• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Dynomutt

I don't have Starblood yet, but I'm going to vote for that one very strongly.

Robinson is incredibly boring and can barely be classified as a game. It's very pretty, but that's it.

Farpoint will be the deciding factor for me. I actually purchase a PS4 Pro and 4K TV but returned the TV and kept my monitor. I want PSVR and cannot wait for Farpoint!

ZehDon

Gold Member
I went back to Scavenger's Odyssey in VR Worlds, mostly for trophies, and I forgot how much I really enjoyed that experience. Simple, but effective. Did we ever hear more about MechWarrior 5, and a possible PSVR port? I know it's slated for 2018, but I'm itching for a full Mech VR title now.

... Sony Cambridge or Sony London's 2nd VR projects could have been bigger more impressive products but Sony saw fit to call time on them. As I said, now what impetus is there for other Sony studios to make great VR specific content when it comes as a death sentence?
I think it's more about spreading risk than a "death sentence". If London became Sony's "VR studio", for example, they'd need to sell record copies of every title, just to stay solvent. That's a big risk. Making a successful VR launch title, and then moving them off to make a non-VR exclusive, helps keep the company profitable. VR is still very niche, with the best selling titles still not hitting the million seller mark. Rotating their studio's so that they all get to take a shot at VR without betting the farm, feels like a strategic decision. 3rd parties are stepping up to the plate, and after RE7 proved that VR in the AAA space can be very profitable, I expect we'll see a lot more.

Adree

What I mean is you won't be playing the game in first person from the character's perspective. The 'gallery mode' thing is what I guess from reading what they have hinted. I can't say I know exactly what they mean.
http://www.wired.co.uk/article/tekken-7-virtual-reality

It will be lame if they don't have some sort of VR fighting since on the japanese store there is a demo for Steel Combat which is a VR fighter (although only on one plane.)

Hesitant to pick up Starblood Arena after the way Sony handled RIGS post launch. The online pretty much died after the plug was pulled on Guerrilla Cambridge. Yet I know this may be a self fulfilling prophecy if everyone waits to see what happens.

I do need a VR game though since my headset is collecting dust.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I think Tekken VR mode is just some character gallery thing where you can just view those characters in VR, that's all.

Based on what? There was a video interview a month ago where they said that VR mode had third-person fighting but not first-person. And since then they introduced a new, simpler fighting stage that they said was primarily meant for VR.

WITHE1982

I'm getting a psvr tomorrow for my wife. Any recommendations for games? Probably going to grab 2 or 3.

Based on what my wife and daughter enjoyed, I'd go for:

Job Simulator
Until Dawn: Rush Of Blood
Batman Arkham VR

Also don't underestimate how good The Playroom VR is. There's a good mix of experiences that are very beginner friendly, and it's free.

I'd also make sure to grab the other free stuff that's available.

The Kitchen Demo is always hilarious.
Call Of Duty: Jackal Assault is surprisingly fun.
...and, if you own Star Wars Battlefront the Rogue One VR Mission is fantastic (if a little short)

Probably the game with the biggest WOW factor for me was RE7 but be aware that it is not for the faint-hearted or if you have a problem with motion sickness. If you really want to test it out then download the Beginning Hour demo and try it out in VR.

How is Dirt Rally? Horizon and Zelda have taken me away from VR lately so a bit out of the loop but have a friend visiting so was gonna show it off and checked the store to see Dirt Rally and a bunch of other stuff on sale.

karasu

Because they don't have the AAA console branding. Mainstream gamers are unfamiliar with Robinson or Eagle Flight. They are looking for Bioshock VR, Call of Duty VR, Battlefield VR, Borderland VR, Titanfall VR etc.in full fledge VR manner. This means hours of gameplay on par with the console version, and also not a console title with some extra VR content (like that Tomb Raider VR mission thing)

Why does it have to be mainstream right out of the gate? Gaming wasn't mainstream in its first six months. It took years and years to get to this point.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Why does it have to be mainstream right out of the gate? Gaming wasn't mainstream in its first six months. It took years and years to get to this point.

The 'lack of games' opinion tend to come from the mainstream audience...who won't think twice to skip over Here They Lie or GNOG and only have eyes for major AAA titles like RE7.

Glix

Oh please

FIrst prove that you understand there is a difference between YOU not being interested in games and games not being available. Because you seem to keep conflating the two.

SONY not putting first party resources towards projects that YOU think need "more" VR or just VR (despite having never played them and having no inside info on their development), does not mean "there aren't games" or "there aren't real games" or there "aren't enough games"

It just means that Sony isn't doing what SPLINTER wants. Would I love for Wipeout to have VR? Sure! Does the fact that it doesn't affect my enjoyment of other titles or any single other aspect of PSVR? No.

I'm sorry, are you telling me I'm wrong to not be interested in most of those games? Or to be disappointed with the amount/quality of games released for PSVR this year?

No then yes. Two totally different things.

Job Simulator
Until Dawn: Rush Of Blood
Batman Arkham VR

Thanks. I didn't realize they had a good amount of free stuff too.
This list is what I was thinking actually. She wants to race, How is trackmania? I saw it on a top ten vr list but didn't realize it supported it

This list is what I was thinking actually. She wants to race, How is trackmania? I saw it on a top ten vr list but didn't realize it supported it

There's a demo of trackmania in the ps store that includes the vr section - not many tracks to play but it'll give you an idea if she'll like it. I thought it was great but a mate couldn't cope with the motion and viewpoint switching despite being fine with drive club.

How is Dirt Rally? Horizon and Zelda have taken me away from VR lately so a bit out of the loop but have a friend visiting so was gonna show it off and checked the store to see Dirt Rally and a bunch of other stuff on sale.

My favourite VR game.

It isn't a showcase game in the sense of looking around and gawking at the cars (the back of the cars aren't even modelled and is essentially just cinema mode outside of gameplay) but it is in the improvements it adds to the gameplay. Never get board of hitting a hairpin perfectly with no handbrake or drop in momentum and looking over to watch the crowd applaud. High speed sections are amazing especially if they have a few jumps and the potential to crash hard.

It isn't a beginner friendly game though and might be rough for people who are new to racing sims but it is tame compared to other sims.

*Splinter

FIrst prove that you understand there is a difference between YOU not being interested in games and games not being available. Because you seem to keep conflating the two.

SONY not putting first party resources towards projects that YOU think need "more" VR or just VR (despite having never played them and having no inside info on their development), does not mean "there aren't games" or "there aren't real games" or there "aren't enough games"

It just means that Sony isn't doing what SPLINTER wants. Would I love for Wipeout to have VR? Sure! Does the fact that it doesn't affect my enjoyment of other titles or any single other aspect of PSVR? No.

No then yes. Two totally different things.
I never said games aren't available, I said I was disappointed with the amount/quality of games available. "Disappointed" being a comparison with my own expectations/hopes, which I don't think were unrealistic.

And I was just objecting to being written off as someone who only counts AAA games, when most of the games I play are indies.

samred

So did anyone manage to play online Starblood?

Got into one match after six discrete attempts to get into matchmaking. The lobby system is awful because it splits players into four camps with no live player count listed. I would call the game officially BROKEN until this is addressed. Shame, because I otherwise really enjoy the action, the variety of characters/powers, and how VR makes Descent-style battling that much faster and easier to control.

On the subject of free stuff, have a scan through your PS+ library if you're a member. Hyper Void has free VR DLC and Race The Sun gets a free VR update next week.

Nesther

Got into one match after six discrete attempts to get into matchmaking. The lobby system is awful because it splits players into four camps with no live player count listed. I would call the game officially BROKEN until this is addressed. Shame, because I otherwise really enjoy the action, the variety of characters/powers, and how VR makes Descent-style battling that much faster and easier to control.

Such a shame, game looks damn good.

bumpkin

Anyone still playing Werewolves Within? Saw my Target has it in the Clearance Bin.
How much was it selling for?

I have a copy of the game that I've played maybe 2-3 times. I've been thinking about just selling it to someone who might get more mileage out of it than I have.

valeu

Having added some a bunch of games to my collection I wanted to give my thumbs up and down to some titles:

Absolutely get:

-Resident Evil 7
-Starblood Arena
-Rez Infinite
-Thumper
-SUPERHYPERCUBE
-Headmaster
-VR Worlds (if for no other reason than to have one VR thing you can show absolutely everyone: Ocean Decent)
-Batman Arkham VR
-Windlands (only if you don't get motion sickness)
-Tethered (if you like stategy games)
-Job Simulator (you need to set up your room a bit to get it to play well, and it starts to feel like a job more than fun, but the game is really charming and cool and really puts you into another reality)
-Call of Duty Jackal (it's free, and the best of the space shooters IMO)
-Joshua Bell VR (it's free and cool)
-Bound
-Here They Lie (this game is scary and wierd and sexy - you become a stripper in the game and go to a sex club)
-Until Dark Rush of Blood
-Volume
-Psychonauts In the Rhombus of Ruin (next to RE7, this game might have the best art on the console. It's a point-and-click adventure game using psychic powers. Made me forget how much I loved Psychonauts. Very slick, great writing, story and characters)

Maybe get:

-Wayward Sky (If you don't mind repetitive puzzles, it's quite cool)

-Tumble VR (it's good for what it is, but maybe a bit boring after you've played all the different types of puzzles once)
-Trackmania Turbo (if the whole game was in VR I was say absolutely get it, but there are only 40 VR levels)

Don't get:

