• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has there ever been a better lineup in the first half of a year?

*also curious to see what your favorite 1st half ever was

Resident Evil 7
Gravity Rush 2
Nioh
Yakuza 0
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Ghost Recon Wildlands
Persona 5
PREY
Nier Automata
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
For Honor
Mass Effect Andromeda
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Halo Wars 2
Digimon World Next Order

I KNOW I'm forgetting some things.

Short Reviews for the ones I have:

RE7-Incredible game with an awesome story, and incredible setpieces and scares. Setting is fantastic.

For Honor-Played Beta and didn't care for it. Told myself I needed something to play even though I had Yakuza 0 and bought it on a whim with my Pro. It's super cool, and satisfying. Music is awesome. Connections are pretty bad though when in a party

Yakuza 0-Taking my time with this one. Not done yetc or even close really. Probably the funniest game I've ever played paired alongside with a super intriguing story. Game play is fun and punchy, and the characters are super likable.

Horizon: Zero Dawn-HYPE.

Still need to get Gravity Rush 2, and Nioh. Also, getting Nier and Mass Effect Day 1. Already this could be the best year for gaming in...well...ever?

What're your thoughts?

rardk64

This year promises to be one of the best years for video games in recent memory. The presence of both Mario and Zelda alone is a rarity.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Too many games and too little time. I wonder if it's going to dry up for a few months after this initial rush.

It's a great year for video games however.

TransTrender

Gold Member
While these threads happen every year because people buy into whatever short term hype I'm more relieved this isn't a Switch lineup thread.

CEJames

While these threads happen every year because people buy into whatever short term hype I'm more relieved this isn't a Switch lineup thread.

Agreed. It'd just be another shitpost thread.

But yeah, this will be a fantastic year and I thought 2016 was great.

mindsale

I think the first quarter of 2010 was exceptional if I recall (but only BioShock 2 comes to mind). And one of the PSOne spring years was deranged with how much Square content it offered.

I'm curious how this will affect the sales of games overall. Will dollars spent be similar to 2016, or will the apparent influx of quality titles lead to a higher total profit?

LotusHD

Banned
Gravity Rush 2
Nioh
Yakuza 0
Persona 5
PREY
Nier Automata
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Mass Effect Andromeda

What're your thoughts?

Got my eye on the bolded, so far I've played Gravity Rush 2. The ones that aren't bolded I'm still interested in, it's just a matter of when I suppose...

But yes, quite an amazing year.

1upsuper

You forgot Digimon World: Next Order. :0

But yes, it's a pretty darn impressive lineup. And I think it's also a pretty varied bunch. Nioh and Yakuza 0 are the ones for me.

It's not the best and it's not just hype. Every fist/second half of every year is/was awesome depending who you ask. It's all subjective, and since were in the first half of 2017 it's right now.

So what was the best? Because honestly this has a game for everyone I believe, and not only that but these are QUALITY titles not any AAA franchises that happens in the Fall.
Not hating.

Sotha_Sil

Prey and Nier Automata for me. Andromeda if the reviews are good. Would get Horizon, but don't have the system.

Glad to see RE7 doing so well, but I'm not a horror guy.

Fularu

Banned
2003 beats it hands down

WC3 TFT, LOZWW, Golden Sun Lost Age, Rayman 3, Xenosaga Ep 1, Warioware, Sim City 4, Rise of Nations, PlanetSide, Advance Wars 2, Castelvania : Aria of Sorrow, Ninja Five-O, Ikaruga, Amplitude, Zone of the Enders 2

I could go on :p

2003 beats it hands down

WC3 TFT, LOZWW, Golden Sun Lost Age, Rayman 3, Xenosaga Ep 1, Warioware, Sim City 4, Rise of Nations, PlanetSide, Advance Wars 2, Castelvania : Aria of Sorrow, Ninja Five-O, Ikaruga, Amplitude, Zone of the Enders 2

Thank you for bringing this up. Interesting...that's a helluva lineup...

I was skeptical about Resident Evil 7, but yeah, it's good so far. A lot of great things on the horizon so now I''m trying to get some cash for everything.

TransTrender

Gold Member
So what was the best? Because honestly this has a game for everyone I believe, and not only that but these are QUALITY titles not any AAA franchises that happens in the Fall.
Not hating.
Doesn't matter, it's entirely subjective and enhanced by the 'now', but I'll just pull one out and say the second half of 2004.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Nioh
Horizon
Zelda U
Nier
Persona 5
Prey

Most excited for P5. That's gonna be sooooo good.

2003 beats it hands down

eh... that's like not even half as good as the list in the OP

When we're putting Xenosaga in a list you know we're scraping the bottom of the barrell.

alt27

Yes, best lineup in recent memory. No idea when I will get the time but at least I will be able to pick up the majority of these titles in sales etc later in the year

Fularu

Banned
eh... that's like not even half as good as the list in the OP

When we're putting Xenosaga in a list you know we're scraping the bottom of the barrell.

Xenosaga is better than half of what's on the 2017 first half plate.

Anyway Warcraft 3 TFT alone makes 2003 what it is, the rest is just cherry on top

2003 beats it hands down

For my taste (both today and at the time), this year still manages to look far more appealing. Obviously, our tastes differ, but by the very nature of my opinion you have to admit that 2017 can hold it's own against 2003.

Creepy

Good one for me atleast.

Blue Reflection: Sword of the Girl Who Dances in Illusions
Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash
Four Goddesses Online: CYBER DIMENSION NEPTUNE
SG/ZH School Girl/Zombie Hunter
Gal Gun Pixies

breakfuss

I feel like we've had different versions of the same thread every week recently. Yes these games look awesome as fuck. And yes I share in your excitement. But who's to say if it will measure up against prior years? Right now the hype is just too strong to think clearly lol. Give it some time.

2010:

Bayonetta
Mass Effect 2
Bioshock 2
Final Fantasy XIII
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Tatsunoko VS Capcom
Nier
Super Street Fighter IV
Mega Man 10
Transformers: War for Cybertron
Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing
Red Dead Redemption
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Heavy Rain
Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver

I don't know if there's ever been a bad year for games. Games are fun and come out of the wazoo like clockwork. There's always something for everyone, all the time.

2010:

Bayonetta
Mass Effect 2
Bioshock 2
Final Fantasy XIII
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Tatsunoko VS Capcom
Nier
Super Street Fighter IV
Mega Man 10
Transformers: War for Cybertron
Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing
Red Dead Redemption
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Heavy Rain
Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver

I don't know if there's ever been a bad year for games. Games are fun. There's always something for everyone.

That's a whole year, OP is three months.

HotHamBoy

Resident Evil 7
Gravity Rush 2
Nioh
Yakuza 0

Ghost Recon Wildlands
Persona 5
PREY
Nier Automata
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
For Honor
Mass Effect Andromeda
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Halo Wars 2
Digimon World Next Order

Sony is killing it.

Nintendo's offerings are pretty weak for Switch if you have a Wii U.

OP is missing some 3DS stuff, though. And PC. And mobile (yes, there's some great games releasing on mobile).

At least XBOX has some of those third party games.

Top Bottom