• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Calmine

If you want to play it now, then have at it. There's a ton there to like even if it has flaws.

However if you have other stuff you're playing now and could wait for a while, I'm sure it'll be even cheaper later in the year.

But I for one loved it and played 70 hours at launch prepatch and it's my current GOTY.

Thank you for the input. I've gone ahead and picked up. They have they the Deluxe Edition for £24. So why not. Having Origin discount was handy.

prag16

Banned
I was on gamefly and realized that this was already out.. then I looked at the reviews :(
Don't dismiss it out of hand sight unseen. It has a lot of positives, and they've been dealing with some of the negatives via a series of patches. I'm in the minority the but it's my YTD game of the year.

If / when you play it just be sure to largely ignore the "additional tasks" quest category. You'll thank me later.

Thank you for the input. I've gone ahead and picked up. They have they the Deluxe Edition for £24. So why not. Having Origin discount was handy.
If you're playing on PC, here's a list of mods I highly recommend:
Free Remnant Decryption Keys (1000x)
Road Rage (increased Nomad collision damage to enemies)
Materials for Sale (all crafting materials can be bought on the Tempest for free)
General Augs Rebalanced (full disclosure: I made this mod - sets a wide variety of augments to give 10% bonuses to weapons/gear)
Weight Cooldown Bonus (brings back ME3's less weight = faster cooldowns mechanic)
Hyper Mobility (better sprint speed, better jump height & distance, might get you stuck on invisible geometry)
Squadmates Damage (buff to squadmate stats so they're less useless)
No Profile Switching Cooldown (switching profiles doesn't cause all abilities to cooldown)
Shut Up SAM (Reduces SAM chatter about environmental hazards)
Cheap Research (Reduces research costs by 75-80%}
Research No Level Requirements (Actually build the highest tier stuff without going into New Game Plus or tons of grinding)
Shorter Landing and Departure Cinematics (Cuts most of these cutscenes down to sub-10 seconds)
Increased Weapon Range
Faster Kadara Doors
Nomad Top Speed Increase (Now it peaks at 200 km/h)
Ultimate Camera FOV mod
DS4 Buttons

Tools you should have:
MEA Recovery Tool (let's you revert changes if modding causes problems)
Frosty Mod Manager (lets you run mods in a nice UI, remember to double click the mods on the list to the left)
MEAExplorer Ansel DLLs (download them & stick them in the MEA game folder so the mods will actually work)

Edit: You don't need the DLLs with Frosty Mod Manager.

Cornbread78

Damn strike team trophy...

I leveled up 2 separate teams past lvl 20 on the Apex mobile app, but when I go into the game, it won't pop the trophy for me... uughh

daninthemix

So I guess I was just following the main quest - the game ended and credits rolled after not more than 8-10 hours of playing. I was surprised.

Suppose I'll go and explore now.

daninthemix

OK, done the main quest. Done all five (was it five or four?) outposts, so have explored all the main planets a decent chunk.

Is there any other content that's particularly worth doing? Because otherwise, I feel like I've had my fill of the game.

pmj

Damn strike team trophy...

I leveled up 2 separate teams past lvl 20 on the Apex mobile app, but when I go into the game, it won't pop the trophy for me... uughh

I think this trophy is bugged, and that you need to let the leveling up happen in the game in order for it to pop.

The multiplayer portion of the game has a lot of bugged/ill-designed UI and stat stuff and I keep hoping that they'll fix it in a patch, and retroactively give you the rewards you're owed. Nothing so far though.

OrionX

So I had this game sitting on my shelf for a while but held off on playing it because of all the negativity and goty Persona 5. Anyway I just finished it and I basically feel exactly the same as I did about DA:Inquisition, which is actually a good thing in my case lol. I know it has flaws but I totally loved it. I didn't play until after update 1.08 though so I'm sure it's been significantly improved since launch.

Combat was fun, the explorable worlds were beautiful (though I would've preferred more worlds with smaller areas), and I enjoyed the characters overall. Favorites were Drack, Jaal and Peebee. Also Reyes is amazing and he deserved Liam's "male human" spot on the squad.
Ryder: "Why did you come here Reyes?" Reyes: "To be someone." ;_;
It definitely felt like a Mass Effect game to me, and I enjoyed the exploration/Nomad driving way more than in ME1. I know some people really don't like all the little sidequests, but I enjoyed them for the most part and appreciated that most of them actually did have a story to tell, though it should be noted that I have a high tolerance for things in games that others consider a waste of time. :p

I would say I'd like a sequel to this game, since it left the door open for more, but I obviously don't expect one after all the negativity and Bioware putting their eggs in the Anthem basket. It's really a shame because I love sci-fi games and have pretty much no interest in multiplayer stuff, so I really hope Mass Effect gets another chance in the future.

JMY86

So I had this game sitting on my shelf for a while but held off on playing it because of all the negativity and goty Persona 5. Anyway I just finished it and I basically feel exactly the same as I did about DA:Inquisition, which is actually a good thing in my case lol. I know it has flaws but I totally loved it. I didn't play until after update 1.08 though so I'm sure it's been significantly improved since launch.

Combat was fun, the explorable worlds were beautiful (though I would've preferred more worlds with smaller areas), and I enjoyed the characters overall. Favorites were Drack, Jaal and Peebee. Also Reyes is amazing and he deserved Liam's "male human" spot on the squad.
Ryder: "Why did you come here Reyes?" Reyes: "To be someone." ;_;
It definitely felt like a Mass Effect game to me, and I enjoyed the exploration/Nomad driving way more than in ME1. I know some people really don't like all the little sidequests, but I enjoyed them for the most part and appreciated that most of them actually did have a story to tell, though it should be noted that I have a high tolerance for things in games that others consider a waste of time. :p

I would say I'd like a sequel to this game, since it left the door open for more, but I obviously don't expect one after all the negativity and Bioware putting their eggs in the Anthem basket. It's really a shame because I love sci-fi games and have pretty much no interest in multiplayer stuff, so I really hope Mass Effect gets another chance in the future.

I really enjoyed my time with Andromeda despite it's flaws and little bit of jank. I thought all the squad mates were great except for Liam. I think Drack and Vetra were the standouts but I really liked Peebee, Jaal and Cora as well. The quest design could have been better but the combat is fantastic and the story was solid. If not for Persona 5 ME:A would definitely be in the running for my GOTY.

Cornbread78

OK, done the main quest. Done all five (was it five or four?) outposts, so have explored all the main planets a decent chunk.

Is there any other content that's particularly worth doing? Because otherwise, I feel like I've had my fill of the game.

Nah, your good once you complete all the outposts. Side missions will bring you to the others you may need

Kaji AF16

What I had seen of the game before launch made me believe that something was very wrong with its design. My love for the previous three games was stronger, however, and I ended up preordering the most complete digital edition for Xbox One at the last minute.

Having completed the main story and a good chunk of the optional content, my 67-hour experience with Andromeda has been bittersweet. Most quests were bland IMHO, and the already legendary technical problems were evident during all my playthrough, but some dialogues and the sheer scope of the game´s premise made it ultimately worthy of my time.

As a complete package, it is a much less ambitious and intelligent game than its predecessors, but among the ruins of Andromeda´s commercial and critical failure there are some obscure vestiges of what made Mass Effect so interesting.

I look forward to a
n unlikely
return to form.

OrionX

I really enjoyed my time with Andromeda despite it's flaws and little bit of jank. I thought all the squad mates were great except for Liam. I think Drack and Vetra were the standouts but I really liked Peebee, Jaal and Cora as well. The quest design could have been better but the combat is fantastic and the story was solid. If not for Persona 5 ME:A would definitely be in the running for my GOTY.

Yeah, like at times I'd start to think Liam was alright but then he'd do/say something that made me take two steps back, especially when I got to his chats with Vetra in the Nomad. I mean,
it's not uncommon for party members to dislike each other in Bioware games but those two were straight up out for blood lol, and it was mainly because Liam was being a total ass.
I think they were going for overly naive/idealistic with him, but it came across as annoying and arrogant at times.

I'm sure this isn't a new complaint but my main issue with the story was the Kett. They're
basically baby Reapers. And the Archon was a cartoon villain. Much like Coryphenus from DA:I, I never saw him as an actual threat, even when he basically had Ryder's life in his hands. I was extremely disappointed that Ryder didn't get to put a bullet in him after having to put up with all his tired speeches.
One thing I liked about the story was the focus on AI. In the original trilogy my Shepard was much less trusting of AI, for obvious reasons, but I was surprised by how much I came to trust SAM in the end, although
it is rather unsettling that SAM can stop Ryder's heart for lolz whenever he feels like it. Still, for some reason I totally believed him when he said he wouldn't.

prag16

Banned

If you haven't completed the loyalty missions, do so. Otherwise nah you're probably good.

daedalius

So they haven't come out and specifically said this game won't get any DLC right?

I'm still holding out hope we get some single player stuff on par with the original trilogy...

daninthemix

Anyway I just finished it and I basically feel exactly the same as I did about DA:Inquisition

I did too. They both have a similar feel in terms of structure, although Inquisition has far superior voice acting iirc.

Can't see myself playing either again.

Lucreto

So they haven't come out and specifically said this game won't get any DLC right?

I'm still holding out hope we get some single player stuff on par with the original trilogy...

No, they haven't said anything yet. I am hopeful we will get something. I am sure they received thousands of Facebook messages, tweets etc all asking the same thing and we got no responses. Leaving us up in the air like this is not right they should say something so we can move on instead of this uncertain limbo.

I feel the quarian ark section was cut from the final game due to time so I suspect if we get just one dlc it would be that finished off. If it was reintegrated into the story even better.

I say if we don't hear anything by the end of August I say we won't be getting anything. They usually release dlc 5 months after the game launches going by the previous titles.

I wish Shinobi was still here as he would clarify things a bit better or that even the studio is shutting down.

Adree

I feel the quarian ark section was cut from the final game due to time so I suspect if we get just one dlc it would be that finished off. If it was reintegrated into the story even better.

You get a tease of the ark still being alive at the "epilogue" area when you talk to one of the techs. I figure that was meant to be DLC since it'd be weird to put a real story section in the game after that part.

I recommend doing everything but the tasks. Those you can ignore.

The loyalty missions are slightly better than normal sidequests (specially, Liam's). Also, 'Movie Night' is really funny but the mission itself is a fetch quest in the worst possible way, still, I think is worth it.
Also, the Architect's missions, story wise are not interesting, but the combat is fun.
Don't bother with any Task, just ignore them.

Patryn

As no DLC was ever officially announced, they have no reason to announce it won't be getting DLC.

To do so is to just generate more bad headlines about Andromeda. Better to just never say anything and let time pass and for people to figure it out.

This game is not getting single player DLC. It was a failure in EA's eyes, and they've moved on.

Lucreto

As no DLC was ever officially announced, they have no reason to announce it won't be getting DLC.

To do so is to just generate more bad headlines about Andromeda. Better to just never say anything and let time pass and for people to figure it out.

This game is not getting single player DLC. It was a failure in EA's eyes, and they've moved on.

People expect dlc based off the other games going the same. Saying nothing when people expect it would generate as much bad press as saying nothing.

"At the earnings call, Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson told investors that the publisher is “very happy with how BioWare is doing, how BioWare is treating Mass Effect. And our expectations for Mass Effect are still strong for the future and the franchise overall.”"

That they are still patching the game, adding minor updates in the multiplayer, pushing Andromada comics and more novels are on the way means it's far from a failure.

Rodhull

People expect dlc based off the other games going the same. Saying nothing when people expect it would generate as much bad press as saying nothing.

"At the earnings call, Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson told investors that the publisher is “very happy with how BioWare is doing, how BioWare is treating Mass Effect. And our expectations for Mass Effect are still strong for the future and the franchise overall.”"

That they are still patching the game, adding minor updates in the multiplayer, pushing Andromada comics and more novels are on the way means it's far from a failure.

