah, and I'm very tempted to try it out myself.

daffy

Banned
I never know what to talk about in these things.. ehh gulp. I've been watching the anime, on Netflix.. I find it enjoyable in a rekindling kind of way.. Well. Hello SonicGAF.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wanna help out maybe but I can't.
9KUZF.gif

Okay, so I'm looking at some videos of that 2D Sonic 06 game, and part of me is like "lol Sonic 06" and the other part is a tiny bit impressed at how faithfully shitty faithful the level design is to the original, however abysmal it was.

I wanna help out maybe but I can't.
9KUZF.gif

I know what the words "open" and "source" mean, but when you stick them together my mind goes blank and the loading screen from Sonic 06 pops up.

I don't really know where I'm going with this, except that I don't know what in the world you are talking about.

qq more

Well now that we have a Community thread, I can finally post these WIP Sonic backgrounds I've been working on a while ago. I'm not really planning to do anything with these but it's just something fun to do. (And yes, they are based on the Game Gear titles)

Green Hill Zone (Sonic 1):
ghzgg.png

Gigalopolis Zone (Sonic Chaos):
gigapoliszone.png

I guess you can consider this fanart? (Positive fanart at least!)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I know what the words "open" and "source" mean, but when you stick them together my mind goes blank and the loading screen from Sonic 06 pops up.

I don't really know where I'm going with this, except that I don't know what in the world you are talking about.

1. Copy+paste OP into a document at docs.google.com.

2. Click share and make publicly editable.

3. When there are changes, review them, copy the doc and edit into the OP.

It's so easy, a Gravijah could do it.

Sciz

Picked through all the music links, they're still alive and well. Now go, listen. Listen to at least one you're completely unfamiliar with, not least of all because those tend to be the tracks that show off the composer's range.

i love these youtube videos with only the bass & percussion

flying battery zone

These are amazing.

I keep re-reading the first post. Such great work by everyone. Seriously, thanks a bunch.

I'll take any flimsy excuse to spend another couple thousand words raving about the series' music I can get.

qq more said:
Green Hill Zone (Sonic 1):
This is really nice. Like what the series might've looked like as a 1993 PC title.

Ithil

No mention of the UK's Sonic the Comic series in the comics section?

That ran for at least five years and hundreds of issues if I recall, with entirely its own continuity.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So, I'm playing Sonic Unleashed Wii, and I can't help but to go back and compare some of it with Sonic Unleashed HD.

I just want to say that Adabat is so damned beautiful. God, the lighting and environmental design is exquisite. All of the environments in this game are beautiful (ex: Chun-nan, Apotos, Shamar), but Adabat really stands out to me. A nice, but very muddy-looking video comparing both the HD and Wii versions is here.

So pretty. :3

10zmd0okpl.jpg
pamzdbvjsx.jpg

h52uplujh8.jpg
qaydv8ikf0.jpg
5shkqrhj8x.jpg

(I don't have a capture device so I can't use images of my own, but my goodness, the lighting and colour palettes chosen sync so well.)

qq more said:
Gigalopolis Zone (Sonic Chaos):
This looks really nice. Too bad SEGA doesn't seem to be enthusiastic to update the SMS/GG games and put them up for DD.

Gravijah said:
i love these youtube videos with only the bass & percussion

flying battery zone
Oh my goodness. Bedtime music. ^_^

I keep re-reading the first post. Such great work by everyone. Seriously, thanks a bunch.
I was happy to take part. :D

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I picked up the Ultimate Genesis Collection last week an finally managed to pry myself from Skyrim long enough to play it today. Having a great time with the Sonic titles and everything else. I think I'll likely pick up Sonic CD on XBLA too. I was a Nintendo kid during the 80s and 90s until I switched to PC gaming in the 00s, so it's nice to see what I missed out on while I was fooling around with Punch Out!!, Excitebike and Super Mario 3. I remember thinking the Sonic & Knuckes logo was the most bad-ass thing ever though.

Kind of wish Nintendo would go third party so I could get a nice collection for 20$ from them aswell. Greedy me.

NTom64

Yeah, and I'm very tempted to try it out myself.

Don't waste your time, it's really not as great as it sounds. Played it myself the other day, it's pretty much just Sonic's story in 2D. No cutscenes, physics are about the same but the level design is extremely dumbed down to suit the 2D gameplay. Level gimmicks are kind of hit and miss, too. The plants in Tropical Jungle don't even light up when you're supposed to jump, so you kinda have to just guess and I lost about 10 lives or so just trying to finish the damn level.

Silver's boss fight is actually worse in 2D, if you can believe it. The only boss fight that truly works in 2D is the Egg Wyvern, which was surprisingly fun. If you want to try it, be my guest, but you're probably not going to enjoy it lol

Kokonoe

Banned
Also, speaking of Sonic 2006, I watched pokecapn's runthrough of the 2D version of Sonic 2006 last night. I'd say that the level design is pretty accurate, and when you put all of the 3D stuff into the 2D perspective, you get a lot of "nothing" going on most of the time, which is interspersed with Sonic busting up enemies. Compare with the 2D games and most recent Sonic games, the stage design is a lot more creative, and don't merely serve to look pretty.

I just downloaded that 2006 2D and I can say it's almost as frustrating as the actual game itself. I made it to the snow level, but that's when I decided to stop playing heh.

0 HP

does anybody remember that song that used to play once an episode on AoStH? it was like an upbeat boss music type song. im trying to find it on youtube to no avail

Sciz

No Rooftop Run Day in the music selection. Bah, I say. BAH.

Only because the Generations mixes both embarrass the hell out of the original, great as it was. At the time I didn't know who the remixer was, so they didn't make the list. If I redid it today knowing that Ohtani remixed his own stuff, Crisis City Act 2 and Rooftop Run Act 2 would both be on there without a second thought. So would Emerald Beach and maybe Cyber Track Act 2 for Tokoi.

edit: Okay, and the other reason is because it was in Generations and the music selections are all hipster and tailored towards tracks that aren't widely recognized when I could swing it.

Lijik

Don't waste your time, it's really not as great as it sounds. Played it myself the other day, it's pretty much just Sonic's story in 2D. No cutscenes, physics are about the same but the level design is extremely dumbed down to suit the 2D gameplay. Level gimmicks are kind of hit and miss, too. The plants in Tropical Jungle don't even light up when you're supposed to jump, so you kinda have to just guess and I lost about 10 lives or so just trying to finish the damn level.

Silver's boss fight is actually worse in 2D, if you can believe it. The only boss fight that truly works in 2D is the Egg Wyvern, which was surprisingly fun. If you want to try it, be my guest, but you're probably not going to enjoy it lol

Much like the game it was based on, its better to just watch the pokecapn n crew LP and call it a day.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If I redid it today knowing that Ohtani remixed his own stuff, Crisis City Act 2 and Rooftop Run Act 2 would both be on there without a second thought.
<3

Ah well. We wrote most of this stuff early on, so that sort of thing couldn't be helped.

NTom64 said:
Is it because the 2D plane makes it more difficult to evade Silver's attacks? :lol

I guess I'll play it out of interest and tack impressions into Anth0ny's LTTP Sonic 06 thread... after I'm finished my playthrough of FFMQ.

Hopefully we can get some stage and music DLC...right SEGA? :(

We won't, probably, as it would divert human resources from the other Sonic game in the pipeline.

Great work on the Community Thread. Seeing Sonic X hits a nice nostalgia spot for me. I always wanted to see a fourth season. But of course, if we got that, then we would get more of this horrible creature.

018chris.jpg

Oh lord, what a horrible character.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The only thing I hope for the next Sonic game is to see Knuckles and Tails playable again.
If part of Sonic 4 Episode 2's selling point is Tails, I wouldn't be surprised if an eventual Episode 3 would feature Knuckles.

Hitoribhoshi said:
you guys will prolly hate me for this but I gotta say Hideki Naganuma did the best sonic songs :p
I wouldn't agree, but you're right in saying that the Rush soundtracks were awesome.

I have such conflicting thoughts on Wave Master's amazing selection of Sonic sound producers, but I know that this instrumental version of "Deeper" reveals some of the more interesting instrumental aspects that Tomoya Ohtani showed even on his first project: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tjq1iVYiiE

Man oh man is that a hot beat. The percussion sparks and sounds like an ensconced torch crackling in the dark, while all of that soothing sound-work from Jun Senoue is working in tandem with that amazing, misty synth-work. And that sax—man, that's just great to listen to, especially when we get to the middle section, where trombone and baritone sax take over. Tomoya's definitely got an unearthly talent with jazz-hop, and it's no wonder that it's most of what he does.

TheOGB

Banned
you guys will prolly hate me for this but I gotta say Hideki Naganuma did the best sonic songs :p

Why would we hate you for saying something arguably true

I don't agree, mainly because he hasn't done enough music for the series. Need more Naganuma soundtracks in this piece

Gravijah

the more i think about it, i think i'd say sonic the hedgehog 1 has the absolute best overall soundtrack in the series. every single song in the game is amongst the best in the series.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
the more i think about it, i think i'd say sonic the hedgehog 1 has the absolute best overall soundtrack in the series. every single song in the game is amongst the best in the series.

It has the best song for sure. I give you that.

Lijik

I don't agree, mainly because he hasn't done enough music for the series. Need more Naganuma soundtracks in this piece

We need more Naganuma in general.

Its a bad era in video game music when I legitimately consider importing the soundtrack to some old, obscure japan-only soccer game because I'm starved for fresh Naganuma tunes and I know he did like one or two.

I could never stand Marble and Scrap Brain's tunes. Both boss themes are best in class though. Green Hill and Spring Yard are also amazing.

I'd give best overall soundtrack to Sonic 2. Best quality-quantity ratio imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom