• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you don't already, y'all should donate blood.

entremet

I really do not like how you can't sell your blood for money, but the companies you are donating to turn around and selling your blood.
Those companies have overhead. Employee salaries. Facility rentals. Marketing, to convince people to give blood.

laoni

I'm not eligible to donate blood thanks to my blood trying to kill me but, I have been a recipient. So, thank you to everyone who does donate, whether it's blood, platelets, or both. I (and a lot of other people) would be dead without you.

Donated @ work a few weeks ago, totally nearly passed out because I didn't eat a big enough breakfast, super embarrassing

Need to get into better shape/eat better so I can donate more often

CrazyDude

I have a big phobia of blood being suck out, I don't have a problem with needles them selves, but having them put it in the vain and the feeling of blood being drained out of me gets me every time.

I've donated a few times but I've been removed from the register now because I felt faint 3/4 times (drank and ate plenty) and another time my iron count was far too low to donate.

PKrockin

Donating blood seems like such a good deal I'd feel immoral for being qualified but not donating. Doesn't cost me any money, takes an hour or so every few months, safe, has no noticeable effect on my own body, and I get a free meal? Add in that people unlucky enough to have a horrible injury, surgery, infection or disease get to live as a direct result? It's a no-brainer.

Barzul

I can’t I once lived in Britain. Shame because I’m a universal donor.
Yeah when I was donating blood I saw this weird question in a survey about whether you lived in the UK between some date range. I thought it was weird but I didn’t think it would be disqualifying. I wonder why that is ?

watershed

Banned
I'm working on my second gallon in terms of lifetime donated total. In Seattle, they give you a little pin for certain milestones.

Genryu

Banned
Yeah when I was donating blood I saw this weird question in a survey about whether you lived in the UK between some date range. I thought it was weird but I didn’t think it would be disqualifying. I wonder why that is ?

It's because of Mad Cow Disease.

Zero²

Sorry but banning exclusively LGBT+ folk is bullshit, if you want to be reasonable, ban everyone that had sex in less than 30 days.
I have a steady partner and we both get tested regularly, it's complete bullshit that I can't donate just based of my sexuality.

Meowster

I’d like to (and did in high school before I was out and seeing anyone) but can’t now because I’m gay. I’ve been in a steady relationship for almost five years now but that doesn’t change anything. Oh well.

Kenai

I used to donate when I was dating my gf, but I have a bf now so they don't want it anymore ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My mom used to work for a blood bank and would trick me into donating while I was waititng for her to be done with her work.

I think I've donated 6 times in 7 years.

Kinsei

Banned
I would if there wasn't a ban on men that have sex with men and trans women that have sex with men donating.

Kaji AF16

Last year I lost a young, very dear uncle of mine to myelodysplasia, a blood cancer. During his illness, we had to get as much as 80 donors: I was sadly surprised to find how how hard it was even for close people to give their blood for a noble cause.

My wife, on the other hand, is a regular platelet donor who couldn´t contribute to my uncle when she was needed the most because her last "altruist" donation had been very recent.

Don't look as the pull out the needle, I look away as they're about getting ready. Works well enough.

Have had lots of blood work over the years and I'm the exact opposite, my anxiety skyrockets if I don't know when the needle is going in and just causes the whole thing to be more awful then it needs to be.

Soulfire

I'd love to give blood, I'm O negative, but because I was born in the UK in the '80s they won't let me. It's bullshit, I get that mad cow sucks and that the only way to test for it is a brain biopsy, but come on there have been about 200 documented cases period. I can't even donate breastmilk because of it. I lied once and donated anyway but I hate lying on something like that so I just keep checking back for them to lift the ban. My entire family is either O negative or positive and most of us can't donate because of that stupid rule.

Sorry for the bump, eh, but I figure it's a topic worth continual discussion!

Just did a whole blood donation today. Got free cookies, tea, and juice. Shit's fire af. Highly reccomended. Plus, they let you know your blood type for free after your first donation!

Do it

It's the only thing keeping my mum functioning at the minute.
Her body is unable to do something correct with her blood production

So needs a top up otherwise her Kidneys fail to function

Without that option she'd be dead already

With the amount of healthcare my mums needed this year I'm majorly thankful for the NHS

Frimaire

Sorry for the bump, eh, but I figure it's a topic worth continual discussion!

Just did a whole blood donation today. Got free cookies, tea, and juice. Shit's fire af. Highly reccomended. Plus, they let you know your blood type for free after your first donation!

Oh shit, I should do this. I still don't know what my blood type is.
I know I'm one of the Os, but it could be either one...

JettDash

I used to live in Germany when I was a kid (military). So that disqualifies me. But fuck that, there is no way for them to know unless I tell them.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
You do for plasma and marrow

I've given blood and plasma, plasma doesn't pay much, but blood usually doesn't pay.

For plasma you do

In college I used to give twice a week and just bring my laptop in to watch or listen to stuff. During the best weeks I’d get $35 for the first donation of the week and $45 for the second

Wait USA hospitals actually pay for plasma donation? Here in Brazil donation is free and buying/selling is considered illegal by the Constitution.

JettDash

Wait USA hospitals actually pay for plasma donation? Here in Brazil donation is free and buying/selling is considered illegal by the Constitution.

They are not hospitals. They are for profit businesses that exist solely for collecting plasma donations and turning them into products.

And yes they do pay people for doing it. Like $25-$50. I don't see the problem. Surely they would not get as many donations if they didn't pay for it.

Paertan

I have tried. Twice. I am not allowed. My hemoglobin values are too low. Not low so it is an issue, but low enough that I can't donate.

AllGamer

I did regularly before I was diagnosed with a malignant tumor last year. Everything is fine now but I am not allowed to donate blood for the rest of my life.

Top Bottom