I thought the books were quietly cancelled? I'm sure the second one was due around now or fairly soon but haven't seen anything about it.

Lucreto

I thought the books were quietly cancelled? I'm sure the second one was due around now or fairly soon but haven't seen anything about it.

It's still scheduled for Summer but since we are in the first month of Summer they still have two months to release it.

Patryn

News sites don't write stories about how a game hasn't gotten DLC yet, but there's no official word.

They do write stories when a company announces that a game won't be getting DLC.

It's still scheduled for Summer but since we are in the first month of Summer they still have two months to release it.
Who knows what's going on with the books - the digital versions have release dates way into Q4 2017.

I know companies sitting on completed manuscripts is a thing - there's literally 4 Star Trek reboot novels that haven't been published because Bad Robot or whoever won't let them be.

prag16

Banned
Who knows what's going on with the books - the digital versions have release dates way into Q4 2017.

I know companies sitting on completed manuscripts is a thing - there's literally 4 Star Trek reboot novels that haven't been published because Bad Robot or whoever won't let them be.

That's what I'm expecting here... the first novel launched with the game. The second one is probably sitting there completed, most likely never to see the light of day. The third one who knows.

BumRush

Background: HUGE ME 1-3 fan, with 2 being one of my top 5 favorite games ever.

Due to being incredibly busy with work, having a second baby and hearing about launch issues I waited to start playing until last week. I'm 4 hours in and it's not pulling me in just yet. I will definitely give it at least another 4-6 hours but it feels like something is missing. Is the intro just a slog or is this indicative of what to expect?

StarPhlox

Now that the dust has settled I'm surprised at how many people are praising this game. Should have thought it about it at $30 during that last sale but Prey was tugging at me harder. Hope this isn't the end of the series!

OrionX

You get a tease of the ark still being alive at the "epilogue" area when you talk to one of the techs. I figure that was meant to be DLC since it'd be weird to put a real story section in the game after that part.

Yeah that was such a damn tease.

Another thing that really bugged me was that you never find out the identity of
Jien Garson's killer, who I'm assuming is the infamous "Benefactor" that provided the last minute funds for the Initiative, or someone working for them.
That was one of the more interesting side quests in the game for me and there's no resolution to it. Had future dlc written all over it, which now seems very unlikely to happen. :/

Due to being incredibly busy with work, having a second baby and hearing about launch issues I waited to start playing until last week. I'm 4 hours in and it's not pulling me in just yet. I will definitely give it at least another 4-6 hours but it feels like something is missing. Is the intro just a slog or is this indicative of what to expect?

It is indicative of what to expect, I still played through ~18 hours to try and get to the "good part" until I found there was none, this is probably the only game I played so much without enjoying it just because, like you, I love Mass Effect franchise, being the second one of the all time greats.

prag16

Banned

The intro and first planet can indeed be a slog compared to the rest of the game. The whole thing can be kind of sloggy if you get bogged down with all the mundane sidequests and additional tasks.

But if you stick to the priority missions, the "allies and relationships" category, and anything from "Heleus assignments" that interests you, it's damn good. Avoid "additional tasks" like the plague. The loyalty missions and some of the later game story missions are largely very good.

The beginning is a pretty bad slog, and the resource management stuff is more of a pain than ME2-3. If you're on PC, you can use the mod list I posted earlier on this page to get around the "drive around to get materials to make stuff with" stuff.

BumRush

It is indicative of what to expect, I still played through ~18 hours to try and get to the "good part" until I found there was none, this is probably the only game I played so much without enjoying it just because, like you, I love Mass Effect franchise, being the second one of the all time greats.

The intro and first planet can indeed be a slog compared to the rest of the game. The whole thing can be kind of sloggy if you get bogged down with all the mundane sidequests and additional tasks.

But if you stick to the priority missions, the "allies and relationships" category, and anything from "Heleus assignments" that interests you, it's damn good. Avoid "additional tasks" like the plague. The loyalty missions and some of the later game story missions are largely very good.

The beginning is a pretty bad slog, and the resource management stuff is more of a pain than ME2-3. If you're on PC, you can use the mod list I posted earlier on this page to get around the "drive around to get materials to make stuff with" stuff.

Thanks guys. I'll stick with it for a bit and try to stay with just main quests. I'll update with my thoughts periodically

Cornbread78

Now that the dust has settled I'm surprised at how many people are praising this game. Should have thought it about it at $30 during that last sale but Prey was tugging at me harder. Hope this isn't the end of the series!

That's what happens when people jump on the bitch bandwagon and try to yell the loudest at how much shit something is without playing it, lol.

Sure, it's got some issues, but it's still a damn fun game to play with an imaginative world and some interesting characters..

Yeah that was such a damn tease.

Another thing that really bugged me was that you never find out the identity of
Jien Garson's killer, who I'm assuming is the infamous "Benefactor" that provided the last minute funds for the Initiative, or someone working for them.
That was one of the more interesting side quests in the game for me and there's no resolution to it. Had future dlc written all over it, which now seems very unlikely to happen. :/

You can definity tell they were planning to carry over this plotline into the next game.

I really hope we at least get dlc which addresses the
Quarian Ark
at some point.

Patryn

I can't preorder Winds of Winter either, doesn't mean it's not coming.

Winds of Winter isn't supposed to come out this summer.

Although that also isn't coming out, but for vastly different reasons.

Look, optimism is fine, but MEA DLC has become the new Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered. And look how that's gone.

Bizzquik

If you're playing on PC, here's a list of mods I highly recommend:
Free Remnant Decryption Keys (1000x)
Road Rage (increased Nomad collision damage to enemies)
Materials for Sale (all crafting materials can be bought on the Tempest for free)
General Augs Rebalanced (full disclosure: I made this mod - sets a wide variety of augments to give 10% bonuses to weapons/gear)
Weight Cooldown Bonus (brings back ME3's less weight = faster cooldowns mechanic)
Hyper Mobility (better sprint speed, better jump height & distance, might get you stuck on invisible geometry)
Squadmates Damage (buff to squadmate stats so they're less useless)
No Profile Switching Cooldown (switching profiles doesn't cause all abilities to cooldown)
Shut Up SAM (Reduces SAM chatter about environmental hazards)

Tools you should have:
MEA Recovery Tool (let's you revert changes if modding causes problems)
Frosty Mod Manager (lets you run mods in a nice UI, remember to double click the mods on the list to the left)
MEAExplorer Ansel DLLs (download them & stick them in the MEA game folder so the mods will actually work)

Thanks for this lengthy list; I would even welcome more.
I really, really want to like this game...because I need a good, controller-friendly WRPG in my life. Maybe this will help me get past hour six....where I've been since April and haven't gone back.

Thanks for this lengthy list; I would even welcome more.
I really, really want to like this game...because I need a good, controller-friendly WRPG in my life. Maybe this will help me get past hour six....where I've been since April and haven't gone back.
I would play an hour or so with these mods installed, then look at the Nexus Mods lists for any tweaks you might want that aren't on the list. I know there are a few weapon and power tweaks/rebalances on there, as well as a growing assortment of visual mods.

Ashtar

I've been trying to dust off this game and be done with it but i got some really bad performance on Eos and Aya I uploaded a video of a battle on Eos some loyalty mission spoilers) and it was the worst I can remember
https://youtu.be/VMMWArQvd10
Felt like I was running through mud

Just decided to purchase this for 30 Euro's. I couldn't wait any longer seeing as the Mass Effect franchise is my most favorite franchise.

I know I should not expect Mass Effect 2 so I am keeping my expectations low. Glad I waited for two months for the price to lower.

Cornbread78

Just decided to purchase this for 30 Euro's. I couldn't wait any longer seeing as the Mass Effect franchise is my most favorite franchise.

I know I should not expect Mass Effect 2 so I am keeping my expectations low. Glad I waited for two months for the price to lower.

You'll get your monies worth for sure. I actually liked Andromeda more than ME 1 and 3, but 2 still takes the trophy.

Lime

There'll be another patch later supposedly, so maybe you want to wait a bit more.

Top Bottom