• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Officially Denies HD-DVD 360 Games (Was: MS rules out HD-DVD games "this holiday")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proelite said:
Microsoft should have delayed the system and released one with hd-dvd drive, hdmi, better processors, more ram, and better gpu a year later at $400. They could avoided all these duck-taped mess.
You're trying to be funny right?

Onix said:
0_o

So giving the current 360 a lifespan of 4 years is okay?

why are people surprised? they pulled the plug on the Xbox1 after 4 and half years - that's relatively short, especially since MS is rich (unlike like financial red Sega wich had no money)

so 360 lasting only until 2009? yup, with MS's attitude on console gaming, damn straight.

240pxsega32xxi7.jpg

I actually own one of these^^^ :lol

Speevy

Banned
What a stupid idea. They could get away with it right now if they gave everyone a free drive, but a year from now? ugh.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Without wading through 4 pages of drek/gaf hysterics.......WHO CARES?

I don't really see the problem for gamer. Next gen games cost how much to make? What percent would adding a separate packaging add? How does this effect me?

/thread

gutter_trash said:
why are people surprised? they pulled the plug on the Xbox1 after 4 and half years - that's relatively short, especially since MS is rich (unlike like financial red Sega wich had no money)

so 360 lasting only until 2009? yup, with MS's attitude on console gaming, damn straight.

I like how when their very 1st console has more games and lasts longer than the N64 and Gamecube, "relatively short console lifespans" is MS's permanent attitude on console gaming :D

If the 360 somehow sells 100 million consoles while the PS3 sells 20 million, you'd see each of their attitudes towards console gaming switch pretty quickly, :lol

golem

I hate to even suggest it... but...

30GB Dual Layer combo HD-DVD/DVDs are coming soon.

Enhanced version on one side, normal version on the other?

Errrrr.

If they ever make games exclusively for the addon they are crazy.

Yeah, no
Square
one
Enix
would
Final
dare
Fantasy
to
IX
do
something
Playstation 2
crazy
hard
drive
that.

Razoric

Banned
You guys worry too much. The worst case scenerio I forsee (and this is IF the hd-dvd addon sells well which it will not) are "special edition" hd-dvd versions jampacked with bullshit. Why is everyone on gaf scared the sky is falling with every new news post?

Ordinarily I would say "Maybe. I guess it's possible, but I doubt it'll happen". But since this is GAF, I'm just going to laugh hysterically at BlueTsunami's photoshop.

adelante

WTF?!?

*calms down*

Okay, the ONLY way I can see this work is if they use that HYBRID DVD/HD-DVD disc, make the actual game data ONLY available on the DVD layer and for everything else that reads 'EXTRA', slap them onto the hd-dvd layer....you'll be paying a premium, but we'll have to see how affordable this can actually get.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
How many stupid mistakes have Microsoft made so far with the 360? I mean, real bonehead decisions? I can't think of one. Some may argue about an "early" release, but even that makes sense and doesn't really hurt them in the long run.

Why would they just throw all that away by repeating idiotic decisions of past failed console makers especially when they've put themselves in such a good position so far? Microsoft didn't become a multi-billion dollar company by being "stupid".

Mrbob

I really don't see the problem as long as games still come out on DVD. You can get your choice, either DVD multidisk or single disc HDDVD version.

Mandoric

Banned
soul creator said:
I like how when their very 1st console has more games and lasts longer than the N64 and Gamecube, "relatively short console lifespans" is MS's permanent attitude on console gaming :D

Can't speak for N64, but the GC is still in production and with high-profile releases coming, while the XBox is discontinued.

Also, EBgames lists about 5 more GCN games than XBox, and GCN had significantly better overseas support, so... at best, the XBox only wins on unit sales, and at the end of the year there will be more systems sold capable of properly playing Gamecube soft than capable of playing XBox soft.

Mrbob said:
I really don't see the problem as long as games still come out on DVD. You can get your choice, either DVD multidisk or single disc HDDVD version.

it's not so much problematic as it is hilarious

in that, the Astros are playing in the 17th after Brad Lidge gave up a home run in the 9th sort of way.

DarkCloud

I'm not sure why this would be seen as such a negative. It's not like developers would be restricted from releasing multi disc versions as well.

Or they could enforce something like this:

1143304960-00.jpg

If a developer wishes to release a version of their game on HD-DVD just slap the two version in the same case toss a 70$ pricetag on it and call it a special edition pack. paying 70$ isn't all that great but it beats worrying if you'll be unable to find the version of the game you want do to limited retailer space.

