• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV |OT| A Game of Blobs

Got my CK2 save ready to convert:

Did somebody say blob?

ijxku.jpg

All are subject to the Fylkir and his magnificent neckbeard.

oipic

In 6 minutes the Paradox countdown stream will start: http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

I feel like I'm watching higher beings, or further-evolved humans on the stream at the moment... or something. I can barely keep up with what they're doing.

I never really 'clicked' with EUIII for some reason (although I love CKII)...but this thread and stream and countdown and whatever the heck else may break my resistance (and bank balance) - EUIV seems well worth the learning curve and investment of time, from the couple of hours I've put into the demo, anyway. Looks great!

Kabouter

Do you know if Force Religion is still a war goal? I want to make the most fucked up Europe possible, Allah wills it.

You can still demand people convert religion, but you can't demand people convert between religious groups. So you can demand that, say, France becomes Reformed to give an example of a recent game of mine, but you can't demand that Austria becomes Sunni.

I'm still tossing a coin as to whether I'll play as a Chinese nation or stick to Europe, or even going with Persia. I've still never touched France in an EU. Now might be the most interesting time to try it.

France is pretty interesting given the start scenario, if you ever wanted to try it, now would be a good time yeah.

I've always felt Victoria 2 too short, everytime I finish a game I always crave it to at least go until the 2000s

Absolutely :/. I really wish it covered a longer timespan, but I suppose there's no real option for that. I don't think WW2 would be very fun with Vicky 2 mechanics.

I've always felt Victoria 2 too short, everytime I finish a game I always crave it to at least go until the 2000s

The narrow, shorter timeline is one of the better things about the game. But this is coming from someone who's been playing Paradox games for over a decade and has never finished a grand campaign in a EU game. Paradox games don't stay interesting in the long-run, the best part is always the beginning and middle, and then it gets boring and it is time to start a new game.

The narrow, shorter timeline is one of the better things about the game. But this is coming from someone who's been playing Paradox games for over a decade and has never finished a grand campaign in a EU game. Paradox games don't stay interesting in the long-run, the best part is always the beginning and middle, and then it gets boring and it is time to start a new game.

No, I must become an African grand power and start a never ending war. I demand it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
i have no idea of who to play as

Portugal if you want a decent beginner friendly country (make sure to stay allied to Spain, get rid of the English alliance and try to colonize America).

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
My last game was with France and they were pretty fun. I smashed Portugal, Spain and England to pieces and then colonised the Americas unopposed. I probably won't go them again for a while

The Swedish could be a goer.

Definitely going to give Bali a go in the future but not straight away.

AngryMoth

Hadn't heard of paradox until 2 weeks ago but I've now put 80+ hours into ck2 as a result of the idle thumbs stream, with no end in sight. And now this game comes along! So does the fact that I love ck pretty much guarantee that I will like this too?

Annoyed at myself for missing the pre purchase. Wanted to gift CKII to a friend. Oh well. How hard is this game for someone who only has xx hours of CKII experience?

Sotha Sil

Hadn't heard of paradox until 2 weeks ago but I've now put 80+ hours into ck2 as a result of the idle thumbs stream, with no end in sight. And now this game comes along! So does the fact that I love ck pretty much guarantee that I will like this too?

I've only played the demo, but from what I've seen, there is no dynasty building, aka no named kings, princes, vassals et al. You only manage a nation (and a king). My advice would be to try the demo.

Ceebs

Mine only downloaded 150MB the first time >_>

Had to restart steam for it to get the rest.

So if you are getting a missing executable, this is probably your problem.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Which country do you live in? When the game launches; it'll be the first to fall :p

I am Australian, I'm allowed to say these things. :p

EDIT: Damn, I already miss EU3's map so bad. EU4's is doing my head in. :(

ag-my001

Mine only downloaded 150MB the first time >_>

Had to restart steam for it to get the rest.

So if you are getting a missing executable, this is probably your problem.

Thank you. Wouldn't be Paradox launch day without something like this.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hm, it says I can buy all the DLC, but I should already have the preorder DLC and the Digital Extreme Upgrade from preordering the Extreme version. Apparently I do have the DLC listed in the launcher though. Weird.

Hm, it says I can buy all the DLC, but I should already have the preorder DLC and the Digital Extreme Upgrade from preordering the Extreme version. Anyone having the same issues? Not sure whether my game now correctly has the dlc.

