• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Panther - Official Trailer

Litan

I kinda wonder what the explanation will be for why the Dora Milaje are all women. The whole wives-in-training thing would not be well received.

The Kree

Banned
I kinda wonder what the explanation will be for why the Dora Milaje are all women. The whole wives-in-training thing would not be well received.

Not every aspect of Wakandan society needs to be well received. It just needs to be interesting. The fact that the king never intends to be with any of them anyway is enough. They're really there to make all the tribes feel included in the government.

Not every aspect of Wakandan society needs to be well received. It just needs to be interesting. The fact that the king never intends to be with any of them anyway is enough. They're really there to make all the tribes feel included in the government.

Really that's all that needs to be said.

Litan

Yeah, okay.
How about, 'I would rather they come up with something better for the female characters in this movie'?
The fact he doesnt intend to be with them is not enough.

caliph95

Eh it will be fine with the explanation since Wakanda while advanced is fairly conservative plus they're basically Amazons

Though doesn't explain the black ops Dora

I hope they speak Hausa

vIKsQ7n.png

anyone got a HQ version of this?

The Kree

Banned
Yeah, okay.
How about, 'I would rather they come up with something better for the female characters in this movie'?
The fact he doesnt intend to be with them is not enough.

Why is that not enough? Instead of being a harem full of sex objects they're they royal guard made up of the smartest and strongest women in the world. That's already leagues better than pretty much any monarchy has ever done for women real or fictional as far as I know.

Slayven

Wakandans are still fairly conservative anyway because of the different tribes

Considering they balance the opinions that range from "We should lessen ties with the outside world " to "We should bath in the blood of gorillas and eat their flesh". They do alright.

Litan

Why is that not enough? Instead of being a harem full of sex objects they're they royal guard made up of the smartest and strongest women in the world. That's already leagues better than pretty much any monarchy has ever done for women real or fictional as far as I know.
I really dont care about it passing some low bar based on real or fictional monarchies. I want this to be a movie that celebrates black women just as much as black men.

Coogler and the other writer took T'Challa's (unnecessary) high intelligence trait and gave it to Shuri, so I'm hopeful they gave thought on how to better portray the other women as well.

neoanarch

The Dora could have been a traditionally based group of potential concubines for the king while at the same time being the best of the best. There isn't any reason not to assume or have made it so the concubine part was dropped eventually. It not only lifts them to something positive but would make sense for a modern society.

The Kree

Banned
I really dont care about it passing some low bar based on real or fictional monarchies. I want this to be a movie that celebrates black women just as much as black men.

Coogler and the other writer took T'Challa's (unnecessary) high intelligence trait and gave it to Shuri, so I'm hopeful they gave thought on how to better portray the other women as well.

You do care because that's your starting point of reference. Wakanda is going to be compared to other kingdoms and its women are going to be viewed through that lens.

Litan

You do care because that's your starting point of reference. Wakanda is going to be compared to other kingdoms and its women are going to be viewed through that lens.
Its' women are going to viewed the way the director chooses to portray them.

The Kree

Banned
Its' women are going to viewed the way the director chooses to portray them.

Authorial intent is not the sole criteria by which they will be judged. They'll be compared to other kinds of women in media. All things considered, I think they'll be viewed favorably because they're already miles ahead of how women are treated in monarchies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I wonder how they are going to rope Black Panther into Infinity War.

Based on the potato Infinity Wars trailer and Hickman's Avengers, I assume
a member of the Black Order will attack Wakanda like they did in Hickman's run since you can see a fight happening in the trailer.

If anyone celebrates black women, it's Coogler. Not sure a team of highly intelligent and talented women is only satisfactory by low standards, either.

Though, I'm not sure Shuri being intelligent means T'Challa isn't still a genius. Have they confirmed that?

Litan

Authorial intent is not the sole criteria by which they will be judged. They'll be compared to other kinds of women in media. All things considered, I think they'll be viewed favorably because they're already miles ahead of how women are portrayed in monarchies.
Look, man, I dont care about authorial intent not being the sole criteria and other media and all that shit.
All I ask is that they drop the wives in training thing from the comics.

Youre the one who came in with the dismissive, "As long as he doesnt intend to be with them, that's enough." That's weak.

This movie better be on some black feminist shit.

If anyone celebrates black women, it's Coogler. Not sure a team of highly intelligent and talented women is only satisfactory by low standards, either.

Though, I'm not sure Shuri being intelligent means T'Challa isn't still a genius. Have they confirmed that?

Sorry for the random twitter link, but judging by this quote from Feige, both T'Challa and Shuri will be geniuses.

https://twitter.com/lord_anarchy/status/885594677969399809

As for the Dora, they might as well go the Hudlin route: make them an army. Or a mix of Coates and Hudlin: a separate military division like the Hatut Zeraze that originally was supposed to be wives, but either T'Challa or T'Chaka changed it.

This may be one of those times where the Priest approach may not be the right one.

Litan

They havent. Im just hoping thats the case.

I always found it unnecessary that T'Challa, on top of being a king with superior athleticism and strategic skills, has to be a genius too. The guy is the ruler of a nation filled with some of the smartest people in the world.

caliph95

Sorry for the random twitter link, but judging by this quote from Feige, both T'Challa and Shuri will be geniuses.

https://twitter.com/lord_anarchy/status/885594677969399809

As for the Dora, they might as well go the Hudlin route: make them an army. Or a mix of Coates and Hudlin: a separate military division like the Hatut Zeraze that originally was supposed to be wives, but either T'Challa or T'Chaka changed it.

This may be one of those times where the Priest approach may not be the right one.
The Priest Run was when Wakanda waz a lot more flawed and was the same you said original wives from different tribes before T'challa or his dad changed them to bodyguards

But yeah they're definitely going for the modern interpretation

They havent. Im just hoping thats the case.

I always found it unnecessary that T'Challa, on top of being a king with superior athleticism and strategic skills, has to be a genius too. The guy is the ruler of a nation filled with some of the smartest people in the world.

That's just superheroes to me. Mr. Fantastic, Iron Man, Black Panther, Peter Parker, Bruce Banner, Hank Pym, Hank McCoy, Professor X, Dr Doom, Dr Octopus

they all have powers, colorful costumes/transformations & genius intellect to build a far out science fantasy gizmo.

like I prefer Amadeus Cho as a Hulk rather than just a really smart kid

As far as how good the film will treat woman characters, I remember Coogler saying that the deity they prey to is a goddess. It sounded like he was making a point to uplift women in the film but we'll see what the execution is like. Based on the talent in the roles, I feel like they going to do right

Who was the Enchantress an evil version of?

Don't feel bad, I forget Suicide Squad exists most of the time too.

I know I was reaching with this one, but Enchantress is actually an "evil" version in two different ways.

1. She is Dr. Moon's evil alter ego.
2. She was a member of the squad who betrayed the team.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Still can't believe that was the villain, god that movie sucked lmao

Remember that first clip of Enchantress' transformation? God, that was and is still awesome.

How the fuck is something that clever tied to one of the worst movies I've seen in theaters in... well acouple years atleast.

I know I was reaching with this one, but Enchantress is actually an "evil" version in two different ways.

1. She is Dr. Moon's evil alter ego.
2. She was a member of the squad who betrayed the team.

How could she betray the squad when the team wasn't even properly brought together until after she went nuts and took over Midway?

Remember that first clip of Enchantress' transformation? God, that was and is still awesome.

How the fuck is something that clever tied to one of the worst movies I've seen in theaters in... well acouple years atleast.

How could she betray the squad when the team wasn't even properly brought together until after she went nuts and took over Midway?

the movie had a lot of individual cool moments in it, although ultimately it was a piece of crap.

Will Smith at the gun range was so good too. The Ye song, the amount of shit he was talking to everyone, Ike Barinholtz's guard was funny as well. I actually thought it might end up kinda decent for the first 15 or so minutes.....

Famassu

Not what I did. I asked no questions, just made a statement that I don't believe it could stay hidden with good reasons to back it up.

And that bothers people like you to the point you now lie. Pathetic.
Says the Brexit defender. People have explained it to you a million time how this isn't anything too unbelievable but you just keep ignoring them and going "nuh-uh!". 1) Wakanda isn't a huge country. 2) Wakanda is an African country and western countries do not give a single iota of a fuck about African countries beyond getting cheap clothes, food, coffee, cacao & minerals from Africa (no matter how, can be slavery for all we care). 3) Wakanda puts out an image of a poor-ish African country to the rest of the world, so that just furthermore makes western countries ignore them. 4) Highly advanced camouflage technology exists in MCU already so it's not a huge stretch that Wakanda would have such tech to mask the more advanced part of the already pretty tiny country. 5) They are very protective of their secret and can go to great lengths to shield it.

There's nothing more plausible with Atlantis. At all.

Shy

Everyone should watch the Marvel Knight's Black Panther six episode cartoon series. It's very good.

I haven't read any of the comics. And i still really enjoyed it.

Well Shuri WAS The Black Panther and saved Wakanda so they better not do her dirty.

Well Shuri WAS The Black Panther and saved Wakanda so they better not do her dirty.

So far, they've outright upgraded her, at least in comparison to her original/Black Panther version, not what she currently is.

She's a Stark-level genius. No way Coogler lets that be useless. Also, she's in Infinity War.

Lunar15

I know we've somewhat moved on from this conversation, but anyone who wants to claim that Wakanda is too "perfect" or "weirdly unrealistic" doesn't really take into consideration that the MCU has already basically taken this into account by having Wakanda start to notice that their isolation might have had negative effects on global politics. This is bound to be a major plot point of the upcoming movie, and from what I can tell, that's been a major plotline in Black Panther comics.

I haven't read many BP comics, but from what I've always gathered, There's always a lot of internal politics in BP about how involved Wakanda should be in the world, which is literally the opposite of how some people here seem think they'll be portrayed.

caliph95

I know we've somewhat moved on from this conversation, but anyone who wants to claim that Wakanda is too "perfect" or "weirdly unrealistic" doesn't really take into consideration that the MCU has already basically taken this into account by having Wakanda start to notice that their isolation might have had negative effects on global politics. This is bound to be a major plot point of the upcoming movie, and from what I can tell, that's been a major plotline in Black Panther comics.

I haven't read many BP comics, but from what I've always gathered, There's always a lot of internal politics in BP about how involved Wakanda should be in the world, which is literally the opposite of how some people here seem think they'll be portrayed.
In the comics it's due to Wakanda being comprised of a bunch of different tribes who have different ideas of how things should work so you have the panther having to deal with them

In the Priest run it's why Dora Milaje was made basically taking a girl from each tribe to be potential wives but T'challa changed them to into bodyguards that are still wives to be and are kinda brainwashed or loyal and will be wives if he rver beds them

Iirc nakia was teenager or a kid when she became one and so was another teen immigrants whose family moved to America

Top Bottom