-Pinball FX2 VR (it's the best videogame pinball I've ever played, however I wouldn't pay a quarter to play any of the three tables you get)
-Star Wars Battlefront VR mission (ok, maybe this is a controversial opinion, but I bought Star Wars Battlefront just for the VR mission and I didn't like it. The cockpit was glorious, but everything outside the ship looked so cheap. The background looked like a space mural that you would see in a children's kindergarten classroom; it looked fake and low poly and not like space at all IMO. If you are considering buying SW:B just for this, I would say don't. Download Call of Duty Jackall VR for free. The gameplay is better and it looks better IMO)
-Eagle Flight (another game that other have seemed to like. For me, the flying was really slow and boring, even holding boost. I wanted more of a thrill (especially after playing Windlands). Also, after my initial pass-over of the city, I just didn't find the city interesting or graphically impressive)
-Holoball (I wanted to like it but the game just felt cheap, not a quality game. There was no consistency to my swings. I could swing exactly the same and each time get a crazy different result. And my paddle would constantly bug out - instead of going straight out of my hand, sometimes it would go out at the wrong angle)
-Robinson: The Journey. (graphically the game was pretty but it has some major gameplay problems. The objectives weren't clear and even if you knew what to do, sometimes you couldn't do them until you triggered an audio cue in the level. For ex, I needed to repair a wind generator. The 4 pieces were strewn on the ground nearby. I wasn't able to levatate the pieces at all, until my bot said, ”hey, try levitating the pieces", which didn't happen until I had already walked and climbed all around the level about 5 times, then suddenly the bot said that, and I now had the ability to levitate the pieces. This kind of brokeness happened a lot for me)
-Fruit Ninja VR. (I was like "cool!" when I saw the swords in my hands, but unfortunately the fruit pops up so close to you that you don't have time to do anything but slice spazzily. The hit detection isn't great either IMO)
-Mortal Blitz (just felt like a cheap mobile game that I wouldn't play if it was free)

Next Week New Releases for April 18:

Bandit Six: Combined Arms

Grab your VR headset and man the tail guns of a World War II bomber fending off swarms of attacking fighters, then be thrust into the heart of war, defending key positions against waves of incoming enemy forces.

Herocade

Prepare yourself to enter the awe-inspiring world of virtual reality with HeroCade, the ultimate gaming bundle. HeroCade is a compilation of nine experiences that includes two award-winning titles available for the first time on PlayStation: Dreadhalls and Sisters.

Race The Sun
We're happy to announce a free upcoming update for the PS4 version of Race The Sun, including PS VR support, a new game mode, and a few other extras! All game modes will be playable in VR.

VR Invaders

Dive into a story-driven sci-fi shooter that pushes your PS VR hardware to its limits.Blow your enemies to pieces in frenzied shooter action. Leave a trail of destruction as you turn each of the highly detailed levels into a virtual scrapyard.

April is PSVR Month

Ended up running into a launch bundle so got vr worlds and downloaded a bunch of demos to try out. Really enjoying it so far just have to wait for the wife to get home now. Forgot to try a 3d movie how are they?

Ended up running into a launch bundle so got vr worlds and downloaded a bunch of demos to try out. Really enjoying it so far just have to wait for the wife to get home now. Forgot to try a 3d movie how are they?

3D movies are pretty good actually with the improved cinema mode.

As someone who doesn't play many driving games I absolutely love DiRT Rally VR. It is one of the "Must Buys" on PSVR. Such a cool experience, especially on the Pro.

Managed to grab Rush of Blood and Werewolves Within at Target for 5 and 9 bucks respectively.

Werewolves is pretty fun though I can't imagine it being very active except for weekends.

Also random, but did Sony patch something with the VR that makes the image a little sharper? Maybe it's just cause I didn't use my headset for a few months but the image quality feels a little more focused on my end.

Also random, but did Sony patch something with the VR that makes the image a little sharper? Maybe it's just cause I didn't use my headset for a few months but the image quality feels a little more focused on my end.

The last PSVR update improved the tracking and the image quality in cinema mode. Also added 3D support. Other than that some of the VR titles have been getting improved graphical enhancement patches either pro or non-pro.

So it's not just you.

joeblow

Also, you can sharpen 3D Blu Ray movies even more if you start a flick, hit the option button, choose settings and change noise reduction from 1 to 0.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
I need to add friends that play Werewolves Within. I also plan on getting Star Trek Bridge Crew. PSN ID is LagunaX321.

So Herocade looks like a real mixed bag. VR Invaders looks like something I'm going to pick up though, as Farpoint is a ways off (and the gun bundle is not available on Amazon??).

For anyone curious about Job Simulator on PSVR, here is my friend Ray trying it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBP1eLXz2g0

Recent tracking improvements made this very nice, though unfortunately my room is not very spacious.

valeu

i want to make another comment about psychonauts rhombus of ruin. that game has the clearest, cleanest, sharpest, most perfect titles from beginning to end credits of any game on the console. i don't know why, but most psvr game have terrible jaggies in the titles....including the "sony entertainment presents" in some cases. psychonauts proves that that titles don't need to have jaggies. is it that developers just don't care?

Top Bottom