• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Oh

I jut started the dlc

Oh

I liked the tenser slower chapters of the base game but please tell me it allows you to actually kill some zombies if you want later on and isn't just a hide and seek game

myco666

Oh

I jut started the dlc

Oh

I liked the tenser slower chapters of the base game but please tell me it allows you to actually kill some zombies if you want later on and isn't just a hide and seek game

Lol. Have fun avoiding all enemies. Second dlc gives you guns for brief moments.

Lol. Have fun avoiding all enemies. Second dlc gives you guns for brief moments.
Blagh. I'm fine with stretches of that but the entire game being like that is lame, especially with how meaty the headshots are in this game. It also was about resource management and varying up your tactics/weapons and this dlc throws it out the window.

Still, I'm sure I'll like it because of the atmosphere, art, scares and story stuff.

I bought it as part of the complete edition ages ago though for like 20 bucks so no harm done if I don't like it.

sphinx

the piano man
Just finished chapter 15

Final boss seemed like it was ripped straight out of a western aaa game around 2010, so that was disappointing

I have all 3 dlcs, should I look up a story summary first or play those first?

somehow I suspected you were going to be disappointed with the DLC when I read this post.

you seemed mostly excited about the action and the weapon system of the main game.

as it turns out, 2 of the 3 DLCs are just Kidman
hiding around.
there really isn't much of anything else there. both are rather short so it's not that bad but Just know that and forget about headshots and shotguns.

The start of the DLC sucks with some real basic-ass stealth and exposition walk and talk shit. But even though the stealth is pretty weak I have to say I was pretty impressed with how they managed to get a bunch of tense encounters in the DLC with as much variety as the main game. It's certainly not as good as the base game, but chapters 2&3 of the DLC are pretty good stuff imo.

The combat moments in the DLC are surprisingly among the weakest moments.

i'm stuck in chapter 2 of the assignment when the meathook man busts out of the water tank, i lure him away and then open the door but can't open the wheelgate in time

what can I do?

UrbanRats

Finished the game at last.
Won't bother making a LTTP thread, but i enjoyed the game a bunch.

The final stretch was disappointing, having one of the last bosses be a random tentacle moron you never saw before, and then have Rubik be just one big set piece, was underwhelming.

I was admittedly playing on casual (don't regret it in the slightest) but i was keeping my "boss killer" (max damage magnum) for that special moment, and i ended up using only 4 bullets of it, on the double safe heads (frozen in time with an electric bolt... that fight lasted about 4 seconds, lol).

The game as a whole was really lively though, you jumped from one idea to the other, with little connective tissue, which made for a lot of fun encounters.
Creativity wasn't lacking, to a fault almost, a bit like in RE4, a couple of things i would've left on the cutting floor (killer rumbas?).

The most creative aspect of them all, however, were the hiboxes, you never knew what was coming with those... especially brilliant with all the 1 hit KO deaths.
Jank was definitely the biggest enemy of this game, from the wonky animations, to the sometimes unresponsive character, to the magical grabs of the enemies, etc etc.
In this sense, RE4 felt much more polished, but that could be my memory.

On the plus side, some encounters are some of the most fun i've seen this gen, the three that stand out for me, are the invisible enemies, especially in the hospital, with the puddles; the room with the giant spinning blade (and having to make the enemies stand up to get chopped); and the first encounter with Safe Head.
When you understand that killing him is just making things worse, oh boy.

I wish i managed to kill Laura in the second fight, but i used every bullet of every weapon, as well as all the fire traps, and she was still alive, so i just reloaded and hauled ass.

As for the story... Silent Hill this was not, lol, but it was the usual Mikami shlock that's fun to go through.

Fuck Joseph tho, having to grab his glasses from the demon dog because he feels less of himself without them? He deserved that uncerimonious death.

GamersGate has the season pass on sale for 5€, so i'll get that and play the two story DLC now.

Also i should add, i played on PC with the widescreen hack, to have a larger FOV, as the base game gave me major motion sickness.
I hope the sequel will get that mod quickly, too.

UrbanRats

Started The Assignment.
Setting and story are cool, good horror vibes, too.

The gameplay tho... Yikes!
They really need to put their hands on some decent modern stealth game, and take plenty of notes, JFC.

Is the dlc really that bad? The stealth gameplay in the main game is my least favorite thing about it.
I actually loved the stealth game play in the main game but yeah the first two dlcs aren't great. The atmosphere is still there and it can be spooky, but the encounter design is repetitive and boring and you don't have a tool set to deal with enemies either.

Holy fuck the last boss of the executioner completely destroys the good will it had

edit: finished all 3 DLCs now, did everything in the game except the final secret execution chamber. The DLCs had some novel ideas but were also noticeably worse than the main game but at least they did something different I guess. I'd be ticked off if I bought them separately though, got them in a bundle with the game for $20 for everything.

I re-watched the E3 reveal trailer for 2 and (light spoilers). Is it just me or did
they change kidman's voice? She sounds a lot higher pitched now. Also Sebastian's face looks completely different and he also looks 10 years younger, I guess at the end the person he sees sitting in the chair is also him but like... why is his facial structure so different in the trailer? And for Joseph, is he dead dead or what? Do we not know?

grimmiq

Picked this up in the steam sale, having a small issue with framerate hitching. Runs perfectly smooth at 30fps, but 60 or higher I get these small freezes lasting a fraction of a second that are very distracting. I had this with Witcher 3, but disabling vsync fixed it for me, I used console commands and it's does the same thing except it sits at 75-80. Tried using my TV and my monitor (TV sometimes has refresh rate issues).

f@luS

More than a member.
Is the game with 5$ ? It's on sale on PSN (ps4)

I have 21$ on my account and since I fill it up with psn card as I can't use my EU visa on us psn I need to find a 5-6$ game (as I take windjammer for 15 today as well)
Not a big horror player I like resident evil or dead space I need some action no psychological horror bs

Is the game with 5$ ? It's on sale on PSN (ps4)

I have 21$ on my account and since I fill it up with psn card as I can't use my EU visa on us psn I need to find a 5-6$ game (as I take windjammer for 15 today as well)
Not a big horror player I like resident evil or dead space I need some action no psychological horror bs

Yeah for sure. It's action horror. Feels like a spiritual successor to RE4 in terms of encounters, pacing, and level design.

Top Bottom