• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixel 2 | OT | The best Android phone gets better

taco543

That review is interesting:
"The Verge’s Creative Director James Bareham sides with Google on this, describing the Pixel 2 XL as the phone screen tuned most closely to professional displays: “it presents natural colors in terms of photos, but is a little dark,” he says. But here’s the real problem: James uses truly pro equipment that nobody is trying to sell to consumers; what he thinks of as accurate, what might technically be accurate, is not what the majority of us see on most of the devices we use."

So the screen is the most accurate compared to professional editing equipment and he things that is a bad thing?
Yeah I was confused by that too, but it seems like it just comes down to a preference, and the writer makes a poor attempt at showing that. So either you like more naturalistic images or more vivid images, is what he's trying to get across from my understanding and he seems to land on vivid.

linkboy

Well the original Pixel didn't support VoLTE on AT&T so I am not sure about Pixel 2.

That's the biggest reason why I won't go back to AT&T. There's no technical reason for unlocked phones to not work with voLTE or Wi-Fi calling. It's that AT&T just doesn't want to offer support for unlocked phones because they want you to get one from them.

The last time I used AT&T, my 6P would lock itself to HSPA any time I made a phone call and wouldn't reconnect back to LTE without a reset.

Moreche

I’m so tempted to jump off the Apple wagon due to the rising cost of their hardware and the fact that ios11 is a shitshow of bugs.
I also think google are onto something great with AI and machine learning, something I just don’t see Apple being able to compete with google on.

Kiraly

Would have bought the Pixel 2, but of course it does not come out in Spain and only the XL will be available here.

Fuck having a screen that shit and potential panel lottery on a 959 euro purchase.

That review is interesting:
"The Verge’s Creative Director James Bareham sides with Google on this, describing the Pixel 2 XL as the phone screen tuned most closely to professional displays: “it presents natural colors in terms of photos, but is a little dark,” he says. But here’s the real problem: James uses truly pro equipment that nobody is trying to sell to consumers; what he thinks of as accurate, what might technically be accurate, is not what the majority of us see on most of the devices we use."

So the screen is the most accurate compared to professional editing equipment and he things that is a bad thing?

is it really the most accurate though?

didn't read like they compared it to the more accurate modes included in the Samsung devices... just that they compared the default settings...

Nipo

is it really the most accurate though?

didn't read like they compared it to the more accurate modes included in the Samsung devices... just that they compared the default settings...

Yea, the article wasn't clear there. They were obviously talking about the over saturated default mode on Samsung panels not the more accurate, but rarely used, basic mode.

Why would they skip it over completely if it was going to be a game changer? Makes zero sense and I’m not expecting any miracles out of it.
I don't think it's supposed to be a game changer, it's just way more efficient. The camera will be faster and use a lot less energy. Plus 3rd parties will be able to use Google's HDR+ tech in their apps. And in the future, some of the machine learning/AI stuff will also be offloaded to this chip.

It make perfect sense not to use this SoC yet because the software kinks are likely still being worked out.

I just ordered a Pixel 2 XL this afternoon. Should be here first week of November.

Has Google ever stated whether or not it can display HDR videos? I know the Pixel 1 got software updated to support HDR content, but wondering if my Pixel 2 XL is gonna be able to watch Digital Foundry's new HDR content in its intended color and contrast.

That's the only feature that's a mystery to me at this point, but clearly since I ordered it already, it's not make or break.

Also a bit bummed about lack of vivid color in favor of naturalistic accuracy. I hope Google can add an option for more vivid colors, as its my personal preference on mobile devices -- I like having a screen that just pops with color.

crazyprac

Wait what? u just ordered a pixel XL and it's coming first week Nov? Mine isn't scheduled until 3rd week of November and I ordered the day it was announced... Maybe it's cause I went through Google fi...

redlegs87

Wait what? u just ordered a pixel XL and it's coming first week Nov? Mine isn't scheduled until 3rd week of November and I ordered the day it was announced... Maybe it's cause I went through Google fi...

