• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you got an NES Classic, did you end up playing it much? Are you still playing it?

Oh yeah, NES Mini was how I discovered my lord and savior Bubble Bobble, which I still engage in now and then.

Sooo sugary sweet, like Kirby's Adventure. (Speaking of which, I am so, so happy to own a emulated version of that game that doesn't have the VC filter. Best NES game deserves no less.

First time playing Metroid? It holds up much better than people say, IMO.

Second time, actually. First time was the ambassador version on 3DS; actually, I was so into it that I plowed through it in three days while starting college, LOL

I agree, it has problems but I love the atmosphere/getting lost as I gradually upgrade my arsenal. Screw Attack and Ice Beam FTW

I wanted to do a 100% run but with Samus Returns coming out I wanna play Metroid 2 again soon, so I'm wrapping it up tomorrow. Maybe another time.

cordy

Banned
Still wish I had one, of course I'd be playing. I was thinking about some of those games the other day actually.

sikkinixx

I use it with friends. It's a great little thing that on a few years when my son is old enough will be great to use with him.

That and the menu music is worh $80 on its own.

MisterR

It's a lot like backwards compatibility in consoles. It's cool as hell in theory and it seems like you'll get a lot of use out of it, but you're usually gonna play something new on your current consoles when you sit down by the tv.

I spent months looking for one for my autistic brother who loved the nes... He played it once and went back to using his cheap Chinese knockoff with his original carts... I never found another one and i couldn't work up the nerve to ask for it back despite desperately wanting it...

Sigh, such is life.

bender

What time is it?
I got a US version thanks to Wario64 posting a Target pre-order way back when, which they fulfilled. I also imported a Japanese version. I haven't opened either. I have no intention of selling either.

Allforce

This thread

is fucking maddening.

maddening

Am I being trolled right now? This thread is infuriating.

It really is.

I don't think I've been more upset at a thread here.

I am dead serious.

Seriously haha

GAF aint for gamers. this fuckin thread.

Haha, dying.

It's just another LOLNintendo meme at this point. I'm almost 40 and when this thing got announced the sheer amount non-gamer friends/parents posting about how they were psyched and wanted to get one for themselves, kids, etc for Xmas that year was pretty amazing. Only to see it just discontinued 6 months later and basically none of them ever being able to find one.

"US GAMERS AM I RIGHT?" Fucking 90% of them sitting in boxes waiting to appreciate in value. Can't knock the hustle I suppose.

Got mine from a buddy who worked at GameStop and played it a lot. Kind of perfect for me actually. Finally beat Mario and Zelda 1. Not playing it at the moment because I'm playing other games, but I'm really glad I got one.

But man, the shady shit my friend told me GameStop employees were pulling with it...

We have 2. Paid MSRP for them. One in my kids room the other in the living room. We play them from time to time.
I don't buy games to leave them boxed up. I buy games to play and enjoy.

Wow. I haven't played on mine in months but I thought I was one of the few people who actually used it the least! I played every single game on it at least for a few minutes but some I played for hours (Final Fantasy, Zelda, Mario games and I played Dr. Mario WAY more often than should be considered healthy).

Now I guess I don't feel too bad. I was thinking just the other day how fun it would be to play a few games of Tecmo Bowl with my older son before he heads off to college in the fall. He also played a hell of a lot of Pac-Man on it. .

I also brought it with me to visit my parents for a week. Me and my brother had a lot of fun goofing off with it.

I definitely got a kick out of it and will be playing it again sometime soon so it wasn't a waste of money to me.

samar11

Mine is still in the box in mint condition, i will open it eventually but need to have everything in good condition for when it goes back into the box lol
Bring on SNES!

Indelible

I played it alot for the first few weeks, but I haven't touched it in months. To many awesome games that I want to play on PS4 and Steam instead.

cHaOs667

I flashed it, enhanced it and still play it with my kids.

...the only thing that still bugs me is that BigN never included an online shop to legally enhance it... wtf!?

sn0man

Oh yeah, NES Mini was how I discovered my lord and savior Bubble Bobble, which I still engage in now and then.

Sooo sugary sweet, like Kirby's Adventure. (Speaking of which, I am so, so happy to own a emulated version of that game that doesn't have the VC filter. Best NES game deserves no less.

Second time, actually. First time was the ambassador version on 3DS; actually, I was so into it that I plowed through it in three days while starting college, LOL

I agree, it has problems but I love the atmosphere/getting lost as I gradually upgrade my arsenal. Screw Attack and Ice Beam FTW

I wanted to do a 100% run but with Samus Returns coming out I wanna play Metroid 2 again soon, so I'm wrapping it up tomorrow. Maybe another time.

I personally agree regarding Metroid. The dark black backgrounds and simple music set a dangerous atmosphere. The challenging difficulty just hammered it home. I played through it about 4 years back for the first time on cart and though I'm moving on to other games I am darn impressed by it.

Halabane

In the box on display. It's not a lack of interest in opening and playing it, more like this has been a great year for games and my other hobbies, so time has been the issue. I was very lucky to get one.

Played it for about 20 minutes total. Gonna be totally honest, I'm pretty sure I've lost the controller for it. It was a waste of money. The stock selection of games were pretty bad for the most part.

Zutrax

It's hooked up directly to my computer monitor on my desk, I'll boot it up every once in awhile for a quick play of something while I'm waiting for things to download or searching for matches in games, etc.

It works really well as a quick distraction, but I'm not using it much for dedicated play. I have a real NES hooked up to an old setup for that sort of thing.

However, with the SNES Classic I'd probably actually get more play out of it. I have a much greater fondness for SNES titles and they're generally more fleshed out "fuller" games. So I would probably make dedicated time for it over my NES Classic.

Cepheus

Like others have said, this thread is so sad to read through. At least my Retron 5 got plenty of use before I boxed it back up.

mindatlarge

I've played it for several hours so far but I'm far from retiring it. Got it late, right at the end of production through Wal-Mart. I have the box displayed and I keep the system hooked up to one of my monitors.

Still have it in the box, was originally just going to play it but then saw it going for like $300 on ebay. Thought of selling it but I've been sitting on it since.

butman

It's still boxed.

Still in the box.

Unopened and on display on a shelf.

Mine is still sealed on my kitchen table. I was waiting to see if value would keep creeping up so I could use it to pay off a credit card. But it's hovered at about $150 so I just held onto it. I don't have any time to play it right now so it just hangs out on my kitchen table waiting to be opened.

Hacked it to play a billion games so it gets regular use at my house by my wife or myself

Still boxed.

I consider it holy and rare since everyone was fighting for it, lol.

I also have the Famicom Mini boxed.

Still boxed. The graphics are too shitty for me to play now.

Damn! An empty box would have been more profitable and would have served the same purpose.

Mine sits on my side table in my office/game room. Steam Link fits perfection on top of it, and the Echo Dot first perfectly on top of that. I just switch the cord between the Mini and the Link. Ended up making the 3ft joke of a cord length better for me, since now there isn't any more give than what's needed.

I do still play it. Less now since work has picked up and there are other games that I haven't played, but it's still fun to turn on Adventure of Link or Simon's Quest and play for a few minutes.

Never bought one but played it and thought it was a great idea and thought it's definitely worth buying. That being said, there aren't many NES games I want to revisit and the ones I have a strong connection/nostalgia for I already own for the most part. The SNES mini though.... now that's something that is easily worth buying even though I only need a few games from it

SeppOCE

Fuck I hope the countless people who have a nes classic and don't use it sell it to someone who will one day at least. I'd kill for one :/

mindatlarge

Mine sits on my side table in my office/game room. Steam Link fits perfection on top of it, and the Echo Dot first perfectly on top of that. I just switch the cord between the Mini and the Link. Ended up making the 3ft joke of a cord length better for me, since now there isn't any more give than what's needed.

I do still play it. Less now since work has picked up and there are other games that I haven't played, but it's still fun to turn on Adventure of Link or Simon's Quest and play for a few minutes.
For like $10 or less, you can get an extension cable for the small ass cord. I bought and use the 6' extension cord below.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...cable-for-nes-classic/5616700.p?skuId=5616700

For like $10 or less, you can get an extension cable for the small ass cord. I bought and use the one below.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...cable-for-nes-classic/5616700.p?skuId=5616700

I know. I just took a look at the situation and made it work out better for me is all. I like to recline, and the dog hops up in the chair with me, so if I used the extension and the cord was over my feet, the dog would pull something down every time. This way I don't have to worry about it. Reset button is right in arm's reach too.

Now, that DOES kill multiplayer, and it's something I'll need to think about with the SNES Classic. But for now, my little stack is organized, clean, and just right for me.

Bought two, gave one as a christmas gift to a niece, have the second one unopened sitting in my closet. I even downloaded all the jailbreak stuff so I could load any ROM onto it and stuff but never got around to doing it.

I was a pc gamer as a kid, only played weird ass consoles like the portable turbografix or the lynx so the NES doesn't really hold much nostalgia for me.

GeNoMe

Unpacked and stacked to the brim with additional games!
I'm not letting this sit in the box just to stare at it. I love collecting, but this novelty item is being used as it was intended.

Now....If I only could get my hands on a Snes mini.

mindatlarge

I know. I just took a look at the situation and made it work out better for me is all. I like to recline, and the dog hops up in the chair with me, so if I used the extension and the cord was over my feet, the dog would pull something down every time. This way I don't have to worry about it. Reset button is right in arm's reach too.

Now, that DOES kill multiplayer, and it's something I'll need to think about with the SNES Classic. But for now, my little stack is organized, clean, and just right for me.
I feel ya. My dog rules the roost at my place too. The things we do for our pets, lol.

Backlogger

I haven't played it much, maybe a couple of hours total. Mostly bought it for nostalgia and to show my kids some of the games I used to play.

The SNES classic I might actually get more play time out of

GamerJM

Banned
I played it a few times and never again, but I consider it to be in my "backlog," so to speak. Like obviously I'm probably not going to play through every game on it, but some stuff like Castlevania and Punch Out are games I never played that I really want to dig my teeth into because they seemed great when I played them. I still have it hooked up.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Every now and then I play some SMB but the main reason I bought it was for my kids to have a NES while they grow up. So, I'm probably going to attract some vitriol since someone could have it who could play it more.

I finished Zelda (in preparation for BotW), I tried with Zelda II but I just can't.
Played a bit to the various Mario and tried some other games.
Used it a few times when friends were over, the nostalgia factor made them scream when they saw it.

I love to keep it on display, that small box is just too cute, but I think I will actually play with the SNES mini 1000 times more.

andymcc

Banned

If you hack your mini, you can set the reset to a combination function on the controller.

Top Bottom