Those DLC have different ID numbers because they are grouped into a pack. Right click on the game in your steam client and click view downloadable content, that will tell you what you have.

Only played the demo for about 20 minutes, but watching Shenyrr's livestream earlier today taught me the basics of aggressive expansion. First game is as Brandenburg, it's been about 35 years since the start and I've expanded west to lubeck, vassalised+integrated Pomerania and had two provinces defect to me from Bohemia (rebels I think?). It was funny, I didn't even know I'd got those provinces then suddenly Austria demands their release, and I was like "WHERE DID THEY COME FROM?"

Phinor

Finally reviews available and the RPS review almost convinced me to buy this until I realized the pre-order bonuses are all gone and all that is left is a game with a high price tag and a lot of content missing (available now as separate DLC). So the bargain bin wait begins.

Still, good to see the game has plenty of players already.

Uthred

For anyone who bought it on Amazon the code they have listed as "Pre-Order code" is not the bonus content, its your free copy of CKII (which weirdly enough registers on Steam even if you already own CKII, thus wasting it). In retrospect I probably should have realised that before redeeming it.

Manik

Woohoo! Finished downloading,... Now onto the difficult task of choosing who to be. It's here where I always get stage fright and umm and ahh for 25 minutes, start a game, then change my mind.

So long, productivity!

Hari Seldon

Finally reviews available and the RPS review almost convinced me to buy this until I realized the pre-order bonuses are all gone and all that is left is a game with a high price tag and a lot of content missing (available now as separate DLC). So the bargain bin wait begins.

Still, good to see the game has plenty of players already.

Dude, you will get 500 hours out of this game easily. Well worth it for $40. The only thing you are missing are sprites and the CK2 converter.

Hari Seldon

Can't wait to get home and play this shit all night!!

I think I'm going to start with Portugal, as it is a fun beginner country. Lots of colonization to do, and diplomacy to keep you out of wars. But I really want to try to colonize the US as Japan haha. That will be my 2nd game.

Toma

Dude, you will get 500 hours out of this game easily. Well worth it for $40. The only thing you are missing are sprites and the CK2 converter.

I agree, I wouldnt really call it "missing content" since people wouldnt even miss it if it werent there, except the CK2 converter maybe.

Manik

I'm sure I read somewhere this game will have Steam Workshop support built in - is that still the case? I realise it's been out a grand sum total of 2 hours, so there's nothing likely to be up just yet, but is it just accessed through the game page on Steam?

Will make searching for individual mods *so* much easier than trawling the Paradox forums as we previously had to do.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I'm going to need to watch some videos or do the tutorials, completely forgot what I'm supposed to be doing in this.

Hari Seldon

Lots of people seem to be recent Paradox converts because of CK2. If you are thinking about the differences, they are mainly:

- EU4 is about the Age of Exploration, so the Americas and West and East Africa are up for grabs.

- Therefore the entire world is in this game, not the limited European parts of CK2. So play as Japan, play as the Mayans, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. Literally limitless replay options.

- Trade and Economics are super important. In CK2 you tried to grab the wealthy 4-5 slot provinces and build cities to make money and keep the vassals happy. In EU4 you try to control trade route and build a navy to protect the trade, and eventually try to grab the super fine Tobacco and Spices from the New World and Asia. EU4 is way more involved than CK2.

- So what do you do with your money in EU4? You have a standing army and navy that requires maintenance. You can have colonies that require maintenance. You can hire advisers (that give bonuses and tech boosts), and the best advisers require maintenance.

- EU4 is more of a "game" than CK2 in the sense that CK2 is more of an "rpg". There are a lot more interesting decisions to make in EU4. You have a World of Warcraft style "tech tree" called "Ideas". You have to pick which idea trees to get, and then when you get enough points, which ideas within the trees you pick to get first. Thus even playing the same nation over and over can lead to lots of different outcomes based on how you "spec" that nation. E.g. You can play as England and spec Navy and Exploration and Trade, or spec huge land military and troop quality and try to take on France.

So basically, if you like CK2, you are smart enough to figure out and enjoy EU4. I'd say EU4 is possibly slightly more complicated, but not majorly so. The question on weather you will like it or not depends on if you want more of a strategy game than CK2, as CK2 is more of an RPG imo.

gabbo

I've always been fascinated by these games (and I loved the Ck2 demo to bits), but always find the games way too daunting to jump into fully. I asked this when CK2 originally dropped as well, but how forgiving is this to the uninitiated?

Top Bottom