• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT3| - Strong and Stable Government? No. Coalition Of Chaos!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I use 100ppp on my computer and 50ppp on mobileGAF, it's a new era of bipartisanship and cross-party reconciliation.

Jackpot

Banned
If they'd said they'd issue the shares at 800p, and they didn't manage to sell all of them, then they can sell a second tranche at 720p, and nothing has been lost except time.

If they issue the shares at 560p, and people buy them when they would have bought them at 720p, what's been lost is an enormous amount of revenue.

You're justifying the massive undervaluing by saying 'they just wanted to make sure a sale occurred!' when the consequences of no-sale (small wait, try again at lower price) are inconsequential compared to the consequences of undervaluing.

Your justification sucks.

And that's before we even get onto the sleaze of letting the companies who advised on the initial share price buy said shares and rely on a "gentleman's agreement" not to use them for short term profits.

*Splinter

Crab would list Royal Mail for 50ppp, quiche and most the rest of the thread would for 100ppp. How many pages has Crab lost the taxpayer on this sale?
Trick question! 50ppp users get more pages, not less!

And that's before we even get onto the sleaze of letting the companies who advised on the initial share price buy said shares and rely on a "gentleman's agreement" not to use them for short term profits.
Actually can we get into that? Is it actually as sleazy as it sounds or is there more to the story?

What do you make of it, Huw? (sorry to single you out here but... y'know)

We must focus on the important things. People that use 50 ppp are despicable, yes. Foul, indeed. Wretched, most certainly.

They are, however, a minor nuisance compared to those who do not hide Avatars. All hate must be directed towards them.

We must focus on the important things. People that use 50 ppp are despicable, yes. Foul, indeed. Wretched, most certainly.

They are, however, a minor nuisance compared to those who do not hide Avatars. All hate must be directed towards them.

So much for the tolerant left. This kind of abuse over 50ppp is what is putting people off politics.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

If you think everyone ought to hide avatars, why do you have an avatar? There's no need to make concessions to the immoral.

That's like saying that the reason the Tories are appalling when in government is because they are trying to demonstrate that government doesn't work.

make no mistake, i'd rent my avatar space to the highest bidder too if i could find anyone interested in the damn thing.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
make no mistake, i'd rent my avatar space to the highest bidder too if i could find anyone interested in the damn thing.

I will pay you 2 units of NeoGAF karma to change it to a picture of Michael Gove.

I will pay you 2 units of NeoGAF karma a pint to change it to a picture of Michael Gove.

got yourself a deal. to be paid when/if i ever visit that island of yours.

Dude was, like, the perfect mix between austin and bad luck brian. Tbf jeremy hunt would be more like what i usually get.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That's cheating, you managed to find the least-bad picture of Gove. Half-pint at best.

Spuck-uk

Banned
What, really, does Cable get the Dems in terms of voter share.

He's economically aligned with the Tories, doesn't have anything distinctive like Farrons (for once entirely correct) view on legalising the 'erb. He's a no sell to students/appears to dislike young people entirely.

Who is his appointment meant to appeal to? I'll not complain if he strips seats from the coalition of chaos mind you.

He's economically aligned with the Tories, doesn't have anything distinctive like Farrons (for once entirely correct) view on legalising the 'erb. He's a no sell to students/appears to dislike young people entirely.

Who is his appointment meant to appeal to? I'll not complain if he strips seats from the coalition of chaos mind you.

I quite like him

Theonik

That's cheating, you managed to find the least-bad picture of Gove. Half-pint at best.
This is what the lib dems felt after they saw RM stock trading at twice the price they listed them.
'But you said they were only worth 450p'

*Splinter

Moderate Tories I guess? The more the Tories capitulate to the hard Brexiteers and DM reading nutjobs the more it makes sense for the Lib Dems to eat their moderate lunch.

Then again Labour are pulling further to the left at the moment as well. I think The Cable is just the only option.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

He isn't meant to appeal to anyone, he's the only one who wants the job out of a very tiny selection.

Theonik

When the election happens round September the Lib Dems should run with:
'Vince Cable, Strong and Stable' it will be their crowning 'I like Ike' moment.

My Mum likes Vince Cable but she's a Remain-voting baby boomer, not exactly a huge target demographic

My own would probably vote for the party in every circumstance unless the leader pulled off a mask to reveal they were Farage underneath. I guess it might an assurance to the base by using a familiar face? Which isn't really what the Lib Dems need though.

Bo-Locks

Just a couple of days after Chris Grayling announced electrification schemes in Wales, the Midlands and the North of England have been cancelled and there are to be further reviews (meaning cancellations) of other rail infrastructure improvements in the North, it's full steam ahead for £31bn Crossrail 2 - but it's an absolute bargain because London will contribute half the cost upfront (I'm sceptical) meaning Crossrail 2 is an absolute steal for the Treasury and DfT at a mere £16bn.

It's beyond a joke, it's obscene.

As ever the logic seems to be that London makes more money than anywhere else in the country so a pound spent in London gets better returns than anywhere else - therefore lets spend more money in London and maybe possibly we'll consider dishing out these benefits to rest of the country at some unspecified point in the future. A five year old could pick apart the logic of this nonsense.

Cumulative decisions like this (failing to invest in the disparaging "regions" and throwing seemingly infinite cash at London) is one of the most obvious reasons for the Brexit vote imo. But divisions and decisions like this over the course of decades just results in a more divided country, a massively overheated economy and property market in London and the South East, a massively unproductive rest of UK and a poorer nation overall.

It seems pretty obvious to me with zero economic knowledge and nothing but gut instinct that London is seriously damaging the rest of the country.

Which just gave me a thought. This is a massively South East based government / cabinet. Off the top of my head I can only think of David Davies in the cabinet (aside from Welsh / Scottish Secretaries of State) who represents a constituency outside of South East England.

I seriously want someone to explain to my why it makes sense to press ahead with £30bn Crossrail 2 but the country can't afford basic electrification schemes in the regions.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/24/transport-secretary-backs-crossrail-2-plan

The Tories heard that us Yorkshire folk walk 5 miles to work uphill both ways and are bloody grateful. Trains? Electricity? In my day we'd get a lump of coal for Christmas and have to make it last the whole year!

Or more seriously, the Tory leadership remembered it was Osborne's idea and want to destroy his legacy at all costs.

They've already cut down the trees next to my line to make room for overhead cables. Destroying this noise barrier is okay because electric trains will be so much quieter. Ooops...

True story: I was once in an amateur league football team that was ironically called Transpennine Express because we were old, shit and every game there'd be a couple of people that never bothered to show up.

The line is in desperate need of improvements. Jokes aside, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield and Manchester are important cities and need good transport links, plus all the smaller cities on the route, like Bradford, York and Hull. This isn't some fucking branch line that can make do with some shitty 3-carriage diesels.
We still have 80's "Pacer" trains for most Northern Rail services in my area. They are literally converted buses meant for temporary use.

Uzzy

Which just gave me a thought. This is a massively South East based government / cabinet. Off the top of my head I can only think of David Davies in the cabinet (aside from Welsh / Scottish Secretaries of State) who represents a constituency outside of South East England.

I seriously want someone to explain to my why it makes sense to press ahead with £30bn Crossrail 2 but the country can't afford basic electrification schemes in the regions.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/24/transport-secretary-backs-crossrail-2-plan

Because nothing of value exists north of Watford. That's why London gets Crossrail 1 and 2, HS1 and 2, along with the Heathrow expansion, while us up North are left behind in the horse and carriage era.

Theonik

Well to be fair, London is the one of the if not the only area to bring more revenues than is spent in it iirc.

So it makes sense that more money is spent in London. At the same time, this centralised governing model and spending does also mean that all the opportunities remain in London which in turn leads to the situation being extended.

Uhhhhh guys, train lines that run through London aren't there to benefit London. They're there to benefit the other areas the line goes through, because the people there able to get to the only part of the country which actually has jobs that pay more than £14kpa and restaurants that aren't whatever exciting combination of Burger King, KFC, M&S Food and Starbucks your local service station has. Ok, so Crossrail is all in the South East and, therefore, serves only cunts but HS2 is an attempt to rescue some poor souls from their monotonous lives of scarcity and allow them to see an electric light bulb at least *once* before they die.

Theonik

Uhhhhh guys, train lines that run through London aren't there to benefit London. They're there to benefit the other areas the line goes through, because they're able to get to the part of the country which actually has jobs that pay more than £14kpa and restaurants that aren't whatever exciting combination of Burger King, KFC, M&S Food and Starbucks your local service station has. Ok, so Crossrail is all in the South East and, therefore, serves only cunts but HS2 is an attempt to rescue some poor souls from their monotonous lives of scarcity and allow them to see an electric light bulb at least *once* before they die.
I partly agree with you there. Decent transportation links are the foremost factor that can be attributed to being able to earn more than one's parents. So why were you for cutting off most of the countryside again?

Moving the thread backwards a little, anecdotally at least, it seems that Cable will help the Lib Dems swing Tory voters (who make up over 40% of the electorate, remember). Young people are a lost cause until Labour betray them next, and then it's probably the Green Party's turn with them after that anyway.

Cable exudes competence and economic credibility. Most politicians aren't judged on their record, but on their perception - and on this perception alone, Cable could win a good percentage of the base that Cameron went for. Neither the Conservatives nor Labour look economically competent right now, Cable fills that niche.

Over 80% of Lib Dem target seats are blue right now, they need to swing blue voters to win back those seats.

Also important is Cable's ability to appear apolitical and gain air time. Farron always struggled to get any media attention, and then when he got it, it was largely (unduly) negative. Cable hasn't had this problem so far.

Theonik

That was my hope as well. Lib Dems are best served trying to win back their weak tory seats than go after labour. That way they might have a shot at recovering.
And the country has a shot at not being a Tory hellscape.

Acorn

It's hilarious how much weight we put on Fox's word even if Tories are in power he won't be the dumbass they'll use.

He's a no job having useful idiot, stop humouring him tv.

I partly agree with you there. Decent transportation links are the foremost factor that can be attributed to being able to earn more than one's parents. So why were you for cutting off most of the countryside again?

Who's cutting anyone off? It's not electrified now, is it?

Chinner

Banned
The Tories heard that us Yorkshire folk walk 5 miles to work uphill both ways and are bloody grateful. Trains? Electricity? In my day we'd get a lump of coal for Christmas and have to make it last the whole year!

Or more seriously, the Tory leadership remembered it was Osborne's idea and want to destroy his legacy at all costs.

They've already cut down the trees next to my line to make room for overhead cables. Destroying this noise barrier is okay because electric trains will be so much quieter. Ooops...

True story: I was once in an amateur league football team that was ironically called Transpennine Express because we were old, shit and every game there'd be a couple of people that never bothered to show up.

The line is in desperate need of improvements. Jokes aside, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield and Manchester are important cities and need good transport links, plus all the smaller cities on the route, like Bradford, York and Hull. This isn't some fucking branch line that can make do with some shitty 3-carriage diesels.
We still have 80's "Pacer" trains for most Northern Rail services in my area. They are literally converted buses meant for temporary use.
The Manchester Victoria line between Leeds and Manchester is horrendous. Carriages from like the 70s, always over loaded. Glad I don't commute on the line anymore.

I'll try answering this... without causing arguments this time:

He's well known.
He gets media attention.
He has a core competency that's pretty relevant and is uniquely his amongst party leaders right now, which is that he's got a strong background in economics.
He is very focussed on policy, specifically economic policy. He's actually quite a ways left of the Tories (he's currently talking about LVT, for example). This helps when you want a USP that isn't just smoke weed erry day. Remember that he was, in his youth, a Labour man.

Others mention he's the right man to threaten Tory seats, but it's important to remember that those seats are often quite tough, and the next election will be fought on the Corbyn question. So it's a tough spot - he has to really look like an alternate PM, not someone who is talked about as propping up Corbyn or the Tory leader.

The Lib Dems are in a tough spot regardless of who is leading them, but I do think Cable is better than, say, Swinson right now to solve that issue of not being judged as being an adult in the political room.

But he does have some nasty baggage, as others will rush to mention, thanks to being the most powerful non-quad LD Coalition minister. Then again, there's a lot of successes to talk about with his ministerial record, not just the more controversial stuff like the RM sell-off.

Oh, should mention that stuff like cannabis legalisation is not going anywhere now it's party policy - he'll be campaigning for legislation. Or he'll wake up with a maddened Julian Huppert at the end of his bed with a cleaver. :)

Spuck-uk

Banned
Moving the thread backwards a little, anecdotally at least, it seems that Cable will help the Lib Dems swing Tory voters (who make up over 40% of the electorate, remember). Young people are a lost cause until Labour betray them next, and then it's probably the Green Party's turn with them after that anyway.

Cable exudes competence and economic credibility. Most politicians aren't judged on their record, but on their perception - and on this perception alone, Cable could win a good percentage of the base that Cameron went for. Neither the Conservatives nor Labour look economically competent right now, Cable fills that niche.

Over 80% of Lib Dem target seats are blue right now, they need to swing blue voters to win back those seats.

Also important is Cable's ability to appear apolitical and gain air time. Farron always struggled to get any media attention, and then when he got it, it was largely (unduly) negative. Cable hasn't had this problem so far.

We've been over the Royal Mail fiasco already

The only, very brief time I've seen Cable even mentioned in the news was his baffling attack on an imagined ”irrational cult of youth" in politics.

Edit: Well good news about the legalisation policy Huw, that's probably worth more than a few votes, and something I really wish other parties would adopt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom