• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faustek

giphy.gif

But I'm under the belief that if I keep on badgering them. Written letters and mail they'll maybe, just maybe stop being so damn slow.

Sch1sm

So I can cuss and talk shit again?

giphy.gif

fr, glad you had it. Hopefully it wasn't too over the top in here while you did it.

Much appreciated to anyone who kept the wild stuff at a low for us. Browsing GAF gets me through it, on a level. Keeps me distracted. So, thanks. ❤️

Time for Iftar? or is it Eid al-adha time? Anyway Ramadan Mubarak

Iftar was 2.5 hours ago for me, roughly. This is Eid ul Fitr. Eid al Adha is in September, though. Not too long away.

akira28

I wasn't invited to my guy's eid party this year...I did excuse myself out of it last year tho...

edit: I guess its because he didn't throw one...hmm. I can understand, this is quite a year.

edit2: or maybe this is the other eid...

Faustek

Iftar was 2.5 hours ago for me, roughly. This is Eid ul Fitr. Eid al Adha is in September, though. Not too long away.

Googling and reading. Thanks, always feel so ashamed to never have bothered with what's really what even though I have friends that take it this part seriously.

The need is mighty. Wish I was 15 now and went to school with that.
I really don't but it would be fun.

Sch1sm

Googling and reading. Thanks, always feel so ashamed to never have bothered with what's really what even though I have friends that take it this part seriously.

The need is mighty. Wish I was 15 now and went to school with that.
I really don't but it would be fun.

If you ever have questions, there is a MuslimGAF OT around. It’s been especially quiet due to Ramadan, but we’re always there to answer questions.

—

Night, y’all. Enjoy the tail end of the weekend. Hope you get that lazy Sunday.

Nudull

Banned
Been spending my nights playing Dead by Daylight and Friday the 13th, back to back. Didn't think I'd love asymmetrical horror games so much, but here we are.

Zekes!

Been spending my nights playing Dead by Daylight and Friday the 13th, back to back. Didn't think I'd love asymmetrical horror games so much, but here we are.

Been thinking of checking out the PS4 version of Friday the 13th

I should check out how if that version is any good

Nope.

Kicking off my birthday this very early morning at the laundromat. Couldn't sleep, had clothes to wash.

Went to a 24hr laundromat I never been to before, this place has Apple Pay, welcome to the future yall.

Happy birthday. I hope they cook ramen in your honor and give you 45% of what the house takes

Johndoey

Banned
Happy Birthday.
qyY6oyx.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNRsqOXC8tE
--
White People Keep Finding New Ways to Segregate Schools

For the past few years, residents in the city of Gardendale, Alabama, have been pushing to take over a county high school, a middle school, and two elementary schools from the greater Jefferson County school system, one of several districts still bound by a federal desegregation order. Residents argue that they want local control. The city's mayor went so far as to tell the Washington Post that it was about ”keeping our tax dollars here with our kids, rather than sharing them with kids all over Jefferson County." Opponents of the plan, though, claim the move is mired in racial overtones and the pursuit of a divided system that benefits Gardendale's families at the expense of others in the county.
In April, a federal judge ruled that although the community's efforts to separate from the countywide district were in fact racially motivated, Gardendale could start its own district of 2,134 students this fall with two elementary schools and could eventually purchase a $55 million high school from Jefferson County, as long as it established a court-approved desegregation plan within three years.
A report released this week by the education nonprofit EdBuild documents the reach of the movement. Since 2000, researchers find, there have been 71 attempts by communities to secede from larger school districts, and, so far, 47 communities have been successful. Another nine, from Malibu, California, to Daphne, Alabama, are currently considering breaking away. Yet another nine community's plans have been defeated since 2000.
--
The Trump Administration Is Pulling a Grant From a Group That Combats Neo-Nazis

In January, before President Barack Obama left office, DHS announced it would be giving grants to Life After Hate and 30 other anti-extremist groups and law enforcement agencies, but the Trump administration suspended them before the money had been awarded. The new list of grantees announced today by Trump's DHS includes groups that combat Al Qaeda and ISIS and leaves out organizations primarily focused on countering white supremacists and other far-right hate groups.
Perhaps this should come as no surprise because, as Reuters reported in February, Trump transition officials as far back as December were debating changing the focus and name of the program from ”Countering Violent Extremism" to ”Countering Islamic Extremism" or ”Countering Radical Islamic Extremism." President Trump has also made it a habit to largely ignore attacks committed by anyone who doesn't qualify as a ”radical Islamic terrorist."
”Obviously we are disappointed in that decision," Life After Hate co-founder and board member Tony McAlver told Mother Jones. Comprised of 50 former members of right-wing hate groups, Life After Hate has received 10 times more requests for help in the past year than in the previous five years combined, McAlver says. The organization was hoping to secure a $400,000 grant from DHS, which would have allowed Life After Hate to expand its efforts with an in-house tech team to identify and counter neo-Nazi recruitment online. ”It was not to pay salaries and stuff," McAlver says. ”It was for a specific online campaign."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom