• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Kadin

A good few weeks earlier than I thought it would be. Only just over two weeks to go, can't wait! Stopped playing the beta before Act 8 was pushed out and I'm gonna keep waiting. I'll play all the rest once it goes live.

HYPE!
\o\
/o/
\o\
/o/
HYPE!

*ahem

So, they are still attempting to deploy the MTX patch tomorrow. I added word "attempting" since that feature seems to have quite the technical difficulties.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It's been a LONG time since I've played this. So damn overwhelming with the skill tree and such.

Is there a good "getting started" guide to just leveling certain characters to enjoy the end-game map grind? Is that a thing? Like if I don't care about seasons or ladders or races?

And it looks like this new update is coming soon...Any reason I can't just start some characters now?

Orgun

It's been a LONG time since I've played this. So damn overwhelming with the skill tree and such.

Is there a good "getting started" guide to just leveling certain characters to enjoy the end-game map grind? Is that a thing? Like if I don't care about seasons or ladders or races?

And it looks like this new update is coming soon...Any reason I can't just start some characters now?

The simplest way to get into it is to find a build on the PoE forums that sounds interesting to you and follow their skill tree.

I think I had a Cyclone Marauder build for my first, was able to get up to some of the mid-tier maps without having to buy anything.

For example

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1827418

LogicStep

So should I wait until this patch hits or can I start playing now? I asked about starting this game a couple of months back and was told to wait.

Baliis

So should I wait until this patch hits or can I start playing now? I asked about starting this game a couple of months back and was told to wait.

Couldn't hurt to jump in and at least check out the basics, check out the skill tree, how skill gems work, the currency system, etc even if you don't get too invested now.

I told myself I was gonna wait and not play too much before the patch and now Ive played up to 85 as ranger and 88 as marauder, whoops. I think I'm better off for it though, I have a good grasp now of what sort of stats to look for on gear, how to set up my flasks, setting gem links with stuff like curse on hit or cast when damage taken to actually be useful, etc.

3.0 is especially aimed at improving the new player experience. Leveling has been improved drastically, tutorials are better etc. In 3.0, you will play trough a single continuous campaign of 10 unique acts, as opposed current way of doing same 4 acts on 3 different difficulties (same content 3 times over).

If you are fine with how current (pre-3.0) way of playing sounds like, you can start playing now. Just keep in mind that a new league starts on 4th of August, and majority of players will be starting over then with new characters.

LogicStep

3.0 is especially aimed at improving the new player experience. Leveling has been improved drastically, tutorials are better etc. In 3.0, you will play trough a single continuous campaign of 10 unique acts, as opposed current way of doing same 4 acts on 3 different difficulties (same content 3 times over).

If you are fine with how current (pre-3.0) way of playing sounds like, you can start playing now. Just keep in mind that a new league starts on 4th of August, and majority of players will be starting over then with new characters.
I'll wait. Thanks!

Kadin

The simplest way to get into it is to find a build on the PoE forums that sounds interesting to you and follow their skill tree.
Yeah I'd recommend this as well. Most of the builds on the forum include most of the steps you need to do to get to end-game along with suggestions for gear, the proper skills to take, how to distribute skill points, etc. A very easy way to follow a guide and see what does what.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

So what does this mean? A new league?

squidyj

So what does this mean? A new league?

The game runs 2 permanent leagues standard and hardcore (well i guess more now with SSF)

It also runs temporary leagues for a few months at a time where everyone can start fresh, each league has some sort of mechanic in it, like legacy has leaguestones which let you experience the mechanics of older leagues.

These leagues are what I would say most players spend most of their time playing because it's separated from the economic stagnation of standard which has had items and currency piling up in it for years.

at the end of a league all your characters and all the items in your stash are transferred to permanent leagues.

The1Ski

Haven't played in awhile. Been almost 2 years since I've really been into things so I've missed a lot. Like A LOT a lot. (Atlas?)

Super pumped for Aug 4th and thinking about jumping in early. I know there's always an 'awkward' (for lack of a better word) phase before major updates or content releases.

Any real reason to wait? Or just start killing things again?

Haven't played in awhile. Been almost 2 years since I've really been into things so I've missed a lot. Like A LOT a lot. (Atlas?)

Super pumped for Aug 4th and thinking about jumping in early. I know there's always an 'awkward' (for lack of a better word) phase before major updates or content releases.

Any real reason to wait? Or just start killing things again?

Just start killing things again. Get your feet wet. 3.0 is going to have a lot of changes for people to get used to anyways.

I don't think there has been significant graphics updates for a very long time. Most of performance issues would come from effect-heavy skills (think one button click makes your screen explode), features like breaches where monsters spawn fast and constantly etc.

But I can't say for sure, I've never had problems as I have a very high end PC.

Can an 860m still run this game?

Have a 675m with an i7-2630 and can run it decently at forced 30 limit. (Can probably do 60 but scared of temps due to past problems. My laptop is 6 yrs old)

Only times that get sketch are strongboxes with shit like revive. Dunno how it's running in the beta but probably alot better I hope.

Quixzlizx

It's a free game. I'd give it a try.

I maxed it out the graphics last year during breach with a 670 and a 2500k.

Have a 675m with an i7-2630 and can run it decently at forced 30 limit. (Can probably do 60 but scared of temps due to past problems. My laptop is 6 yrs old)

Only times that get sketch are strongboxes with shit like revive. Dunno how it's running in the beta but probably alot better I hope.

I've played the game since the original closed beta, but have taken a break for the past couple of leagues waiting for this update. I was mainly wondering if graphical upgrades are making the game chug more on older computers. I know that I was getting around 2 fps at times vs Dominus.

I've played the game since the original closed beta, but have taken a break for the past couple of leagues waiting for this update. I was mainly wondering if graphical upgrades are making the game chug more on older computers. I know that I was getting around 2 fps at times vs Dominus.

The biggest change by far is the 64 bit Directx11 client. It forces a few things minimum like texture quality (you can't make it runescape mode through the ini file) but it has significant performance improvement for most systems.

squidyj

I do want to say for those holding off playing right now. If I understand correctly you will be well served to ensure that you have access to all the crafting stations in this league.

Another new skill preview: Dark Pact

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1926159

Damage based on life.. very interesting. I hope this will be available at 3.0 release, might be tempted to try it out.

--
Edit

Summon Skeleton + Spell totem + Minion Life + Minion Speed
Zombies as tanks with necromantic aegis + block shield

I have no idea what works and what doesn't for dark pact skill gem. +AoE? I suspect +dmg and +chaos dmg doesn't work? Spell echo sounds nice? Faster casting gem?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I do want to say for those holding off playing right now. If I understand correctly you will be well served to ensure that you have access to all the crafting stations in this league.

What does that mean? I'm in the camp of "waiting until August", but I'd be up for starting a character and trying to make some progress if it will be beneficial to me.

What does that mean? I'm in the camp of "waiting until August", but I'd be up for starting a character and trying to make some progress if it will be beneficial to me.

You get access to crafting benches from other leagues, but you still have to level up masters to unlock crafting options.

Biggest benefit is probably that this also applies to your personal map device you can get from Zana, since sometimes it takes a while to find her. But that is more of a time saver than actual benefit since after getting the personal map device you no longer need to travel to certain location to use the permanent map device.

squidyj

You get access to crafting benches from other leagues, but you still have to level up masters to unlock crafting options.

Biggest benefit is probably that this also applies to your personal map device you can get from Zana, since sometimes it takes a while to find her. But that is more of a time saver than actual benefit since after getting the personal map device you no longer need to travel to certain location to use the permanent map device.

Making sure you have access to all of them also means you don't have to dismiss and invite masters to get the stations into your hideout, along with this change they're retiring the claim command.

You also still get a 1% quant bonus on your personal map device before you find zana.

Another new skill preview: Dark Pact

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1926159

Damage based on life.. very interesting. I hope this will be available at 3.0 release, might be tempted to try it out.

--
Edit

Summon Skeleton + Spell totem + Minion Life + Minion Speed
Zombies as tanks with necromantic aegis + block shield

I have no idea what works and what doesn't for dark pact skill gem. +AoE? I suspect +dmg and +chaos dmg doesn't work? Spell echo sounds nice? Faster casting gem?

I think it's counted as your damage so you can scale it with your spell and chaos and area damage sources. I say this because it's a spell that you cast that does damage, the base damage it deals is based on skeleton life but it's still a spell that you cast that does damage.

To that end, Baron (for skeleton hp) + The Scourge (to let you benefit from all the minion nodes you're near) + Doon Cuebiyari (to benefit from all the strength you've stacked) seems like the way to go for scaling it. The problem is getting out high hp skeletons and casting this spell on them quickly and easily. people suggest cwc but you lose so much damage doing that

Kadin

Are you saying that in the new league starting with 3.0 that having the crafting stations unlocked in Standard will benefit the league somehow? Normally in the leagues you start out with everything being reset, is it going to be different this time?

Or by 'this league', do you mean Legacy? I've got them all at Max in Standard, wondering if there's something else you're referring to.

Are you saying that in the new league starting with 3.0 that having the crafting stations unlocked in Standard will benefit the league somehow? Normally in the leagues you start out with everything being reset, is it going to be different this time?

Or by 'this league', do you mean Legacy? I've got them all at Max in Standard, wondering if there's something else you're referring to.

If I'm reading it right, if you unlocked all the masters previously and got their crafting benches, then instead of waiting, the moment you get a master to Level 2 (Elreon always for me), you can plunk down all the crafting benches.

As said earlier, it really only is useful for Zana's bench. Never needing to set foot in the lab is a really good thing

Got my league starter down for 3.0. Doing a Life RF Chieftan. At 82 sitting at 6700 life with 1,300 hp/s regen on zero endurance charges. Just did my uberlab on it and it was a piece of cake.

I have pretty shit gear, too. Only thing I paid any amount of currency for was a Doryani's and that thing's price is incredibly inflated thanks to beta. All in all. On legacy right now I would I have about 20-30c of investment. Pour a few exalts into it and I could see 8-9k life pretty easily.

Wallach

Got my league starter down for 3.0. Doing a Life RF Chieftan. At 82 sitting at 6700 life with 1,300 hp/s regen on zero endurance charges. Just did my uberlab on it and it was a piece of cake.

I have pretty shit gear, too. Only thing I paid any amount of currency for was a Doryani's and that thing's price is incredibly inflated thanks to beta. All in all. On legacy right now I would I have about 20-30c of investment. Pour a few exalts into it and I could see 8-9k life pretty easily.

Had a lot of fun with the Juggernaut version of life-based RF. Only thing I didn't have enough DPS to kill first attempt was Shaper, and with the beta changes to RF I suspect it'd be a lot easier. I may run it again for Fall of Oriath launch, it's such a chill farming build once you get rolling gear-wise.

Had a lot of fun with the Juggernaut version of life-based RF. Only thing I didn't have enough DPS to kill first attempt was Shaper, and with the beta changes to RF I suspect it'd be a lot easier. I may run it again for Fall of Oriath launch, it's such a chill farming build once you get rolling gear-wise.

It's so easy to start up, too. All you really need to get started is the rise of the pheonix shield and those things are pretty cheap. With some decent gear and a few more levels 9k life should be easily doable.

Orgun

I've always wanted to try a Life RF build, was there a build you followed?

I did kind of. I piggy backed off of Demi's strength and life based RF and tweaked the tree quite a bit for more damage and some better pathing. Ended with more life and better damage but less aoe. I did follow the gem setup in his guide though but took out the Molten Shell cwdt set up because it was messing with elemental equilibrium.

I can post a pastebin link to it when I get home from work in a few hours. I have the endgame tree saved in path of building.

Gear wise. Rise of the Phoenix is the only mandatory unique. Belly of the beast is a good option of you want links, otherwise use a kaoms heart or a high strength and life roll rare. Need one amulet with added cold damage to proc elemental equilibrium with your shield charge.

Just plug in rare items everywhere else and a Ruby flask, basalt flask, and a witches brew as you get some currency.

I did kind of. I piggy backed off of Demi's strength and life based RF and tweaked the tree quite a bit for more damage and some better pathing. Ended with more life and better damage but less aoe. I did follow the gem setup in his guide though but took out the Molten Shell cwdt set up because it was messing with elemental equilibrium.

I can post a pastebin link to it when I get home from work in a few hours. I have the endgame tree saved in path of building.

Gear wise. Rise of the Phoenix is the only mandatory unique. Belly of the beast is a good option of you want links, otherwise use a kaoms heart or a high strength and life roll rare. Need one amulet with added cold damage to proc elemental equilibrium with your shield charge.

Just plug in rare items everywhere else and a Ruby flask, basalt flask, and a witches brew as you get some currency.

Here's the path of building link to the tree. Doesn't have all of the gem links in there and it's a level 100 tree.

Go to Duelist area first and grab those nodes. Then work your way back up to shaper node grabbing barbarism and arsonist along the way. Then head up to holy fire. Then after that just fill in with what's needed for you at the time. Grab some life nodes along the way.

https://pastebin.com/WTRvDh1K

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Thanks for this. I'll probably spend a little time with the game for a bit then.

This is a SUPER dumb request, but are there any good "starter" builds that require no gear to get up and running? Just so I can get my hands dirty with the game again?

Thanks for this. I'll probably spend a little time with the game for a bit then.

This is a SUPER dumb request, but are there any good "starter" builds that require no gear to get up and running? Just so I can get my hands dirty with the game again?

