• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got in the mail today:
DFwDqU0WAAAcAB4

I blame Narag for this ;p

John Blade

School Rumble is helping with that!

I just need to choose 1 more fun show to watch. Maybe I'll continue with Samurai OH!, but that one is just terrible... Ai Yori Aoshi has been a nice break as well, but it's very passive aggressive in it's tone; same with Seven Deadly Sins. I'll just have to finish those up fist then jump on to anther SoL. Genshiken is alright, but....

If you want a quick watch, go watch Otaku no Video. If you want an OVA show which have action based, maybe Iria: Zeiram The Animation which I like when I watch it for the 1st time.
Kamichu! if you want those slice of life anime but don't know if don't want to watch those right now as they're too many of them. A fun show to watch but you need some time to go watch is The Irresponsible Captain Tylor.

Got in the mail today:

I blame Narag for this ;p
Ahh Spice and Wolf. A romance between a man and a wolf while at the same time, learn basic economics of how to make money during this time while trying to help the wolf to go to her old place. Unfortunately, you will never have season 3 to continue the story between them.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep 123-124 “Tenrou Island arc” END

The ultimate power of friendship on full display in ep. 123, seriously, they don't even flinch in giving that as the reason, lol. Really surprised at the
time skip
though. That is definitely an interesting twist added to everything.

What's confusing is that there was technically no resolution to the arc. Everything is still unsettled and the "bad guys" are still out there to come back and do it again. It really just leaves the door open for the arc to resurface later (probably once this upcoming batch of filler is done.

Now episode 124 was technically the "end" of the arc as they review what has happened back home while they were away as well as the extension of Lucy's story. Through everything else that happens, it's easy to forget that this show really is Lucy's story, but still those were some really powerful scenes full of sadness....

Whelp, hopefully the upcoming filler is entertaining, then off to the next big adventure!

Konosuba Episode 3

wtf is this show lol. Theres a literal member that's a masochist. I couldn't help but laugh when she started talking about the Demon King.

Then we have the Mage that goes on about explosion magic as if it were her very existence.

Poor Kazuma is surrounded by a bunch of idiots lol.

Just T

Sakura Quest: 10-11

These two episodes felt a little off compared to others, not quite sure what it is though but good that Yoshino helped Ririko feel a bit better about things.

Isekai Shokudou: 4

This was kinda boring with both stories.

Cornbread78

Spice and wolf is amazing. I refuse to rewatch it though because I'll never have a new season.

Seriously. I'll have to end up reading what would be the third season if I can every figure out what volumes they are and if they are affordable...

The Phantom Thieves have done it again.

huh?

Konosuba Episode 3
wtf is this show lol. Theres a literal member that's a masochist. I couldn't help but laugh when she started talking about the Demon King.
Then we have the Mage that goes on about explosion magic as if it were her very existence.
Poor Kazuma is surrounded by a bunch of idiots lol.

They are all a bunch of idiots!

Konosuba Episode 5

Aqua is so petty lol. Although it was pretty smart to put her into a cage to purify the water lol.

Also the guy with cursed sword is your stereotypical MC who was given a perk. This show is too much.

Line_HTX

Don't know if this was mentioned, but Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii, or Love is Hard for an Otaku, will be adapted to Fuji TV's noitaminA timeslot in Spring 2018.

After discovering that they work at the same company, a gaming crazed otaku and a fujoshi reunite for the first time since middle school. After some post-work drinking sessions they begin dating, but will it be a perfect relationship for the two?

Cast
Narumi Momose: Arisa Date (Idol Time PriPara)
Hirotaka Nifuji: Kento Itou (The iDOLM@STER Side M)
Hanako Koyanagi: Miyuki Sawashiro (Durarara!!)
Tarou Kabakura: Tomokazu Sugita (Aho Girl)
Naoya Nifuji: Yuki Kaji (Dive!!)

Working adults, YAY-YAH~

And Sawashiro and Sugita in this, whoo~

So I was going to watch a film called Aura Maryuuinkouga Saigo no Tatakai, but I didn't!, so this isn't truly a review.

The first minute is some embarrassing fantasy chuunin thing, which is then discovered to be truly a fiction, a book, a fantasy from someone! That was close! Except the reason they used that scene as intro is because the film is about that, a teenage drama about a pair of chuunin and being bullied because of that, I said 'fuck this' and skipped to the next film.

First, I'm a bit tired of the kid being bullied story trope, I feel it's just the low-hanging fruit for this market. The author thinks "mm something for teenagers, dramatic but still realistic, what the hell I can do.... oh yeah, a bullying story! they will empathize with that!" The problem is that a few too many people had that idea and isn't original anymore.

Second, and maybe this shows a worrying lack of empathy from my part, but I can't give a crap for chuunins, even when it's dealt with it more seriously. I can't even start to think 'oh poor them'.
Maybe precisely it's when they are dealt seriously, if it was slapstick comedy I could give it a pass.

So the second film which I watched after that was Hana to Alice Satsujin Jiken. I liked it.

It starts with more bullying in high school (see what I was talking about!) thanks god it isn't truly about bullying, that's it just the starting point
(in fact she handles the issue well and that plot is resolved fairly quick).

It has an strange, slightly eccentric tone, between comedy, drama, mystery and slice of life. Like some Asian live action films, I would dare to say.
In fact like other Asian films, I'm not totally happy with the humor used, some times I wasn't laughing. They like to use ridiculous scenes which for other people maybe are hilarious, but I'm left thinking it's just stupid.
And about the eccentricness, there is scene that was curious imo, where they kind of forget the main plot and the main heroines goes with a old man to have adventures and end in some poignant scenes on age and the impermanence of life.

The end is interesting in how
anti-climax it is. She sees one more time Yudai, and return to school with Alice. No big scene, no great resolution. Life continues.
If you think about it, it was all silliness, bad luck and two teenagers overreacting.

The film is rotoscoped. It isn't a big flaw in my eyes generally speaking, though artistically, it loses detail in the characters, and in fact there is a pair of key dramatic scenes where it's a real problem, you cannot appreciate the acting because all the finer facial details are missing, and the 2d artists didn't bother in replacing it with a '2d face'.
Additionally, there are a pair of moment where... wait, let me share a still

The other problem is the backgrounds, they look less than ideal. Almost all of them are photos retouched in more or less degree. Sometimes they are decent, but there is a fair number of times where... maybe this was done with 10000 yen and a bit of gum, but you can see it's just a photo with simple watercolor filter, zero effort.

Finally, Hana and Alice have a good chemistry once they are finally together, the comedy/sol thing really 'works' thanks to them. It isn't particularly realistic how
Alice enters in a strange house uninvited and even goes to the second floor, nor it's when Hana totally roll with it despite being a hikimore for 15 months, but whatever.

Don't know if this was mentioned, but Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii, or Love is Hard for an Otaku, will be adapted to Fuji TV's noitaminA timeslot in Spring 2018.

Working adults, YAY-YAH~

How did you miss it, you posted many times on the same page it was being discussed a week ago?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Working adults, YAY-YAH~

cool, i was thinking this was likely to get an anime soon

jett

D-Member
Monster is essentially what you'd get if HBO made an anime. Its pace and presentation is extremely aching to a western drama.

Which hurts all the more since Guillermo del Toro was making a live action Monster for HBO, and that went down the shitter. Can't even recall if another studio picked it up.

I think Monster's many and varied divergent plots are the show's greatest assist. While the series as a whole can feel like it's meandering, many of the side characters that we follow are far more interesting, and even have better character arcs, than Tenma himself.

Sadly I ended up giving up on this close to the end, on chapter 58. I was watching it out of pure attrition, I was honestly bored out of my mind.

DiGiKerot

https://hiroko.otakon.com/events_schedule_detail.asp?eventID=28&id=50530

Who is going to Otakon? We need someone to bring back the good news. Or warn us of the coming apocalypse.

I'm going, but I also have frontrow tickets for the concert that runs right up until the before screening, so I'm not really expecting to manage to get into the screening given how these things normally go.

I'll try, though!

So the second film which I watched after that was Hana to Alice Satsujin Jiken. I liked it.

It starts with more bullying in high school (see what I was talking about!) thanks god it isn't truly about bullying, that's it just the starting point
(in fact she handles the issue well and that plot is resolved fairly quick).

It has an strange, slightly eccentric tone, between comedy, drama, mystery and slice of life. Like some Asian live action films, I would dare to say.
In fact like other Asian films, I'm not totally happy with the humor used, some times I wasn't laughing. They like to use ridiculous scenes which for other people maybe are hilarious, but I'm left thinking it's just stupid.

The movie is technically a prequel to an earlier live action film by the same director (hey, being animated allows him to use the same leads despite the fact they're way older now), so that probably shouldn't be that surprising!

The movie is technically a prequel to an earlier live action film by the same director (hey, being animated allows him to use the same leads despite the fact they're way older now), so that probably shouldn't be that surprising!

I knew it! But I didn't know it if the people behind it (writer, director) also did this prequel.

My Hero Academia 29

The direction was weaker than last episode, but Yuuki Hayashi's music was in top form, breaking away from the generic nature of much of the show's soundtrack to take advantage of a wide variety of instruments and voices to effectively set the mood.

Rephin

https://hiroko.otakon.com/events_schedule_detail.asp?eventID=28&id=50530

Who is going to Otakon? We need someone to bring back the good news. Or warn us of the coming apocalypse.

I'm going, but I also have frontrow tickets for the concert that runs right up until the before screening, so I'm not really expecting to manage to get into the screening given how these things normally go.

I'll try, though!
I'm also going to Otakon, but also hitting the concert on Saturday. If it ends early enough I'll try to go.

DNAbro

Dive!! Episode 4

It's like the whole show transforms the every single time this guy appears on screen

Really good episode and it was nice to have a bunch of characters who had some pretty fun personalities all on the screen. The quiet guy who no one can remember was my fav. I also can't remember his name. Also finally nice to see MC come to realize that everything is not so happy and nice and that his earnest actions are causing issues for those around him, whether or not he is the right or not.

DNAbro

Gamers Episode 3

This shit was cute

This shit was hilarious

This was cute and hilarious

This show has absolutely no right to be as entertaining as it is. The characters are likable and funny and all seem to have good chemistry with each other. Uehara and the MC are great together. The gags poking fun on gaming are also still great. The whole entire conversation on how moe is ruining the Japanese gaming industry and that western gaming industry is doing better because it doesn't do that was hilarious. This is the official GAF anime. This show may pander but it panders so well.

moogs

Neo Member
First E7 AO and now this. Did you lose a bet or something?
Only with myself.
The OST is still Sawano's best (also all the additional songs), EGOIST was also the best then too, 2nd op is still one of the best visually and also music.

Hope you enjoy the whole anime Ouma Shu is so awesome.
Ah, Sawano... makes sense. Pre-dubstep Sawano is tolerable. Egoist is cool, too.
So I was going to watch a film called Aura Maryuuinkouga Saigo no Tatakai, but I didn't!
Good call.

—————

Guilty Crown 3

Shu's home is awfully luxurious.

The guy who came over just to drop off a horror film isn't suspicious at all; he can't only be a foil to the protagonist. Void rules are just an excuse to assault minors after all. One girl actually coveted such a thing... What's more, Inori's carelessness—feigned or not—and the way she's being objectified is going overboard. And now she's brought a firearm onto campus to dispose of a minor threat. Shu shouldn't have to be the one teaching this "doll" emotion, but at least he's doing something constructive instead of moping around even more.

This show has become aggressively questionable. How could no one be using the gymnasium after school? Thriller-esque direction feels abrasive when offset with everyday shenanigans.

The Ancient Magus Bride Episode 1-3

I came to discover this series when I first saw the cover of one of the manga vols because the art looked so beautiful. The art in the manga has this atmospheric pull due to how elegant it looks. I was also curious if an anime adaptation would do justice to the art and be able to create an atmospheric feeling.

Well going by the first 3 episodes I am pleasantly surprised that it was able to capture the heart of the manga. The art, animation, and sound design were fantastic. In fact there were parts in the anime that enhanced the manga in some ways. The use of flashbacks wasnt overused and they didn't bombard the audience with too much infodump ( luckily the manga doesn't do that as well). Rather they used the scenes to provide bits of information through their journey .

The comedy was used at the right moments. This is a type of series that's serious so bad comedy placement could potentially hurt it. However, the comedic moments were used at a timely manner. The biggest thing they got right with this anime adaptation is the music because man is the music wonderful. The OST used really enhanced lots of the scenes in the anime. In fact it helped create a more atmospheric setting that the manga did with the art. The third episode with the Land of the Dragons really benefited because it made it really emotional.

Lastly the way magic was animated was great. I am really happy that they added a lot to the magic through the animations. It really created this sense of wonder and mystery to it which is really prominent in the manga.The background art was very pleasing to the eyes and some are very photo worthy shots.

You can tell this anime adaptation is a passion project seeing how much heart has been put into it. I won't expect everything to be perfect because its anime and this is WIT and they have been known for production issues. However, if they can keep even a bit of consistency it can turn into something really good if not special.

Yeah this is how I feel lol.

Edit: Also forgot about the characters. They really did justice to the characters. Chise and Elias is what I imagined they would be if they were animated. Angelic, Simon, and Lindel were really great as well. Heck the animals were fun to watch as well. I really can't wait to see Chise and Elias progress as characters in the anime.

Jex

You know, Jexhius, I was thinking how the comparison made on your previous post could have used screenshots of the Ghost in the Shell 2.0 version instead, as with it would have been seen as more clearly apparent a visual parallelism between both shows on (more superficial in the context you bring, though) aspects like colour setting/grading or those hazy layers made of diffuse lighting FX more common nowadays... but I'm kind of glad that you didn't! :-D

I didn't want to hurt myself!

From Twitch presenters:

"And we are gong to have arthouse stuff like MOB Psycho..."

... Come on. Yes, a bit different style than usual that's more appreciated by animation fans, but I wouldn't call it arthouse.

Gamers, Episode 1 (Dub) - Okay wow, I was not expecting the first episode to end the way that it did. It actually makes me interested in watching this further.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
By anime standards it's certainly arthouse. They're being honest about their audience.

From Twitch presenters:

"And we are gong to have arthouse stuff like MOB Psycho..."

... Come on. Yes, a bit different style than usual that's more appreciated by animation fans, but I wouldn't call it arthouse.

It's not arthouse in terms of material, but in terms of presentation, how it takes advantage of the medium, it is rather adventurous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom