• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. Wii U, new Mario and Mario Kart @ E3 this year

VARIA

I'm guessing the chances of having Megaman in the Smash Bros. roster will be pretty high considering it is his 25th and Nintendo seems to have Capcom on their side.

Poyunch

Mario Kart 7 was perfect. I don't know how they could possibly improve the series outside of maybe rockets or something.

Bgamer90

Banned
just re-reading the message string, i don't think you even know what you're trying to talk about anymore.

Haha, yes... the cliche "...it's you not me" argument.

maybe stop mixing all of the posters in here who disagree with you under an umbrella called "you guys".

I'm not mixing things up at all.

You are the one who said that I was turning things into a console war when I wasn't even the one to compare games of different consoles in the first place. This whole "argument" started from me replying to someone who was doing it before me.

And yes I said, "you guys" because the responses to my replies have had assumptions about me/my opinion as well and statements that didn't make any sense.

MickeyPhree

I guarantee they wouldn't be showing all three at e3 if they weren't worried that Sony and Microsoft were going to blow them out of the water.

When Smash bro's releases it is my time to jump in.....I have always thought until they released Brawl :(

With Nintendo already announcing so many games I wonder if they have much left for E3. I can see Retro's game and SSB4 being the only big surprises now.

Bgamer90

Banned
Easier to have next gen hype for? It's obvious that Wii-U, which is more powerful than 360 and PS3 is a bigger jump from the gamecube-esque wii than either next gen system will be from their predecessors, it's diminishing returns and all rumours which point to it.

Doesn't matter if some people can't see it based on the type of games being shown.

You are replying to me as if I'm saying that it will be the case for everyone. I never said that. All I'm doing is just explaining why ones feel differently since it seems to me that some don't understand.

Also Halo and Uncharted and the like come out a hell of a lot faster than ANY of nintendo's triple A franchises, it IS hypocritical.

It's not hypocritical at all. It's simply based on the type of games that a person likes and/or are interested in.

Why are some of you having such a hard time understanding that?

If anything the jump from SD to HD is going to be much bigger than the jump from 720 P to whatever resolution (maybe even sup 1080p) the biggest next gen games display in. The jump from xenoblade to X is much more pronounced than the jump you're going to see from any PS360 franchise to their sequel on Orbis or Durango, guaranteed.

You know this for sure? Even though many current PC games look way better than what's on 360/PS3?

Games like Uncharted and Halo are just as "inevitable" as any big Nintendo franchise at this point. It isn't a question of whether MS will have Halo on their next system anymore than whether there will be a mainline Mario or Zelda on the Wii-U.

But for many, Halo and Uncharted are games that will make people want to make the jump to next gen. Many of the same people simply don't feel that way about the typical generational exclusive Nintendo games.

A Zelda game in the mold of twilight princess or Ocarina is no less realistic than God of War or Halo. Ditto to Metroid Prime games. Ditto to Monolithsoft's stuff. Also games that go for a "realistic" look aren't any more technically demanding than games that project a fantasy-scape.

Heh, ok.

It's getting obvious that some of you guys simply don't want to understand how some can feel differently from you about the things you are interested in.

Daschysta

Then whats coming out next year? The same thing?

You kidding? As if Sony and MS don't milk far worse. They milk the same franchises 4 or 5 times a generation, Nintendo usually only releases one or two iterations, and the second is often either a different genre or some other departure from the previous game.

Kids are whining that Nintendo releases "the same old stuff" drooled over what at least 4 Halo games last generation alone? 4 Uncharted games? 5 God of War games over 2 gens? The 8 billionth call of Duty? 5 Forzas in 2 gens?

Yet somehow Nintendo releasing usually 1 and at most 2 Zelda games, 1 and at most 2 3D Mario games, one Mario Kart game, one or two Metroid games, 1 Fire Emblem game and a few others peppered in are somehow unbearably milked? It's hypocrisy.

The console has barely been out for a few months and we already know of a Pikmin game (dormant for an entire console cycle), Wonderful 100 (a new first party IP with a world class studio making it), Bayonetta 2 (Published by Nintendo only the 2nd game in it's series), X (AAA original RPG from a brand new IP from last gen), a Yoshi game (there were zero yoshi games last gen). Not to mention the numerous IP's created as downloadable games. That's somehow the "same old stuff", yet that criticism won't hold when next Gen launches with a New God of War, or Halo, or Uncharted or any other game that was milked last gen far more than Nintendo's staple IP's.

Zarovitch

I wonder what kind of Mario they will show.
Something like Galaxy or something new. I think it could be fun to have bigger level with plenty of thing to do.

Doesn't matter if some people can't see it based on the type of games being shown.

You are replying to me as if I'm saying that it will be the case for everyone. I never said that. All I'm doing is just explaining why ones feel differently since it seems to me that some don't understand.

It's not hypocritical at all. It's simply based on the type of games that a person likes and/or are interested in.

You know this for sure? Even though many current PC games look way better than what's on 360/PS3?

But for many, Halo and Uncharted are games that will make people want to make the jump to next gen. Many of the same people simply don't feel that way about the typical generational exclusive Nintendo games.

Heh, ok.

It's getting obvious that some of you guys simply don't want to understand how some can feel differently from you about the things you are interested in.
Who are you speaking for exactly? And it really isn't hypocritical to come down on certain games for being expected sequels and not others?

Daschysta

All 3 of those games being present guarantees Nintendo's E3 being one of their best. That's notwithstanding any suprises, which there always are. We're almost certain to at least get confirmation on what Retro is working on, if that debug list from mii-verse is correct as it seems to be we're going to get confirmation on Metal Gear Solid. Nintendo is also said they are collaborating on even more games to get exclusives from Japanese devs... It's going to be crazy.

udivision

Paper Mario introduce some lore and content, are those game in Mushroom Kingdom?

Yes. It was an RPG/Adventure with a story and lore and content. The Muhsroom Kingdom in PM isn't the MK in any other game. The MK depends on the game it's in, and not theother way around. It doesn't have any inherent aspects other than a few Mario tropes... IDK, I think of it like saying "I want a game that looks like Zelda" when there isn't too much constancy in how Zelda looks to begin wit. If that makes sense.

EDIT: Well, I guess "I want to explore the mushroom Kingdom" works with the unsaid notion that this particular MK would be worth exploring, since what the MK is isn't set in stone.

spliced

It doesn't get any better than new 3D Mario in playable form at E3

I like how Nintendo announce it early to get hype going and then show it later. Not being a surprise at E3 doesn't take much away from it. Seeing it in action is the thrill.

Bgamer90

Banned
Who are you speaking for exactly?

People who aren't getting super excited at a new Mario and Mario Kart coming to the Wii U.

And it really isn't hypocritical to come down on certain games for being expected sequels and not others?

It's not about them being sequels. It's simply about them being games that will make people want to jump in and buy a $300+ console.

Bgamer90

Banned
You kidding? As if Sony and MS don't milk far worse. They milk the same franchises 4 or 5 times a generation, Nintendo usually only releases one or two iterations, and the second is often either a different genre or some other departure from the previous game.

Kids are whining that Nintendo releases "the same old stuff" drooled over what at least 4 Halo games last generation alone? 4 Uncharted games? 5 God of War games over 2 gens? The 8 billionth call of Duty? 5 Forzas in 2 gens?

Yet somehow Nintendo releasing usually 1 and at most 2 Zelda games, 1 and at most 2 3D Mario games, one Mario Kart game, one or two Metroid games, 1 Fire Emblem game and a few others peppered in are somehow unbearably milked? It's hypocrisy.

The console has barely been out for a few months and we already know of a Pikmin game (dormant for an entire console cycle), Wonderful 100 (a new first party IP with a world class studio making it), Bayonetta 2 (Published by Nintendo only the 2nd game in it's series), X (AAA original RPG from a brand new IP from last gen), a Yoshi game (there were zero yoshi games last gen). Not to mention the numerous IP's created as downloadable games. That's somehow the "same old stuff", yet that criticism won't hold when next Gen launches with a New God of War, or Halo, or Uncharted or any other game that was milked last gen far more than Nintendo's staple IP's.

Wow... you did all of that based on his short statement that didn't have much detail.

He could have just meant if whether or not the games that will be shown at E3 will be the only games that the Wii U will have next year (not new iterations).

Amazing.

Mr. Fix

Bg, at this point it's probably just better to bow out. It's as if your looking for reactions at this point, and I know you're probably not.

effzee

I don't know who you are responding to but bravo!

Stupid argument no matter who its used against. If you don't like the game then complain about the game or what makes it bad to you, but sequels are what makes this industry run. And if you can introduce innovation through sequels then that is even better!

Of course I would love more new IPs but I think if you can re introduce and innovate within an established franchise than that is awesome.

Roo

ch... not even early footage?

btw there is still gonna be a 3ds version right?

The best you can expect from Smash Bros will be a 15 sec teaser trailer a la Bayonetta 2
where you can't see shit but you still know it's from Smash Bros, maybe a logo but that's it

and yeah, it's coming for 3DS aswell

Ithil

Heh, ok.

And there are many who feel the opposite. So what's the point here?

relaxor

what?
The stable of WiiU games is beginning to gain that plump, bored look of a Nintendo console with all its expected first party games. WE MUST HAVE THE RETRO GAME FOR PETE'S SAKE.

XXMQ0X5.jpg

lol

What a bastard. RIP Sony.

Verendus

Banned

Going to play devils advocate:

Uncharted is a new franchise from last generation. So was Resistance. So was Little Big Planet. So was Motorstorm. So was Infamous. Then there's several big budget IP like Heavenly Sword, MAG, Heavy Rain, Beyond, The Last of Us, Playstation All-Stars, Folklore etc. God of War also launched at the end of the PS2 generation. It's not that old.

Some of these franchises may have several titles, but it's hardly the same since they have a diverse range of new big budget IP launched. So, the fans don't get sick of it. The only real franchise Sony has stuck to since the beginning is Gran Turismo. A lot of their IPs are there for one generation and gone the next. They tend to invest in many big budget new IP. So, no, not really. Sony don't really milk their franchises like Nintendo do.

What people complain about when it's the same titles again and again from Nintendo is that they want more new IP from them on bigger scale. It's kind of strange since you can't expect Nintendo to abandon successful IP, but there's nothing wrong with expecting Nintendo to have new big budget IP alongside their existing big titles.

Basically, your rant is invalid.

In the case of Microsoft, they have like 2 or 3 IP as it is. So, you have somewhat of a point. But they're also relatively new to the industry in comparison to Nintendo and Sony, and they have hardly any first party presence.

Raptomex

I can't wait for Smash Bros. The amount of content we got in Brawl was excellent. Melee still has the best gameplay to date. Hopefully this one will measure up.

Ezalc

I'm guessing the chances of having Megaman in the Smash Bros. roster will be pretty high considering it is his 25th and Nintendo seems to have Capcom on their side.

More of a chance of having boring ass Ryu than Megaman considering not even Capcom seems to care about their own "mascot" anymore.

People who aren't getting super excited at a new Mario and Mario Kart coming to the Wii U.

It's not about them being sequels. It's simply about them being games that will make people want to jump in and buy a $300+ console.
Them being expected sequels is what the conversation started about.

That it's not wrong or hypocritical for people to feel the way that I described in my post as others were trying to imply.
Not to be excited over one or the other, but to come down on one for expected sequels and not the other is hypocritical though, gameplay tweaks and graphical improvements will come in all sequels.

Beth Cyra

More of a chance of having boring ass Ryu than Megaman considering not even Capcom seems to care about their own "mascot" anymore.
Nah, with X, Pokemon X, and Project X Zone all hitting Nintendo platforms its the perfect time to let the original X star in his first fighter.

DaBoss

That it's not wrong or hypocritical for people to feel the way that I described in my post as others were trying to imply.

This is true also. Nothing wrong with not being excited over games you aren't interested in.

EDIT: I think I finally understand why people are arguing with you, thought I did before, but it is the fact you replied to this post:
Lol @ people saying this isn't big news because its expected.

I mean we might as well not hype next gen uncharted or halo because... They are coming?

What he says I think is true. Just because the next Smash Bros, Uncharted, and Halo are expected, that doesn't mean you shouldn't hype it up. And you were arguing against (the Nintendo portion) it with your first reply.

Top Bottom