What version and what color did you order in? It seems the panda xl one is super pushed back for most people. I ordered a black 2 xl just a few days ago and I'll get it near the end of the month

Nipo

What version and what color did you order in? It seems the panda xl one is super pushed back for most people. I ordered a black 2 xl just a few days ago and I'll get it near the end of the month

Which is still ridiculous. Google isn't selling THAT many of these things. They should be able to fill all orders within 30 days.

wachie

I don't think it's supposed to be a game changer, it's just way more efficient. The camera will be faster and use a lot less energy. Plus 3rd parties will be able to use Google's HDR+ tech in their apps. And in the future, some of the machine learning/AI stuff will also be offloaded to this chip.
Maybe you missed the context - I was responding to a post that was suggesting that was a “blast processor”.

It make perfect sense not to use this SoC yet because the software kinks are likely still being worked out.
I don’t think you understand how silicon cost works. You don’t invest significantly into something only to skip it at launch. It seems like Google missed some deadlines regarding this chip readiness for launch.

Yeah got panda... Ah oh well.

Yeah, just to confirm, I ordered through Fi as well and got the black version of the phone. First week of November. Panda wasn't even available to order, just able to sign up for email notice of restock... It's okay, though, not a big fan of the Stormtrooper look myself (but I do find the contrasted power button to be awesome).

JMizzlin

Why can't you be candid?

Can you speak to size/feel in hand versus other phones you've had. Mostly curious about how it feels and looks compared to the Galaxy S7.

NDA. I've got the handset for work.

I use the Pixel XL and like a big phone. Previously had the HTC One M9 and the Galaxy S4 before that. Pixel 2 feels incredibly sturdy and well made.

My housemate has an S8 so I'll compare the feel of the two when she's home!

TheZink

My Pixel 2 will be here today. I’m pretty stoked. I’ve dabbled a bit in android but have mostly used iOS since the iPhone 3g. Shut off iMessage yesterday and I’m ready to go. 🙌🏼

Cynar

Just tried sRGB on my Pixel and everything looks brown 😟
sRGB is how the screen is supposed to look. If you printed pictures that's how they would look. Fucking Samsung and their vivid displays have finally warped peoples perception. 😭

Sky Chief

sRGB is how the screen is supposed to look. If you printed pictures that's how they would look. Fucking Samsung and their vivid displays have finally warped peoples perception. 😭

Sure if you printed everything in brown paper. I'm literally holding a piece of blank paper next to my phone and a white image on sRGB does not look like the white paper at all

Nipo

Sure if you printed everything in brown paper. I'm literally holding a piece of blank paper next to my phone and a white image on sRGB does not look like the white paper at all

Print out a 4*6 of a photo and compare it to the screen. The colors will match.

spuckthew

Just got mine. Haven't unboxed it yet, but there was a demo unit in sore (of the smaller version and in white - just like mine) and it's really nice. I'd actually say it's almost perfect, and the bezels weren't even distracting.

By getting the Pixel 2, I feel like I'm jumping into the Pixel line just a year or two before the product really becomes a distinct Google flagship product from head to toe (with a modern design, maybe a Google SoC, and perhaps another hardware or software feature to set itself apart). That said, I'm excited for my first stock Android experience.

The people from HTC don't come onboard until 2018 right? It could be 2020 before the first true distinct product emerges.

eXMomoj

Got my phone and it would be almost perfect if it weren't for the blue tint that develops when you view the phone even slightly off angle. The sRGB color profile doesn't bother me and I wouldn't be surprised if Google updated the phone to include a more vivid/saturated mode than the current Vibrant Colors mode.

But the blue tint is a deal breaker for me unfortunately. Thought I could get used to it but even after 1 day of use its only becoming more of an annoyance than something I could get used to. I'll hold onto it for a week and see if Google has a response to the blue tint (which is on every phone and mentioned in many reviews and reddit) such as a future hardware revision that we could exchange for; otherwise, I'll probably return it.

Samsung has had the most accurate display settings for years.

it's been since what, the Galaxy S2 that they've done multiple color profiles?

people just go with the inaccurate one.

Fedex says delivery for me will be today, but the last update said it was still in PA. Either way, I probably won't start using it until tomorrow. It's okay Fedex, don't lie to me.

Fedex says delivery for me will be today, but the last update said it was still in PA. Either way, I probably won't start using it until tomorrow. It's okay Fedex, don't lie to me.

Same thing with OnTrac...it says delivery by end of day today but it's hasn't updated from "Data Entry" in Ontario. A bit nervous is an understatement...

reKon

Banned
Lol my younger brother got the Pixel 2...

Why???

I think that the 6p size was way too overwhelming for him. At least he gets the superior display?

Just tried sRGB on my Pixel and everything looks brown 😟

I personally used the sRGB option for a long time after getting my Pixel XL. I just recently changed it back to stock colors to switch it up.

Got my phone and it would be almost perfect if it weren't for the blue tint that develops when you view the phone even slightly off angle. The sRGB color profile doesn't bother me and I wouldn't be surprised if Google updated the phone to include a more vivid/saturated mode than the current Vibrant Colors mode.

But the blue tint is a deal breaker for me unfortunately. Thought I could get used to it but even after 1 day of use its only becoming more of an annoyance than something I could get used to. I'll hold onto it for a week and see if Google has a response to the blue tint (which is on every phone and mentioned in many reviews and reddit) such as a future hardware revision that we could exchange for; otherwise, I'll probably return it.
Hmm, this is interesting. I wonder if it is a hardware issue since apparently the V30 also suffers from the same issue.

Can anyone give an impression on the battery such as on screen time on the Pixel 2 XL? I don't really trust the reviews as I have bought phones with "good" battery life before, and but it really sucked in reality. I realized that the most important aspect for me when it comes to phone feature that it should last for the day with decent amount of usage. I don't really care about super fancy features that much.

Scathing piece on the screen from a verge writer.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/18/16489756/google-pixel-2xl-awful-lg-oled-screen

I'm curious how I'm gonna feel about the display in the long run. Was fine at the Verizon store imo, but that was only 5 min.

I'm more sensitive to framerate than color vibrancy and accuracy. Red green difficiency is pretty annoying! Especially with cooking meat.

Does make me less annoyed about a poorly calibrated display though.

The last thing I want is to feel like I downgraded from my Nexus 6P display which is gorgeous even by today's standards. Really makes me hesitate getting the XL 2. Samsung is the king of OLED screen makers, and sourcing the display from ametuer OLED panel maker such as LG was a really stupid mistake to make.

TMC

Scathing piece on the screen from a verge writer.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/18/16489756/google-pixel-2xl-awful-lg-oled-screen

I'm curious how I'm gonna feel about the display in the long run. Was fine at the Verizon store imo, but that was only 5 min.

I'm more sensitive to framerate than color vibrancy and accuracy. Red green difficiency is pretty annoying! Especially with cooking meat.

Does make me less annoyed about a poorly calibrated display though.

Ugh. This is a huge bummer. Contemplating cancelling my Pixel 2 XL order and sticking with my Pixel XL.

Man itching to buy it but gotta hold off... My Pixel XL is worth $410 on trade in, which would bring the priciest model w/ insurance down to ~$600, which is so tempting, I just can't justify spending money on a phone when my phone runs great.

Kitoro

Man itching to buy it but gotta hold off... My Pixel XL is worth $410 on trade in, which would bring the priciest model w/ insurance down to ~$600, which is so tempting, I just can't justify spending money on a phone when my phone runs great.

Do you have the 32gb or 128gb Pixel XL, out of curiosity?

The Pixel 2 isn't the nice dining room table with the fancy silverware. It's the kitchen counter where you actually eat. It's not as impressive, but it's much more comfortable. That's what makes the design of this year's Google Phones great. They're meant to be of use, and they are.

But if you want a pure Android experience, you'll love the $849 Pixel 2 XL.

Does not compute.

Phionoxx

Got my XL in today. It's on the charger now. Case supposed to show up by end of day, but still need to order a screen protector.

Had one on order from Amazon but people are consistently giving it bad reviews because of the adhesive not sticking and the protector sliding around while touching the screen so I cancelled it.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Top Bottom