Warchief totems zerker with a 2H axe. Can get you decently far into maps with crap gear.

Orgun

Here's the path of building link to the tree. Doesn't have all of the gem links in there and it's a level 100 tree.

Go to Duelist area first and grab those nodes. Then work your way back up to shaper node grabbing barbarism and arsonist along the way. Then head up to holy fire. Then after that just fill in with what's needed for you at the time. Grab some life nodes along the way.

Awesome, thank you very much.

Awesome, thank you very much.

No problem.

Now remember. The more life you have. The more damage you do. So taking life nodes is essentially damage nodes. I'm at 7.1k life right now and I'm clearing t10s very comfortably and my gear is pretty crap. I'll probably be at 8.5k if I grab a kaoms heart and root.

Anyone in the beta itching to do daggers? I've got a Bino's and Doubting sitting around, catching dust. I really don't get how they're releasing in nine days when Act 9 isn't even testable

Anyone in the beta itching to do daggers? I've got a Bino's and Doubting sitting around, catching dust. I really don't get how they're releasing in nine days when Act 9 isn't even testable

Act 9 and 10 were never going to be in the beta. They said that when they accounced the beta. It's most likely already finished.

squidyj

I think there's a number of dead points in that tree and I'm unconvinced how useful chieftain is. Using mostly the same gear with a few swaps (don't sleep on belt of the deceiver) I came up with this Zerker RF Tree.

https://pastebin.com/4R7wu8La

I think there's a number of dead points in that tree and I'm unconvinced how useful chieftain is. Using mostly the same gear with a few swaps (don't sleep on belt of the deceiver) I came up with this Zerker RF Tree.

https://pastebin.com/4R7wu8La

Your tree definitely has some better pathing than mine. I switched chieftan and lost about 300k dot dps but I gained 1k regen. So zerker will most likely be better long term over chieftan, especially if you want to get to guardians and shaper. You'll need that DPS.

squidyj

Your tree definitely has some better pathing than mine. I switched chieftan and lost about 300k dot dps but I gained 1k regen. So zerker will most likely be better long term over chieftan, especially if you want to get to guardians and shaper. You'll need that DPS.

the other thing to remember is zerker will let you get 100% enduring cry uptime (contingent on an increased duration support) and heals you for 25% hp every time you cast it (once every 2 seconds). I obviously made some changes according to my own preference (like taking blood magic) but every time I see a tree trying to go around the inside of the marauder starting area it sets off red flags, it's an easy way to lose a couple of points.

Also not to be slept on when you go RF is belt of the deceiver, 10% increased damage taken for all nearby enemies. Especially on shaper tier bosses where vuln itself is only worth ~7%

the other thing to remember is zerker will let you get 100% enduring cry uptime (contingent on an increased duration support) and heals you for 25% hp every time you cast it (once every 2 seconds). I obviously made some changes according to my own preference (like taking blood magic) but every time I see a tree trying to go around the inside of the marauder starting area it sets off red flags, it's an easy way to lose a couple of points.

Also not to be slept on when you go RF is belt of the deceiver, 10% increased damage taken for all nearby enemies. Especially on shaper tier bosses where vuln itself is only worth ~7%

I took some of those changes into account and altered my tree. I pathed away from blood magic and moved those points to the Scion life wheel and switched to Berserker. Scaled it back down to a level 85 tree and sat at 800k dot dps and 9.5k life with 2.5k Regen. I personally have never been a fan of blood magic. I liked your gem setup much more than the one I had.

Thanks for the suggestions. Those last 15 points will get me an extra two endurance charges and another 1k life.

The1Ski

Can anyone recommend a good, up to date, video for tips and general guidance?

So many videos I've found are either build specific, 3.0 change breakdown, or out of date POE guides.

I haven't played in so long that I'm lost on many mechanics and endgame content. What would be great is a single video that breaks down:

-early game / leveling
-basic and advanced mechanics
-gear management / crafting
-currency tips
-end game content

Obviously that's a significant amount of material to cover but trying to que up 10 different videos of widely varying quality sucks!

Can anyone recommend a good, up to date, video for tips and general guidance?

So many videos I've found are either build specific, 3.0 change breakdown, or out of date POE guides.

I haven't played in so long that I'm lost on many mechanics and endgame content. What would be great is a single video that breaks down:

-early game / leveling
-basic and advanced mechanics
-gear management / crafting
-currency tips
-end game content

Obviously that's a significant amount of material to cover but trying to que up 10 different videos of widely varying quality sucks!

I've seen a lot of people recommend engineering eternity's videos on YouTube. Check there first I'd say.

Top Bottom