-Rogue5-

Mrbob said:

Well, it would vindicate everything Sony's been saying about having Blu-Ray built-in... I fear multi-platform games and what kind of hit they'll take going from 50gigs to just 9gigs . I know (for the most part) it will just be HD in game cinematics and stuff, but you'd still be losing out.

If MS decides to use HDDVDs for games and they release another SKU with built-in HDDVD drive, they better be prepared to replace all of the units they've sold or (at the very least) give everyone a free HDDVD add-on drive.

It's just all horeshiite that's all.

The Experiment rules out HD-DVD entirely if Microsoft bothers to pull this shit.

The Experiment won't even bother buying hackeneyed multi disc DVD releases.

This is bullshit. Microsoft best think about what they're doing.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I don't see this coming to fruitation at all. Microsoft isn't that stupid. Sounds like somebody got caught answering a question that they were not prepared or qualified to answer.

Speevy

Banned
Well they have different types of DVDs, I guess you could theoretically see HD-DVD/DVD games.

Of course, that would mean that the DVD versions are almost certainly of lesser quality. Devs wouldn't have an incentive to try.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Agent Icebeezy said:
I don't see this coming to fruitation at all. Microsoft isn't that stupid.

I propose that the company that promised to learn from their mistakes in Japan with the XBox 1 managed to compound them with the 360 knows about as much about marketing bonafide hardware as Playskool knows about computers.

Just sayin'.

-Rogue5-

xsarien said:
I propose that the company that promised to learn from their mistakes in Japan with the XBox 1 managed to compound them with the 360 knows about as much about marketing bonafide hardware as Playskool knows about computers.

Just sayin'.

Please refrain from bringing up facts of this nature... They're too strong to be dealt with logically and will ultimately cause this thread to fill up with fanboy-bullshiite.

Tieno

I love my 360 and all but if they actually do this, which I highly doubt, I'm done with it(xbox360).

open_mouth_ said:
How many stupid mistakes have Microsoft made so far with the 360? I mean, real bonehead decisions? I can't think of one. Some may argue about an "early" release, but even that makes sense and doesn't really hurt them in the long run.

Why would they just throw all that away by repeating idiotic decisions of past failed console makers especially when they've put themselves in such a good position so far? Microsoft didn't become a multi-billion dollar company by being "stupid".

No, they did that by being unethical. Like taxing PC makers for each PC sold, not each copy of Windows installed. Among other shady things. (And of course, IBM pretty much handed them the license to print money in the first place)

Anyway, one big mistake MS has made so far was not making enough 360s to meet demand at launch. They also probably should have stuck with the original Xbox - pc hardware model, as they could have gotten more bang for their buck and have easier development.

2 SKUs was seemingly pretty stupid, though now it does let people say that the PS3 is twice the price of the 360.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
:lol You guys are a riot.

Not a laugh riot, an LA riot, but its all entertainment so please continue.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
trancejeremy said:
No, they did that by being unethical. Like taxing PC makers for each PC sold, not each copy of Windows installed. Among other shady things. (And of course, IBM pretty much handed them the license to print money in the first place)

Exansion of Thread Confirmed

trancejeremy said:

Anyway, one big mistake MS has made so far was not making enough 360s to meet demand at launch. They also probably should have stuck with the original Xbox - pc hardware model, as they could have gotten more bang for their buck and have easier development.

2 SKUs was seemingly pretty stupid, though now it does let people say that the PS3 is twice the price of the 360.

A Microsoft fan through and through! :lol

"They also probably should have stuck with the original Xbox - pc hardware model, as they could have gotten more bang for their buck and have easier development."

This part especially is a gem. X_x

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
LOL - poor Arne will have to come and de-FUD this stupid semantic shit in the morning.

It is purest froth.

arne

Stinkles said:
LOL - poor Arne will have to come and de-FUD this stupid semantic shit in the morning.

It is purest froth.

why bother? this was the best entertainment I had all night. well, except for dead rising.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
arne said:
why bother? this was the best entertainment I had all night. well, except for dead rising.

UNTIL YOU RUINED IT!!!!!

We could have had 17 pages of fear and glee from various camps.

I'm going back to the 360 Wiimote thread. :-(

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
jordan0386 said:
Microsoft rules out winning a console war "this generation"

why cant they just keep their mouth shut

2 people from MS that post here just basically said this was false

arne

Stinkles said:
UNTIL YOU RUINED IT!!!!!

We could have had 17 pages of fear and glee from various camps.

I'm going back to the 360 Wiimote thread. :-(

Who are you kidding, come morning everybody is just going to read the first page and reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom