• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura on KH3 for Switch: "maybe after we release PS4 and Xbox One versions".

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe in their incompetence. It's not a first for Nomura and his team at SE.

They can't even deliver a game on schedule, imagine adding an extra platform to the mix.

Ex-Psych

That means no

I think theres still hope. He didn't flat out say no like Tabata when people ask for a FFXV switch port.

He would've said no as well to just end the port begging if that was the case.

They could atleast port the remixes, outsource it Tantalus or something, they seem to be the go-to Nintendo porters

giphy.gif

antonz

makes perfect sense that any potential switch version would come after. As we learned with DQXI there is little headroom as far as development team availability for a 3rd version to be developed at same time. So it comes after as the project winds down and staff frees up.

That reasoning is pathetic, honestly.

Square-Enix is operating on razor margins as far as development staff. 3 platforms is more staffers than they are willing to pay concurrently

crash-14

absolutely ridiculous. huge companies acting like they can't afford switch versions of their games.

It's not about if they can. It's about if it's worthy.

Don't get why it's so hard to understand for some Nintendo fans. No videogame company it's here to do charity acts.

LycanXIII

Isn't every title mainline? It's a weird distinction to try and make just because a couple of them play differently.

Ehhh, 358/2 Days and Re:Coded are more like fillers, but the other two debuted on Nintendo consoles and are necessary for the story.

Well, UE4 supports the Switch very well as proved by the likes of Snake Pass, so a port is pretty viable, but the dev team is already taking their sweet-ass time with the game as it is, so I'm not surprised by this answer.

It feels like they've given up entirely on the XB1 in general. From this gen you have FF10/12/14, the rest of KH, DQH 1/2, DQ Builders, SO5, Nier Automata, World of FF, Dissidia, Setsuna all being SE games that are no shows on the platform (along with other stuff down the road)

KH3 announcement was made when things looked different and they're committing to it, if this game was announced last year I could have seen them just skipping it in lieu of PC or Switch at launch.

I don't understand why certain people say that when Xbox has never had JRPGs sell well on it's platform, especially because it's not popular in Japan and doesnt have much of the genre on the platform, anyway. Like SE assumed KH will sell gangbusters on XB1 but then saw the launch fuck-up, got sad, and said "oh well, we already announced it!" People really think that happened when in reality Microsoft probably put a ton more effort in securing KH3/FF15 on their platform given how monumental those new games in the franchise would be.

I've always felt something was really fishy with KH remasters not releasing on XB1 when:

*Disney games sell insanely well on Xbox

*KH has massive nostalgia/is a big franchise WW

*it would be a great tie-in to KH3

Now there's going to be a bunch of people who never experienced KH (since it is an old franchise when you think about it) see part 3 releasing on Xbox but have no idea WTF is going on with the story.

I feel thay Sony has a very good relationship with SE, holding stock in the company and all, and they have a slight part with certain games not being on other consoles. Emphasis on slight, before the Sony superfans misread my post. Even PC, which Sony is friendly with, saw FF10 release EXACTLY a year apart despite the PC version being done 9 months prior, while Sony marketed it as an "exclusive." NieR: Automata and the drama about the missing PC version and the removed Steam logos from trailer while, again, Sony marketed it as an exclusive (at one point). Not to say that it makes a difference since again, the genre is non-existent on Xbox, but just always seemed a bit fishy.

Now, KH3 on Switch? Yeah, right. I'd love to be proven wrong but I think that won't happen for many years, if at all. I guarantee we don't see the remasters on Switch for the aforementioned hypothesis, as well. Shame, because Switch and KH would be a match made in heaven.

diaspora

I think theres still hope. He didn't flat out say no like Tabata when people ask for a FFXV switch port.

He would've said no as well to just end the port begging if that was the case.

They could atleast port the remixes, outsource it Tantalus or something, they seem to be the go-to Nintendo porters

"Maybe later" almost never translates into something real afaik.

Mikey Jr.

Good.

I want an uncompromised Kingdom Hearts game.

Not "well, we had to have run on the switch, so you only get either Goofy or Donald at the same time"

Max it out on the current consoles, gimp the Switch version any way you want afterwards. Don't care at that point.

Keinning

FFXV sold pretty well on xbox, all things consider.
Square isn't stupid and its not releasing KH3 on xbox "just because they promised". They know the game has enough mainstream appeal to sell well and FFXV proved them that.

Square isn't stupid and its not releasing KH3 on xbox "just because they promised". They know the game has enough mainstream appeal to sell well and FFXV proved them that.

Exactly, which I addressed in my above post. It's crazy to see armchair analysts actually think that.

Good.

I want an uncompromised Kingdom Hearts game.

Not "well, we had to have run on the switch, so you only get either Goofy or Donald at the same time"

Max it out on the current consoles, gimp the Switch version any way you want afterwards. Don't care at that point.

Eh, a Switch version would probably be just lower-res and missing some effects, if Snake Pass (a rather physics-heavy game that not even the PS4 could run at native res) is of any indication.

cuate

Banned

Don't get why it's so hard to understand for some Nintendo fans. No videogame company it's here to do charity acts.

multi million selling franchise with good sales history on nintendo systems. of fucking course it's worthy. switch is very popular.

it's certainly more worthy than a freaking xbox version.

Kingdom Hearts sold millions on Nintendo handhelds. You have no idea what you speak of.

Zebei

This would be a dream come true. KH was my childhood, and the Toy Story gameplay was nostalgia overload

. . .but i think that's all it will ever be. A dream

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Probably the belief that KH is mainstream enough to justify it, which wasn't the case for like the dozen PS4 or PS4/PC only games that came afterwards at this point. And they thought the XB1 would do a lot better than it has in terms of market share.
KH 3 is so old that it wasn't clear that PS4 would be the market leader.

I'm cool with that answer. Not like I was planning on getting a PS4 or XBone any time soon. I can't wait (especially since the announced versions are still pretty far our anyway).

I don't understand why certain people say that when Xbox has never had JRPGs sell well on it's platform, especially because it's not popular in Japan and doesnt have much of the genre on the platform, anyway. Like SE assumed KH will sell gangbusters on XB1 but then saw the launch fuck-up, got sad, and said "oh well, we already announced it!" People really think that happened when in reality Microsoft probably put a ton more effort in securing KH3/FF15 on their platform given how monumental those new games in the franchise would be.

I've always felt something was really fishy with KH remasters not releasing on XB1 when:

*Disney games sell insanely well on Xbox

*KH has massive nostalgia/is a big franchise WW

*it would be a great tie-in to KH3

Now there's going to be a bunch of people who never experienced KH (since it is an old franchise when you think about it) see part 3 releasing on Xbox but have no idea WTF is going on with the story.

I feel thay Sony has a very good relationship with SE, holding stock in the company and all, and they have a slight part with certain games not being on other consoles. Emphasis on slight, before the Sony superfans misread my post. Even PC, which Sony is friendly with, saw FF10 release EXACTLY a year apart despite the PC version being done 9 months prior, while Sony marketed it as an "exclusive." NieR: Automata and the drama about the missing PC version and the removed Steam logos from trailer while, again, Sony marketed it as an exclusive (at one point). Not to say that it makes a difference since again, the genre is non-existent on Xbox, but just always seemed a bit fishy.

Now, KH3 on Switch? Yeah, right. I'd love to be proven wrong but I think that won't happen for many years, if at all. I guarantee we don't see the remasters on Switch for the aforementioned hypothesis, as well. Shame, because Switch and KH would be a match made in heaven.

Didn't Sony sell back all/most of Square's stocks a couple years ago?

That's not really the same.
1. FF games are their own story
2. FF13 games were on Xbox 360
2.5. I recall the FF13 selling much worse on 360 than PS3, but obviously still good enough (Sold horrible in japan on 360 but that's to be expected) Because it was new to the platform (Like how Mass Effect 2 or 3 or w/e sold badly on PS3)
3. If it wasn't just because it was promised or some other reason, why weren't the collections released on Xbone?

I don't know who the Xbone KH3 is even more. The people who only played 1, 2, and never bothered with the other games, but happen to own a Xbone only.

VariantX

Is this before or after the sun turns into a red giant and swallows earth??

Id just be happy the game comes out at all anywhere given how long we've been waiting for it to happen.

Gleethor

At least they didn't spout off some bullshit about wanting to do something "unique" with the hardware or claiming it didn't have enough buttons

Keinning

1. FF games are their own story
2. FF13 games were on Xbox 360
2.5. I recall the FF13 selling much worse on 360 than PS3, but obviously still good enough (Sold horrible in japan on 360 but that's to be expected) Because it was new to the platform (Like how Mass Effect 2 or 3 or w/e sold badly on PS3)
3. If it wasn't just because it was promised or some other reason, why weren't the collections released on Xbone? .

1- And so its disney. Toy Story will sell this game on xbox better than any chocobo or FF fanservice ever did.
2- Again, disney games. Always on xbox. Part of KH.
3 - Their decision. Never ruled out, as the same interview in this thread makes clear. despite having a story that follow several games, the people buying it for disney stuff won't care. i'm a living example, never played any KH game and i'm getting KH3 for xbox for that sweet toy story world alone

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
For some reason, this franchise always seemed like it'd be a good fit on Nintendo platforms, but all the numbered entries have skipped them. With this quote, I don't expect anything to change. I'm not going to hold my breath for a KH3 port in a few years.

If a future Switch revision is closer to PS4 in power (or exceeds it) and has larger/cheaper storage, it would be pretty cool to eventually get the KH collections and KH3 on it. As is, though, KH3 sounds like it'd just be a late port of the game with worse graphics and performance but added portability. That doesn't sound too compelling to me.

Strings

We'll probably get a spin-off on it for sure? Really curious how they'll handle the series going forward, since there isn't really any traditional handhelds to justify making 'smaller' games anymore (I say smaller, but the KH sidegames have been pretty huge in terms of content and story, outside of Coded).

I think you actually might over estimate the KH brand name.

As a counterpoint, the last numbered entry sold over 5m (almost 6m) copies. Granted, that was a billion years ago, but I know plenty of people who skipped on the sidegames and are going to jump back in with 3, just because 'it comes after 2'.

1- And so its disney. Toy Story will sell this game on xbox better than any chocobo or FF fanservice ever did.
2- Again, disney games. Always on xbox. Part of KH.
3 - Their decision. Never ruled out, as the same interview in this thread makes clear. despite having a story that follow several games, the people buying it for disney stuff won't care. i'm a living example, never played any KH game and i'm getting KH3 for xbox for that sweet toy story world alone

I think you actually might over estimate the KH brand name.

I love KH, but it's not as big as people think it is.
I can give a good example right now.
KHUX has had somewhere over 6 million downloads total. That's for global and JP. The game has been out a year on global and 2 years on JP almost. (WHICH BTW KHUX IS CANON. lol...)
Idk much about mobile, but 6 million downloads in the span of 2 years seems kinda low.

Meanwhile, Yugioh Duel Links hit 40 million downloads a couple months ago, and hasn't even been out a year. (I had no idea Yugioh was even this popular still)

I've always considered KH a pretty popular game, but with a really loud passion fan base.
I think many people would literally buy some systems just to play the games. (I buy most my handhelds for them.. I would have bought a vita too. lol)

... i'm a living example, never played any KH game and i'm getting KH3 for xbox for that sweet toy story world alone
I'd highly recommend watching all the games. Unless they plan on having a 2 hour intro of previous games or something, this game is going to be on par of MGS4 fan service/story. lol

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Uhh don't they get other teams to do porting to other systems if the main team can't divide their attention? Which shouldn't be hard for a company like square enix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom